I just want to go faster.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jmkiang
The TL will never be fast unless you want to drop money for FI... even then, you're probably better off boosting another car.

No offense to the people on here that are constantly pushing the envelope (mad props to you) but at the end of the day, its a TL and FWD.

When you finally realize this (took me about a year), you'll stop chasing down all the performance mods that have a horrible whp/$ ratio and just make it look pretty.

yeah, i'm just about there too...
Old 11-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
650rwhp on an '89 Supra? That's easy to believe with a MKIV but I didn't know anyone has ever made that kind of power with an older Supra.

it was easy actually. i had rod knock when i bought it so i did a full rebuild. wiseco pistons (40mm over bore), eagle rods, ARP everything. 3mm cometic head gasket. titanium valve train. brian crowder cams. 550rc injectors, walboro 255lpm, aeromotive fuel pressure reg. apexi safc, greddy boost controller. 3" divorced down pipe. 4" titanium exhaust. ebay hard pipes, and precision intercooler. ls400 afm. fuel cut defender. flex alite fan kit. hks adjustable cam gears. mines computer (super rare, i know, but i found one). stock hybrid turbo. front facing intake mani. hks ssqv bov. RPS 6 puck sprung disk with max series pressure plate stock fly wheel. i think thats it but i probably missed a few parts.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i also missed the EGR delete
Old 11-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea, funny I came across this thread- I was in my garage today and ONCE AGAIN....realized, I didnt buy this car for speed, if I wanted a FAST car, as mentioned earlier, I would have gone a different route, M or AMG, or some American Muscle, not the Acura TL. I bought this car because it is absolutley beautiful, reliable as they come, and did I mention absolutely georgous, not fast by any means, yet above avg. for most sedans in the class, oh...and the CAI because I enjoy the deep growl, not for the 5-8 hp- just enjoy it man.

Last edited by jeowen; 11-16-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Safety Car

haha, i used to "just want to go faster" at one point. couldn't do it, until i finally bolted the car up, then went down a freeway at 140. then, i got pulled over. end of story.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Racer

poor guy..I can't help but laugh my ass off at these replies. lmaoo

Old 11-17-2009, 09:15 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeowen
realized, I didnt buy this car for speed, if I wanted a FAST car, as mentioned earlier, I would have gone a different route, M or AMG, or some American Muscle, not the Acura TL.
If you can afford an M or AMG, why on earth are you driving a TL?? Haha seriously.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
pace yourself with the bolt on's, too. if you blow your load on everything at once, you'll just get bored quicker.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
For me, it's not going any faster, it's getting there quicker. I don't ever see myself going 140mph unless it's on a closed course somewhere.

The other interest for me is to learn about the tuning world. With the J&R kit, it at least gives us a good starting point and from there start tweaking and learn as I go. I've already learned a ton and I want to know more.

I also agree that I think this is a gorgeous car. So I get the best of both worlds. I know there is faster out there, but that's not my interest.

Last edited by KN_TL; 11-17-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:57 AM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by NedShneebly
pace yourself with the bolt on's, too. if you blow your load on everything at once, you'll just get bored quicker.
Helps when you have multiple loads to blow
Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
best bang for the buck to make your car faster is to make you faster, spend a few hundred dollars for a couple days of driving school with a professional. faster and safer too

Originally Posted by erick3
haha, i used to "just want to go faster" at one point. couldn't do it, until i finally bolted the car up, then went down a freeway at 140. then, i got pulled over. end of story.
? wtf.. erick why are you selling your TL, are you getting a TL-S?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
^

Originally Posted by erick3
Reason for selling: Purchasing another TL
He had every bolt-on, except the 6MT. My vote is that he is getting a 6MT.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
He should be getting the Type-S according to his private sales thread awhile back
Old 11-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Who can blame him wanting a Type-S. We all "just want to go faster"

I need to go out to the garage now to find something to take off of my car.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 PM

^ ... How about the ultimate TL - boosted, stripped, J35 & 6MT..
Old 11-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Majofo

? wtf.. erick why are you selling your TL, are you getting a TL-S?

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
^

He had every bolt-on, except the 6MT. My vote is that he is getting a 6MT.
HAHA you guys are AWESOME! Everyone knows about that stupid TL-S story...man, I was sooooo embarrassed when things fell through LOL
Anyways, I've been dying to own a manual car for a few years now; I've never owned one before! this offer I got from a local was something I just couldn't pass up! The car has only 14,600 miles on it! considering how mine's getting pretty high up in the mileage, I figured I'd swap out (super cheap!). The performance jolt that comes along with the 6MT is only a benefit on the side (icon always reminds me of you, Majofo...weird, i know lol)

I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Buy a bike and learn how to ride it. Then do a few track days.

You can go a lot faster than anything on four wheels.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
Buy a bike and learn how to ride it. Then do a few track days.

You can go a lot faster than anything on four wheels.
Better be a 750 or above lol.

Actually I prey on people around here that don't know how to ride. I've beaten liter bikes through the 1/4 because they always bog or wheelie. No one around here can launch properly.

But I do agree, faster and more fun. Too bad I'm chicken to get on one of those things.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:00 AM

Better be a 750 or above lol.

Actually I prey on people around here that don't know how to ride. I've beaten liter bikes through the 1/4 because they always bog or wheelie. No one around here can launch properly.

But I do agree, faster and more fun. Too bad I'm chicken to get on one of those things.
My buddy has two r6's.. one for the street & one for the track. We were working on his track bike when a neighbor walked over and started chatting about "what kind of bike, blah blah, oh R6.. too easy, I walk R1's on the highway all the time." So we bit, and my buddy got his ass handed to him on his street bike by our neighbors boosted 240, I forgot the guys exact setup but it was the 5/6th powertrain he's had in the 240, it was roll caged & gutted. We were a bit shocked to say the least. I'm in the same boat though, I know 3 guys that have survived some horrible wrecks. One almost tore his leg off because he backed off throttle from 110 to 80 in a turn and went sliding into the guard rail while his buddies zipped through it. Another acquaintance of mine completely tore one leg off and almost his head after a semi truck turned into his traveling lane, he decided to try and zip around instead of ditching underneath.. he lost control and went flying to the woods, a tree took one leg and his head slammed into another tree.. crazy thing is he was conscious and while in the ambulance he called his dad & gf. Definitely not for me..
Old 11-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Safety Car

My buddy has two r6's.. one for the street & one for the track. We were working on his track bike when a neighbor walked over and started chatting about "what kind of bike, blah blah, oh R6.. too easy, I walk R1's on the highway all the time." So we bit, and my buddy got his ass handed to him on his street bike by our neighbors boosted 240, I forgot the guys exact setup but it was the 5/6th powertrain he's had in the 240, it was roll caged & gutted. We were a bit shocked to say the least. I'm in the same boat though, I know 3 guys that have survived some horrible wrecks. One almost tore his leg off because he backed off throttle from 110 to 80 in a turn and went sliding into the guard rail while his buddies zipped through it. Another acquaintance of mine completely tore one leg off and almost his head after a semi truck turned into his traveling lane, he decided to try and zip around instead of ditching underneath.. he lost control and went flying to the woods, a tree took one leg and his head slammed into another tree.. crazy thing is he was conscious and while in the ambulance he called his dad & gf. Definitely not for me..
Damn, that is some scary shit. Was thinking about getting a bike since I am older and wiser now. Always avoided it because I would end up killing myself. This makes me think I made the right choice and to stay away
Old 11-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

I was into motorcycle in my young days. I had the fastest production bike for that time (1980). It was a Suzuki GS1100. Quarter mile as published in all of the mags was 11.1 ET.

Believe it or not, I put it on a severe diet too. Took off all dead weight, including rear brake. Motorcycles don't need a rear brake when you are nearly doing front-wheel stands under heavy braking.

After several years, I came to my own realization that I HAD TO SELL IT... or else.

I would come home after riding, and I would began to start shaking from the adrenalin dump and thinking over the stupid stunts that I had pulled. To repeat, this was me, not friends nor family telling me that I BETTER GET RID OF THIS THING. And I did. I sold it dirt cheap just to get rid of the temptation.

I still thank god (seriously) to this day for allowing me to get past that stage of my life with no injuries.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:13 PM
practicing nihilist

chick in college didn't see me and turned in front of me from on-coming lane. flew over her trunk at about 55. lost some skin and was really upset at the pile of plastic and metal that used to be my bike, but OK. every bike cop in town showed up thinking I was dead only to see my smiling face sitting on the curb behind them.

bought an R6 after that, brand new 2000. that's when I got really stupid. did (or tried) all the show-off tricks; used to run 2nd gear wheelies through 100mph. I also laid it down about a half dozen times when things didn't work out as planned.

Inaccurate, I know the shakes you're talking about. i don't scare easily but a couple years after I finally killed the bike, started having nightmares and day time flashbacks of the stoopid shit I did on that bike and it would send a chill up my spine. they are absolutely amazing machines and it's ridiculous how comfortable you get "cruising" at 120. my father, having recked a few in his day and knowing full well he couldn't stop me from owning one warned me: "right about the time you start to feel comfortable and think you got it all figured out is when it will knock you on your ass".

still, I also miss how great it was with the wind in your face and the full open scenery. i wouldn't ride another crotch rocket...well, not on the street.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Safety Car

Yeah, I hear ya. I had a buddy of mine that was weaving in and out of traffic on his R1. Car pulled out in front of him, he hit it, went flying, went under a car, got stuck on something, and had this stomach ripped open. Gross, huh? He was on the ground, with his intestines laying right next to him. Crazy thing is, he survived. They graphed the skin from his thighs onto his stomach. He doesn't have any stomach muscles anymore though; beer belly for life. He now drives a 911 Porsche Turbo haha...
Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you can afford an M or AMG, why on earth are you driving a TL?? Haha seriously.
I just dont need/want a fast car at this point, maybe in a few years, when its paid off, I will get an pre-owned M5, I can see that happening. The reliability and design of the TL is why I chose the car...seriously
Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
The new M6 with twin turbo
Old 11-18-2009, 08:57 PM
practicing nihilist

word. great car but I regret the auto (originally the family car) and don't want to turbo my FWD. it's still fun as hell but, got my sights set on the new M3. RWD and my first V8 is going to be an adventure.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
That's exactly why I won't get a bike. I would feel more comfortable racing one on the track as a track only bike than the street. I have a feeling it's safer going fast on the track than driving normal on the street. I see the way people act when I'm on my bicycle, I can only imagine a motorcycle. I now have insanely bright lights for night and day riding, they're actually more intense than the TL's HIDs and people sit there and wait for me because they don't know what it is and can't see anything anyway.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yeah u should get a super pocket bike!!!! 110cc of PURE SPEED AND FURY LOL. actually search them on youtube they are pretty cool and street legal. im gonna get one this coming summer! U CAN'T BEAT 120miles per gallon!!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Safety Car

I now have insanely bright lights for night and day riding, they're actually more intense than the TL's HIDs and people sit there and wait for me because they don't know what it is and can't see anything anyway.
Is that a train coming ?

No, it was just IHC !

Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tenzingsherpa
get a super pocket bike!!!! im gonna get one this coming summer!
Dude, put nitrous or a turbo on it. No..wait a minute.... put a turbo AND nitrous on it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-nT3Vgd_BI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_uiC596ytk
Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 AM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by jeowen
I just dont need/want a fast car at this point, maybe in a few years, when its paid off, I will get an pre-owned M5, I can see that happening. The reliability and design of the TL is why I chose the car...seriously
Still. There are nicer cars between the TL and a M/AMG. Just saying

So glad I have no more car payments though. That'd be a big reason for me to just keep the TL.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Safety Car

So glad I have no more car payments though. That'd be a big reason for me to just keep the TL.
Same reason here. And I still absolutely love the looks of a 3G.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:07 AM

^ .. IHC doesn't mess around. When I was in college I rode a bicycle as transportation since I only lived 3 miles away, unfortunately uphill.. ride to school would be ~7 mins with clear traffic and ride back home would be 15-20 mins.. I almost got creamed twice myself. One dickhead in a jeep swerved in my bike lane on campus because he was making a turn then honked as I ditched to avoid getting hit. I rode my bike after him and caught him as he was parking. I pulled my seat off my bike to beat the shit out of him, but it turned out to be some dumb blonde bitch. I was so enraged that I still got in her face then grabbed her bag from the back and punted it into the street, stupid bitch almost killed me. Fortunately I always ride against traffic, otherwise it probably wouldn't have had a chance. I wish everyone would ride on the street to know how it feels to be a moving target, people have no respect anymore..

Those pocket bikes are fucking ridiculous.. Might as well get a 125cc dirt bike than ride something that makes you look like an idiot.. lol.. sorry sherpa..

Glad you're still around Ned.. That's a crazy story.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

No car payments FTW and to me, there are no cars that look as sexy as the 3G TL with A-SPEC for the money I spent.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:55 PM
practicing nihilist

i got a ticket on a bicycle in college. ran a stop sign! like for cars!! did a double take at the doughy bike cops flagging me down and almost ran from them. I rode about 10 miles a day and was always finding new trails or jumps around campus. I know I would have lost them but it turned out to be the most comical ticket I ever got.

"Seriously?!" came out of my mouth more than a few times.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:56 PM
zaino'd

How much was the ticket?? Haha
Old 11-19-2009, 04:00 PM
practicing nihilist

well, it was campus police so not as bad as a typical careless driving, maybe $40, which was a week of drinking money that I didn't want to part with back then. they did register my bike in case it got stolen, though
Old 11-19-2009, 04:03 PM
zaino'd

Haha that's absurd.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:06 PM
practicing nihilist

anything involving campus and transportation usually is. motorcycles had rock star parking, though.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
its all good majofo. LOL yeah i think their pretty hilarious too but im like 5ft 5inches so i won't look completley stupid on it haha. it will be more for car shows and such i wanna match the bike color scheme to my cars color sheme. PLUS it is street legal too!! the X18 super pocket bike is in the video. In this video the rider is about 6 foot i believe. Can't wait to get it lol!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I just want to go faster.