Luk Clutch do not come preset. Come inside

Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
Just set mine using a hydraulic press today. Definitely had to be super careful to not overstress the parts, as they can easily be crushed with too much pressure. I got lucky and found an old top hat laying around and used that as a die.

Here's how I did it:

1) Carefully mount the pressure plate on the surface that bolts to the flywheel (I don't recommend using the pressure plate-clutch mounting surface).

2) Inspect the springs to make sure they are properly seated and won't bind when you adjust.

3) Hold the screwdriver against the inner tab, and SLOWLY pull down on the press lever until the spring load becomes free to move. I would say it had to go down about 1/2" to release tension. (I used small sockets and other screwdrivers to catch any other tabs and prevent from extending the springs in case my screwdriver against the tab slipped; just for insurance)

4) Push on the inner tab to pre-load the springs/inner assembly.

5) Slowly release the press while holding the tab in place with the springs compressed using the screwdriver.

6) Double check that the springs are not binded or caught on anything

For pics or additional info, follow this write up Mr. Heeltoe provided:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng86.shtml

Patience is the key, GL

OP, I hope you don't mind me posting this on here.
Hey man. Literally did the exact same thing today, but your post left me scratching my head. Why the extra care? I literally slapped the pp onto the flywheel, pressed on the pedals until the self adjusting mechanism was free to move (you see it start rotating slightly), then I took a screwdriver and with a single move just loaded the spring mechanism, releasing the press after that. The way you described it makes it seem like something really fiddly, when in fact it's pretty straightforward.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Glad this post is still helping people out. Clutch was holding close to 425whp and 350wtq , but would slip near the top. Boost power yo!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Glad this post is still helping people out. Clutch was holding close to 425whp and 350wtq , but would slip near the top. Boost power yo!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
I just had an LUK kit installed in my ‘08 Type-S and the pedal is harder to push and the clutch is grabbing about 1/2” off the floor. I’ve ground going into 1st twice and I’ve stalled my car once in the 2 weeks and 200 miles I’ve put on it. They checked pedal feel the next day cause I was concerned about air in the system and they said things felt ok. Now that a friend linked me to this I’m concerned. I have pictures, not good ones, showing the fingers up a bit higher on the LUK then what came off the car which was slipping pretty good on hard runs. Am I hosed? Wish I had better pre install pics. Top is new, bottom has 94k.

Last edited by millafied; 03-21-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:32 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
The new pressure plate in your top picture shows what looks like the plate being out of adjustment. Kind of hard to tell from that angle; if memory serves, the light green springs should be compressed all of the way.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by InspireJ32A
Hey man. Literally did the exact same thing today, but your post left me scratching my head. Why the extra care? I literally slapped the pp onto the flywheel, pressed on the pedals until the self adjusting mechanism was free to move (you see it start rotating slightly), then I took a screwdriver and with a single move just loaded the spring mechanism, releasing the press after that. The way you described it makes it seem like something really fiddly, when in fact it's pretty straightforward.
This is what I was wondering too. The tool does nothing more than what pressing the clutch in would do. Thanks for clarifying.

Did you replace your flywheel or slave cylinder too?

I'm 120k+ on my original clutch; rather replace it sooner than later. Curious how bad this will suck doing it on jack stands in the garage. Also time to replace the half shafts.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy
This is what I was wondering too. The tool does nothing more than what pressing the clutch in would do. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm 120k+ on my original clutch; rather replace it sooner than later. Curious how bad this will suck doing it on jack stands in the garage. Also time to replace the half shafts.
Reason being that if the PP isn't preloaded enough, you'll need to put massive force on the bolts attaching it to the FW to compress the spring, which those threads are not meant to handle. It may also install crooked as it's under force while being tightened leading to a possibility of binding on the clutch. If you can get the screws on 80% of the way and start to feel some force it's likely fine, but if you have to press it on just to get the bolts to be long enough, then crank down from there, you're risking it.

Just did mine at 190k and the flywheel wasn't as bad as it could have been. It's always better to replace it, but if you're on a budget you can probably get away with not doing so being proactive at 120k. Did mine on jack stands, with an engine lift and pulled the engine/trans out. If you do it that way it's not bad at all. If you're trying to drop the subframe or do it in the engine bay..... I wouldn't.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy

I'd imagine you wouldn't enjoy it very much, doing all of that with the car on jack stands. I know I'd definitely take my car to a shop.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by oraclem20
Just did mine at 190k and the flywheel wasn't as bad as it could have been. It's always better to replace it, but if you're on a budget you can probably get away with not doing so being proactive at 120k. Did mine on jack stands, with an engine lift and pulled the engine/trans out. If you do it that way it's not bad at all. If you're trying to drop the subframe or do it in the engine bay..... I wouldn't.
Here's an interesting way to replace a clutch. @Saving4aTL utilized the “Brotha” technique, on his Rotrex TL shown in the video below:

Old 06-11-2020, 06:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Easy as pie. Like all my work, done solo.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finished installing my clutch before fully understanding what was discussed here. Does this look correct for an installed clutch? I did not check if it was preloaded in the box.
Edited to add: from what I gather it’s supposed to spring out a certain amount when it is installed?

Thanks guys

Last edited by 04TLazine; 09-05-2023 at 08:29 PM.