NEWBIE question!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NEWBIE question!!

I just crossed over from Mitsubishi. I know nothing about Honda performance. I read a little about J-pipes and it seems that replacing the J-pipe gives your exhaust more flow so more torque and horsepower? Am i right? Also, is there a header for the TL ? Im learning slowly and im taking my basic knowledge of cars and trying to figure things out. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ 3G TLs don't have separate headers. They are cast into the head. After that comes the two main catalytic converters that join at the j-pipe to the third catalytic and then to the exhaust. So if you want the full flurry of bolt on flow... get precat deletes, after market j-pipe, race pipe or test pipe, and then catback exhaust. That have you 'flowin' ' all the way through (straight piped though).
Old 09-07-2009, 01:44 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
check out rv6performance and ATLP they've got the whole cat delete (header equivalent) for the TL.

Also look into a CAI from Injen, Fujita, or AEM. OR! if you're feeling frisky put all your eggs in the same basket for RandJ's new turbo setup!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

WOW!! i had no idea that the exhaust was set up in that way. every car i have ever owned had separate headers. Im used to having straight pipe, i did a straight pipe on my stratus and loved it. Thanks for the info. I was reading a little about the turbo set up and the supercharger set up. Does the supercharger kit use an intercooler? I think i will be looking into going with the cat delete and the j-pipe and cat back for now then looking into forced induction.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well decide which way you wanna go with the forced induction. If you get the S/C then yeah you can use all the stuff I previously mentioned, but it doesn't come with an intercooler and 'most' people will tell you that the kit is incomplete. It's got a shitty 'slapped together' type of tuning. Plus, you'll prolly want to spend money on a meth kit and possibly a battery relocation.

With the turbo, you won't get any of the things I mentioned, except for maybe the cat back exhaust. The turbo will have its own full piping and will meet at the third cat (no need for precat deletes and j-pipe). And even with the exhaust setup you might wanna go with a custom setup at 3" single to dual 2.25 or 2.5" and out to the mufflers. The systems that are available now, though pretty awesome, are mostly 2.5" single to 2.25" dual (could be wrong) and are said to cause too much back pressure for the turbo. But the turbo is a full kit. Piping, intercooler, fuel injectors, fuel pump, and tune. I forget what else though. There's a turbo thread in this section... go check it out. Happy modding!

Last edited by Maddizm; 09-07-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Awesome, thanks bro!! ill check out the turbo thread. I would rather go turbo than SC anyway.