Magnaflow Exhaust - PERFECT!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Magnaflow Exhaust - PERFECT!

Hey guys, I got my custom magnflow exhaust installed the other day, and I finally took some pictures and wanted to give you guys the heads up. The drone isnt overpowering, and I have heared the comptech exhaust in person, and I prefer the magnflow mufflers on my set-up much better. It has a better balance, it doesnt draw to much attention, but you can definently tell that I have some custom exhaust work. I have two polished steel stainless mufflers from maganflow part#14362. Along with the mufflers, the center mid muffler was removed, and stainless steel piping was put in place from the Resonator all the way to the mufflers, and a Y pipe was made. My resonator is still there, and I dont have any plans on taking them out. The total cost of everything was around $390 including parts and install. I'm very happy with it, and check out my thread for videos and sound bytes..

Sound wise, the 2.5k range is where this thing is loud, the drone is perfect, it sounds like this car should of, very deep, very intimidating, but not overpowering. THe comptech does that, and from what I saw of the Greddy, it does as well. It fits well, and it makes the shifts on the car stand out more. I have the automatic, with AEM CAI, Grounding/Voltage Kit, and I can feel a slight difference in performance, this is mostly for sound. I used the stock 2.25inch piping diameter, so I'm not getting much more performance. I do plan on doing the UR pulley, and I think this exhaust is the best value out there. Thanks to Subin for being the one to really push me towards this. Nothing looks better than our stock tips by far!

ALSO! Expect my custom big brake kit to be on the car by the end of next week!!

[/QUOTE]

More information and pictures will be in my car thread, link in the signature.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I know you're working on a sound clip Looks good, by the way...only someone on here could probably tell it's not stock (by appearance)...very clean. Question, could you have gone with a larger pipe if you had wanted?
The following users liked this post:
Tiggerx3 (05-28-2014)
Old 11-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Silky Smooth

I could have, but it doesnt make any sense, since the exhaust tips are 2.25 and so is most of the piping, so even if I change all the piping, the tips are still 2.25, so why not save money and just go 2.25 all the way around. It made more sense for me..
Old 11-11-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lokius
I could have, but it doesnt make any sense, since the exhaust tips are 2.25 and so is most of the piping, so even if I change all the piping, the tips are still 2.25, so why not save money and just go 2.25 all the way around. It made more sense for me..
it does make perfect sense. Going larger and creating a bottleneck will only create problems with a naturally aspirated engine. As I said in the other thread, yuo did a great job with the exhaust setup!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Got Pearl?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by invincible569
it does make perfect sense. Going larger and creating a bottleneck will only create problems with a naturally aspirated engine. As I said in the other thread, yuo did a great job with the exhaust setup!

wow...when I looked at your pics I was like what the hell, did someone take pics of my exhaust? Looks awesome.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that looks good , you just need a car wash.... can't wait to hear it
Old 11-12-2005, 02:09 AM
B A N N E D

I LOVE the stock tips still on there. I always regretted losing those when I went Comptech. A+ conversion Lokius....looks really nice!
Old 11-13-2005, 02:14 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet man, can't wait to hear what it sounds like
Old 11-13-2005, 08:45 AM
I slow down for COPS

Talking

I got my parts on order.

Thanks for all the input and ideas.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:45 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
awsome job i really like the look of the SS mufflers. looks really good, glad everything worked out for you
Old 11-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts

Good call! Magnaflow mufflers are actually so high flowing that they alleviate the need for upgraded piping.

I used to work for them and time and time again we would see smaller diameter piping yield the same or better HP numbers with increased torque levels when using smaller pipe!

+ pipe size /= more performance....not all the time anyway.

Magnaflows with moderate sized piping almost always are the best you can do.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:58 PM
CWR
Advanced

Your Magnaflow exhaust

Your exhaust is sick. I just replaced the mufflers with the magnaflow ones. The guy who did it said if I want it louder to come back and he would take off the resignator. I noticed that you said you did not do this. Why? How can you get the sound and the performance with out taking off the resignator?

Thanks,
CWR
Old 11-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by CWR
Your exhaust is sick. I just replaced the mufflers with the magnaflow ones. The guy who did it said if I want it louder to come back and he would take off the resignator. I noticed that you said you did not do this. Why? How can you get the sound and the performance with out taking off the resignator?

Thanks,
CWR

Taking out the third muffler makes a lot of difference in the sound.

I went from cat back and I love mine...My wife loves it, I was scared she would hate it, but with the AEM intake and the exhaust IMO it really opens the car up.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:00 PM
One on the right for me

removing the resonator actually isnt going to make that much of a different performance wise. the mid muffler should be removed when swapping mufflers. most of us will just put on a magnaflow (or other high flow) resonator...smooths out the tone more than it restricts anything. im going to cut mine off next week and put flanges on a straight pipe to see how harsh the tone is with just the little mufflers in the back...ill update when it happens.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by subinf
removing the resonator actually isnt going to make that much of a different performance wise. the mid muffler should be removed when swapping mufflers. most of us will just put on a magnaflow (or other high flow) resonator...smooths out the tone more than it restricts anything. im going to cut mine off next week and put flanges on a straight pipe to see how harsh the tone is with just the little mufflers in the back...ill update when it happens.

In a way that is about what I have, I have only the 14" ss resonator along with the two mufflers.

Funny story= My wife came home today and said she loved the way the car sounds.....I was behind her two days ago and she didn't notice and I saw her blow a way a G35 sedan, I caught up to the guy driving the G (we both ended up at staples) and I said wow that girl in the TL blew u away. He just looked at me said whatever. LOL
Old 11-23-2005, 08:56 AM
CWR
Advanced

Originally Posted by flvol77
Taking out the third muffler makes a lot of difference in the sound.

I went from cat back and I love mine...My wife loves it, I was scared she would hate it, but with the AEM intake and the exhaust IMO it really opens the car up.
This is going to sound really stupid. However, which one is the third muffler. I see a bunch of them down there. Is it the one closest to the rear tires? Is that also called the mid muffler?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:59 AM
CWR
Advanced

Hey guys, I got my custom magnflow exhaust installed the other day, and I finally took some pictures and wanted to give you guys the heads up. The drone isnt overpowering, and I have heared the comptech exhaust in person, and I prefer the magnflow mufflers on my set-up much better. It has a better balance, it doesnt draw to much attention, but you can definently tell that I have some custom exhaust work. I have two polished steel stainless mufflers from maganflow part#14362. Along with the mufflers, the center mid muffler was removed, and stainless steel piping was put in place from the Resonator all the way to the mufflers, and a Y pipe was made. My resonator is still there, and I dont have any plans on taking them out. The total cost of everything was around $390 including parts and install. I'm very happy with it, and check out my thread for videos and sound bytes..

Sound wise, the 2.5k range is where this thing is loud, the drone is perfect, it sounds like this car should of, very deep, very intimidating, but not overpowering. THe comptech does that, and from what I saw of the Greddy, it does as well. It fits well, and it makes the shifts on the car stand out more. I have the automatic, with AEM CAI, Grounding/Voltage Kit, and I can feel a slight difference in performance, this is mostly for sound. I used the stock 2.25inch piping diameter, so I'm not getting much more performance. I do plan on doing the UR pulley, and I think this exhaust is the best value out there. Thanks to Subin for being the one to really push me towards this. Nothing looks better than our stock tips by far!

More information and pictures will be in my car thread, link in the signature.[/QUOTE]
Did you get your brakes yet? What kind are you getting? How much is it costing you? That is what I want to do next. Your car is sick.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:07 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by CWR
This is going to sound really stupid. However, which one is the third muffler. I see a bunch of them down there. Is it the one closest to the rear tires? Is that also called the mid muffler?

its the one right after the resonator...i guess its going by a lot of different names. i just call it the mid-muffler.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Looks great and I'm sure it sounds awesome!

BTW - Is that a green First-Gen TL parked diagonally from you in the first pic? It looks jealous....
Old 11-23-2005, 05:08 PM
I like to whistle in my

That's hot!! Looks like it came out clean. I for one like the stock tips so this is more the route i would go too. Plus the mufflers still allow great ground clearance unlike a few other setups i've seen. Looking forward to the sound clips too.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:55 AM
I slow down for COPS

Ok, guys, I had mine done too.

I got the mufflers from e-bay for $65.00 a pop. Brand new, made an offer on them.

I had the mid-muffler removed and stainless steal pipe put in place. Stock tips rock, so I had them rewelded.

Question: I left all the piping stock, why change it? If you will go with the same size, why change it at all. The guy told me that it makes more sense to leave it and if I go bigger then it will give me more rice sound and I will loose horse-power. What do you think?

Thanks for your input and ideas.

Mark.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:56 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
Ok, guys, I had mine done too.

I got the mufflers from e-bay for $65.00 a pop. Brand new, made an offer on them.

I had the mid-muffler removed and stainless steal pipe put in place. Stock tips rock, so I had them rewelded.

Question: I left all the piping stock, why change it? If you will go with the same size, why change it at all. The guy told me that it makes more sense to leave it and if I go bigger then it will give me more rice sound and I will loose horse-power. What do you think?

Thanks for your input and ideas.

Mark.

i wound up staying with the stock piping...bigger was louder. up to a point going bigger isnt going to hurt. since i used really small rear mufflers i didnt want to take a chance by using larger pipe with the noise.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by subinf
i wound up staying with the stock piping...bigger was louder. up to a point going bigger isnt going to hurt. since i used really small rear mufflers i didnt want to take a chance by using larger pipe with the noise.

as most of u know I went 2.5 for cat to Y and 2.25 from Y to muffler. Believe me it sounds very deep and sounds great. My wife was like if it sounds like a damn civic I will kill and she LOVES IT!! The only thing I maybe do different would be to buy a magnaflow Y and have my exhaust built with it, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:34 PM
One on the right for me

as most of u know I went 2.5 for cat to Y and 2.25 from Y to muffler. Believe me it sounds very deep and sounds great. My wife was like if it sounds like a damn civic I will kill and she LOVES IT!! The only thing I maybe do different would be to buy a magnaflow Y and have my exhaust built with it, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing.

yeah i like how yours sounds a lot...good deep tone.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Intermediate

has anyone with the magnaflow exhaust made note of a fuel economy or hp increase? how much if any?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Silky Smooth

Originally Posted by CWR
Did you get your brakes yet? What kind are you getting? How much is it costing you? That is what I want to do next. Your car is sick.
Contact me via PM, and I will make sure you get all the information you need.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
so......has anyone posted sound clips of their magnaflow setups yet? Searched a few threads but nada...
Old 12-09-2005, 08:59 PM
CWR
Advanced

More information and pictures will be in my car thread, link in the signature.[/QUOTE]
How are your BBK's ? What is the name and number of the guy who did them. I am in So Cal and would like to see if he is interested in doing mine.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by special-ed
so......has anyone posted sound clips of their magnaflow setups yet? Searched a few threads but nada...

I did, but about half said they couldn't hear it?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:03 AM
NSX
10th Gear

That's the way to do it. Comptech said they lost power with 2.5" pipes throughout, so they use the 2" after the split, and 2.5" from the cat to the split. Probably sounds better too, with 2.5 to 2.25 versus 2.5 throughout.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Advanced

Thumbs up

I cant wait to get back from Iraq to fix up my TL. I'm sOoOooOO jealous of you guys.