HELP: Installed short shifter, now shifter moves without depressing clutch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 12:46 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP: Installed short shifter, now shifter moves without depressing clutch!!!

(First post not a pleasant one)

I just installed the comptech short shifter this morning with no problems until I tested out the shifter before realizing I had forgotten to put in the flat metal clip that holds linkage in place, which pushed the whole linkage in toward the engine an inch before returning to looking normal as before. Once I got the rest of the shifter assembled, I now find that I don't need to push in the clutch to row through the gears!!! Rowing through the gears has the same feeling and produces the same sounds as before. I assume that it's not even engaging the gears and that it is now somehow permenantly clutched. I don't want to try starting the engine to test its reaction for fear of doing more serious damage than I may have already.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can possibly do to fix this or even first diagnose the problem short of waiting til tomorrow to take it to the dealer?

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The shifter has absolutely nothing to do witht the clutch and neither does the transmission or linkage.

With the engine off, it's not uncommon at all (in fact, it's quite common) that you can row through the gears without depressing the clutch.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:06 PM
7th Gear

Interesting, I guess I had just never tried it (this is my first MT and I've ony had it since thanksgiving-ish) and am perhaps being paranoid. I'll put things back together (completely!) and see how she purs.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by magus4286
(First post not a pleasant one)

I just installed the comptech short shifter this morning with no problems until I tested out the shifter before realizing I had forgotten to put in the flat metal clip that holds linkage in place, which pushed the whole linkage in toward the engine an inch before returning to looking normal as before. Once I got the rest of the shifter assembled, I now find that I don't need to push in the clutch to row through the gears!!! Rowing through the gears has the same feeling and produces the same sounds as before. I assume that it's not even engaging the gears and that it is now somehow permenantly clutched. I don't want to try starting the engine to test its reaction for fear of doing more serious damage than I may have already.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can possibly do to fix this or even first diagnose the problem short of waiting til tomorrow to take it to the dealer?

Thanks.
are you shifting while the engine is off? b/c i don't have a short shifter, and mine does that.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've gone through gears on other cars with the engine off and without using the clutch.

Mike
Old 06-25-2006, 02:05 PM
7th Gear

All runs well with the car, I guess I had just never noticed that "feature," being a relatively new MT driver. Thanks for dispelling my paranoia!

Now that I've made my first post, at some point I'll get around to posting some pics of my audio install (blitzsafe and aux3, ipod, sirius starmate replay, fiberglass sub enclosure, amp).
Old 06-26-2006, 06:49 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as I know... every manual transmission will allow you to go through the gears WITHOUT depressing the clutch when the car is OFF.. I can remember doing this on my dads car when I was a little kid...

I am sure someone will post in here about WHY technically it will allow you to do this, (I'm curious myself) but it is normal... no worries there...