J37a2 build has begun for my '07 TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 01:19 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by screaminz28
To address ONLY the bold section -

No, you aren't. REGARDLESS of your feeling of Robert's actions in this thread, YOU can never claim to be humble. In fact, based on your post count and typical responses in many threads, I'd say you either don't know what humble means, or you THINK it means proud.

You want, NO, EXPECT deference in every thread you post in.

This thread has devolved continuously, and while Robert did in fact take offense at first, he realized you were trying to help, and apologized. That wasn't enough for ole ye Almighty. Remember when I said to just take comfort in what you know, and if people won't listen, just don't worry and let them make their own mistakes? That humble attitude just ain't working for ya, is it?

The fact that you have some vendetta against Robert for what you feel is an egregious error that ultimately had no negative consequences for the customer, (He gave him his brand new shortblock, remember?), yet you say Paul isn't that bad because at least he gave Frosty some money back after a totally crap install of broken parts and its sad because Paul is a smart guy, shows that you value intelligence over character.

You can say all you want that you are humble, but it will never be believed. Do I think you are smart, and know your stuff? Sure. Does that make up for your holier than thou attitude (someone that is humble wouldn't have a holier than thou attitude) in every case? Far from it.
This thread is really amusing. IHC can definitely be hard headed at times, but he admits when he's wrong (*cough*IB*ahem* ). You claim he's the one not being humble, yet he's admitted his own faults (making rookie mistakes) for sake of opening up the conversation. Then you have Robert making statements like this: knock this rookie crap out of the discussion please. And bring some meat to the table next time you decide to sit down and eat...

We won't even go over his self-proclaimed title as an electrical expert. Although now it appears he's a j-series addict.

Robert seems to think a discussion is below him. He calls everyone a rookie.. and although he doesn't owe an explanation to anyone. It seems his avoidance to engage in a discussion is running away from the discussion. If he spent more time being open and less time taking offense, we wouldn't have any bs in here.

The internet can be polarizing, but if you go back, you'll see that starting a fight was not IHC's intent. He started a discussion, for sake of saving a good block, and all we received was Robert's responses of you're not worthy.. and some confusion over cam timing and ignition timing.

And can I say.. it's a little hilarious to hear Robert talk about his builds, saying he's never had a failure. Yet his comment about throwing a rod must have been someone else's fault. Sure, maybe he was testing to the point of failure.. or meant that no one else he's built an engine for has failed.. but if an engine you built failed, don't go around saying none of them did, when in fact you admitted to it.

I find this all laughable because the thread was started by OP who wants his car to be built to drive 300k reliably to save him some coin while he's in school, and you have Robert saying go big or go home. Then the OP is like, Robert is doing this for FREE! But aren't you giving him a Mustang GT in return? Maybe I misunderstood.

Finally.. a stock J with the right maintenance would have gone those miles.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
This thread is really amusing. IHC can definitely be hard headed at times, but he admits when he's wrong (*cough*IB*ahem* ). You claim he's the one not being humble, yet he's admitted his own faults (making rookie mistakes) for sake of opening up the conversation. Then you have Robert making statements like this: knock this rookie crap out of the discussion please. And bring some meat to the table next time you decide to sit down and eat...

We won't even go over his self-proclaimed title as an electrical expert. Although now it appears he's a j-series addict.

Robert seems to think a discussion is below him. He calls everyone a rookie.. and although he doesn't owe an explanation to anyone. It seems his avoidance to engage in a discussion is running away from the discussion. If he spent more time being open and less time taking offense, we wouldn't have any bs in here.

The internet can be polarizing, but if you go back, you'll see that starting a fight was not IHC's intent. He started a discussion, for sake of saving a good block, and all we received was Robert's responses of you're not worthy.. and some confusion over cam timing and ignition timing.

And can I say.. it's a little hilarious to hear Robert talk about his builds, saying he's never had a failure. Yet his comment about throwing a rod must have been someone else's fault. Sure, maybe he was testing to the point of failure.. or meant that no one else he's built an engine for has failed.. but if an engine you built failed, don't go around saying none of them did, when in fact you admitted to it.

I find this all laughable because the thread was started by OP who wants his car to be built to drive 300k reliably to save him some coin while he's in school, and you have Robert saying go big or go home. Then the OP is like, Robert is doing this for FREE! But aren't you giving him a Mustang GT in return? Maybe I misunderstood.

Finally.. a stock J with the right maintenance would have gone those miles.
If Matt is so humble, why does he have to point out how humble he is,? I think he confused the term with what he really meant - hubris. Also, if you review the thread, I was the first to point out to Robert that Matt was trying to help (I guess I learned my lesson on that). Robert then said yes, he realized he took it the wrong way.

The problem is, now it is shown that Matt had no desire to truly assist, and aid in potentially salvaging the block. Rather, his true colors of showing how much 'smarter' and how much more 'real world experience' he has and how Robert doesn't know anything. There are differing skill sets within the automotive realm. Matt has built engines with toothpicks for rods, banana peels for bearings, and they STILL make 1200 HP reliably, so we KNOW he is an engine builder. In fact, he probably taught Larry Widmer everything he knows.

My friend owns an independent auto repair shop, and his diagnosis and repair skills are second to none hands down. Be it gas or diesel, he has seen it all and done it all for years. Is his skill set in specialized engine shortblock machining and assembly? No. He doesn't build motors, simple as that. Can he? Sure, he's done it, but it's merely not what he does day in and day out.

Since we now know that Matt has sailed the seven seas with Kenny Duttweiler, learned drag racing from John Force, ported cylinder heads wit Robert Yates, and designed turbos with Corky Bell, thanks to his constant informing us of such, he expects deference on any topic he posts about.

Let's say Robert DID make a mistake with the block? OK, fine. He still didn't screw over his customer. Also, while Matt may have general automotive theory down pat, which is nothing to sneeze at, when I'm working on something and need assistance or have a question, it is EXTREMELY helpful to have someone that has REAL WORLD experience with the same parts. I'd take Robert's assistance any day, for two reasons.

1. He has a lot more J series experience. Yes, an engine is an engine, and I'm sure Matt will let us know how simple the J series is to work on again, but everything has its idiosyncrasies. If I were building a turbo Buick engine, or working on one, I'd look to Matt since that is where his experience lies.

2. He's truly more humble than Matt. Is he a J series addict? No doubt. Is he an auto electrical expert? I believe he owns his own business doing just that. While any asshat can hang their shingle in the U.S., typically the true experts succeed and the tools disappear into the night. I've seen the results of things Robert has done, and he knows his stuff. He's also merely shares his results with everyone here, not bragging about it, and offers assistance to those in need.

I've yet to find a thread where he has come in and tried to shut down the conversation and yet again prove how much he knows and how little everyone else does.
The following users liked this post:
nfnsquared (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=I hate cars;15179120There are glaring mistakes, the guy doesn't know the difference in ignition and cam timing.[/QUOTE]

To address this - my initial inclination was that they were confused, but it should be noted that while the J series doesn't have I-VTEC, the K series does. For those that are more familiar with cam in block engines and pushrods, these engines have VTC or variable timing control, or cam phasing.

This could in fact compensate for slight differences in cam alignment. Ideally cam gears would work for us, but since Robert is familiar with Hondas in general, I could see him thinking we could control that. There's a LOT of things that our engines don't have or do that would be expected, and there are a LOT of J series engines. To confuse matters more, some of the J engines are labeled as I-VTEC, but only for their cylinder deactivation, I don't believe they do active cam phasing.

Oh snap - even newer LS engines have VARIABLE CAM TIMING. ZOMG - SO DOES THE NEWER BUICK REGAL GS TURBO. Damn, things have changed in 30 years it appears.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by screaminz28
If Matt is so humble, why does he have to point out how humble he is,? I think he confused the term with what he really meant - hubris. Also, if you review the thread, I was the first to point out to Robert that Matt was trying to help (I guess I learned my lesson on that). Robert then said yes, he realized he took it the wrong way.

The problem is, now it is shown that Matt had no desire to truly assist, and aid in potentially salvaging the block. Rather, his true colors of showing how much 'smarter' and how much more 'real world experience' he has and how Robert doesn't know anything. There are differing skill sets within the automotive realm. Matt has built engines with toothpicks for rods, banana peels for bearings, and they STILL make 1200 HP reliably, so we KNOW he is an engine builder. In fact, he probably taught Larry Widmer everything he knows.

My friend owns an independent auto repair shop, and his diagnosis and repair skills are second to none hands down. Be it gas or diesel, he has seen it all and done it all for years. Is his skill set in specialized engine shortblock machining and assembly? No. He doesn't build motors, simple as that. Can he? Sure, he's done it, but it's merely not what he does day in and day out.

Since we now know that Matt has sailed the seven seas with Kenny Duttweiler, learned drag racing from John Force, ported cylinder heads wit Robert Yates, and designed turbos with Corky Bell, thanks to his constant informing us of such, he expects deference on any topic he posts about.

Let's say Robert DID make a mistake with the block? OK, fine. He still didn't screw over his customer. Also, while Matt may have general automotive theory down pat, which is nothing to sneeze at, when I'm working on something and need assistance or have a question, it is EXTREMELY helpful to have someone that has REAL WORLD experience with the same parts. I'd take Robert's assistance any day, for two reasons.

1. He has a lot more J series experience. Yes, an engine is an engine, and I'm sure Matt will let us know how simple the J series is to work on again, but everything has its idiosyncrasies. If I were building a turbo Buick engine, or working on one, I'd look to Matt since that is where his experience lies.

2. He's truly more humble than Matt. Is he a J series addict? No doubt. Is he an auto electrical expert? I believe he owns his own business doing just that. While any asshat can hang their shingle in the U.S., typically the true experts succeed and the tools disappear into the night. I've seen the results of things Robert has done, and he knows his stuff. He's also merely shares his results with everyone here, not bragging about it, and offers assistance to those in need.

I've yet to find a thread where he has come in and tried to shut down the conversation and yet again prove how much he knows and how little everyone else does.

Is it hubris? or credibility? He didn't start the conversation with.. I know so and so.. been building engines since you were in you daddy's nut sack. He clearly tried to not provoke an emotional response. He even suggested that he shouldn't have questioned some methods so as not to ruffle feathers.

IHC posted this:
I regret making that last post, I have nothing against Yungone or anyone so I apologize in advance for whatever may come. I'm honestly just a tech nerd that has done a lot of experimenting and a lot of screw ups too. I believe Yungone is in no way trying to screw anyone or do a less than perfect job. I mainly just wanted to help, maybe PM would have been the best way.
Robert responded with this:
Lmao, you're getting out of control here!

I've never said the block was "ruined" to begin with.

...I feel like you may be the one in a pissing contest judging by your paragraphic breakdowns you keep posting on my responses.

And yes, I do ignore a lot of what you say because you fail to comprehend what I've been trying to explain from the get go.

I've built plenty of j-series to know the problem

You think I said that because someone I bought it from told me that and also because the aluminum was shiny? Seriously.

As for the ceramic coatings, dude really, wasting money? I do all the coatings on the motors I build in house so please save it and take it elsewhere.

Now that I've wasted a precious 10 minutes of my life responding to all your "helpful advice", I'd like to close by saying please resist the ever so tempting urge you may have to respond back to me.
Thread went to shit from there. I have no idea what your ties to Robert or Matt are, but there's obviously some history / bias here. Robert is truly more humble.. lol. Expert know-it-all.. humble indeed.

It's okay for Robert to spout off about he's done this, knows this, don't be a rookie.. but IHC barks back and he's the one being a jackass.

Maybe all of you need to eat some crow followed up by some humble pie. Plenty of smart and knowledgeable members in this thread. Sure Robert probably has much more experience with the J than most, but he's not the smartest cookie in the jar, I guarantee you that. Fucking rookie talk..
Old 10-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry, no ties to either of them here. The bias is merely what has been gleaned from posts over the last 7 years.

I guess my bias is that Matt can be a major dick, regardless of how smart he is. My bias is that Robert has a lot of J series experience, doesn't know everything, and may be a sensitive to criticism.

Neither one of them behaved properly, and while it appeared to be a dead issue, Matt can't just leave it alone. He should be content that he made his point, it fell on deaf ears, and let that be it. What is the consequence to Matt if Robert continues to throw out blocks that exhibit that issue? NOTHING. Don't have him build him his motor. Easy as that.
The following users liked this post:
nfnsquared (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 03:39 PM

Old 10-13-2014, 07:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
I am about to throw a chair up in here
Old 10-14-2014, 01:31 AM

Old 10-14-2014, 04:11 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can we let this thread go back to topic?

Some of us are here to read about great engine builds and not about the FB drama you too have on AZ forums...(IHC and yungone)

What's the status with the new block?
Are you now assembling the short block?
what kind of rods and pistons did you go with?
Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bdbconcepts
can we let this thread go back to topic?

Some of us are here to read about great engine builds and not about the FB drama you too have on AZ forums...(IHC and yungone)

What's the status with the new block?
Are you now assembling the short block?
what kind of rods and pistons did you go with?
Robert has a brand new fully assembled shortblock from Honda with all OEM components that he is using for the build. 3.5L, not 3.7 IIRC.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
go troll here. Thanks ;p

https://acurazine.com/forums/perform...-1-7-a-841554/