performance enhancements

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance enhancements

Just bought my 2005 TL last week -- 5AT... Are there any performance enhancements I can do without voiding factory warranty (I.E, new exhaust, intake, other chips to put in??????)
Old 03-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

lol anything u do to the car thats not factory from acura will void your warranty... the only performance upgrade u can get done is the a spec suspension from acura that wont void your warranty but anything you do to your car thtas not from acura will void it...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

and by the way welcome to the forums post your car pics up on the gallery...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by docbass
Just bought my 2005 TL last week -- 5AT... Are there any performance enhancements I can do without voiding factory warranty (I.E, new exhaust, intake, other chips to put in??????)
Comptech rear sway bar... $105 shipped from Acura of Excondido on Ebay. WORTH EVERY PENNY. Mine AT handles alot better now... Push comes to shove, you can remove before warranty repair if needed. Get it... GET IT NOW...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

You guys are wrong. Depending on the dealership they will not void the warranty if they install it. Many dealers are getting into aftermarket parts. If you the dealer is willing to install the part for you then your still covered under warranty.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

doenst the dealer have to prove fault of the aftermarket part to void the warranty? for instance, just because i installed the comptech bar myself, they can't say "no we're not going to fix your sagging headliner" because... they're not really relateD?

there was some court case about this, i think. i'm sure someone smarter than me knows. Moss something something.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Instructor

mannn...i tell ya...im having nothing but problems with acura. I removed the resonator chamber from my stock exhaust. Now acura voided my engine warranty, tranny warranty, exhaust...blah blah blah... Go figure... My advice, your car is under warranty, DON'T TOUCH IT....after its up, go crazy. NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE!!!

-MIKE
***Unhappy acura TL owner***
Old 03-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Racer

Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975

Originally Posted by zeezz
doenst the dealer have to prove fault of the aftermarket part to void the warranty? for instance, just because i installed the comptech bar myself, they can't say "no we're not going to fix your sagging headliner" because... they're not really relateD?

there was some court case about this, i think. i'm sure someone smarter than me knows. Moss something something.
hth-
-miike

i found this @ injen's site (http://www.injen.com/faq.html):

Will adding after market products void my warranty?
The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fradulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warrany or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by I10O0I1
lol anything u do to the car thats not factory from acura will void your warranty... the only performance upgrade u can get done is the a spec suspension from acura that wont void your warranty but anything you do to your car thtas not from acura will void it...
Nope. It will only void the warranty if Acura can prove that the aftermarket part caused the malfunction.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This comes up often. Basically you can do whatever you want - but if there is a mechanical failure in the car - the dealer MUST prove that YOUR modification caused the part to fail - otherwise they are required by law to repair it. So the burden of proof is on the dealer. e.g. if you put the rear sway bar on the car and your headlights stop working - the dealer must repair the headlights under warranty because the sway bar could not have caused that problem.

Welcome to the forums
Old 03-23-2005, 07:16 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by I10O0I1
you must have a nice dealer....my dealer asked me a million questions about my exhaust and were happy that i tried something new on the car. warranty still intact.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:36 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by mgokool
mannn...i tell ya...im having nothing but problems with acura. I removed the resonator chamber from my stock exhaust. Now acura voided my engine warranty, tranny warranty, exhaust...blah blah blah... Go figure... My advice, your car is under warranty, DON'T TOUCH IT....after its up, go crazy. NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE!!!

-MIKE
***Unhappy acura TL owner***
You did what and Why? If you put a CAI on there and had problems why didn't you just take it back off?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by ndabunka
You did what and Why? If you put a CAI on there and had problems why didn't you just take it back off?
He took off the resonators off his exhaust. The TL has three resonators, and when you take them off, they can give a more aggressive exhaust note (with negligible gains).
Old 03-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
My dealer told me that if I added Comptech parts and they installed them, that even if the part caused the problem, it would be covered since Comptech is Honda and it was installed by Honda/Acura people. If I or someone else installed it or it's not Comptech, and the part caused a problem, it's not covered.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chill_dog
My dealer told me that if I added Comptech parts and they installed them, that even if the part caused the problem, it would be covered since Comptech is Honda and it was installed by Honda/Acura people. If I or someone else installed it or it's not Comptech, and the part caused a problem, it's not covered.
Comptech is NOT Honda or Acura; it's Comptech.
If the Comptech part fails the dealer will have Comptech replace the part, and try to get Comptech to pick up the labor. Acura WILL NOT pay anything to the dealer if a part other than an Acura part fails.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Future 07 TLS Team Member

Originally Posted by chill_dog
So that has me wondering: how much should a dealer charge to install the Comptech sway bars?

I've read all of the posts that say how easy this is (especially if you shell out for the "right" tools to do the job)... but I'm not a big grease monkey and if the price is right would rather pay to get it done.