Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by ubnpast
pohljm: are you running n2o?

not in the car! hehehe
Old 12-14-2006, 02:00 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok I've finally got pictures, they were taken with the camera on my phone, so bear with me, and no laughing, but I will admit it is ghetto.

I just placed a regular piece of cardboard over the filter hoping that the hot ambient air from the motor wouldnt be sucked in and only the cold air from the tube would be taken in.

This is a picture of what it looks like w/o the cardboard just with the pipe leading to the head of the filter.

You can see in this picture that there are some pieces of cardboard by the piping that's just to hold the pipe in place, lol.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:01 PM

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the cardboard, believe it or not helps, it lowers the power drain when it's hot out.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
not in the car! hehehe
lol, I see something fishy. But are you really running n2o?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Eoanou: thanks for the pics, it is indeed something different. I dont care how much better mine performs, I just want the sound. I saw a nbp tl with a kid driving this past thursday, I put it into 2nd gear and passed him, lol, he was looking really hard at my car before and after, but he pulled into a gas station so I couldnt talk to him.

The trans seems to shift fine now, not sure if that was a fluke thing or not but Ill keep an eye out.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:44 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Sorry but you aren't going to gain any power with that. You are now probably sucking in more hot air than you did with the stock intake. All you gained was sound and a ghetto intake setup. You have electrical tape sealing the filter on a $35k car. I would remove that. At least if you want to get more sound keep the stock airbox and remove the resonator.

Yeah! What he said. Kick in the $200.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joed40
Yeah! What he said. Kick in the $200.
I would say the same thing if I was a vendor
Old 12-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

lol, I see something fishy. But are you really running n2o?
No, I am not spraying! Not sure what your seeing.... those are grounding cables or could be the insulation on my intake?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

No, I am not spraying! Not sure what your seeing.... those are grounding cables or could be the insulation on my intake?
I see those 2 stainless flex hoses going into the black box, and the 2 red (wires?). I also see something red going to your tb or intake.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Not that any vendor here needs me to speak up for them, but I am sure you are talking out of previous experiences you may have had outside of this forum, or just making witty generalizations. Josh is not only highly reputable, but also has a large amount of experience and knowledge to back what he says. Enough said on that matter.

Secondly the idea is COLD air intake, not MORE air intake. I am sure you worked very diligently to fabricate your intake, more power to you.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:59 PM

I hate when I pull up to people drop it into low gear so they can hear the intake and immediately assume I am some jackass because I modified a $32,000 Acura, the Lancer Evolution costs about the same and people mod those as well. I don't see why people would call me spoiled for doing the same on my car as others do with their car.

By the way the way Joed40 where in CT do you live, I see that you have a TL type-s from your avatar, it looks nice, also more air does help gain more performance because the computer will add more fuel to balance the air/fuel ratio, but you're right no matter how much air you have if it's warm you'll feel a huge power loss.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joed40
Not that any vendor here needs me to speak up for them, but I am sure you are talking out of previous experiences you may have had outside of this forum, or just making witty generalizations. Josh is not only highly reputable, but also has a large amount of experience and knowledge to back what he says. Enough said on that matter.

Secondly the idea is COLD air intake, not MORE air intake. I am sure you worked very diligently to fabricate your intake, more power to you.
To tell you the truth, I cant tell if you are being a smart ass or not. I am educated when it comes to cars, my soon to be brother in law owns turbotrix, and I do in fact have a lot of experience with upgrades. The only generalization that I made was that what I did increases throttle response, thus allowing the engine to more easily breathe, which in turn may make one or two hp. Whose idea is cold air intake? I never said anything about my mod making more hp than a car with cai.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I see those 2 stainless flex hoses going into the black box, and the 2 red (wires?). I also see something red going to your tb or intake.
Those stainless hoses are actually positive and negative cables from the battery going to the hypervoltage unit, red cables are all grounding cables daisy chained and tied back into hypervoltage unit.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

ahh, now I see.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Eoanou
I hate when I pull up to people drop it into low gear so they can hear the intake and immediately assume I am some jackass because I modified a $32,000 Acura, the Lancer Evolution costs about the same and people mod those as well. I don't see why people would call me spoiled for doing the same on my car as others do with their car.

By the way the way Joed40 where in CT do you live, I see that you have a TL type-s from your avatar, it looks nice, also more air does help gain more performance because the computer will add more fuel to balance the air/fuel ratio, but you're right no matter how much air you have if it's warm you'll feel a huge power loss.
Man..........who cares what other peoples assumptions are! get past that.

And there is no........HUGE .....power loss involved with the increased air temperature. I would say that with my insulated CAI and the thermoblock spacers and throttle body coolant bypass my intake charge is about as cool as its gonna get. I can definately feel a difference over the stock setup, but in no way would I term it HUGE. Its more like twice as much of a power increase as the decrease you feel when your AC compressor kicks in, 20 HP maximum I would guess.

The best feature is that I dont feel any performance loss like before when you would drive and then park and the engine compartment would get heatsoaked, there is none of that, feels like a fresh cool morning everytime.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:41 PM
peemp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why pay $230 plus shipping, when you can pay $165 SHIPPED, POLISHED, with HAT and BAG
Old 12-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

^because AEM is better, lol. I dont have to pay $230 plus shipping, my brother in law has an account with AEM, at cost items are for me
Old 12-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Banned

my aem puts me in place to beat the shit out of any 3rd gen stock tl. All I wanted was to be a little ahead of the game. By the way, im sure those short intakes sound cooler, but the air that you suck with that is way hotter thatn the stock system. Although the change does free of the costriction within the stock system due to the absence of the resonator and extending the diameter of the tube. Either way, a CAI with a tube that runs to the bottom of the engine bay should give you the best of both worlds. Oh and for the person who said intake doesent do anything- i gained a second and a half on my 1/4 mile- tested 5 or 6 times, and i would rather keep my 5K for my next car rather that throwing on a supercharger that is just going to get me killed by giving me more HP than I can handle. um..... wait, on second thought, a supercharger would be very nice, too bad I cant afford one. (Cognitive dissonance recognition) Peace.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TetraLudious05
my aem puts me in place to beat the shit out of any 3rd gen stock tl. All I wanted was to be a little ahead of the game. Oh and for the person who said intake doesent do anything- i gained a second and a half on my 1/4 mile- tested 5 or 6 times, and i would rather keep my 5K for my next car rather that throwing on a supercharger that is just going to get me killed by giving me more HP than I can handle. um..... wait, on second thought, a supercharger would be very nice, too bad I cant afford one. (Cognitive dissonance recognition) Peace.
lol same here, always want to hear it. Do you have an 5at or 6speed? What time did you run in the 1/4?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
It really has nothing to do with being a vendor. It has to do with what I know. Adding a filter to the end of your stock boot and sealing it with electrical tape is, IMO, GHETTO. Firstly you are really only creating more noise; thus the reason I don't generally recommend SRI's. Yes hypothetically it will create maybe 1-2 more hp b/c it doesn't have to go through as many chambers to get the air into the IM but I think if you are going to spend $30,000+ on a TL why not spend $200 on an intake that actually has been researched and developed and dynoed. Just my opinion but you can do whatever you want. In fact when I bought my CL-S the guy who had it before did the same thing you did and I took it off the first day I got the car b/c it was ghetto and all it did was create noise. I am just a firm believer in you get what you pay for b/c everytime I have tried to go the cheap route I have been screwed and end up paying the second time around for the right part/job and therefore have spent more $ and time than I needed to.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Adding a filter to the end of your stock boot and sealing it with electrical tape is, IMO, GHETTO..
Who sees it? IMO something unseen cannot be called ghetto.

Firstly you are really only creating more noise; thus the reason I don't generally recommend SRI's. Yes hypothetically it will create maybe 1-2 more hp b/c it doesn't have to go through as many chambers to get the air into the IM but I think if you are going to spend $30,000+ on a TL why not spend $200 on an intake that actually has been researched and developed and dynoed..
I never paid 30k for the car, due to the *lack of funds* as I call it, yes I still owe $4500 on the car and also have college to pay for, so IMO that $200 can be better spent elsewhere.

Just my opinion but you can do whatever you want. In fact when I bought my CL-S the guy who had it before did the same thing you did and I took it off the first day I got the car b/c it was ghetto and all it did was create noise. I am just a firm believer in you get what you pay for b/c everytime I have tried to go the cheap route I have been screwed and end up paying the second time around for the right part/job and therefore have spent more $ and time than I needed to.
Right now I am enjoying my free mod, you can imply that it looks like shit all you want, but I really dont care because it is something that is heard/ felt and not seen.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Banned

lol same here, always want to hear it. Do you have an 5at or 6speed? What time did you run in the 1/4?
got a 5at with 13.3
Old 12-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

got a 5at with 13.3
Supercharged?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Who sees it? IMO something unseen cannot be called ghetto.

I never paid 30k for the car, due to the *lack of funds* as I call it, yes I still owe $4500 on the car and also have college to pay for, so IMO that $200 can be better spent elsewhere.

Right now I am enjoying my free mod, you can imply that it looks like shit all you want, but I really dont care because it is something that is heard/ felt and not seen.
I'm not going to argue with you about it. Its your mod and that's your opinion. I was stating my personal and professional opinion.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:29 AM
Suzuka Master

got a 5at with 13.3
Damit! where is the bullshit smilies when you need em!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damit! where is the bullshit smilies when you need em!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JJaber06
Yeah!....Thats what I needed when I heard a 5AT running a 13.3 with only a CAI mod
Old 12-15-2006, 02:46 PM
6MT & LSD

^He said he ran 17.x here : https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143206
Old 12-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah!....Thats what I needed when I heard a 5AT running a 13.3 with only a CAI mod
SHIT now im getting a aem cai, so I can 13.3!!

lol j/k.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:54 PM
6MT & LSD

So you gotta take off the electrical tape when you need to replace/re-oil the filter?

Do ya think the electrical tape's adhesive will hold up against the engine bay temp?? Get a clamp or something at least!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ndx2
So you gotta take off the electrical tape when you need to replace/re-oil the filter?

Do ya think the electrical tape's adhesive will hold up against the engine bay temp?? Get a clamp or something at least!
Filter is good for 20k miles before it needs to be cleaned. It takes only a minute to put on. Its electrical tape, made to withstand heat (most of it)
Old 12-15-2006, 05:07 PM
peemp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^because AEM is better, lol. I dont have to pay $230 plus shipping, my brother in law has an account with AEM, at cost items are for me
So why did you have you build your own intake j/k man, good luck in that.

And by the way AEM is not better than Fujita, coz Fujita gives you a free hat
Old 12-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Banned

PARDON ME. I was runnig slow a long time ago. This was fixed by acura. There was a problem with the ECU. TO be honest with you all. ENjoy running your mouths about my time. I do not lie about stupid shit. We all have the same car. before the Cai I ran a 14.8. With cai it gave me about a second. IS THAT SO MFING HARD TO BELEIVE? ANY YES CAI DYNOS TO GIVE 15 TO 18 HP IF I RECALL. which is more than a cai gives on average. I will not return to this thread to argue about any of this crap. it pisses me off that we cant have a conversation without some DICK opening his mouth. too bad this is not in person
Old 12-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

PARDON ME. I was runnig slow a long time ago. This was fixed by acura. There was a problem with the ECU. TO be honest with you all. ENjoy running your mouths about my time. I do not lie about stupid shit. We all have the same car. before the Cai I ran a 14.8. With cai it gave me about a second. IS THAT SO MFING HARD TO BELEIVE? ANY YES CAI DYNOS TO GIVE 15 TO 18 HP IF I RECALL. which is more than a cai gives on average. I will not return to this thread to argue about any of this crap. it pisses me off that we cant have a conversation without some DICK opening his mouth. too bad this is not in person
Post your times then, a scan would be good.
The only way to get a full second would be to add a 65 shot. Whats your 60'?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Banned

Post your times then, a scan would be good.
The only way to get a full second would be to add a 65 shot. Whats your 60'?
I do not keep my sheets. When I go back I will keep it. This is not important to me. If I were lying, I would post somebody elses sheet. You- accusing me of lying over something fing rediculous- makes me uncomfortable. You are in NJ- telling ME how fast my car is. Up yours.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

got a 5at with 13.3
Guys with S/C's have been able to run mid 13's. With the weight of this car running a mid 13 would take around 300HP (at the wheels). So I take it you got the S/C, right? Who'd you have install it?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Suzuka Master

I do not keep my sheets. When I go back I will keep it. This is not important to me. If I were lying, I would post somebody elses sheet. You- accusing me of lying over something fing rediculous- makes me uncomfortable. You are in NJ- telling ME how fast my car is. Up yours.
I am in CA and I am telling you how fast your car isn't! Your right we all have the same cars.......dont you think we know how fast they run?????? And 18 hp isnt gonna trim 1 sec from the 1/4 mile by the way

Dude, I just checked your signature and it says your running 20" wheels.........now gimme a friigin break 13.3 thats a crock even with a S/C and 20's you cant do that
Old 12-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Sheets? I don’t know what I am more bewildered over, you calling them “sheets” or that your aem cai purportedly gave you 65hp, LMAO. There is no way in the world you will get a 13.3 with just an intake. You obviously have no idea to as what you are talking about. I am condemning you preposterous, and that alone should make you very uncomfortable (as I abhor liars). It doesnt matter where I am located, I can be all over the world, and your tl will not run 13.3. It is simply wishful thinking, is that what you asked santa for? .

I am in CA and I am telling you how fast your car isn't! Your right we all have the same cars.......dont you think we know how fast they run?????? And 18 hp isnt gonna trim 1 sec from the 1/4 mile by the way

Dude, I just checked your signature and it says your running 20" wheels.........now gimme a friigin break 13.3 thats a crock even with a S/C and 20's you cant do that
I agree with you 100%
Old 12-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
TetraLudious05, I would also like to see these sheets as well.

Im coordinating a huge meet in Austin as a matter of fact here in Jan. Goto the meet forum and check it out. I would like to see this 13.3 1/4 mile 5AT TL. All I can say is it better have a fucking rocket strapped to it...
Old 12-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Banned

1. 17's were on when i went to the strip in january. 2. no, your not telling me how fast my car ran, you were not there. 3. No, I am not interested in making time in my perfect little schedule to go to your "meet" (hehe "cool") 4. I do not wish to be in a forum full of assholes. 5. "alone??" dude-- you have no mfing idea what you are talking about. I have been with a chick since high school that you only gather the privelege to check out on a daily basis and dream to touch. (btw, cool car color family man).- I also happen to be at the top of my class at UT austin, on my wa to medical school- with all in mind, I happen to be extremely an extremely good looking and strong mfer. So please, be nice and jealous. I cant seem to get enough already on a daily basis. I not need you to piss me off any more, i have an biochem final on monday, so feel free to enjoy typing away bull with your keyboards and then going to jerk it because your chicks are ugly or you cant get any. Sincerely, the guy that ran a 13.3 in his car that is apparently faster that most of yours.

Quick Reply: New intake installed