HonData Flash Pro for '07-'08 Base TL and '07-'08 TLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Black07TLS
I was finally able to take the governor off my car using this tune. No more losing races cause my car stops are 135! However since there is no boost control with this tune I still have the megasquirt plugged in. Any chance the software update will have a boost control feature?
Why not just install a stand-alone boost controller? Seems a little overkill to have the MS3 installed for just that.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, it may be a little overkill but I didn't have a stand alone boost controller in hand when we were tuning with the hondata. We all assumed that boost control would be part of the software. I guess I will wait to see what the software update includes before I go buy anything else.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
I was finally able to take the governor off my car using this tune. No more losing races cause my car stops are 135! However since there is no boost control with this tune I still have the megasquirt plugged in. Any chance the software update will have a boost control feature?
You can set it without a tune, it's a feature you can go in and put a number on it.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Yes, it may be a little overkill but I didn't have a stand alone boost controller in hand when we were tuning with the hondata. We all assumed that boost control would be part of the software. I guess I will wait to see what the software update includes before I go buy anything else.
I'm not sure how you can control an external device by a software update?

Unless Hondata is going to develop an interface to attach the boost solenoid to the ECU, you'll need to stick with the MS3 or a gauge/controller.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
The hondata forum has ZERO entries for the TL FP and no one here has said anything about anything.......I assume the software issue has at least been fixed?

I got my 08 TL-S MT ECU in last week and the FLY100 is somewhere in Boston. It's supposed to warm up into the 40's mid week so maybe I'll get into the garage to see if this is all going to work out.
Originally Posted by bmeyer
You have no idea how excited I am for this. (Ok, maybe you do..)
This!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

07-08 was for the 04+ guys to get in the doors. Then maybe them 2G swap j32 may have a chance afterwards. Once it's all open, it'll be endless!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Are you saying CLS ecu's might have a chance at getting the hondata piece ?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't know, not there yet. Just throwing in to have some hopes for people. But right now, flashpro is only for DBW.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Safety Car

I've got everything but the temps are back in the teens, the battery is deader than a doornail and my heat is down in the garage. Need to pick up a new charger, fix the heat and I'll be starting on this project.....maybe next week.

A complicating factor is I am in the midst of a job/career change and have to document the hell out of my current job so I can move to my new job. Thankfully all in the same company but will take up a lot of time.

I'll post updates as they come.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 PM
The Track Terror

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Looking for some feedback on a few questions since I've been fiddling with my Flashpro:

1. What do you think about raising the rev-limiter to 7,000 or a little higher? It's only 250 rpms more than stock but is it that much more stressful on the engine?

2. I know some "other" tuning device with some other "tuner" said that lowering the VTEC point was not beneficial, but in fact *raising* the VTEC point actually showed gains...is that still the consensus?

3. Lastly, has anybody else used the Autotune feature?? I tried to do it over the weekend but I didn't save it and upload it...and life has been busy since then...soo...

Thanks in advance for the knowledgeable feedback!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the fenda rolla
Looking for some feedback on a few questions since I've been fiddling with my Flashpro:

1. What do you think about raising the rev-limiter to 7,000 or a little higher? It's only 250 rpms more than stock but is it that much more stressful on the engine?

- Dyno the engine, see what RPM the cams will flat out. It's no point to raise the RPM limit if the cams already flat out below 7K. If the cams can make more power up top, raise it and get a fuel pump over stock. This engine flows very much like the DOHC K20's with the 11:1 compression.

2. I know some "other" tuning device with some other "tuner" said that lowering the VTEC point was not beneficial, but in fact *raising* the VTEC point actually showed gains...is that still the consensus?

- Yes depending on your configuration on mods. Turbo, SC, and All motor will vary.

3. Lastly, has anybody else used the Autotune feature?? I tried to do it over the weekend but I didn't save it and upload it...and life has been busy since then...soo...

- Speaking from experiences, the autotune feature works very well. If you want to get your part throttle going, precise cell is your best friend. Once satisfied with your trims which are closer to 0, stop datalogging, disable live tuning, save your autotune map and reflash it back.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
been talking with Vit from vittuning (also sub contracted with e-tunez a bit, I think) and he's running a pretty good deal right now. etune and flashpro for 750 since it's a new release. said he pretty much sells the flashpro at cost and is usually more interested in the tunes rather than turning a huge profit on the hardware. has anyone used an etuning service before?

i'm interested in this not only for cost but also because he focuses on part throttle details (various daily driving runs with one or two WOT). sounds like a good guy, just wondering if anyone has feedback on the TL application or another car for etuning in general...thanks in advance
Old 02-08-2013, 12:55 PM
The Track Terror

^^^ yup, he's big on the 8thcivic.com...he'll definitely take care of your tuning needs and for a very good deal. I may hit him up for a tune as well...
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is already 7000 from the factory... do the 6mt and 5at have different limits?

If yes then absolutely raise it to 7k. They only time to shift before that might be 4->5. With a dyno and gear ratios you can figure out where the optimum shift point is for every shift.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
been talking with Vit from vittuning (also sub contracted with e-tunez a bit, I think) and he's running a pretty good deal right now. etune and flashpro for 750 since it's a new release. said he pretty much sells the flashpro at cost and is usually more interested in the tunes rather than turning a huge profit on the hardware. has anyone used an etuning service before?

i'm interested in this not only for cost but also because he focuses on part throttle details (various daily driving runs with one or two WOT). sounds like a good guy, just wondering if anyone has feedback on the TL application or another car for etuning in general...thanks in advance
This is interesting I was looking at this option also. Have you purchased your FP yet? If not, maybe if you told him to have a couple more people on azine he will cut you/us all a bigger break on the price. Maybe we can get a couple more people on this also.

I wouldn't touch the rev limiter or vtec. If you autotune and don't like it you could always go back to stock.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ProbyOne
Mine is already 7000 from the factory... do the 6mt and 5at have different limits?

If yes then absolutely raise it to 7k. They only time to shift before that might be 4->5. With a dyno and gear ratios you can figure out where the optimum shift point is for every shift.
Not to point you out but gears ratios? optimum shift points? What are you talking about bro?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Slooo97CL
Not to point you out but gears ratios? optimum shift points? What are you talking about bro?
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "point me out".

Why would someone want to adjust their rev-limiter? The answer probably has something to do with increasing acceleration. This is what I am talking about. Increasing acceleration.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slooo97CL
How do you have 3,000 posts on a car forum and not understand?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does this remove or increase the governed top speed on 07-08 tl-s 5at?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
at the risk of being super noobish, I was wondering if anyone has come up with anything for the 04-06 TL's? In the first couple pages there was talk about adapting the 07-08 ECU with a wiring harness to fit and work into the 04-06 models in order to run the 07-08 ECU and FP.. Just wondering if anything like this has been tried yet or if Hondata is working on a platform for the 04-06?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by don5504
Does this remove or increase the governed top speed on 07-08 tl-s 5at?
yes, top speed is set at 250 mph...and that is not a mis-print...
Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

To be honest, I didn't think that etuning was on par with the real dyno tuning. But to be simply put, I was wrong. Etuning is cheaper than the actual real tuning and will be just as great as if you are getting your car dyno'd. People did this back to back and found out that their e-tuning was right on with the dyno tuning or found out that it was -5 or -2 off their dyno numbers. E-Tuning you tune your car at the powers you use everyday vs Dyno tuning that you use at WOT. 2 different scenerios give you different power. You can feel these differences and the most power and fuel efficient come down to E-tuning as a complete whole package. Dyno tuning can do the same but at a much costly price per hour on the dyno. E-tuning can take over a week to fine tune your car, but at the end of the day, you get all those parameters fixed, no knocks, car feels powerful overall, and most importantly your car is part throttle tuned all on a flat road. This is new to the forum, but on other Flashpro threads on 8th, it's where the money is at. Once you are done E-tuning, get a dyno tune session done for at high peak number you car can't do on regular streets...

One risk to E-tuning is to do at your own risk. Third gear at 200RPM - 8,800 RPM is already in 120 mph range ( not a TL). So to sum it up, if you have a Closed road or Highway access, it's the safest way to record that log in those circumstances than on a public road. Many people have done so with success and a few.. well, their exhausts will be a cop magnet which will be a downfall..

My man Vit will help, he's a great tuner and will gladly teach anyone how to tune their car. Or at least get the basics down.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Burning Brakes

^ Glad to know this

Are there any updates on retrofitting on the 04-06 TL?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bouncer07
To be honest, I didn't think that etuning was on par with the real dyno tuning. But to be simply put, I was wrong. Etuning is cheaper than the actual real tuning and will be just as great as if you are getting your car dyno'd. People did this back to back and found out that their e-tuning was right on with the dyno tuning or found out that it was -5 or -2 off their dyno numbers. E-Tuning you tune your car at the powers you use everyday vs Dyno tuning that you use at WOT. 2 different scenerios give you different power. You can feel these differences and the most power and fuel efficient come down to E-tuning as a complete whole package. Dyno tuning can do the same but at a much costly price per hour on the dyno. E-tuning can take over a week to fine tune your car, but at the end of the day, you get all those parameters fixed, no knocks, car feels powerful overall, and most importantly your car is part throttle tuned all on a flat road. This is new to the forum, but on other Flashpro threads on 8th, it's where the money is at. Once you are done E-tuning, get a dyno tune session done for at high peak number you car can't do on regular streets...

One risk to E-tuning is to do at your own risk. Third gear at 200RPM - 8,800 RPM is already in 120 mph range ( not a TL). So to sum it up, if you have a Closed road or Highway access, it's the safest way to record that log in those circumstances than on a public road. Many people have done so with success and a few.. well, their exhausts will be a cop magnet which will be a downfall..

My man Vit will help, he's a great tuner and will gladly teach anyone how to tune their car. Or at least get the basics down.
i really appreciate this feedback, and it's right in line with what vit has been telling me and what i've been reading up on. he thinks highly of the part throttle tune and thinks it's more applicable for a daily driver since you datalog with all types of driving scenarios. i agree with the risk portion also, since this is all being done in public, i'll have to pick a time nice and early

i also contacted e-tunez and they wrote me back that they have not had a J series engine come through yet but that they have done lots of hondas/acuras in the past and don't see it being too much of an issue. they also said they would discount the first one to come through in case anyone is interested. since i'm new to this and I initially contacted vit first, i'm going to go through him. hopefully people keep updating this thread, or one similar, with results and keep buliding on what we're learning
Sonnick (02-16-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Seeing that you got the year classified for Flashpro and 6 spd, it'll be interesting. Also, you'll be the leader that everyone will follow. I would've been the first one but then, my car is 05. Let the people know your experiences when you do this. It'll be interesting as people will start to catch up what this is all about.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Safety Car

ILC was the first to post about his Flashpro results and he has a 2007 type s manual but went with the dyno tune...so technically he is the first

vit said he is currently doing the e-tune with someone from acurazine on their TL...anyone know who that is? i plan on buying vit's combo (flashpro and e-tune) this Thursday.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

ILC was the first to post about his Flashpro results and he has a 2007 type s manual but went with the dyno tune...so technically he is the first

vit said he is currently doing the e-tune with someone from acurazine on their TL...anyone know who that is? i plan on buying vit's combo (flashpro and e-tune) this Thursday.
Sick. I'm excited for everyone getting the ECU flash.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 PM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
yes, top speed is set at 250 mph...and that is not a mis-print...
Sweet, Im so ready to start spanking those damn Veyron's in my Accord now. This was the ONLY factor that was limiting me.
The following 2 users liked this post by yungone501:
Atlas.46 (02-18-2013), Sonnick (02-16-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 PM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm working with Vit who will be tuning my UA7 6MT. Weather has not been on our side over the last little while though.

Look out for a new thread detailing the results soon
The following 2 users liked this post by TmaX:
sockr1 (02-15-2013), Sonnick (02-16-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TmaX
I'm working with Vit who will be tuning my UA7 6MT. Weather has not been on our side over the last little while though.

Awesome! Excited to hear about your experience! Make sure to include your mods, I think your other thread mentioned the atlp base exhaust
Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts

finally, lol
Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 AM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by i_love_cars
finally, lol
Do you mean finally someone else or that the mystery has been solved?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Do you mean finally someone else or that the mystery has been solved?
finally someone else
Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
When I was considering this I was thinking about purchasing an AEM harness and re-pin the plug end. I contacted them to see if I could get one un-assembled but it wasn't possible as they aren't the manufacturers. I've also never been able to remove those pins according to some of the internet pages that document how to do it.

So I found the following at newunitedracetech.com

Sumitomo HE series 040(1.0mm) Female Terminal 0.3-0.85mm2
Tyco Multilock 040III HD 31 Position Housing [White]
Tyco Multilock 040III HD 24 Position Housing [White]
Tyco Multilock 040III HD 17 Position Housing [White]
Tyco Multilock 040III HD 22 Position Housing [Black]

Hope this helps anyone who wants to pursue rewiring for a retrofit.
Cant believe i missed this post before.

The hondata forum has ZERO entries for the TL FP and no one here has said anything about anything.......I assume the software issue has at least been fixed?

I got my 08 TL-S MT ECU in last week and the FLY100 is somewhere in Boston. It's supposed to warm up into the 40's mid week so maybe I'll get into the garage to see if this is all going to work out.
Makes me excited.. even though i have an 04 6-6 Accord. Your planning on making an extension harness(Like aem or boomslang)and then run the extra wires where needed for things that aren't on our years off the extension harness? Rather than cut into the factory harness?. If I remember right... the CAN is different and there is a second coolant sensor.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Aside from the 2nd temp sensor is a 12v signal from the starter switch. I need to get back on the honda site to see exactly where that line goes.

On the DLC, the CAN H and L lines need to be run and the I/O pin needs to be relocated from 14 to 1.

There are a I/O's relating to a variable fuel pump and something to do with active noise system in the TL-S that I don't know at this point if it'll be an issue.

If it's just the first two paragraphs it is easy.

You may not need the connectors as a AEM harness may be it if you can pull all the pins out of the plugs.

For the 06 model, it's almost 1-1 and I don't think I am going to need a harness, maybe just adding the pins for the 2nd sensor and tapping into the CAN lines.

For the 04/05 Models, VBSOL2 (power source for solenoid valves) is not there but everything else seems to be, except they are all scrambled. That missing power source shouldn't be a problem. Definitely need to repin or use the AEM/Boomslang harness.

I have everything ready to dive in except for a warm garage. It was 15deg this morning and 25 in the garage. Too freaking cold. My heat went out during a 20 below zero night so until it get's more humane up here, I won't have anything new to say.

Last edited by KN_TL; 02-18-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Atlas.46 (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Aside from the 2nd temp sensor is a 12v signal from the starter switch. I need to get back on the honda site to see exactly where that line goes.

On the DLC, the CAN H and L lines need to be run and the I/O pin needs to be relocated from 14 to 1.

There are a I/O's relating to a variable fuel pump and something to do with active noise system in the TL-S that I don't know at this point if it'll be an issue.

If it's just the first two paragraphs it is easy.

You may not need the connectors as a AEM harness may be it if you can pull all the pins out of the plugs.

For the 06 model, it's almost 1-1 and I don't think I am going to need a harness, maybe just adding the pins for the 2nd sensor and tapping into the CAN lines.

For the 04/05 Models, VBSOL2 (power source for solenoid valves) is not there but everything else seems to be, except they are all scrambled. That missing power source shouldn't be a problem. Definitely need to repin or use the AEM/Boomslang harness.

I have everything ready to dive in except for a warm garage. It was 15deg this morning and 25 in the garage. Too freaking cold. My heat went out during a 20 below zero night so until it get's more humane up here, I won't have anything new to say.
Cant wait to see your progress. Will be following it closely.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM
J-series addict

Keep in mind guys that this conversion may only work for the 6MT's. There's far too many indifferences when comparing the 04-06 TL autos to the 07-08 TL autos. Having done the conversion from both the 07-08 TL-S and the base 3g TL already, I'd say its safe to say you manual guys are soon to be having the option for tuning.

I'd say a valid concern even so from the manual conversion would be the immobilizer. I'm certain that from 07 to 08 there was a change in the immobilizer ecu itself and I know they aren't interchangeable. From 04 up to 08 (maybe further) Acura began using a Type IV immobilizer system which works the same in all five years. I'm not sure if 04-06 is compatible ONLY with 07 or not. That's another factor someone may want to consider.

FYI, if anyone runs into an issue with this, if you buy a used immobilizer ecu make sure you get the VIN to its donor vehicle. Without the VIN, programming becomes a major PIA due to unknown codes that are required to adapt it to the current ECM. If all else fails, one can call the dealership with the VIN matched to the immobilizer and obtain something called a "brake code" which allows the operator to enter a code via emergency (hand) brake to allow operation of the vehicle. This is what enabled my initial start up of my TL-S swap btw...
The following 2 users liked this post by yungone501:
bmeyer (02-19-2013), Euro-R_Spec_TSX (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Good info to start
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by yungone501
Keep in mind guys that this conversion may only work for the 6MT's. There's far too many indifferences when comparing the 04-06 TL autos to the 07-08 TL autos. Having done the conversion from both the 07-08 TL-S and the base 3g TL already, I'd say its safe to say you manual guys are soon to be having the option for tuning.

I'd say a valid concern even so from the manual conversion would be the immobilizer. I'm certain that from 07 to 08 there was a change in the immobilizer ecu itself and I know they aren't interchangeable. From 04 up to 08 (maybe further) Acura began using a Type IV immobilizer system which works the same in all five years. I'm not sure if 04-06 is compatible ONLY with 07 or not. That's another factor someone may want to consider.

FYI, if anyone runs into an issue with this, if you buy a used immobilizer ecu make sure you get the VIN to its donor vehicle. Without the VIN, programming becomes a major PIA due to unknown codes that are required to adapt it to the current ECM. If all else fails, one can call the dealership with the VIN matched to the immobilizer and obtain something called a "brake code" which allows the operator to enter a code via emergency (hand) brake to allow operation of the vehicle. This is what enabled my initial start up of my TL-S swap btw...
I'd say impossible to retrofit a 5AT.

So you've done this already? Was the 2nd temp sensor and starter switch input needed to make the newer ecu happy?

And to clarify the immobilizer statement. Are the 04-06 immobilizers different from the 07-08? I have a factory fresh 08 ECU and a FLY100 that is supposed to allow me to update the VIN and program the immobilizer. I am hoping that I don't have an incompatibility between the ECU and immobilizer.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM
J-series addict

I'd say impossible to retrofit a 5AT.

So you've done this already? Was the 2nd temp sensor and starter switch input needed to make the newer ecu happy?

And to clarify the immobilizer statement. Are the 04-06 immobilizers different from the 07-08? I have a factory fresh 08 ECU and a FLY100 that is supposed to allow me to update the VIN and program the immobilizer. I am hoping that I don't have an incompatibility between the ECU and immobilizer.

Thanks for the info.
The ECT 2, although monitored by the ECM, only controls high speed fan operation and has no effect on engine functionality. As for the whole starter cut relays (I believe there were 3) aren't monitored either. I had starter relay output from the ECM going to a single relay and never had one trouble code...so I feel it's safe to say there's no detectable line.

As for immobilizers, I am not certain of this part BUT I think 04-07 may be the same and interchangeable. It's 08 and beyond that I know has been known not to work...this I can confirm through experience. I was initially trying to use an 08 immobilizer ECM (key ring) with an 07 ECM and could never get it programmed. Although the brake code would still enable ECM operation through the immobilizer....kind of weird.

The whole conversion was very simple all the way up until I reached connector E (as well as C171)because both cars differ drastically in terms of pinout and locations. There also a few wires I had to literally add into the base 3g TL sub-harness as they were non existent. Wasn't all that bad.
bmeyer (02-19-2013)

Quick Reply: HonData Flash Pro for '07-'08 Base TL and '07-'08 TLS