J-Pipe replacement only real legal exhaust HP upgrade possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Two 3G TL Baller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
J-Pipe replacement only real legal exhaust HP upgrade possible?

Please pardon the following noob performance questions. I've been focused on aesthetic mods up to this point.

Between the pre-cats, J-pipe, and 3rd cat, from what I can gather, you get the greatest HP gains by doing pre-cat deletes, but it's illegal and smelly. You can also get good HP gains by replacing 3rd cat with a test pipe, but that's also illegal. So does that mean out of these three things, the only real legal exhaust upgrade is the J-pipe? I've contemplated getting quad exhaust to replace base exhaust, but that would make possible Ron Jon aero kit upgrade difficult I believe (RJ rear bumper replacement meant for base exhaust, not quad).

For you guys who do the pre-cat deletes and test pipes and live in a large metro area, how do you pass the emissions testing every year (or every other year)? Do you have to temporarily replace them with the stock pre-cats and 3rd cat every time, just so you can pass the emissions test?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Two 3G TL Baller

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=149

FYI, I was getting my info from reading this outline ("An Outline Of The Converter Layout On J-Series Honda V6 Engines") on HeelToeAuto's website. I know he sells the various ATLP exhaust component upgrades, which many on Acurazine consider to be top notch.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
you will pass emissions inspections as long as your car isn't putting out an excessive amount of toxins. You can swap the exhaust system (ATLP Catback, Comptech, etc)

You can still get away if you modify the catalysts. You can replace the 3rd cat with a test pipe and put the shields back on, if the shop asks why the bolts have been touched you can say to fix an exhaust leak.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:32 PM
SpeedDemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or you can get high flow cat to replace third cat
Old 07-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
From my understanding, there is not much of a HP increase by replacing the 3rd cat with a test or race pipe. It helps when the rest of your exhaust is upgraded to increase the flow. Just getting a test pipe and nothing else will not increase hp, maybe by 1 or 2 hp at most.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Timb227
From my understanding, there is not much of a HP increase by replacing the 3rd cat with a test or race pipe. It helps when the rest of your exhaust is upgraded to increase the flow. Just getting a test pipe and nothing else will not increase hp, maybe by 1 or 2 hp at most.
Didn't someone get like 5-10 hp different? Just look at richie v3 it takes the 3rd cat totally out of the equation and makes a ton more power then the xlr8 and atlp j-pipe.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
^reread what timb just posted.

the upgraded jpipe gets rid of the 3rd cat by having longer primaries.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:27 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
w/ the richie v6 v3 jpipe, no emissions place would know lol
Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
then they look it up on the comp... lol 1 2 ....... 3?

Just tell them merlin needed to borrow your cat to battle the forces of evil ^^
Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Chapter Leader (Central Florida)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If your state does a visual inspection, then youll have to follow the above ideas, however if your state just does a OBD plug and go, youll be good as long as you dont have a CEL!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Two 3G TL Baller

^ The several states that I've lived in thus far usually just clamp a sniffer on the tail pipe, and don't bother looking under the car.

I take it from the responses that I can replace all three (pre-cats, J-pipe, and 3rd cat) with higher flow versions that will probably pass the emissions testing as long as there isn't a visual inspection involved.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Without precats you have no chance in hell of passing the sniffer test.

When I was going to gut my 3rd cat I took it off first and drove to my friends smog station to have it smogged. It did pass but it wasn't all 0s across the board like when it was stock.

Gutting the 3rd cat does practically nothing performance wise.

Technically the J-pipe is illegal too since it's in front of the 3rd cat. You can't touch anything in front of any cat, at least not in CA, without a CARB or EO number. Most shops won't care since it really won't effect emissions and most won't recognize it as an aftermarket part.

The only legal options are high flow cats and it's iffy whether or not it will pass emissions with high flows in the precat position. Going from a 1,200 cell factory cat to a 300 cell aftermarket is a pretty huge change.

Personally I would do precats and a test pipe in place of the 3rd cat and swap it all out when smog time comes. If it's only visual you have to worry about, there are many ways to fool them. Being in CA where they can take you car away for running no cat, I chose to gut my existing 3rd car so visually it looks completely stock.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:48 PM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a side note: When I lived in NC, I passed the emissions test with all three PRO-cats installed (I know it's not an option anymore, but felt it worthwhile to mention).
Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Intermediate

just purchased my v3 jpipe from richie lastnight and he shipped it out today, and its saturday lol pretty pimp cant wait, wanna do precats next and wait for his exaust if it out soon

move to alberta, now test what so ever here, lol i took a drivers test like 6 or something yr ago, was hard lol
Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Intermediate

****NO TEST WHATSOEVER i mean
Old 07-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
The exhaust system and the J-pipe will not effect emissions at all. The converters will and no matter what anyone says about passing inspections these parts are completely illegal to replace.

Originally Posted by Timb227
I would have a hard time believing this because it does make a significant difference on other cars. The major choking is in the precats for sure. But to say that the 3rd pipe doesn't do anything for power is not something I can agree with.

Originally Posted by stillhere153
Except for the fact that it is all shiny and aftermarket-looking. And the emissions will test higher without that 3rd cat in there.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 PM
6th Gear

If you really want to have all of the mods out there including(test pipe, rv6 pre-cats, and j-pipe) and you don't wanna take them off when emmisions come around. DONT! Instead register your car in a small county where smog tests aren't required. Tell them you recently moved into your gfs apartment so the adress on your drivers license hasn't been changed yet. Just be sure to have memorized a random apartment adress in the county you're registering at, and that should be all the information you need.
BTW I tried this in Fort Collins, Co and it worked.
Good luck!

Of course I actually was moving into my gf's apartment in Fort Collins, so I didn't actually lie. But none the less, my idea still would have worked if I had, just don't expect a reminder to come in the mail when your registration is up.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-11-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Most any modification to a vehicle, especially exhaust related is illegal or will cause hassles. It all depends on the state you live in, and how much the local cops and shops know and care about the law. I know a guy that got a ticket for not having a muffler, on a 100% stock vehicle that came without a 'muffler' from the factory.

That said, I drove without any catalyst or mufflers for years in NY. One just needs to 'know a guy' and the visual inspection part is taken care of. Of course the computer needs to think everything is fine for the OBD portion, but thats really simple.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is just my personal opinion and my plans for exhaust. I wanted to get a high flow cat and the high flow precats along with a j-pipe. I believe XLR8 has a version without the cat delete. I could change out my mods for inspection but honestly I would rather just keep the cats. I also don't want to deal with the smell or the yellowing you get on your bumper and exhaust.

I think most people who live in emission areas change back to stock or know people who will throw a sticker on.