Help with Grounding Kit..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:36 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Help with Grounding Kit..

I recently purchased a Sun Hypervoltage Grounding Kit but when I received it, the directions were not what I was expecting. I am no idiot when it comes to working on cars, but I want to make sure I do this install properly. Does anyone know the EXACT locations of where the leads attach? I was hoping to find someone who has done this and could take some pictures of the exact locations.

I just want to make sure I do this right as it is all tied to the battery. Any and all help is extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:41 AM
321 whp SAE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmbnova
I recently purchased a Sun Hypervoltage Grounding Kit but when I received it, the directions were not what I was expecting. I am no idiot when it comes to working on cars, but I want to make sure I do this install properly. Does anyone know the EXACT locations of where the leads attach? I was hoping to find someone who has done this and could take some pictures of the exact locations.

I just want to make sure I do this right as it is all tied to the battery. Any and all help is extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

i've done this .. attach them where you see fit.. i can take pictures for you.. you can do the throttle body.. ground on top of the transmission. mmm alternator.. intake manifold ( back left, there's a hole already..)
Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 AM
How may I help you.....?

There are not specific points where you attach them? If you wouldn't mind I woud love to see some pictures... It says that it helps with low end tourqe... I assumed that there were specific mounting points to make this happen....
Old 06-01-2006, 12:22 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I installed too...and there's another thread I started in this forum on the same exact question jmb. It took me many hours of playing with the various lengths and combinations of wires and grounding stuff to get this close to "right", there's no one right way to do it.

Figuring out how I was going to mount the hypervoltage kit part was even more fun, since the engine bay is so tight, the covers get in the way..and the wires aren't that long that you can choose a ton of different places.

I went to Home Depot..bought a 4 foot long piece of angle iron with holes punched in it..and 2 4 inch stainless hose clamps. Taped the voltage reg to the angle iron (which I cut down to approx 6 inches long using a hacksaw...the ran the hose clamps through the holes and bolted it on to the front strut bar.

There's still a wire in my ground setup I'd like to move to another spot...and the spot inside the wheel well liner where the factory grounds are I couldn't really get to since the stock / oem air intake was in the way and I didn't feel like moving it at the time. (I did my a-spec suspension at the same time and wanted to get to that too).

Everyone will tell you where it ends up is fine / etc... I like the way my wires ran across the engine block though under the covers and all...and will take some pics and post them for you later on.

I also spent time and very carefully and neatly tie-wrapped everything to neighboring wires / parts so nothing will vibrate loose / etc while driving.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
How may I help you.....?

gqchicago...

Thaks for the input.. Ialso want to make it all 'neat' and find a nice spot for the box... Thanks in advance if you can snag those pics... I will play with it Sat morning and se what I can do...

When I searched I couldnt find anything... I'll try again and find the thread... Thanks!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by gqchicago
I installed too...and there's another thread I started in this forum on the same exact question jmb. It took me many hours of playing with the various lengths and combinations of wires and grounding stuff to get this close to "right", there's no one right way to do it.

Figuring out how I was going to mount the hypervoltage kit part was even more fun, since the engine bay is so tight, the covers get in the way..and the wires aren't that long that you can choose a ton of different places.

I went to Home Depot..bought a 4 foot long piece of angle iron with holes punched in it..and 2 4 inch stainless hose clamps. Taped the voltage reg to the angle iron (which I cut down to approx 6 inches long using a hacksaw...the ran the hose clamps through the holes and bolted it on to the front strut bar.

There's still a wire in my ground setup I'd like to move to another spot...and the spot inside the wheel well liner where the factory grounds are I couldn't really get to since the stock / oem air intake was in the way and I didn't feel like moving it at the time. (I did my a-spec suspension at the same time and wanted to get to that too).

Everyone will tell you where it ends up is fine / etc... I like the way my wires ran across the engine block though under the covers and all...and will take some pics and post them for you later on.

I also spent time and very carefully and neatly tie-wrapped everything to neighboring wires / parts so nothing will vibrate loose / etc while driving.
I was just wondering if you think it is a worthwhile mod that you actually feel a difference?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:19 PM
5mins2disney.com

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/i-hate-spring-break-135696/
Old 06-01-2006, 10:43 PM
5mins2disney.com

Here you go..here's my pics.

Pic 1 you can see the battery...I put their stickers on the cover thought it looked kinda cool..

Old 06-01-2006, 10:56 PM
5mins2disney.com

Grrr..spent 15 minutes making comments on each picture and it won't let me save them as the 5 minute edit limit has elapsed.. /sigh...
Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 AM
G35Killerrr

Hope this help........ this is a Buddy Club grounding Kit

Old 06-02-2006, 04:50 AM
321 whp SAE

doesn't look all that great with hose clamps to the strut bar.. what you could have done was, screw in a piece of metal to the under side of the strut bar, and sit the unit on top of that.. double sided tape.. it looks like it's floating that way, and very neat..
Old 06-02-2006, 05:26 AM
How may I help you.....?

Thanks for the pics guys. I am headed to Home Depot this weekend to try and develop my own mounting style...

Again... thank you... This helps out alot!!
Old 06-02-2006, 07:49 AM
5mins2disney.com

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
doesn't look all that great with hose clamps to the strut bar.. what you could have done was, screw in a piece of metal to the under side of the strut bar, and sit the unit on top of that.. double sided tape.. it looks like it's floating that way, and very neat..

Hehe...I agree actually..in the Honda Tuner magazine that's exactly how they mounted their unit... while my setup is VERY strong and sturdy, it certainly won't win points in the apperance category. With that solution though you would still end up counting on tape to hold it in place which isn't my favorite thing...if you could make the plate so that it had lips on 3 sides, kind of like a battery tray or something it would be more secure....but I didn't have that great of fabrication abilities when I did this. I do have a guy who's a machinist who used to make me stainless steel parts for my sailboat when needed...but once I got it installed I kinda got lazy and decided it's ok for now..hehe..
Old 06-02-2006, 08:10 AM
321 whp SAE

you're right.. it's sturdy.. yes, i did mine like the one in the honda tuning magazine.. now it's a little different.. i have it wire tied to the fuse box.. haha.. like the blue though!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Performance Results?

Hey Guys! I've been wanting to do this mod and just want your feedback on the performance.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Here's where I mounted mine, the hole was already there and tapped, I did forget the size of the bolt, but it's a common one. Looks better here than on strut bar.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Now Im thinking of putting mine back on. I had it removed when the supercharger was installed, but I told him to keep it off. Maybe Ill put it back on.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:49 AM
G35Killerrr

Originally Posted by bklynpanman

This is my old pic i already Relocated the whole thing but just too lazy to take pic of the new Location
Old 06-02-2006, 12:49 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by joed40
Here's where I mounted mine, the hole was already there and tapped, I did forget the size of the bolt, but it's a common one. Looks better here than on strut bar.

I am planning in getting the buddy club Voltage Stablizer very soon. What do you guys think in terms of performance??? Was it worth the $150-200 mod????

PS....I think that is the perfect location for the unit to be mounted on. Looks good!!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:36 PM
5mins2disney.com

That location does look good..but I'm assuming you had to lose the cover on the right to get it there?

The buddy one looks like it has a mounting screw while the Sun HV one does not...tape, tie wraps, or clamps are the only way to mount the Sun.

Was it worth it? I can't say for 100% sure..but with both kits on the car it does seem to have more power/torque.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Great mod, had it for a while and but now I'm getting a little shock from the door frame when I close the door every other time I get out of the car.

Is the happening to anyone else?
Old 06-03-2006, 08:49 PM
321 whp SAE

now that's friggin wierd
Old 06-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bTwix
Great mod, had it for a while and but now I'm getting a little shock from the door frame when I close the door every other time I get out of the car.

I don't have the grounding kit, but I always get shocked when i get out of the car (but that's only when i'm wearing addidas pants haha)
Old 06-04-2006, 03:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
I don't have the grounding kit, but I always get shocked when i get out of the car (but that's only when i'm wearing addidas pants haha)
lol, I was wearing addidas pants too when I got shocked, will have to pay attention next time
Old 06-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bTwix

I'd check for a load on the electrical system. You may have a leak.
-Lee
Old 06-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by asu_lee
I'd check for a load on the electrical system. You may have a leak.
-Lee
Thanks for the info, how does one go about checking this?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Advanced

Multimeter and some free time. Take voltage readings on wires and see if you have something drawing on the system. Yes it is a pain in the ass but...its the only way.
-Lee