Question about VSA and snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about VSA and snow

Hey guys, I have a questions about our VSA and snow. I live up on a hill, and it was snowing alot today and when I was driving up the hill, my VSA kepted blinking. I drove hard up the hill and got stuck. I turned off my VSA and I had better traction and drove right up the hill? I thought the VSA was supposed to help in the snow? Also, my biggest concern is that I might have damaged my VSA by drving so hard on it because it was blinking.
Its not blinking anymore, do you think I caused any damage?
Thanks a bunch.

P.S. Sorry I am not a very car technical.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Sometimes it's better for a car to gain momentum by leaving VSA off in order to trudge through the snow, especially on inclines.

Remember, you also need to utilize the 2nd gear start feature of your car, I'm assuming you have a 5AT TL. You put the car in sport shift at a stop, and then shift up and the car will be in 2nd gear. Then you LEAVE VSA and start accelerating gently.. and I think your results may be better.

If your VSA was damaged, the VSA light would stay on constantly w/o blinking. You can test VSA by just flooring it from a stop in some heavy snow and see if the blinking comes back. I think you're fine, though.

Use the 2nd gear start feature, you'll like it.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Cruisin'

Traction Control Systems = snake oil

I live out in the country and up on a hill, so one of my "requirements" for a car was either AWD or a mechanical limited slip differential.

NONE of the cars my friends or relatives have with those traction control systems can make it up my driveway unless I plow it clear. I am convinced that those systems are useless, think about it, they are putting on the brakes to get you moving

My previous car was a 94 Altima with limited slip. One very snowy day I stopped at the mailbox then headed up the driveway (500' in 8" of snow). I had forgotten to release the parking brake, but it went up with little effort than the normal limited slip action.

My 05 TL 6MT has the limited slip, we've only got 5" of snow so far and I'm using Nokian Hakka 4's, so far so good.. I'm hoping for the VSA light to come on at some point, just so I can evaluate how it does in this car, but my expectations are very low and I expect to switch it off and let the differential do it's job.

just my 2¢
Old 01-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VSA Off

I'm resurrecting this old thread to report on my first real experience of the TL in snow and ice. It's an '04 5AT with Kumho Ecsta ASXs. When I say that this is the first real snow we've had here since 2005 you will understand why I don't use snow tires. I was pleased with the TL's performance. I took it into some really difficult situations today because of my work. It got me out of all of them and got me home. It's hilly around here and I learned almost immediately that upgrade + 8 inches of snow over ice=Turn off the VSA! On the other hand, on sloppy freeways it's very helpful. Once again I am happy to own a TL.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
VSA and Traction Control are not the same.

They are two different systems with two different purposes that use some common sensors and components of the ABS system.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
^ Not quite VSA is vehicle stability assist. It keeps the car from turning sideways when skidding and as well is the traction control system bundled up. Both of these systems won't help you out that much going up a hill. If there's snow, the tire are going to skid slightly to cause friction and get traction. If there's no snow, the tire can get traction just by turning and very little slip.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:02 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

VSA is as useful chopsticks eating a 20oz slab of steak.

I went up to Lake Placid last week; made a u-turn and got stuck on a private road...wasn't even 2 inches of snow! Dam i was pissed at my car. Lol
Old 01-29-2009, 02:16 PM
got boost?

when it's bliking..it means drive harder!

I always turn mine off...first thing i do when i start my car..puch the botton and turn it off..
get way more torque and traction with it off...plus get some nice patches
Old 01-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
please read the owner book for suggested driving techniques in different conditions, and info on how each system works
Blinking light on some things means its active/in use, and you might need to let off the gas a bit--the owner manual will say for certain
Old 01-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrisonk531616

I went up to Lake Placid last week; made a u-turn and got stuck on a private road...wasn't even 2 inches of snow! Dam i was pissed at my car. Lol

what kind of tires are you running on? because thats probably your main issue.

i had decent all-seasons on last year, and this year i have dedicated snow/ice tires and i can say that VSA does a LOT more than i ever thought. with the right tires on you dont even know its doing its job, it just aids in not spinning out. the problems come about when your tires are not equipped for the road surface and all that happens is wheel spin, which then results in the VSA slowing you way down. last year i had so much trouble getting in to my driveway with VSA on, so i would turn it off but still slide all over. now, i leave the VSA on and have NO issues at all getting in to the driveway. if you get stuck in a pile of snow then i would say turn it off, but until that happens i will leave mine on.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
mine is always on and I have no problems with it what so ever. But then again its all flat here where I am. But even with a snow fall it doesnt slow me down at all. I do have winter tires on my car tho. i turn it off only when I'm snow drifting haha
Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for the hi-jack, but when i turn off vsa, b/c vsa slow the car to much and just gets my stuck in the snow. But sometimes i forget and overreved the car a couple of times for a 1-2sec, cuz the car wouldn't shift, i was sliding so bad. Anything happen?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^^no. thats what most of the replies in this thread are saying. to get traction, turn OFF VSA and then drive to clear the snow from under the tires in order to gain traction. since your car is automatic, you have a rev limiter so you cant possibly damage your engine.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
mine is always on and I have no problems with it what so ever. But then again its all flat here where I am. But even with a snow fall it doesnt slow me down at all. I do have winter tires on my car tho. i turn it off only when I'm snow drifting haha
thats really dangerous man. specially with a FWD car that UNDERsteers. be careful if you do it.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by paliknight
thats really dangerous man. specially with a FWD car that UNDERsteers. be careful if you do it.
The TL is VERY easy to catch in a slide. I can't imagine accidentally spinning it.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:07 AM
got boost?

Originally Posted by paliknight
^^^^no. thats what most of the replies in this thread are saying. to get traction, turn OFF VSA and then drive to clear the snow from under the tires in order to gain traction. since your car is automatic, you have a rev limiter so you cant possibly damage your engine.

even 6spd has rev limiter..it cuts at redline...grrrrrrr...no fun
but ya, i always turn mine off...you gotta if ya want the full potential of your car
or in my case with the SC
Old 01-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrisonk531616

I disagree. VSA is extremely useful when it comes to keeping you from putting your car into a guardrail or a tree, whether it's in the snow, rain, or even on dry roads.

I don't understand why some people seem to think it's going to turn their car into a Jeep Wrangler.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:26 PM
MC_Driver

It's there for a purpose. Leave it on unless you are ROCKING (back & forth) out of a snow bank or stuck in the mud somewhere. Read the manual.