J35 12:1 heads/cam build, complete

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
^ i wouldn't say the same, since Paul doesn't bench each port to match flow. But its good for the money.

I had a local machine shop do my head and they did an A+ job with the valve job, hot tank, and gasket matching everything.
I'm sure he does a good job though from reading some of his threads looks like he has quite the shop in his garage and plenty of experience in these engines.

Just not feeling the price tag of king, not really any local shops I'd trust here in Hawaii.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:12 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by mzilvar
I'm sure he does a good job though from reading some of his threads looks like he has quite the shop in his garage and plenty of experience in these engines.

Just not feeling the price tag of king, not really any local shops I'd trust here in Hawaii.
my heads were done and installed by Paul and he also did my clutch too.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
No offense to Paul but there is a big difference in his corner shop and king motorsports, which is a shop that builds real race cars.

Paul does not bench test any of his work, whereas king bench tests all their work.

Paul does incomplete builds. King does way better welding, etc.

Paul does decent work but you get what you pay for. Paul does not dyno tune his builds. Most of his builds are running stock ecu.

Go take a look at the 2 tb manifold threads on v 6 p. He made the manifolds and sold them without proper r&d for 1200 and people have had issues and removed them.

Paul has very fair pricing. King has high prices but it is top notch work. For j series engine work I still think you are paying r&d costs. Would be cheaper on other Honda engines.

King quoted me 1500 for a roll bar and 1500 for exhaust. That is basically same prices more local shops are giving me also.

Last edited by brian6speed; 11-26-2013 at 07:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by brian6speed:
i_love_cars (11-26-2013), simione (05-12-2014)
Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
King wants a lot of money to port these heads, I got the 2500 quote from them as well and 2900 if they matched intake runners to the heads & IM gasket.

I got a much more reasonable quote of 600 + shipping from NVA-AV6 to have essentially the same work done by him. I know where I'll be sending them.
2500 is perfectly normal for a higher-end shop to port the heads on a V6. Go to any *reputable* shop and ask for head porting for sub-1k and you'll get laughed out of there, and for good reason. It's a precision job and not all port jobs are created equally. Beyond that, shops have employees to pay, leases to pay, insurance, etc. But part of that price also goes to the fact that with a reputable shop you're getting shit done right away and it's done right and you know it's done right, and if it isn't done right, you can fight it. When dealing with an individual for an under-the-table job, it becomes much more difficult.

That 2500 might also include valve cuts, not 100% sure on that though so don't quote me on it.

Paul can do it on the side for 600 bucks that's fine, and he helps a lot of people in this community and seems like a really good guy, so I'm not trying to sleight him, but he's not King Motorsports.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
i got mine for around 700 and this is their first v6 accord head. They mostly do muscle, but it was a full job (5 angle intake and exhuast, 2 angle back cut valves, PnP, gasket matching, PNP and gasket matched my runners, and Milling.) You will be surprise at the amount of time and quality a mom and pop shop that been around for 55+ years can do.

Only thing was missing was a bench flow, but I can live with that.

Also the reason it was considerably cheaper is that I dissembled the head myself, and put it all together myself. I had to buy a valve spring compressor and valve lapping tool. Also 200 dollars worth in new gasket and seal.

So I can see why King's charge as much as they do. Its a lot of labor

So if you are planning to do it have an extra 500 on the side for misc parts.

Last edited by thisaznboi88; 11-26-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

i got mine for around 700 and this is their first v6 accord head. They mostly do muscle, but it was a full job (5 angle intake and exhuast, 2 angle back cut valves, PnP, gasket matching, PNP and gasket matched my runners, and Milling.) You will be surprise at the amount of time and quality a mom and pop shop that been around for 55+ years can do.

Only thing was missing was a bench flow, but I can live with that.

Also the reason it was considerably cheaper is that I dissembled the head myself, and put it all together myself. I had to buy a valve spring compressor and valve lapping tool. Also 200 dollars worth in new gasket and seal.

So I can see why King's charge as much as they do. Its a lot of labor

So if you are planning to do it have an extra 500 on the side for misc parts.
that's right, labor is a big part of it. $75/hr adds up quick when you're disassembling and reassembling heads.

There are some good mom & pop shops around but it's pretty much undeniable that the performance industry is full of machine shops that do shoddy work and rip people off. It's very hard to find good, reputable shops. It's an odds game that is against you from the get-go.

I lean on King because of their reputation of A) knowing exactly what they're doing, and B) making sure i is dotted and every t is crossed. It costs more, but I sleep easier at night because I've spent 15 years listening to horror stories of people getting shoddy work from shady mom & pop shops.
The following users liked this post:
thisaznboi88 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I can definitely understand that perspective. The $2500 does include a competition valve job, which should be a 3 angle valve job.

I still think they overcharge, but that may be just my opinion, I can give an example though.

They wanted $400 to port match an old set of runners I have (I really don't need this though since I have P2R runners in the car). Whereas P2R was selling PNP runners for $380 and change that were brand new parts they purchased and did the PNP work to on their machines and lined up perfectly with my gaskets when I installed them.

$380 - $166 = $214 for the PNP job from P2R.

King = you provide runners and pay $400.

I suppose with their reputation they can charge more.

I might look around a little more, see if Abbott's Superflow will take them. Website shows around $1300 for..

Cylinder Heads, Fully Ported & Polished Intake & Exhaust, Unshroud Combustion Chambers around Intake and Exhaust Valve and Polish Combustion Chamber, and then we CC all Combustion Chambers for equal Combustion Chamber Volume. Includes Cleaning, Resurfacing and reassembling and a Competition 3 Angle Valve Job.

I'll see if they'll take these in, my heads landed on my doorstep today.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
And you won't have to wait 5 months to get something you payed for plus threatening legal action.

I'd go with a high end shop.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ilovemyvtx
And you won't have to wait 5 months to get something you payed for plus threatening legal action.

I'd go with a high end shop.
Possibly haha, I'm going to shop around a bit and compare.. I'm in no rush, looks like there are quite a few places, see what I can find.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

I can definitely understand that perspective. The $2500 does include a competition valve job, which should be a 3 angle valve job.

I still think they overcharge, but that may be just my opinion, I can give an example though.

They wanted $400 to port match an old set of runners I have (I really don't need this though since I have P2R runners in the car). Whereas P2R was selling PNP runners for $380 and change that were brand new parts they purchased and did the PNP work to on their machines and lined up perfectly with my gaskets when I installed them.

$380 - $166 = $214 for the PNP job from P2R.

King = you provide runners and pay $400.

I suppose with their reputation they can charge more.

I might look around a little more, see if Abbott's Superflow will take them. Website shows around $1300 for..

Cylinder Heads, Fully Ported & Polished Intake & Exhaust, Unshroud Combustion Chambers around Intake and Exhaust Valve and Polish Combustion Chamber, and then we CC all Combustion Chambers for equal Combustion Chamber Volume. Includes Cleaning, Resurfacing and reassembling and a Competition 3 Angle Valve Job.

I'll see if they'll take these in, my heads landed on my doorstep today.
yep and King outsources the valve job to C&S Performance which is another local shop in our area. They are also a high-end engine building shop, but are focused more on American muscle cars. King doesn't have the equipment to cut the valves so they work with C&S. All quality work, though. I bought my 347 stroker kit for my '67 Mustang from them back when I was 18. Great guys at C&S.

King doesn't overcharge - I think you are doing the smart thing by just getting P2R pnp runners but you have to understand King does a lot of custom stuff. Why would anyone go to a shop to have them machine something you can buy off the shelf that's basically a production line item, like the p2r runners? Of course it's gonna cost more than P2R because King is going to do the labor as a one-off at an hourly rate. That's not overcharging, that's just what you pay for custom work compared to an off-the-shelf product like what P2R offers for the runners.

Again, the smart move is to use the P2R runners - there's no sense paying King for that, I agree with you. Just saying it's not a matter of overcharging.

I have to also remind people that Mike L. is an awesome service manager at King. He caught a bunch of flak from the owner for knocking the better part of 4k off my total bill for my engine build. I helped them out by paying with cash instead of credit so they wouldn't have to pay a CC fee for such a high dollar amount, but even still, they ate a good chunk of labor on my build. They recognized how long we spent on R&D, they also recognized the results were not ideal, and they comp'd me as best they could while still running a business.
thisaznboi88 (11-27-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Gotta love shops that don't mess around. I have only found a few in the last 10 years.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 AM
Burning Brakes

I found a couple other shops, DPR racing and pure tuning.

Right now I'm leaning towards pure-tuning's spec c package for the heads, it's about $2k and includes the base and final bench flow tests, I'm already in contact with them. Also considering their spec b which is about $1k less, I could probably get them to add flow tests as well to the spec b. I'm thinking I'll probably be good with the spec b, I'm not going to run any crazy big cams.

Anyone have experience with either? Lol .. it is pretty expensive after all.. I'm considering sending the cams in to be re-ground now as well, nothing crazy I'm thinking bisi stage 1s so I can still hopefully get by emissions and stay on stock springs/retainers .. already contacted bisi with some questions as well about the valvetrain.

In the end I think my tab is going to run from $3k - $6k, depending on what I decide on and leave me with a set of complete heads and cams (my old ones) that I can sell. Still puts it right in the range of a S/C doing the install labor myself.

I'm hoping my gains might be similar, obviously not going to be though (no FP and no bump in CR), I still don't have a tuning solution though so I'll be on stock ECM and I'm coming from 35mm intake/30mm exhaust valves so the 36/30 in/exh and higher flow of the new heads are already a gain for me.

Last edited by mzilvar; 12-02-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Safety Car

get larger exhaust. the intake is perfect the way it is. The exhaust valve are tiny. Check out KMS for their package deal on dual valve spring, retainers, block guard, and full set of valve. its like 800 bucks.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I found a couple other shops, DPR racing and pure tuning.

Right now I'm leaning towards pure-tuning's spec c package for the heads, it's about $2k and includes the base and final bench flow tests, I'm already in contact with them. Also considering their spec b which is about $1k less, I could probably get them to add flow tests as well to the spec b. I'm thinking I'll probably be good with the spec b, I'm not going to run any crazy big cams.

Anyone have experience with either? Lol .. it is pretty expensive after all.. I'm considering sending the cams in to be re-ground now as well, nothing crazy I'm thinking bisi stage 1s so I can still hopefully get by emissions and stay on stock springs/retainers .. already contacted bisi with some questions as well about the valvetrain.

In the end I think my tab is going to run from $3k - $6k, depending on what I decide on and leave me with a set of complete heads and cams (my old ones) that I can sell. Still puts it right in the range of a S/C doing the install labor myself.

I'm hoping my gains might be similar, obviously not going to be though (no FP and no bump in CR), I still don't have a tuning solution though so I'll be on stock ECM and I'm coming from 35mm intake/30mm exhaust valves so the 36/30 in/exh and higher flow of the new heads are already a gain for me.
The gains from porting J35 heads aren't worth a ton, so when we talk about "similar gains" or whatever, it's all relative because we're typically talking about differences of single digit horsepower, when it comes to whether it's 12:1 compression with ported heads, or just ported heads on stock 11:1 compression.

You're never ever going to see monstrous gains from porting j35 heads and raising compression.

The cam is everything at that point, and that's where the main source of the gains is going to be. The cam can be tricky. I know guys with builds on their cars that go through 5 cams before getting it right. What I can say for sure is that a Bisi regrind, which is just being outsourced to Webcams, isn't going to get you much.

We've still got a ways to go on cams for the TL. They are out there, but there isn't enough R&D nor empirical data from a large pool of installed cams, whether regrinds or custom cut from blanks, to say one way or another what is best.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
We've still got a ways to go on cams for the TL. They are out there, but there isn't enough R&D nor empirical data from a large pool of installed cams, whether regrinds or custom cut from blanks, to say one way or another what is best.
I know you ended up going with stage 3 custom web re-grinds, what did your cam profile end up like for valve lift & duration wise?

- disregard saw your pictures looks like its

220 degrees @ .050" with .43-.44" max lift on exhaust and
247 degrees @ .050" with .45" max lift on the intake

Is that right?

Last edited by mzilvar; 12-02-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Safety Car

how much did the regrind cost directly from web?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

looks like I read it wrong, maybe about 230 on the exhaust duration actually

lol, two of us looking at regrinds now
Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Burning Brakes

how much did the regrind cost directly from web?
i don't know what it ended up costing me because there was a bunch of shit in motion from how much they comp'd me, a couple of free sets of cams, etc. etc. but under normal circumstances I recall King telling me it's a $600 regrind.

looks like I read it wrong, maybe about 230 on the exhaust duration actually

lol, two of us looking at regrinds now
Lift: Intake - .448, Exhaust - .428
Duration: Intake - .247, Exhaust - .230
thisaznboi88 (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

damn I was hoping for 300 for regrinds. lol

DAMN IT DELTA why you no regrind my camshaft for 300.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 PM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
Sick write up. Op y r u selling your s.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kingkong_dav
Sick write up. Op y r u selling your s.
stockpiling cash for building a house in 2015, hopefully.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I have learned a ton from reading this thread. Thanks, ILC
The following 2 users liked this post by simione:
i_love_cars (05-13-2014), Sonnick (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 03:45 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
I wonder how 260-270 duration cams would run on the J.........
Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick
I wonder how 260-270 duration cams would run on the J.........
my 297in/277ex @ .050 did very good. 325whp on the 11.5:1 effective CR (decked) j32a3 heads mentioned by the OP and 475whp when placed in j32a2 non decked (11:1CR) heads placed on a j35a8 stock shortblock on 9lbs of boost in my Rotrex C38-92 build with DTBs. Did excellent on boost.
The following 3 users liked this post by gerzand:
Atlas.46 (05-14-2014), flexer (05-16-2014), Sonnick (05-15-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by gerzand
my 297in/277ex @ .050 did very good. 325whp on the 11.5:1 effective CR (decked) j32a3 heads mentioned by the OP and 475whp when placed in j32a2 non decked (11:1CR) heads placed on a j35a8 stock shortblock on 9lbs of boost in my Rotrex C38-92 build with DTBs. Did excellent on boost.

were those cams new cores or regrinds? I cant remember?? Also cant remember who made them or how much they cost...
Old 01-01-2019, 03:02 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cams

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
Finally getting around to posting something here. Been busy.

Over most of the summer I was working with King Motorsports Unlimited on building the top end of my J35a8. The car is finally done and back on the road, runs perfectly, and has cost me one F'ing pretty penny.

High Level Overview:
The goal - port j35a8 heads, mill them for 12:1 compression, and run a Stage 3 cam regrind
The budget - $10k, the actual final cost: $13,378 (includes $1500 to replace the head I blew out prior to starting the project, and the 105k maintenance) - technically you could call it $16,578 if you include the $3200 i spent on Gerz's heads

Build sheet: Attachment 48154

Additional engine mods list for reference:
atlp v2 catback
rv6 v3 pcd
rv6 v3 jpipe
custom intake
3.7 mani/tb
Bisimoto valve springs/retainers

Storytime and charts:

This all started back in January 2013, when I talked with Gerzand about doing a build and he suggested I buy his decked/ported J32a3 heads, valves, and intake runners. The idea being I would mimic his build and ditch my j35 heads, aside from the cam profile. I agreed with the caveat that the heads were still in his car and I would need to wait until late May/early June to receive them. I agreed to that as well, fronted him $3200, and eventually May came and I received my heads. Joy of joys. I planned on getting to work shortly after that but was moving at the time.

Well wouldn't you know it, on June 14th, I was taking a trip to Chicago and blew the spark plug out of one of my stock j35 heads. This was the start of the actual build and was both a blessing and a curse.

I took the car to King, along with the new j32a3 heads that I got from Gerzand, and put them to work. I had them flow the j32 heads, and CC them - Gerzand's shop told him they made 13.5 compression with 60 thou milled off. Well it was pretty disappointing to say the least as his shop had only actually milled 20 thou, and the heads were only making 11.5:1 - the porting on them was good as it matched a Type-S head, at least.

So the decision was made to scrap Gerzand's heads, call the $3200 an exploratory loss along with whatever money I spent on flowbenching and CC'ing everything, and to then invest in my J35 heads. King used my blown head for testing purposes and ported out the easy stuff on a cylinder and flowed it. The cfm gains were solid as expected, so I dropped 1500 bucks on a brand new j35 cylinder head to replace the one I blew out, and decided to pursue the route of porting J35 heads and milling them for more realistic compression - the target was 12:1

Things turned out nicely when the heads were done being ported - here is the flow chart from that:
Attachment 48155

Milling the heads was on hold until we got some cam regrinds in our hands. This is where the project started to go awry and added another month to the timeline. Bypassing Bisimoto and going straight to the source of the regrinds, Webcams, we dicked around with some specs and settled on a Stage 3 for a TL they had done in the past. When the cams came back, they were degree'd and it was found that the valve timing was way off between front and rear cams. Centerline was perfect on the front, but the rear was off. Webcams comp'd us another set of cams, reground again with the same results.

The following are charts produced from measuring the lift every 10 degrees on a full rotation of the crank, for both cams. You can clearly see where the timing is off:
Attachment 48156
Attachment 48157

The problem here was that it was determined there is some goofy lobe separation from the factory TL cams, so when you regrind - the bigger you go on the cam, the more pronounced the separation. You'd probably never notice until you were on a dyno. The car would still fire up and idle ok, although we found a bug in Flashpro's live-tuning tables that caused the car to go on the fritz that at first we attributed to the cams.

There's a bit more to it but the process of measuring everything and proving out that Webcams' regrinds were causing valve timing issues, degree'ing stock cams and a couple sets of regrinds, blah blah blah ended up costing roughly $4k just in labor. I probably chewed through $6k on the cams alone which was absurd.

The conclusion is that you can regrind the TL cams and it will run, however, with a big enough regrind, you will lose a shitload of power down low and have some odd behavior above 6400 rpm. With the regrind by itself, I lost 40 wtq at 2k and by 3k it was leveling out. Up top, there was a solid digger from the cam position and valve timing being fucked.

The solution here was to make some custom cuts on the cam gears themselves, to physically reposition the cams. This fixed the valve timing so it was only off by a couple degrees which is not a big deal, and resolved ALL of my power loss issues. With the cam gears in place, I was able to retain all of my low end torque from when I had stock cams. The dyno chart line is almost identical as you will see.

So anyways, in the midst of this the heads were being milled, and we hit a limit of 40 thou on j35a8 heads because the center cylinders were at their piston-to-valve clearance limit by that point. It was still enough to make 12:1 compression exactly, which I was happy with.

These are some other interesting notes that show in the bottom right the CC results for the compression on my stock J35 heads, Gerzand's j32a3 heads, and finally my decked j35 heads:
Attachment 48158

There were so many nights at the shop and phone calls over the course of the summer that I can't remember it all now - it's just a blur.

The final result is a very well-built, well-tuned J35 motor - make no mistake, the car sounds wicked and runs strong for what it is. Is it worth the money? Not that much - I think if there wasn't as much R&D needed, a project like this would cost half as much. As it stands, I was forced to sink a LOT more cash into it than I really wanted to. I actually got so fed up with everything that I whimsically went out and bought my BMW 135 (which I had honestly wanted to pick up for years anyway).

That said, King was meticulous and everything was done right. I was able to be there for a lot of what was going on, and interact with them on a regular basis, which was a very good experience in engine building. You pay a premium, but the end result will be a properly running engine. People definitely need to understand that engine building is a precision process, not a slap-it-together and hope it works type of thing.

My advice to anyone looking to get fully built NA power on the TL would be this: Stop. Go the other direction. Just go with boost instead. I'm about 75 whp over stock with everything I have done. You aren't going to see more gains over stock than me on NA unless you get lucky with a miracle cam. At this point the only thing I'm missing is a 3" dump in the exhaust. Anybody can run dyno charts that pump higher numbers, but at the end of the day it's about the gains from stock to now. How much MORE power are you making over stock? It's very important to keep that perspective if you are considering going full NA. There's a SHITLOAD of hearsay on the forums and people spouting off about 350-375 whp with absolutely nothing to back it up and no context to what baseline whp was. Don't get caught up in that bullshit.

With a perfect cam, I believe you could get another 15-20 whp - but still you will basically hit a ceiling even in that scenario around +100 whp over stock.

I'm beating a dead horse here a bit but please, I'm trying to legitimately warn you if you are interested in building an NA TL, keep your expectations realistic. If not, you will be sorely disappointed.

Future plans for the car are most likely to continue weight reduction hopefully south of 3200 pounds, replace the clutch master cylinder and ETD, and keep the mileage off as best I can. It's not a DD anymore and my 135i has taken that role for summer, and I will most likely pick up a 335xi for the Wisconsin winters.

Final dyno chart:
Attachment 48159
What cams is the blue line
Old 01-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelvin Williams
What cams is the blue line
See Reponse #7

The most recent dyno i had was from June 8th which is the line that is being compared in the dyno chart I posted above. That was 291/255 i think. Back in February I was at 295/258 or something - I'd give a +/- 5 margin of error on the dyno comparison here because the final line at 317/265 with cams/heads/tune was in August, and it was before my 4" intake. The car made 321 with the 4" intake mocked up, but we hadn't fabbed it yet for install in the car itself.

So, peak gains? Somewhere between 25-30 whp

While I would have liked to see +40 peak gains out of this project, I don't see any reason to pursue it further at this point. I'm pretty happy with how the car drives right now, not looking to get any more power out of it so I doubt I'll look at E85.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:14 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
See Reponse #7

The most recent dyno i had was from June 8th which is the line that is being compared in the dyno chart I posted above. That was 291/255 i think. Back in February I was at 295/258 or something - I'd give a +/- 5 margin of error on the dyno comparison here because the final line at 317/265 with cams/heads/tune was in August, and it was before my 4" intake. The car made 321 with the 4" intake mocked up, but we hadn't fabbed it yet for install in the car itself.

So, peak gains? Somewhere between 25-30 whp

While I would have liked to see +40 peak gains out of this project, I don't see any reason to pursue it further at this point. I'm pretty happy with how the car drives right now, not looking to get any more power out of it so I doubt I'll look at E85.
7 doesn't let me know what cams he was running before upgrading to the stsge3. Were they RL, type s or regular TL cams. Thanks
Old 01-07-2019, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
7 doesn't let me know what cams he was running before upgrading to the stsge3. Were they RL, type s or regular TL cams. Thanks
Tl Type-S
Old 01-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Late to the 3G Party

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
3.5 heads so most likely Type S. Fun fact: RL cams and TL-S cams are the same. Same specs. Acura even acknowledges that they're interchangeable.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:54 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mdnborg
3.5 heads so most likely Type S. Fun fact: RL cams and TL-S cams are the same. Same specs. Acura even acknowledges that they're interchangeable.
06-08 rl and type s share same cam 05 rl cam is different specs.
hondazex (02-21-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 07:57 AM
7th Gear

Here's my dyno.

https://youtu.be/-m3VDzbKWkY
Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Late to the 3G Party

06-08 rl and type s share same cam 05 rl cam is different specs.
All 05-08 RL cams are the same. 05 and only 05 has just has different part numbers.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:13 AM
7th Gear

All 05-08 RL cams are the same. 05 and only 05 has just has different part numbers.
Could be why they have different part numbers I cam analyzed both tls and 05 rl there were differences in the two.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Late to the 3G Party

Could be why they have different part numbers I cam analyzed both tls and 05 rl there were differences in the two.
I seem to be finding lots of conflicting info. According to the RL service manual the cam specs should be the same between 05-08. However I've also been told that the 05 motor made less power than the 06-08, which is why only 06-08's are used for full motor swaps. But youre saying the specs are different, which could back up the fact that the 05 motors made less power. If you check Acura's parts catalogue they now list the 06-08 RL cams as being interchangeable with the TL-S cams, but not 05.

Really not sure what is correct anymore.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:02 AM
7th Gear

I seem to be finding lots of conflicting info. According to the RL service manual the cam specs should be the same between 05-08. However I've also been told that the 05 motor made less power than the 06-08, which is why only 06-08's are used for full motor swaps. But youre saying the specs are different, which could back up the fact that the 05 motors made less power. If you check Acura's parts catalogue they now list the 06-08 RL cams as being interchangeable with the TL-S cams, but not 05.

Gotcha! I am from the dsm community. My eclipse makes 809whp, daily driven and I've been asked why are you fooling around with a Honda. Well I bought this car as another daily driver and got tired of these 370z owner's cockiness with my innocent Accord. So I decided to build it. I respect all of what has been in this community! I am working on trying to get some production billet cams for the j at the moment let see where it goes. I just got my custom cams back for the j I'll Dyno them here soon. I am glad to be here. Thanks. ILC great work. Let see what I can do with this plateform I do my own everything...
Old 01-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Remember that the way sae rated HP changed that's likely why the hp change Base 3.2 made 258hp and the 3.5 made 286 from the 05-08 rl as well as the 07-08 tls. Cams have the exact same profile. Weight is different I think the vtec profile may be a little different but by very little.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Gotcha! I am from the dsm community. My eclipse makes 809whp, daily driven and I've been asked why are you fooling around with a Honda. Well I bought this car as another daily driver and got tired of these 370z owner's cockiness with my innocent Accord. So I decided to build it. I respect all of what has been in this community! I am working on trying to get some production billet cams for the j at the moment let see where it goes. I just got my custom cams back for the j I'll Dyno them here soon. I am glad to be here. Thanks. ILC great work. Let see what I can do with this plateform I do my own everything...
Curious to your findings. Keeping an eye on your YouTube
Old 02-15-2019, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Won't be keeping an eye on your Youtube, but will be looking out for you around here. Hope to see some good content from you soon, this car is getting some good attention from a lot of diverse builders.