Group Buy for JnR ECU - Dyno's/Gains (12/23); Prices Posted (1/7)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:53 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

damn man....if i hear anything about your $$$ from Rodney will let you know....but none the less, thats fucked up mang....
Old 07-05-2012, 02:51 PM
WDP Type-S sitting on air

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts
i havent been following this thread for a while now but i just went back to get a recap and it really sucks that all of this is going down. i was actually saving up for this ECU but im hesitant to purchase something from a vendor like rodney. any chance that maybe another company can start producing something similar to this ECU? if rodney can do it im sure someone else can. just a hope
Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by rptls08
i havent been following this thread for a while now but i just went back to get a recap and it really sucks that all of this is going down. i was actually saving up for this ECU but im hesitant to purchase something from a vendor like rodney. any chance that maybe another company can start producing something similar to this ECU? if rodney can do it im sure someone else can. just a hope
This is true. I'm not sure why he is having difficulties getting the hardware out to people.

It's the after sales support that is key. If you have a tuner available then you'd be golden. But not a lot of people appear to want to mess with this so you're left to count on Rodney and doing a lot of research on your own.

Hoping he can get this behind him soon.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by KN_TL
This is true. I'm not sure why he is having difficulties getting the hardware out to people.

It's the after sales support that is key. If you have a tuner available then you'd be golden. But not a lot of people appear to want to mess with this so you're left to count on Rodney and doing a lot of research on your own.

Hoping he can get this behind him soon.
i mean if he can work all this out and build a positive reputation again then im all for buying his ECU and supporting someone who even with this mess of a situation has unlocked a lot of potential for our platform. as far as the tune... when i first considered this option i showed a friend of mine who owns a local tuning shop and he said he has experience with the software so i wasnt planning on relying on rodney anyway. i guess ill put the ECU money into my new wheel fund lol
Old 07-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I have to agree with the recent comments in that there appears to be a market for the ECU even at its current price point but not without proper support.

Clearly, this isn't the mod for those looking for a "plug and play" or "set it and forget it" application - at least not initially. Comically, I'm one of those folks (or somewhere in between) and would have to read up a lot more to understand it all. I wouldn't even consider an ECU without some serious help.

I've been hoping this would have all gone down clean making way for a growing user and knowledge base available to help each other. It's sad to see it unfold the way it has but hopefully this is just temporary.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,012 Likes on 14,516 Posts
Not to be a jerk, but can anyone that knows this stuff and understands this stuff (Andy G?) maybe reverse engineer the JNR one and come up with a bigger/better/badder one?

I mean, it's pretty clear Rodney is looking to get out of this market specifically anyway and competition is never really a bad thing. It'll open up a whole new world for our cars.
The following users liked this post:
gerzand (07-06-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Not to be a jerk, but can anyone that knows this stuff and understands this stuff (Andy G?) maybe reverse engineer the JNR one and come up with a bigger/better/badder one?

I mean, it's pretty clear Rodney is looking to get out of this market specifically anyway and competition is never really a bad thing. It'll open up a whole new world for our cars.
Building the unit isn't that big of a deal. You just need to look at what components/configuration was used and duplicate it. Same with the harness. Just duplicate the connections.

The one thing is the knock sensor. Not sure where he is sourcing those from. But there is another solution on the fence that is installed inside the box. I plan on playing with it once they produce another batch. They are projecting both a knock unit and RTC (real time clock) being available in August.

I would personally make some arrangement with Rodney because to all fairness to him and Doc, they should be getting something in return even if there is no post sale support.

I've been offering to help him and maybe if he would be open to doing some sub-contracting then future units could be possible.

Last edited by KN_TL; 07-05-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 PM

Building the unit isn't that big of a deal. You just need to look at what components/configuration was used and duplicate it. Same with the harness. Just duplicate the connections.

The one thing is the knock sensor. Not sure where he is sourcing those from. But there is another solution on the fence that is installed inside the box. I plan on playing with it once they produce another batch. They are projecting both a knock unit and RTC (real time clock) being available in August.

I would personally make some arrangement with Rodney because to all fairness to him and Doc, they should be getting something in return even if there is no post sale support.

I've been offering to help him and maybe if he would be open to doing some sub-contracting then future units could be possible.
THIS

always good to give back....its not always about building a newer version, the MS3 geniuses are doing that....Rodney has honestly put a ton of $$$ into this with the tuning and the dyno's and etc...yes, his customer service has not been there at all, but in my head he should get some credit for bringing Turbo/Tuning options to us where companies with a lot more $$$ have failed....

again if he (Rodney) can fulfill this GB (including Peters refund) ASAP, then provide us guys (with JnR product) with some after sales support so we are not dependent on Andy/KN....I bet this will get his rep a little higher in my books....

its just bad luck that the harnesses went out of stock in the middle of this GB....either way he should have communicated better and the forum wasnt certainly kind to the people communicating for him (whether it was me or KN)....

Last edited by swoosh; 07-05-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 PM

Sounds like the merchandising and communication is what he should be outsourcing then...his heart was in it and he probably prefers the behind the scenes of the R&D and the hands on building of these things.

Either way, there will be others that eventually come along with something similar and potentially better. It's what happens to all new products.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:57 PM

Sounds like the merchandising and communication is what he should be outsourcing then...his heart was in it and he probably prefers the behind the scenes of the R&D and the hands on building of these things.

Either way, there will be others that eventually come along with something similar and potentially better. It's what happens to all new products.
yeah i think if he had some help in some aspects of his business it would have been smoother.

speaking of other options. whatever happened to that tuning solution that was supposed to come out similar to this one. there is a thread created by Maharajamd about it.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM

I want to say that it didn't come to fruition, but I won't speak for Chad...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 PM

i figured... but you never know right. i usually spend most of my time in the suspension/tire part of the forum so im a little out of the loop lol
Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 PM

^^^ Ravin since you are serious about the ECU....i would suggest you to get the ECU BUT dont get it just yet....

I think Rodney took tooo many things on his plate...he has the following cars he is builing: Spades/Btwix/Someone in Colorado/Someone in Seattle (i think this is Btwix)/Bert was down there and this ECU GB....he is getting to them one by one and hence taking a ton of time....

too much food can cause indigestion....once the GB is done, let him give some support to the people who have got the product....and then you can order from him (if his rep goes up)....but yeah usually tuning support comes out within couple years, the J series has been out for more than 10 years with only 1 company with a standalone ECU....if you dont want a standalone ECU, you can always get an AEM FIC and call it a day
Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
I think Rodney took tooo many things on his plate...he has the following cars he is builing: Spades/Btwix/Someone in Colorado/Someone in Seattle (i think this is Btwix)/Bert was down there and this ECU GB....he is getting to them one by one and hence taking a ton of time....
I haven't been following this thread, but I ordered my ECU from Rodney over a year ago way back in the ECU preview thread. My ECU took some time to arrive, OK several months due to hiccups with suppliers, etc. Was I pissed from time to time waiting for my ECU, yes. But Rodney came through in the end and was great to work digging into the turbo build. Guess that's the nature of a small business doing small batches in a niche market without a lot of margin. Took a while for that to really sink in for me when I was waiting on the ECU. Rodney's a good guy, is doing some innovative stuff, and is just totally slammed right now. He doesn't have the resources of a big company to throw at the problem. If things are going slow, it's because he's taking the time to do it right and not just slapping these together. If I had to pick ... just sayin'
justnspace (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 AM

^^^Well that's a nice positive post at least. Honestly, all the business and money aside, I met him once, and Rodney was a very down to earth and nice guy. Especially with all the power he was making and his knowledge, you'd expect him to be snobby, but not at all. I really do hope things get turned around here.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Im not sure but isn't it just buying the materials for the ECU then programming it?

It seems Rodney screwed himself. He wanted to build something of quality and at a low price something that you just can't do without a big bank. Then it caught it to him and it took a toll for him and his shop. Don't know if it's true but him wasting a lot of dough on his car isn't right either.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 AM

^^^ Part of it yes....I placed the order for the ECU for Rodney and i can tell you he is not making much....and what he is making, he has already spend in the shop trying to dyno....

check this....RV6 Exhaust 1450+shipping....ECU (tuned) 1225 shipped....you catching my drift?

GB are usually meant to get the product out and get reviews....people who buy in a GB are the guinea pig and hence they get it for cheap....depending on our reviews the product will either sell or it wont....

but anyway, I am waiting for this GB to get over and Rodney told me he will be giving some fantastic after sales support....he already is planning for having a tuning session and just explaining the MS3/Tunerstudio....If you see from past experience, the boosted guys did receive good (from what I have heard) after sales support....i hope everything gets squared away and Rodney gets the credit he deserves....
Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

.If you see from past experience, the boosted guys did receive good (from what I have heard) after sales support....i hope everything gets squared away and Rodney gets the credit he deserves....
Nothing but good things to say about Rodney's support. He sometimes takes a bit to get back to you, but does in the end. Even went as far as to have Doc call me to answer questions that he couldn't.

Doesn't mean I didn't get annoyed by the delay in response, but as I said, in the end he did come through.

Last edited by KN_TL; 07-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:29 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
I hope this comes through as well. I've only been making a few posts here and there to see how it's going and if you guys are getting your stuff. I am interested in the ECU for my Accord, but if this doesn't turn around I can't justify fronting that money on a hunch.

One thing that bothers me though, is that I haven't seen 1 post from him in what, over a month? He knows his customers' feathers are rustled, yet still goes through Anil. I understand he has spoken to some people personally, but few and far between. The least he could do is post any reasoning/thoughts/etc in here, even if it's once a week. After all, this is HIS group buy, not Anil's.
Noober (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
isnt Joey or someone still selling their ECU in the BM...
Old 07-06-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
Joey hastn listed it.
i think it would be silly if he did.

its 06cm or something like that, that is listing his.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
^ he did list it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/j-r-ecu-ms3-package-860416/
Old 07-06-2012, 01:59 PM

^shame.

even if his tuner couldnt get the projected 20/20 gains, he still gained throughout the power band.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Curious

Does anyone know where i can find a front lip for my 02 cl s, the 2 i want they discontinued !!
justnspace (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 02:16 PM

^^^

@Sonnick....its no longer thro me man....i have quit giving out updates....and i think he talks to the people who are looking for him....he emailed Noober (mike recently) and spoke/text Peter....1 thing which really hurts a vendor is when the people come out complaining when something doesnt go right (and am not blaming them) and they dont come on here when something does go right....so all you see is negativity in the thread...

Either way Rodney did text me earlier today with the updates about 3 orders...
Old 07-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ivanfiggie
Does anyone know where i can find a front lip for my 02 cl s, the 2 i want they discontinued !!
are you kidding me? You are in the 3G TL Forum in the PERFORMANCE PARTS AND MODIFICATIONS section posting about a 02 cl s body part? Ill give you the benefit of the doubt since you seem to be a new member, but head on over to the CL section and post it there (Click CL at the top bar of the webpage)

EDIT: Thought you were new since you have 9 post buts you have been here since 2008....time to learn how to use AZine buddy
Old 07-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by justnspace
^shame.

even if his tuner couldnt get the projected 20/20 gains, he still gained throughout the power band.
Wasn't Joey the one who keeps throwing the speed sensor code when the ECU is connected. Whoever it was, I didn't hear if it was ever taken care of.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:10 PM

^^^

he was getting that code (which I think was fixed) and he was experiencing the sticky throttle too which Andy has a fix for...
Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 PM
ReDevil

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
I am. I was the first to jump ship lol. Honestly its so I can fix my turbz Civic, that is still down and out.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Wasn't Joey the one who keeps throwing the speed sensor code when the ECU is connected. Whoever it was, I didn't hear if it was ever taken care of.
My MS3 is not installed, and I have that code and other codes show up when its installed. I dont know how to fix.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 PM
04' tl 6 spd

^^^

he was getting that code (which I think was fixed) and he was too which Andy has a fix for...
still experiencing the sticky throttle but gerzand when he has time was going to fix my MSQ tune and send it to me. still waiting, kinda lost intrest.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:30 AM

Him, or you?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:07 AM

UPDATE

Got a text from Rodney that my ECU+Harness has shipped out....am still waiting on my Dual Wideband AFR + Pigtails (for injectors) + Fuel Pump

Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 AM

kinda lame.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 AM

^^^ and why is that?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Because;
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 AM

Cause you won't be one of the ones suffering in silence and having to be patient anymore!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 AM

^^^ hahha guessed that Jeremy but wanted to hear it from the horses mouth

@ Justn
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 AM

ha ha...Justin, he just called you a HORSE!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:32 AM
04' tl 6 spd

Him, or you?
Myself

Quick Reply: Group Buy for JnR ECU - Dyno's/Gains (12/23); Prices Posted (1/7)