OEM Type-S catback exhaust mod on a UA6

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
OEM Type-S catback exhaust mod on a UA6

I'm sitting in my recliner, sipping on a cocktail, when something struck me. I may have found an answer to my dilemma. It was going to run me more money than I had wanted, but the results would most likely be satisfactory to my liking.

Why not just replace the rear A-spec bumper piece from the base to the Type-S model, and then find a "pre-owned" OEM catback exhaust, or just a pair of Type-S mufflers with the tips already installed? I'll be honest... I did not want to spend the money for the TL-S rear, but after seeing several examples of quads (mufflers, or just weld-on tips) on the base A-spec bumper, I'm still not convinced that this set up is the right way to go for my tastes.

Also, the ATLP quads are pricey and out of budget. Even if affordable, I am uncertain the the added resonator would not tone it down enough to keep the drone to the minimum. So perhaps the OEM quads are my best bet.

So, has anyone done this here? If so, how did you like the results? Did it change the tone of exhaust due to it being applied to an engine with a smaller displacement? Also, are there any pictures that I have missed that has a UA6 with this exhaust and the base tail lights?

Any input here would be appreciated...
Old 11-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
to get a nice opening for any quad tips, buy the TL-S Rear Aspec, cut your factory bumper up for the larger openings and put on the the TL-S Aspec kit to make it nice and neat.

As far as the exhaust, to go with the TL-S's exhaust for performance is pretty pointless. Your best bet is to go to an exhaust shop, have them mandrel bend you some new piping from the J-pipe back (eliminate the 3rd cat) and just put on some magnaflow mufflers with quad tips.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Area on my XM

Originally Posted by csmeance
to get a nice opening for any quad tips, buy the TL-S Rear Aspec, cut your factory bumper up for the larger openings and put on the the TL-S Aspec kit to make it nice and neat.

As far as the exhaust, to go with the TL-S's exhaust for performance is pretty pointless. Your best bet is to go to an exhaust shop, have them mandrel bend you some new piping from the J-pipe back (eliminate the 3rd cat) and just put on some magnaflow mufflers with quad tips.
That would be the plan... Replace the base A-spec bumper trim and substitute with the TL-S version. There are already holes in the bumper from mounting the bumper cover, so cutting it up won't give me any grief. I really didn't want to go that route (I didn't think ahead last summer when I purchased the underbody kit), but to get what I want is going to hinge on getting that TL-S bumper trim.

I'm considering the OEM exhaust and/or mufflers since I have no desire to increase my performance numbers. The car can get out of its own way as it is. I also don't want to stray to far from the stock look. Some flair here and there is ok, but a louder exhaust (past what I've already done with the AZ Stage 3 mod) is not what I have in mind. I'm not even sure I can remove the 3rd cat without breaking the smog laws in my state.

With that in mind, with the exception of purchasing the new bumper trim, I'm hoping I can save a little money by just applying the OEM TL-S mufflers and tips to my stock exhaust. I doesn't appear that very many people who upgrade their UA7 TL-S exhaust to something more performance-oriented are selling their removed exhaust components, so I may be stuck scouring the dismantling yards (good luck with that!) or purchasing new pieces, which I'm sure is an arm and leg through Acura.

Again, my main goal is for curb appeal. Performance increases are a bonus, but not necessary. The only thing that can push me away from this idea is if I end up losing noticeable hp or torque by adding these parts.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
This has been done about 10000000x here. You wouldn't lose any HP. You would have similar exhaust noises. Rear A SPEC bumper with cutting.

What's wrong with what you got now? I mean, if you're going to do all of this work, don't cheapen out. Just wait, and do everything perfectly and how you want it, instead of half-ass now, than half-ass later.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Area on my XM

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
This has been done about 10000000x here. You wouldn't lose any HP. You would have similar exhaust noises. Rear A SPEC bumper with cutting.

What's wrong with what you got now?
I figured someone has done it. I was looking for an opinion on how it turned out, taking in regards my concerns. Bear with me with the mechanics of it all... I'm learning as I go. All I know is that IF the TL-S exhaust from the 3rd cat back was a little bigger in diameter (due to the larger motor), then I could expect a small loss in low-end torque. At least I had that experience with adding larger exhaust to my Miata.

There isn't anything wrong with what I have now. But I decided that I would like quads better. Just a change of taste. Some people change out wheels here like it's toilet water. I guess replacing the rear A-spec would be my deal.

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
I mean, if you're going to do all of this work, don't cheapen out. Just wait, and do everything perfectly and how you want it, instead of half-ass now, than half-ass later.
Bingo!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
jguerra23 did exactly what you are asking he welded the mufflers only...