Question about the RSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
SICK SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about the RSB

What is this product and what does it do? RSB?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rear
Sway
Bar

Rear suspension upgrade. Factory for the auto's is something like 17mm and there are 2 companys that make upgrade's that I know of: Comptech and Progress. Comptech's is 22mm and Progress 24mm. It stiffens up the rear end and I noticed more planted with less body roll (swaying), especially in turns.

I installed the Progress because it's thicker and has 2 settings. Search "progress rsb" and also look up "energy suspension bushings". It's a DIY, but read the threads for install carefully before beginning.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
RSB = Rear Sway Bar, improves handling
more details - http://progressauto.com/store/produc...roducts_id=394
Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Look at this parts drawing, Item #3. That's the Rear Sway Bar.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal

As I understand it, it basically ties the two rear struts together. By holding the struts together the load when turning is "shared" between both sides of the car. By adding a stiffer/bigger RSB, you increase the amount of load the bar can handle.

The result is an increased resistance to twisting and/or equalization of twisting between the two sides. If you reduce body twisting or yaw, you stabilize the car.

At the end of the day on your TL, you'll feel this as a reduction in understeer (pushing) when cornering. The car will have better "balance" and the Rear will "track" better with the front and you can corner a higher speed.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anybody noticed a tendency to now oversteer rather than understeer when pushed to 9/10ths?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94

As I understand it, it basically ties the two rear struts together. By holding the struts together the load when turning is "shared" between both sides of the car. By adding a stiffer/bigger RSB, you increase the amount of load the bar can handle.

The result is an increased resistance to twisting and/or equalization of twisting between the two sides. If you reduce body twisting or yaw, you stabilize the car.

At the end of the day on your TL, you'll feel this as a reduction in understeer (pushing) when cornering. The car will have better "balance" and the Rear will "track" better with the front and you can corner a higher speed.
Good explanation. As Bearcat said it will reduce the plowing/pushing feeling you get in your stock TL as you take a corner. The rear end will be more inclined to kick out like a RWD car.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94

Good explanation. Of note is too big is worse than too small. It increases the tendancy to oversteer which 99% of the population seems to have a problem controlling.

Also, it takes the independance out of the rear suspension. Once you go too big you will start lifting the inside tire off the ground. I've seen this happen numerous times in other cars.

With the stock auto suspension, mine is definately bias toward understeer but I had no problems once I got used to it making the rear kick out in corners by lifting throttle on entry.

If it were me, I would add 20% stiffness to the rear springs instead of the sway bar. Mine on good tires will already bottom the rear suspension at the limit which makes it very unpredictable and twitchy. This issue needs to be addressed first IMO. Then use the sway bar to "fine tune" the balance.