My 3.7 mani, ZDX TB, and pnp runners build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by TLOHTL
There's times when you can dyno b4/after. Examples : install an intake, a j-pipe, a catback, a im/tb upgrade. This will illustrate true gains. I do agree that when p&p does happen there will be down time. The best way would obviously be to purchase another im/tb and have them ported already but no one is willing to do that lol. But atleast you could do b4/after with the 3.7 im as it is. And in my experience as long as you reset ecu there is no gain of waiting a week for ecu to "learn". I have seen my tl and other tls be +/- about 2whp which is normal on dynos due to weather difference etc. (1 week later)
I too am interested in this mod and I would appreciate b4/after of the 3.7 remaining stock. Thanks!
yep and that's what i am expecting - it definitely isn't going to be exact because realistically there's too many factors in dynoing X weeks/days apart.

I think the main goal is to prove there are meaningful gains. Using simple numbers we could assert that if my car produces +10 whp after just adding the IM/TB, compared to my previous dyno, we could reasonably assert at least a 7 whp gain on most applications with a similar mod setup to mine. It isn't exact but it isn't useless data either.

There are a lot of people who say, for example, that going with a bigger IM/TB and PnP, etc. is utterly worthless unless you go deeper and do head work, bigger injectors, etc. I'm not entirely convinced of that on the j-series and just want to contribute to the overall knowledge in the community on what mods can truly make power on our cars.

I think we all know it won't be a perfectly exacting science, as even from car to car the same mods will produce different numbers on the same day and same dyno.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Very true. We do know this will make power though, considering I made 15whp over my ported stock manifold on the 3.0. I'm excited to see the gains on the 3.5 though, especially after porting. FYI, there will be more gains if/when you upgrade to a larger CAI as well (my next mod ).
Old 10-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

well, i decided to ax my evening and just install everything tonight.

the manifold and TB went in just fine, on startup it was clean aside from slightly erratic idle (about 300 rpm bounces at first) and settled after 20 miles of driving as the ECU figured shit out.

bad news is i came home, shut it off and gave it a once over to make sure things were still tight - I tightened down the relocated IAT (relocated it to the AEM V2 intake), started the car back up to give it another drive and threw a CEL right away as it started up.

I got my OBDII scanner out and pulled one code - P0113 which is IAT code. I reset the code and started the car again, and the CEL has subsided. So it seems intermittent.

Other than that the car drives just fine, no surging or power loss that I can see/feel.

If anyone has thoughts on the IAT, throw them out there.
The following users liked this post:
Sonnick (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Give it a few days!
I bet the relocated IAT sensor freaked the ECU out a bit
i_love_cars (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
Give it a few days!
I bet the relocated IAT sensor freaked the ECU out a bit
that is my thought as well. Hopefully it was a one-time thing and the ECU continues to level everything out.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 539 Posts
Just what you were telling me about over the weekend! Glad you got the setup installed, hopefully it goes well for you!

Sweet car by the way, loved the way it sounded when you drove off.
i_love_cars (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KJ TL-S
Just what you were telling me about over the weekend! Glad you got the setup installed, hopefully it goes well for you!

Sweet car by the way, loved the way it sounded when you drove off.
yeah it's too bad the pavement was wet so I had to regulate and couldn't really rip it that hard.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
That's odd. I never threw any codes back when I installed my AEM V1 and relocated the IAT. Hopefully it was just a fluke!

Did your buddy put his M3 away already? I'd love to see another run now to see if you hang more closely.
Sonnick (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 PM
All motor

The intake manifold/TB install is pretty simple. The runners will be much more involved though.

Glad you got it installed man. I haven't seen anyone with that code after the manifold/TB install. Drive around with it some more and see what happens. I had the erratic idle and threw a code as well. The code went away and the idle is perfect. The only 'difference' in terms of 100% stock-like driving is the fact that if I put the car in neutral and cruise to a light, the RPMs will hover for a couple seconds and then settle down. However, I could care less about that, especially considering the gains. How does the butt dyno feel so far?

Did you try cleaning off the IAT? Maybe it got dirty or somehow damaged upon relocation?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:55 AM

well, I remember my friend Bada$$vtec re-located his IAT sensor to the intake spot as well.
I remembering him getting a code, it said something like IAT sensor error. or something like that.

He does have an EGR block off plate that is also throwing a code.
I'm not to sure if his IAT error went away or not.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

it may have been a fluke.

I got up this morning and drove to work without any codes going off again after I reset them with the OBDII last night.

I'd like to say the butt dyno feels stronger, but I'm always hesitant to make those kinds of claims. I like facts as over the past 15 years I've heard far too many wild, outlandish claims by know-nothings that slap an intake on their car and "feel it".

But I digress - I can safely say I am not feeling any power loss. I would like to say I can notice a slight increase up top. My backfiring has leveled out as well - I still pop every now and again but prior to the install I could backfire absolutely at will when I wanted to. I am definitely getting more air to balance out the exhaust mods.

My buddy's M3 is.....down for the count already, lol. I love the car, don't get me wrong, but I spent the past 6 years driving a TL and being laughed at by him because he would say "you realize for that kind of money you could get an M3, right?", and every time I told him buying a used M3 with 60-70k miles is a crapshoot, lol.

So now here we sit with an M3 that has a broken Fun Mode, where any time you flog it to WOT it dumps into limp mode - CEL, headlights flicker, e-brake light goes on, traction control comes back on and VSA button does not respond lolol. It's also happened at like, 1/4 throttle coming out of turns. So the M3 will be going to the shop very shortly lol.

Suffice it to say, no more pulls against the M3 this year.

I'll be calling King today to try to schedule some dyno time with the new IM/TB now, though.

Last edited by i_love_cars; 10-16-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:36 AM

at m3
i_love_cars (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Burning Brakes

at m3
he's pretty embarrassed about it lol.

The more ridiculous thing is how bad BMW service is around here - we took the car to International Autos on Saturday morning first thing, and they told us they couldn't look at his car today because they "only do light maintenance on Saturdays".

Really? You can't even look at this code readout of "possibles" and hook it up to a computer and even attempt to detect what's wrong? We aren't talking about pulling a motor out and replacing a bottom end, here. Just looking for diagnosis at the moment.

I shook my head and was reminded of why I would never buy a car from them lol
Old 10-16-2012, 07:59 AM

and hooking up the OBDII reader isnt considered light!?!??!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

and hooking up the OBDII reader isnt considered light!?!??!
my thoughts exactly.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

alright good news has arrived -

I just talked with King and they have a dyno days event coming up this Saturday.

I'm going in tomorrow morning to dyno the IM/TB as-is, then I will swap back to stock IM/TB and come back on Saturday to dyno that, and then leave them with the new IM/TB/runners to work on.

They run on a dynojet so I will definitely feel more confident in measuring the gains of the im/tb if I can run within a few days of stock vs. the new stuff.

I will post results tomorrow.
The following 4 users liked this post by i_love_cars:
3gstealth (10-16-2012), justnspace (10-16-2012), pearlUA7 (10-17-2012), Sonnick (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 AM
All motor

Funny you say how hesitant you are at making 'butt dyno' claims. I was the same way after the install. I didn't want to downplay it, but also didn't want to be let down on the dyno. So I said to myself, I feel something but I can't quantify it at this point. I went to the dyno and figured I'd be happy with 10whp, and got 15. Needless to say I was happy.

This car and the butt dyno don't mix all that well. With high IATs, the car loses considerable power. Yet when it's cold and dry, the car feels beast. The only way to tell is on a dyno.

OP make sure the dyno is done with the same correction factor (SAE vs. SAE or STD vs. STD). SAE numbers are the 'most accurate.' I want to guess what numbers you will put down tomorrow, but I'm not going to speculate this time
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
I know how your buddy must feel about his M3, I had constant troubles with my S4... German cars cause heartache.

I look forward to seeing your numbers. I just received my zdx TB and shawd mani too. As soon as I get my mani cover back from getting powder coated I will do my after dyno and we can compare results between the 3.5 and 3.2
Sonnick (10-16-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

dyno results are in, I am very pleased with the AFR in particular - my last dyno in August was putting down peak rich AFR of like 11.5. Adding the 3.7 manifold and a bigger TB definitely seems to have helped balance it out as the numbers were much more in normal range (and I am not backfiring nearly as much).

I am about to go swap the stock mani/tb back onto the car in preparation for Dyno Days on Saturday and will report back on the differences (if any).

Here is the SAE CF dyno chart from King today:

Name:  dyno_oct_17.jpg
Views: 4123
Size:  205.3 KB
The following 3 users liked this post by i_love_cars:
FCVadi (10-17-2012), hondazex (10-18-2012), Sonnick (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 PM
All motor

Nice numbers dude! 289/254. The most impressive thing to me is that torque curve. You are over 200wtq under 2K RPMs. Not only that, it's as flat as Meg Ryan from 3.5K to 6K. The HP is very impressive as well, and I can see you left the butterflies in

You have a 2.5" exhaust, right? If you upgraded to 3" you would definitely see gains and the powerband would probably plain off closer to redline rather than at 6300. Only reason I bring this up is because you had mentioned cams previously, and with cams, the 2.5" exhaust could hurt you. On the K series, cars see 10-15whp gains after switching from a 2.5" to a 3" exhaust with cams.

Just out of curiousity, have you seen any other cars dyno at King to get a comparison?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by i_love_cars
dyno results are in, I am very pleased with the AFR in particular - my last dyno in August was putting down peak rich AFR of like 11.5. Adding the 3.7 manifold and a bigger TB definitely seems to have helped balance it out as the numbers were much more in normal range (and I am not backfiring nearly as much).

I am about to go swap the stock mani/tb back onto the car in preparation for Dyno Days on Saturday and will report back on the differences (if any).

Here is the SAE CF dyno chart from King today:

Question is "this mod worth the money"? I have a 2004 TL 3.2 and looking into getting these mods. So your butt feeling and dyno charts say YES or NO? In your opinion.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:47 PM
All motor

^ Didn't you see my dyno?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick
it's as flat as Meg Ryan

thats just mean.. she is a nice person and in her youth was very good looking ... still flat though
Sonnick (10-18-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice numbers dude! 289/254. The most impressive thing to me is that torque curve. You are over 200wtq under 2K RPMs. Not only that, it's as flat as Meg Ryan from 3.5K to 6K. The HP is very impressive as well, and I can see you left the butterflies in

You have a 2.5" exhaust, right? If you upgraded to 3" you would definitely see gains and the powerband would probably plain off closer to redline rather than at 6300. Only reason I bring this up is because you had mentioned cams previously, and with cams, the 2.5" exhaust could hurt you. On the K series, cars see 10-15whp gains after switching from a 2.5" to a 3" exhaust with cams.

Just out of curiousity, have you seen any other cars dyno at King to get a comparison?
yeah, well the guy at King said his buddy just bought a 6mt type-s and now he might try to get him over to the dyno on Saturday so we can see. They said they really don't get many TL's over there and he can't recall a type-s 6mt that's been on their dyno yet prior to mine.

I was very pleased with the numbers considering I'm running HFPC's instead of PCD's.

Originally Posted by Joey tl
Question is "this mod worth the money"? I have a 2004 TL 3.2 and looking into getting these mods. So your butt feeling and dyno charts say YES or NO? In your opinion.
Joey, if you see in the thread I mentioned that this Saturday I am going back to the same dyno with my stock 3.5 manifold/TB. That will tell us how much difference there is, if any, between the 3.5 mani/tb and the 3.7 mani/zdx TB.

On Saturday as well I will be leaving the 3.7 mani/TB and my spare set of intake runners (sourced from Sonnick ), for them to PnP. Then I will install all of that and re-dyno a 3rd time.

I am expecting to be all done with final results by 1st week of November, at which point I'll update the first post in this thread with full information from start to finish.
The following 4 users liked this post by i_love_cars:
DomGSR-T (10-17-2012), pearlUA7 (10-18-2012), Sonnick (10-17-2012), thisaznboi88 (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Awesome numbers. Are you fully bolted? I can't remember.

And regarding the HFC's vs PCD's. I've never dynoed, but I did gain roughly 1.5 mph corrected after switching from the stock cats to the HFC's, with the only other interim change being a switch from M1 5w20 to Redline 0w20. So I picked up a good 13-15 whp there. A couple of it may have been the oil, but I still firmly believe the difference between the HFC's and PCD's is negligible.

I also picked up another .55 mph corrected from the ported runners and bored stock TB, so those two mods seem to have added maybe 5 whp, about what I'd expect. I'll be stoked if the 3.7 swap adds another 10-12.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Awesome numbers. Are you fully bolted? I can't remember.

And regarding the HFC's vs PCD's. I've never dynoed, but I did gain roughly 1.5 mph corrected after switching from the stock cats to the HFC's, with the only other interim change being a switch from M1 5w20 to Redline 0w20. So I picked up a good 13-15 whp there. A couple of it may have been the oil, but I still firmly believe the difference between the HFC's and PCD's is negligible.

I also picked up another .55 mph corrected from the ported runners and bored stock TB, so those two mods seem to have added maybe 5 whp, about what I'd expect. I'll be stoked if the 3.7 swap adds another 10-12.
yeah fully bolted on. Front to back I'm running aem v2, HFPC's, v3 jpipe, and atlp quads.

Interesting info on the PCD vs HFPC's - I was never sure of how big the differences are given how thin the HFPC's actually are. I mean they basically just mask the smell and not much else to restrict flow lol so I'm not surprised

I put the stock mani/tb back on today after the dyno so I'm ready for Saturday to find out the difference between stock 3.5 IM/TB vs 3.7, which I expect to be 5-8 whp if I had to guess. I expect to pull somewhere around 282.

With PnP on everything, as long as the AEM V2 intake can keep the velocity and volume up, I wouldn't be surprised if it closes in on the 300 mark.

Honestly that's my only concern right now - given the tubing on the V2 is designed to match up to a stock TL throttlebody...I had to stretch the coupler out significantly to fit it over the ZDX TB inlet. It would be nice if I could run an intake with an outlet that matches the inlet on the ZDX TB.

It just makes me wonder how much more could be gained on the PnP setup if the outlet tube on the intake was more of a match for the TB.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'am proud to have lost to you in a race Nice numbers man!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
nice AFR !!!! for stock ECU !!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Instructor

wow against me 266 whp max / 240wtq max with sae correted you hit 23 whp and 14 wtq more ... you have a exhaust and intake combo 3.7 over me !!! interressing number i need a exhaust !!!!!!!!!!!! 1/4 mile needed
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by hondazex
wow against me 266 whp max / 240wtq max with sae correted you hit 23 whp and 14 wtq more ... you have a exhaust and intake combo 3.7 over me !!! interressing number i need a exhaust !!!!!!!!!!!! 1/4 mile needed
I realize all dynos read different, but assuming they read the same, thats a HUGE improvement with the 3.7 intake especially since you have PCD and he has HFC. That would be insane if these 3.7 mods gave us 20 whp, but I will still be happy with half of that
Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lazer187
I'am proud to have lost to you in a race Nice numbers man!
Maybe this will give us a summer project for your car next year

nice AFR !!!! for stock ECU !!!!
Yeah given my last dyno in August with stock mani/TB read really rich at like 11.5 AFR, this was very encouraging for me. I am really anxious for Saturday now to go back and get dyno'd with stock mani/tb again to see if it really does run that much richer in a consistent manner with stock mani/TB and exhaust mods.

we'll see - I usually don't go to the drag strip. I prefer auto cross tracks. We'll see what I feel like next season.

Originally Posted by 3gstealth
I realize all dynos read different, but assuming they read the same, thats a HUGE improvement with the 3.7 intake especially since you have PCD and he has HFC. That would be insane if these 3.7 mods gave us 20 whp, but I will still be happy with half of that
Yeah I dunno, 20 whp sounds really optimistic and I am expecting maybe 10whp, but the lingering question will still be what these 3.7 mods make when you have a purely stock car. I don't think the gains would be nearly as good without supporting mods. My car ran way smoother earlier this week when I drove it with the 3.7 - the AFR's kinda support that. I would think a 3.7 by itself would make our cars lean out with no supporting mods. It's all speculation of course because I don't have a stock TL to try this on.
hondazex (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Instructor

propably PCD vs HFC 3-5 whp ... my estimation PCD give 10-14 whp ...
atlp exhaust vs stock oversize ...another 8-12 whp
combo 3.7 intake vs stock 3.5 ... 8-12 whp too
aem v2 in vs stock box .... 5-8 whp
dyno error 2-4 % ... 5-10 whp

more with the results of the dyno, you really start to have a good idea of the gain of each part , but the whp move up with different bolt-on combo !!!

Last edited by hondazex; 10-18-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Also I have to give a big thanks to Marcus over at Heeltoe - kicking ass as usual. I ordered spare OEM IM gasket with my 3.7 parts but that was only a backup - I totally forgot to order my P2R Thermal IM gasket and I have to give everything to King Motorsports on Saturday - recognizing that I have a tight schedule and that 2-day FedEx wouldn't arrive until Monday, Marcus got it moved over to USPS First Class for me so it'll be here tomorrow/Saturday. Great customer service IMO.

Bigtime lifesaver as I need that gasket to be matched up against the porting on 3.7 manifold.
Sonnick (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I_love_cars, then a fourth dyno with a 4" intake? You take donations?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pearlUA7
I_love_cars, then a fourth dyno with a 4" intake? You take donations?
i would love to do a 4th dyno with a 4" intake but honestly I have no idea where I'll get one that'll fit in the TL
Old 10-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
ILC, It will be custom.. you can buy a pipe/tube and use the same filter since the V2 filter is a 4inch opening.. that or 3.5 but I think 4

hit swoosh up for questions, he might be delayed in responding since he is trying to get other stuff done outside of his car

or you can wait about a month and I should have all the #/IDs lined up since I plan on getting it as well
Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FCVadi
ILC, It will be custom.. you can buy a pipe/tube and use the same filter since the V2 filter is a 4inch opening.. that or 3.5 but I think 4

hit swoosh up for questions, he might be delayed in responding since he is trying to get other stuff done outside of his car

or you can wait about a month and I should have all the #/IDs lined up since I plan on getting it as well
that's kinda what i was expecting, and yea the V2 is a 4" filter so totally re-usable.

i'll hang low for a while if you're figuring out the details already.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM
All motor

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you dyno 279/248 tomorrow on the stock manifold/TB. Once ported/gasket matched/runners, I'm gonna say you put down 301/261.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you dyno 279/248 tomorrow on the stock manifold/TB. Once ported/gasket matched/runners, I'm gonna say you put down 301/261.
in my head i'd love to agree with you and your numbers are close to what I was thinking as well, but I also don't want to overshoot and be disappointed lol
Old 10-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
Also I have to give a big thanks to Marcus over at Heeltoe - kicking ass as usual. I ordered spare OEM IM gasket with my 3.7 parts but that was only a backup - I totally forgot to order my P2R Thermal IM gasket and I have to give everything to King Motorsports on Saturday - recognizing that I have a tight schedule and that 2-day FedEx wouldn't arrive until Monday, Marcus got it moved over to USPS First Class for me so it'll be here tomorrow/Saturday. Great customer service IMO.

Bigtime lifesaver as I need that gasket to be matched up against the porting on 3.7 manifold.
Worse comes to worst, that gasket is pretty easy to open up/match with a dremel.

Quick Reply: My 3.7 mani, ZDX TB, and pnp runners build thread