Ported/Polished Upper Intake Manifold and Runners!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
nope....but i bet you will have dyno's of base TL's which have the same mods....the only difference will be my exhaust (not ready to disclose the design yet, its a custom true dual will be posting some vids later) and some other mods (bored TB etc)
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
son, i am disappoint.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
Where were people getting their IM ported and polished? I bought an extra IM to play with and polish atleast the outside for looks.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by veggiemonster
son, i am disappoint.
with ?

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Where were people getting their IM ported and polished? I bought an extra IM to play with and polish atleast the outside for looks.
i got my manifold and runner pno-ed from Andy (Gerzand) on the forums....I am having 2 sets (Set 1: manifold+runners+mdx spacer+TB+TB spacer+Gaskets and Set 2: Manifold + runners) bored the fawk outta them from will disclose when i see the results better than what I have currently....i will prolly put 1 set of manifold + runners on the BM.....
Old 07-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
with ?

no dyno's, no more pics, no videos for sound....
The following users liked this post:
TrustinHFDJ (07-14-2012)
Old 07-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
nope....but i bet you will have dyno's of base TL's which have the same mods....the only difference will be my exhaust (not ready to disclose the design yet, its a custom true dual will be posting some vids later) and some other mods (bored TB etc)
i am planning on a true dual too! iv got the plan ready but i am seriously considering trading for a MT TL....money is an issue there tho i would not want to lose alot to have an MT. plus my car at 110K runs soooo perfect. iv done so much to maintain it, seafoam, redline ATF, tranny filter change, spark plugs, just a bout everything xcwpt for the tranny pressure switches. its hard to let go! LOL
Old 07-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I thought it was explained by Richie that the crosses or whatever is actually BETTER then "true" duals? I also thought it was best for this J to actually have a little bit of back pressure. Is this not the case?

Sorry off topic. :/
Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by veggiemonster
no dyno's, no more pics, no videos for sound....
LOL...in due time my friend....also will snap some pix and send them your way....perhaps some vids too

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
I thought it was explained by Richie that the crosses or whatever is actually BETTER then "true" duals? I also thought it was best for this J to actually have a little bit of back pressure. Is this not the case?

nah your cool...the only reason true duals wont work is coz of sound....3 cylinders coming out of 1 pipe wont sound as good and wont flow as good....its good to incorporate a H pipe (better than and X) as this equalizes the pressure and hence sounds /flows a lot better....

the reason richie went for X pipe is so that it will be a universal fit....imagine he had gone with the H pipe for the jpipe and true dual or the other way around, it wudnt have worked....the x pipe works perfect for him as he got to expand his horizons....people with ATLP exhaust can use richie jpipe and vise versa
Old 07-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fatfrii
i am planning on a true dual too! iv got the plan ready but i am seriously considering trading for a MT TL....money is an issue there tho i would not want to lose alot to have an MT. plus my car at 110K runs soooo perfect. iv done so much to maintain it, seafoam, redline ATF, tranny filter change, spark plugs, just a bout everything xcwpt for the tranny pressure switches. its hard to let go! LOL
true....there is no way am selling my car....its an 05 AT with 150K miles and I love her....love driving her.....modding her....everything about her.....i know i shouldve gotten an MT but i think i got lucky with my car....as they say "the car chooses the driver "

i have meticulously maintained my car as well...she is pristine.....i would go the true dual route....its ending up being expensive for me (1500 for parts + labor and 250 for the v2 pcd (already installed)) but the guy does an awesome fucking job....my budget was 1000-1200 but then after i saw his work, I was like i dont mind another 200-300 for this kind of craftsmanship....

it still ends up being cheaper than most systems out there:

riche: pcd + jpipe + exhaust = 2000-2200 + a wait of many months
atlp: richie pcd + atlp jpipe + exhaust = 1900-2000

I think the greddy+xlr8 systems come close in the cost....but then again the research + thought process makes you so much more connected with your car....
Old 07-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Maharajamd

richies stuff is the shit! i got his high flow just waiting to put on its killing me...but like the saying goes you get what u pay for. going custom is cheaper

ok lets stay on subject i am so tempted to talk about H vs. X pipes lol.....must ...resist......

Last edited by Fatfrii; 07-21-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM

^^^ go for it....

and yes you do get what you pay for....my true dual is running me $1500 which is more expensive than richie's exhaust....but thats not the point...

i like going custom coz you see the exhaust being build infront of you....unlike just paying and waiting 4-5 months and then the UPS guy shows up and u put it up....it took me 2-3 months to find the right shop....someone who knows what he is doing....has worked with many other cars...then telling him what i am looking for and hearing his "how to go about it" and coming to a conclusion and getting the exhaust ready....

i have nothing against richie....i am rocking his pcd's and i think they were fucking great....very well made, very well constructed, materials, everything about them is awesome....

but i was looking for a different exhaust note....a different setup....hence custom....
Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great
Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 AM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Where's the numbers?! I'm dying to see what this will do to a 5AT.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
so this is the only thread that might have some discussions left on heat soacking in the engine bay.. has anyone painted their Manifold, Runners and possible Pre-Cats to reduce engine heat? found this link but not going to even bother finding out how much it costs but it maade me curious

http://www.zircotec.com/page/--motor...t-coatings/132

has anyone painted using a high heat paint.. and possibly something with ceramic or other heat reducing chemical..

Just curious since I might come into a set of ported mainfold and runners and before I put them in wanted to do what I can to reduce heat if possible.. also looking at pre-cat deletes or high flows but again want to do what I can before bolting on.. I truly hate bolting and un bolting.. its almost as bad a continously moving furniture around cause the wife doesnt like the location

and before everyone says anything.. I got all the cooling stuff and other mods bookmarked already.. no one.. and no one has spoken about a special paint to reduce heat

and technically I am not thread jacking since I am talking about painting a ported intake manifod and runners!!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM

nah dude you good...

i have my PCD's ceramic coated inside out....inside for better flow, outside for heat resistance and looks....

the heat travels from the runners to the manifold to the throttle body to the IACV where it affects performance....the best way to keep the heat down is:
1> UCM (Ultimate cooling mod): I have to say this does keep the heat wayyy low
2> Throttle body Coolant bypass
3> insulating your AEM/KNN/Whatever air intake (debatable)
4> Use of P2R spacers, throttle body spacer, etc....
5> I have the MDX spacer which also helps since the TB is that much away from the runners...(after my setup is complete I will be dyno-ing with and without the MDX spacer to see if the spacer hurts anything)
6> Butterfly delete in the manifold (gives you a little low end)
7> Am working on something (not yet tested and hence am not posting it up)....i ran with that in 110F heat and the throttle response was awesome....

i dont think any kind of paint is going to keep the heat out...as in this case heat is caused due to conduction and not radiation....

my manifold was powder coated black and that was just for the looks
Old 07-25-2011, 04:19 PM

for additional readings on ceramic coating inside out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/ceramic-coated-precat-delete-j-pipe-test-pipe-710198/
Old 07-25-2011, 05:35 PM
runnin a little boost

^^^ can you post a pic of the black powdercoated IM. That sounds sweet.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 PM

Here is it when it was on the car:

someone took it at the KC meet not too long ago....

will snap some close up pix of it....its sitting in my garage, ready for sale LOL...
Old 07-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

So i thought when you use the P2R spacer, throttle body, & or MDX spacer it robs from either low end or high end... I know its out there but need to read through all my bookmarks to find it.. wait gerzand said it in page one of this thread.. he said "you will lose massive top end HP while only gaining a small amount of low end TQ from the MDX/Ridgeline spacer"
has anyone experienced that or just going by word of mouth?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:57 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nah dude you good...

i have my PCD's ceramic coated inside out....inside for better flow, outside for heat resistance and looks....

the heat travels from the runners to the manifold to the throttle body to the IACV where it affects performance....the best way to keep the heat down is:
1> UCM (Ultimate cooling mod): I have to say this does keep the heat wayyy low
2> Throttle body Coolant bypass
3> insulating your AEM/KNN/Whatever air intake (debatable)
4> Use of P2R spacers, throttle body spacer, etc....
5> I have the MDX spacer which also helps since the TB is that much away from the runners...(after my setup is complete I will be dyno-ing with and without the MDX spacer to see if the spacer hurts anything)
6> Butterfly delete in the manifold (gives you a little low end)
7> Am working on something (not yet tested and hence am not posting it up)....i ran with that in 110F heat and the throttle response was awesome....

i dont think any kind of paint is going to keep the heat out...as in this case heat is caused due to conduction and not radiation....

my manifold was powder coated black and that was just for the looks
"Butterfly delete in the manifold (gives you a little low end)"

I've tested and from my experience the butterfly delete made my car a lot slower so i put it back in. u feel a gain in low end? and how is ur top end?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by FCVadi
So i thought when you use the P2R spacer, throttle body, & or MDX spacer it robs from either low end or high end... I know its out there but need to read through all my bookmarks to find it.. wait gerzand said it in page one of this thread.. he said "you will lose massive top end HP while only gaining a small amount of low end TQ from the MDX/Ridgeline spacer"
has anyone experienced that or just going by word of mouth?
its word of mouth...Gerzand spoke to P2R and they said if you have pnp-ed manifold and runners then you dont want pnp-ed mdx spacer....i have everything pnp-ed and will test a before and after dyno after i get my true duals next week....so we let the numbers decide....

Originally Posted by Yonkers914

I've tested and from my experience the butterfly delete made my car a lot slower so i put it back in. u feel a gain in low end? and how is ur top end?
my low end is fine, since i have lots intake side mods and only PCD's exhaust side....so its a crazy fawking bottleneck...am going to get my exhaust fabbed next week and will try to take 4 dynos....

butterfly + mdx spacer
butterfly only no mdx spacer (like stock)
mdx spacer only no butterfly (completely opposite)
no butterfly and no mdx spacer

i hate to go by experience and word of mouth since you dont know the ECU/driving conditions/so many variables....i love numbers....if a mod gives me tons of low end and mid range but sacrifices a little top end, i dont mind....since we drive mostly in the 2-4K range 80% of the time....i dont hit vtec everytime i drive....u know what i mean ?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Just btw i think you guys have it mixed up as to what a true dual exhaust is...the only reason Richeys exhaust is not a true dual is because the merge at the j is not a true X or H merge...most good true duals have an XorH pipe
Old 07-25-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by AtlM5
Just btw i think you guys have it mixed up as to what a true dual exhaust is...the only reason Richeys exhaust is not a true dual is because the merge at the j is not a true X or H merge...most good true duals have an XorH pipe
only if you would read....i requoted what i said...find the keyword (hint: its undelined)

am going to get my exhaust fabbed next week and will try to take 4 dynos....
I am going custom....its going to be a true dual....thought of using an Hpipe but went with something different...will post when i see the gains....
Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
lol..i was just trying to help but from this:

nah your cool...the only reason true duals wont work is coz of sound....3 cylinders coming out of 1 pipe wont sound as good and wont flow as good
it seems like your saying that trueduals are only when there is no merge
Old 07-26-2011, 10:02 AM

on a V8/V12 you could try without a merge...but not on a V6....

they will sound like shit and have bad exhaust pulses/pressure....i was going to use a H pipe but ended up going a different route....

anyway back to pnp manifold and runners
Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 AM
04Tl

my low end is fine, since i have lots intake side mods and only PCD's exhaust side....so its a crazy fawking bottleneck...am going to get my exhaust fabbed next week and will try to take 4 dynos....

butterfly + mdx spacer

i hate to go by experience and word of mouth since you dont know the ECU/driving conditions/so many variables....i love numbers....if a mod gives me tons of low end and mid range but sacrifices a little top end, i dont mind....since we drive mostly in the 2-4K range 80% of the time....i dont hit vtec everytime i drive....u know what i mean ?[/quote]

Ya i hear u, im more concerned with up top power and am always in vtec so ya i see where ur comin from and i didnt know u didnt have a full exhaust. i have a complete exhuast and intake mods.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 AM

butterfly + mdx spacer

i hate to go by experience and word of mouth since you dont know the ECU/driving conditions/so many variables....i love numbers....if a mod gives me tons of low end and mid range but sacrifices a little top end, i dont mind....since we drive mostly in the 2-4K range 80% of the time....i dont hit vtec everytime i drive....u know what i mean ?
Ya i hear u, im more concerned with up top power and am always in vtec so ya i see where ur comin from and i didnt know u didnt have a full exhaust. i have a complete exhuast and intake mods.
yeah i have been waiting to get my exhaust since a while now....took me a year to research the piping diameter/good shop/mufflers/ and a ton of shizzzz and finally will get it installed next week....

Yup i will post all the 4 dyno's up so you can decide which way you wanna go....
Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Swoosh, so wait.. are you running the P2R spacer and the MDX Spacer? dude and sorry for the dumb question just going by the list of stuff you stated above... also asking questions after a few drinks doesnt help
Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM

its ight dude....

yes am running them....here is the order of air flow:

AEM Air intake with over-sized filter
Throttle body (getting this bored out in couple weeks)
P2R throttle body spacer sandwiched between P2R Thermal Gaskets (this will get bored out with the throttle body)
Ported and Polished Intake Runners
MDX Spacer sandwiched between P2R Intake Thermal Gaskets
Ported and Polished Runners

Hope that helps....
Old 07-26-2011, 11:42 PM

just a quick question for you dude....when you had the butterfly delete was there a little noise coming from the manifold....it doesnt bother me, but wanted to make sure its coz of the butterfly delete...
Old 07-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

thanks, able to see it in me mind now

its ight dude....

yes am running them....here is the order of air flow:

AEM Air intake with over-sized filter
Throttle body (getting this bored out in couple weeks)
P2R throttle body spacer sandwiched between P2R Thermal Gaskets (this will get bored out with the throttle body)
Ported and Polished Intake Runners
MDX Spacer sandwiched between P2R Intake Thermal Gaskets
Ported and Polished Runners

Hope that helps....
Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Old 07-27-2011, 03:40 PM
runnin a little boost

Does the timing belt need to be messed with to remove the runners? I am trying to figure out if its worth my while to polish just the IM and if the runners are going to be a pain to remove. I bought a IM to polish the outside and started thinking maybe Pnping it would be a good idea. My concern is with the turbo the Pnped IM won't make much difference.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:58 PM

nope

you will remove the manifold + fuel rail and injectors and you have like 6 screw that hold the runners....

as simple as that....time consuming but yeah simple....

NOTE: while putting the injectors back in apply some engine oil on them so they slide in...else they can be a biyatch !!!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Swoosh, have you gotten the exhaust and abel to do the dyno yet?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:46 AM

hey Feji.....I have gotten the exhaust....here is the thread....

am waiting to get my Throttle body bored out and will put her on the dyno and the track for 1/4 mile times....
Old 08-30-2011, 02:04 PM
04Tl

just a quick question for you dude....when you had the butterfly delete was there a little noise coming from the manifold....it doesnt bother me, but wanted to make sure its coz of the butterfly delete...
No i didnt have any noise when i did the delete. did u put everything back together correctly and tight?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:25 PM

^^^ yeah i did....it seems like that noise is from the tensioner or some like that....when i took it to my exhaust guy he said its from the butterfly so I thought I ask you....
Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Mom why is there two?

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just looked at your pics of your motor swoosh .... It looks like shit...HAHA what the fuck is on your intake tube aluminum foil.... Tool
Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 PM

Insulated CAI....keeps the things cooler

one of the most biggest problems with the TL is low end goes away with higher temps....I have done 3-4 mods to keep the underhood temperatures low and hence my low end high LOL

Quick Reply: Ported/Polished Upper Intake Manifold and Runners!