Loud hissing after j-pipe install.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
After you guys get tired of the hiss, put the car on the lift and line up them flanges

Remember since the pipe now has some miles on it there will be a tiny bit more flex at the section well that's supposed to flex
stillhere153 did my install no hiss he knows what he is talking about
Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

stagger your wheels not ur flanges
Old 11-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So i ordered my rv-6 jpipe test pipe, he shipped it out the same day i payed for it and it arrived at my door the next day those bolts are on there hard, i had to get a breaker bar to get them off, and my car is only a year old and has never seen snow. Besides that installation went pretty good. When i removed the original pipe there was a ring of rust (just a little bit) where the old jpipe met the precats, so i used sand cloth to knock that down to make it smooth.

After install i took it for a test run and noticed at WOT mine also has a hiss, but if i drove it in manual i could get upto 5k rpm and it wouldnt hiss, only when i put the pedal all the way down. i dont think it sounds to bad at all, it sounds like my roush supercharger but quieter. I know everything was lined up properly and i know i tighten down everything tight, cuz i even snugged it up with my breaker bar. Dunno why we are having this hissing problem,but the sound seems to be coming from the jpipe and not the 3rd cat delete.

Like i said maybe in time it will go away but for now i dont mind

Last edited by Lazer187; 11-11-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Okay guys here is the plan for those who dislike the hiss.

1. I am going to test a jpipe on my car and see if i can replicate the results.
2. Lets wait and see if this gets better like the precat deletes sometimes the noise just goes away after stuff wears in.
3. If the noise is permanent I will have the flex pipe replaced to see if the fixes things. I did some research and sometimes flex pipes can cause hissing.

Lets try this for now I am not satisfied until you are.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Richie v6

2. Lets wait and see if this gets better like the precat deletes sometimes the noise just goes away after stuff wears in.
3. If the noise is permanent I will have the flex pipe replaced to see if the fixes things. I did some research and sometimes flex pipes can cause hissing.

Kool no problem Richie we will let u kno
Old 11-12-2008, 08:50 AM
"Like None Other"

Originally Posted by Richie v6

Now thats what you call SUPERB customer service!!....we shall efintely keep you abreast on the situation
Old 11-12-2008, 09:16 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ He said breast

Sorry I love Family Guy.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like anyone can reproduce this hissing noise when the car isn't in motion. If I'm wrong, please correct me and post a sound clip of it.

I spoke to Richie last night about this and are pretty sure its the flex portion causing the issues. Since the flanges are smooth and the supplied gaskets are all new, the sound shouldn't be coming from there.

If there's anyone out there who is knowledgeable enough (or happens to have the time) to help troubleshoot this, I'm sure Richie will appreciate it!!

The last thing we want is for him to go broke over this and stop making parts for the TL right??
Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 AM
"Like None Other"

^^^ you are right! when i first got it done, i could hear the hissing lightly while being still. However, it stopped doing it (while sitting still) for some reason. BUT, the sound is still there while driving and increasing position past the 3/4 mark like others have said. in my 6spd i get this noise in every gear except 6th.....so say it is the flex portion....how does he plan on fixing this??

BTW: in no way or shape am i discouraged about this...the gains are still there and so is the fit and finish! still a GREAT product....cant wait for the front strutbar
Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by djbonsu
^^^ you are right! When i first got it done, i could hear the hissing lightly while being still. However, it stopped doing it (while sitting still) for some reason. But, the sound is still there while driving and increasing position past the 3/4 mark like others have said. In my 6spd i get this noise in every gear except 6th.....so say it is the flex portion....how does he plan on fixing this??

Btw: In no way or shape am i discouraged about this...the gains are still there and so is the fit and finish! Still a great product....cant wait for the front strutbar
+1!!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
A lot of the 2nd gen CL/TL members have a hissing with the XS Power headers and it is due to the flex pipe. The hissing is not going to hurt anything but sometimes a different style or upgraded flex pipe is needed to eliminate that sound.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 AM
zaino'd

^ Thanks Josh. Good to have you back
Old 11-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
If there is no leak around the gaskets, and all the flanges are seated it can come down to the flex pipe or the design of the merge. Usually it's the flex pipe that's at fault and stems from the internal design of the flex pipe which causes the leaking sound.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Now that this thread has made me paranoid about the hissing coming from the J-pipe and Test pipe I have been driving around for the past couple of days trying to listen for ANY type of hissing coming from the car and I cannot hear anything.

I even went so far as to have ask someone driving next to me if they can hear anything when I go WOT and even they can't hear anything. I drove on the freeway and went 3/4 throttle and nothing. There hasn't been anyone else on the other site hearing anything, I wonder why it just is happening here?

I have jacked the car up a few times now with it running and my wife inside giving it throttle while I am checking the flex pipe for any type of leakage and still nothing. It's seems really weird to me.

ifirahse and RBP_04TL: Has the sound gone away, or is it still there?

Last edited by OTSB708; 11-12-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Excelerate
A lot of the 2nd gen CL/TL members have a hissing with the XS Power headers and it is due to the flex pipe. The hissing is not going to hurt anything but sometimes a different style or upgraded flex pipe is needed to eliminate that sound.

Originally Posted by aznbo187
If there is no leak around the gaskets, and all the flanges are seated it can come down to the flex pipe or the design of the merge. Usually it's the flex pipe that's at fault and stems from the internal design of the flex pipe which causes the leaking sound.
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to check and see if they used different flex pipes on this lot. Hopefully its a easy fix and everyone can gets what the want.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by OTSB708
Now that this thread has made me paranoid about the hissing coming from the J-pipe and Test pipe I have been driving around for the past couple of days trying to listen for ANY type of hissing coming from the car and I cannot hear anything.

I even went so far as to have ask someone driving next to me if they can hear anything when I go WOT and even they can't hear anything. I drove on the freeway and went 3/4 throttle and nothing. There hasn't been anyone else on the other site hearing anything, I wonder why it just is happening here?

I have jacked the car up a few times now with it running and my wife inside giving it throttle while I am checking the flex pipe for any type of leakage and still nothing. It's seems really weird to me.

I wouldn't worry too much if you can't hear it.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by OTSB708

still there... lets c wat happens dis comin up weekend... since thats when i press my accelerator the most (WOT) ill def let u kno
Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Pro

ill take my camera in the car today here in a little bit and try to see if it will pick up the hissing.... will post the video clip here today (hopefully)
Old 11-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Advanced

hissing sound

well i receive my pipe on the 4th,had them installed the next day.tested the unit for leaks,everything check ok.i notice when i'm driving, hit the rpm pass 5000,i heard the hissing noise.i was like wtf.......is that normal.i called richv6 and ask him.he said give it acouple of days to see if the hissing goes away.let the carbon build up.i put 2268mi in 1week.notice the hissing sound still there,but not aloud as the first day its was install.oh by the way the gasket are not stagger,clean off the surface.it sound sex i must say.lol
Old 11-12-2008, 08:28 PM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Got the same problem with the deletes, hiss on acceleration, just can't get rid of it. So annoying...

I believe it's the flex pipe making the noise too. Maybe just a bad batch

Richie, it would be great if you could include new gaskets on the j-pipe end of the deletes as well and some install instructions with bolt torque numbers, not everyone has a repair manual.

Thanks for working on this problem, making a great product better
Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Pro

Well i took a video/sound footage unfountently you cant hear the hiss in the video but it was happening in the car Everytime around 4+k RPM. I took this video with my sony dsc-w80 digital cam... watch the accerlation at 1:34 I have other videos uploaded with my Roush mustang, feel free to check those out to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVFQHyfIGcc
Old 11-13-2008, 01:01 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hisssssssssssssssssssssss .....

This is getting a little disconcerting ... my J-pipe/test pipe are arriving today and I damn sure don't want a hissing exhaust May hold off on installing the system until things get sorted out first. There's a few too many peeps with the same issue for it to be random?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:17 PM
zaino'd

^ I think theres a general consensus that this is not random. A small batch of J pipes have different flex pipes than all the other R-V6 J pipes that have been sold.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:19 PM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by ACTROS
Got the same problem with the deletes, hiss on acceleration, just can't get rid of it. So annoying...

I believe it's the flex pipe making the noise too. Maybe just a bad batch
I think my precat deletes are from the same batch as yours and I don't have any hissing noises. Maybe I just can't hear it with my CAI roaring. I assume you've checked all your flanged etc. Hmmmm
Old 11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
邵樂百

Originally Posted by jmkiang
^ I think theres a general consensus that this is not random. A small batch of J pipes have different flex pipes than all the other R-V6 J pipes that have been sold.
Well my exhaust just arrived ... hopefully we'll get a definitive answer on which batch have the bad flex pipes. I'm in a holding pattern until I know Besides this issue, the pipe construction and quality is top notch; outstanding welds at all joints and good finish work at the flange joints. This exhaust seems very well constructed
Old 11-13-2008, 01:39 PM
"Like None Other"

^^...IT IS very well constructed nonetheless...u should go ahead and just slap em on there....they come right out pretty easy..
Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 PM
zaino'd

When was your package shipped? That'll help narrow down the batch
Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 PM
"Like None Other"

ANYBODY with a stock exhaust setup like me noticing any power gains?? just curious...
Old 11-13-2008, 01:47 PM
zaino'd

I did. Much more low end tq.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:52 PM
My baby's ride...

I got mine yesterday as well. Nice and shiny but cut my finger on a stub/edge near the flex pipe that wasn't filed/sanded down properly.
There was one part where it felt like the edge of a can after it was opened with a can opener. Odd.

It seems the hissing is from the last batch (which I got). Hoping to install this weekend.

If the flex pipe is the issue...can it be swapped out? Anybody know?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:58 PM
邵樂百

When was your package shipped? That'll help narrow down the batch
Order shipped 11/07/2008 ...

WTF JM ... you on the Rv6 payroll now or what??? Official "tester"
Old 11-13-2008, 01:58 PM
"Like None Other"

I did. Much more low end tq.

thats what i was thinking but all these wet roads and rain lately got my tires spinnin like crazy...lol

any news on the dyno?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:04 PM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by luckyAKAhappy
I got mine yesterday as well. Nice and shiny but cut my finger on a stub/edge near the flex pipe that wasn't filed/sanded down properly.
There was one part where it felt like the edge of a can after it was opened with a can opener. Odd.

It seems the hissing is from the last batch (which I got). Hoping to install this weekend.

If the flex pipe is the issue...can it be swapped out? Anybody know?
That you will have to ask Richie about.

The flex pipe is welded... so to swap it out, it'll need to be cut out and a new one will have to be welded in. PITA but I'm sure Richie will figure something out.
Originally Posted by firstacuratl
Order shipped 11/07/2008 ...

WTF JM ... you on the Rv6 payroll now or what??? Official "tester"
Dude, PM him and tell him to pay me!!!
I'm pretty sure you got a J pipe from the "bad" batch. I'll let Richie chime in when he reads this.
Originally Posted by djbonsu
thats what i was thinking but all these wet roads and rain lately got my tires spinnin like crazy...lol

any news on the dyno?
Dunno yet. I'll keep you posted. Do you have plans on Saturday?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:23 PM
"Like None Other"

Dunno yet. I'll keep you posted. Do you have plans on Saturday?
no plans really...just showing my house @ 3p to possible tenants..
Old 11-13-2008, 02:35 PM
邵樂百

Question After close examination of the flex pipe ...

Here's a couple pics of my flex pipe section of the J-pipe assembly. The only thing "off" that I can see is the gap between the flex pipe and mating flange cup. Besides that, everything looks to be in order ... is this the possible culprit to the hissing? Keep in mind this outer area of the flex pipe has no exhaust sealing properties ... the inner tube of the flex pipe is actually what is sealing. This question will have to be answered by Richie ...

Entry side of flex pipe ... nice tight seal to the "cup" joint

Exit side of flex pipe ... 2-3mm gap between flex pipe and the "cup" joint

Full shot of flex pipe mating surfaces
Old 11-13-2008, 02:42 PM
My baby's ride...

^^ yeah...the exit side is where I cut my finger. From that when I was running my hand over.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 PM
邵樂百

Originally Posted by luckyAKAhappy
^^ yeah...the exit side is where I cut my finger. From that when I was running my hand over.
Yup ... it's sharp as shit from a few burrs left on the cut edge ... nothing a little file won't cure so you don't bleed out during install
Old 11-13-2008, 02:51 PM
zaino'd

Maybe someone should try seal welding that up to see if the hissing goes away...

A little MIG action and you should be fine.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:58 PM
邵樂百

Maybe someone should try seal welding that up to see if the hissing goes away...

A little MIG action and you should be fine.
If you're talking about the gap on the exit side, NO WAY you're welding that. Stainless braid on the outer flex pipe will not weld to the cup flange ... 2 different heat ranges. Besides, I'm still not sure that the area in question is the real problem ... it just doesn't make sense if the inner section of the flex pipe is sealed properly to the mating surface of the exhaust piping? The hissing still sounds like an exhaust leak of some kind but I haven't heard it in person so
Old 11-13-2008, 03:19 PM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by firstacuratl
Yup ... it's sharp as shit from a few burrs left on the cut edge ... nothing a little file won't cure so you don't bleed out during install
burrs. that's what you call it.

I have to take a file to that sucker.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:38 PM
"Like None Other"

The hissing sound is not a leak of any kind IMO....i was under my car with it running and couldnt see or feel any exhaust leaks at all....but then again those are just my observations..

Quick Reply: Loud hissing after j-pipe install.