Are performance chips any good??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:21 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are performance chips any good??

I just bought a 2004 TL and I am trying to add some more power and improve gas mileage.

With that in mind, I was looking at some performance chips or ecu reprogramming. Does anyone have any leads on any good products that will help me get what Im looking for?

Thanks!

Zach
Old 05-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Go ahead, knock yourself out. Ebay is filled with them.
It's just too bad that none of the aziners are doing it.....
I mean, c'mon, what was it... $10 for 50whp and 50% increase gas mileage?
[/sarcasm]
Old 05-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol @ the ebay comment.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Pro

1) search the forum, you will be enlightened
2) try a flux capacitor
Old 05-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'd go with Hondata.........
Old 05-30-2008, 01:25 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
[/sarcasm]
agreed, the reason they are so popular, is because everyone is so dumb that they believe them. Hondata was working on this, but I think the idea never happened only for those with a s/c. If you want to waist your money to try it go for it. If it was that easy, there would be tons of forum posts on this topic.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

This has been beaten dead!!!

Search my friend is your friend as well!!

btw: Welcome!!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:44 PM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couldn't you reflash a stock ECU? Setup up new shift timing stuff like that?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by KzooTL
Couldn't you reflash a stock ECU? Setup up new shift timing stuff like that?
No problem. Just ship it to me and I'll tune it for you for $400 dollar. LOL
C'Mon, use the SEARCH function and you will find out that it's "not that easy" and we already know others are doing things on hondas and Subu's and etc. Someone PLEASe close this thread already. It's gotten tot he point of SPAM
Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
haha... i asked the same question when i was new...it was 4 months ago...
Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
[/sarcasm]
Actually, I broke the bank and bought the $15 one. I'm putting 380 to the wheels and getting 54 mpg on the highway.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
Actually, I broke the bank and bought the $15 one. I'm putting 380 to the wheels and getting 54 mpg on the highway.

yea i sold it to him as a guineapig, if you want anx1300c and i are gonna try and get a batch made, it'll be closer to a $200 chip tho after we improve on the flux capacitor's turbo laser option.

dude to be honest, if you're thinking about buying some type of super chip, might as well buy a month's worth of extensz or however you spell it.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL

LOL, hey fulani wanna clear out my headlights and i'll buy you lunch or dinner?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
Oh no way! You got THAT one?! Darn. I knew I should've waited another month to save for that $5.

Originally Posted by JCL622
yea i sold it to him as a guineapig, if you want anx1300c and i are gonna try and get a batch made, it'll be closer to a $200 chip tho after we improve on the flux capacitor's turbo laser option.
Damn. I should hop on this! =o Doesn't a flux capacitor also allow me to go back into time? I could just go and get my $200 back. That's like a no-brainer! PLUS it's got a turbo-laser-option! No wayyyy!!

Hahah... Time to sleep.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Racer

after being discussed a million time shere on Azine it should be obvious. They are a waste of money. The only exception is if your TL has forced induction on it. If chips gave huge HP and MPG increase every single TL here would have one.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear

Well, this has been a very interesting response to a VERY simple and logical question. Apparently everyone who responded to this post with either "flux capacitor" or "laser" in their reply has never owned or modified another car before. There are cars out there that DO benefit from a performance chip or ECU reprogram. I was not referring to the $5 chips on Ebay. I agree I should have done a little more searching on the forum, but was it really necessary to give such idiotic responses????
My question was not dumb, it was very realistic. This is the first car naturally aspirated car that I have tried to modify. I just don't have much experience with non-turbo or non-supercharged cars.

Does anyone even have any proof that there is no ECU modification that actually works? What are you basing your decision off of?? Have you seen dyno numbers? Have you researched all of the products? Do you know anyone that bought the product and saw no change in their dyno chart? If your answer is NO to all of those questions, keep your mouth shut and let the people who really know speak up. Don't muddy the watter with your ignorance.

Welcome to the forum huh?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Instructor

^^^ Seems like there are some people on this forum that take any opportunity they can to belittle or flame someone that posts a question that may have been answered or they already know the answer to it. I've never run into this on MINI forums but here its different.

Hondata doesn't make a K-pro reflash for the TL unfortunately. But for whatever reason they decided to make one for the RDX?! That sucks because they would have a lot of people that would buy one if they produced one for the TL. Looks like we are out of luck on the ECU mod front. Dang...
Old 05-31-2008, 12:04 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmboosted
Well, this has been a very interesting response to a VERY simple and logical question. Apparently everyone who responded to this post with either "flux capacitor" or "laser" in their reply has never owned or modified another car before. There are cars out there that DO benefit from a performance chip or ECU reprogram. I was not referring to the $5 chips on Ebay. I agree I should have done a little more searching on the forum, but was it really necessary to give such idiotic responses????
My question was not dumb, it was very realistic. This is the first car naturally aspirated car that I have tried to modify. I just don't have much experience with non-turbo or non-supercharged cars.

Does anyone even have any proof that there is no ECU modification that actually works? What are you basing your decision off of?? Have you seen dyno numbers? Have you researched all of the products? Do you know anyone that bought the product and saw no change in their dyno chart? If your answer is NO to all of those questions, keep your mouth shut and let the people who really know speak up. Don't muddy the watter with your ignorance.

Jet Performance Products, www.jetchip.com, offers an ECU reflash for $330, I believe.

Shawn Church Automotive, http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/...motivetesting/, also offers ECU tuning services. Depending on what you want done, $150 and up.

If you are local (SoCal), you can just go to these locations and have your ECU tuned. If not, you have to ship your ECU out to them. Jet Performance promises next day service.

However, you should have ALL of your desired mods done to your car before you send in your ECU to either of these places. Obviously, they will tune depending on your mods. Everytime you add a performance mod, the ECU will have to be retuned.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

MOST people on here are very helpful and laid back.

Originally Posted by MINIFVR
^^^ Seems like there are some people on this forum that take any opportunity they can to belittle or flame someone that posts a question that may have been answered or they already know the answer to it. I've never run into this on MINI forums but here its different.

Hondata doesn't make a K-pro reflash for the TL unfortunately. But for whatever reason they decided to make one for the RDX?! That sucks because they would have a lot of people that would buy one if they produced one for the TL. Looks like we are out of luck on the ECU mod front. Dang...
Hey MINI, yeah, the reason Hondata does a reflash for the RDX is because the RDX is turbocharged, and this provides a bigger probability for gains via an ECU reflash. That is also why CT-Engineering has a reflash provided with it's supercharger kit (FROM HONDATA), but not one for us N/A guys.

Of course HONDATA would make an ECU reflash for the TL, stock, but they have as yet to be successful at making gains in their attempts.

Hopefully, SOMEDAY, someone will come up with something?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:57 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by princelybug
Jet Performance Products, www.jetchip.com, offers an ECU reflash for $330, I believe.
Jet was sued and LOST their suit. The defendant PROVED that jet did not modify ANYTHING on his particular chip even though they kept insisting that they had. He was a programmer who was able to call BS and he WON. Since not everybody has the technical savvy and JET is still selling, it does show that even though they were caught (at least) once, they aren't letting that stop them from fooling the less-technical among the general population.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:04 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

YES to all the above. Read further to find the specific details and results...

EVERYTHING you are asking has already been addressed in other post. There are "issues" with the way that Honda programmed the TL chip in the 3rd gen TLs (Closed loop) and no, neither greddy nor others are able to address this issue. Seems that the ONLY tuning you can do to a TL is a bit of air-to-fuel rations and even that is LOCKED and not variable. So, yes it has been discussed so it's not just hearsay. It's just that YOU haven't seen the details yet. Those details are out there and there really is no point in repeating them again for each and every "un-educated" (I mean that in a nice way) person that comes on and post "hey, what about....."

In my business, we call it the client's "wish list" as in "I wish it could make gold out of tin and I'd be willing to pay $20 for it".... well, Do'aH, wouldn't EVERYBODY? Just because you WISH for it, will NOT make it come true. Stop wishing and start researching. The details have already been answered and there really is no ploint in repeating those answers over and over and over and over.... You DO realize that you are NOT the first one to have asked this and wondered why everybody is pointing you to the search function, right? It's not that we hate you, it's just that you are showing that you haven't done the research you need to before someone answers you.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Jet was sued and LOST their suit. The defendant PROVED that jet did not modify ANYTHING on his particular chip even though they kept insisting that they had. He was a programmer who was able to call BS and he WON. Since not everybody has the technical savvy and JET is still selling, it does show that even though they were caught (at least) once, they aren't letting that stop them from fooling the less-technical among the general population.
I wouldn't piss on JET "Performance" Products. Fucking scammers.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Dude, unbunch your self righteous panties. Komodo brought up $5 e-bay chips which are a "funny topic" around here and always result in a round of joking and ball breaking. If you think any of this was aimed at you, then reading comprehension owns you.

Hondata has done limited work on a few NA cars, for R&D purposes, but it's not commercially available at this point. If you find anything worthwhile, let us know.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:24 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Alright I did some searching of my own it seems that two guys from the forum have an N/A reflash that yielded good gains. Look for posts from GoBig and JOES05tl as they've been running the tune for a while.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180694

More threads with a Hondata rep.
https://acurazine.com/forums/console-computer-gaming-13/where-everyone-135296/
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/wire-colors-135753/
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167269

Point is if you really want tuning drive to Church's Auto tell them you want what JOES05TL and GoBig got for your TL and they might just give it to you.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:25 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Also guys stop being bitches, if another tuning thread pops up just don't post.