Group Buy for JnR ECU - Dyno's/Gains (12/23); Prices Posted (1/7)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
i will try it. no my tuner told me he couldn't control idle because stock ecu is doing it and he couldn't adjust with the ms3. thanks KN for helping me out.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 PM
04' tl 6 spd

do i have to calibrate the others. map,afr,maf

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Joey, hope you get things figured out.
04' tl 6 spd

i only calibrated my tps
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Go to the Startup/Idle tab and make sure the Warmup Enrichment table is set. If you want, I'll send you a PM with my email address if you want to send me your msq, I can take a look to see if you need to find a new tuner.

I haven't seen the fixed map tune so it is possible I am wrong.

You don't have a wideband connected, correct? If so, then you only need to calibrate the TPS and Temp Sensor.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Originally Posted by justnspace
Joey, hope you get things figured out.
So do I,car runs really good a lot of low end power, knock light comes on sometimes and I have 5 codes that i have to fix.Im really happy with the ms3 and at time frustrated because i dont know how to fix. KN_TL has been really helpful, thanks again.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Joey tl
So do I,car runs really good a lot of low end power, knock light comes on sometimes and I have 5 codes that i have to fix.Im really happy with the ms3 and at time frustrated because i dont know how to fix. KN_TL has been really helpful, thanks again.
Glad to hear you are feeling better about your choice. I know exactly what you mean about being freaked out initially. But it definitely makes a big difference. Happy to help if I can.
The following users liked this post:
Joey tl (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Great to hear you sing praises about it!
I was getting a little worried because of all your concerns that you were hating it!

glad to know otherwise!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Go to the Startup/Idle tab and make sure the Warmup Enrichment table is set. If you want, I'll send you a PM with my email address if you want to send me your msq, I can take a look to see if you need to find a new tuner.

I haven't seen the fixed map tune so it is possible I am wrong.

You don't have a wideband connected, correct? If so, then you only need to calibrate the TPS and Temp Sensor.
MSQ sent, no wideband
Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Warmup enrichment is identical.

How did your tuner monitor A/F ratio?

I would be interested to see what those readings were when you were experiencing the jerky throttle response.

Just to clarify, do you have a vacuum line connected to the MS3?

I'm still trying to make sense of how fixed maps are working. I just can't get my head around the concept not actually knowing for sure if it's reading MAP.
justnspace (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM
04' tl 6 spd

I think he put something in my exhaust,no vacuum line hook up. on the dyno chart it shows a huge huge drop when he floor it in 4th gear to redline on the dyno how do post a video, i recorded my car on the dyno and you can hear the surge at the beginnig do i have to still calibrate the
what you told me to?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 PM

^upload video to youtube.com

then post URL here.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
KN you are a mafuawking genius !!!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Safety Car

I think he put something in my exhaust,no vacuum line hook up. on the dyno chart it shows a huge huge drop when he floor it in 4th gear to redline on the dyno how do post a video, i recorded my car on the dyno and you can hear the surge at the beginnig do i have to still calibrate the
what you told me to?
Yes, put in those thermistor values. If you have a laptop and can reproduce the issues, generate a log and send it to me and Rodney. That'll record all of the I/O's and we can possibly see what's going on. I'd be interested to see if MAP is being read from the stock ECU.

What did your tuner say about it?

Great to hear you sing praises about it!
I was getting a little worried because of all your concerns that you were hating it!

glad to know otherwise!
That has been the response of everyone who has had concerns, that it does add performance. Maybe not the numbers you expect or want but the fun factor is raised considerably. The one thing I don't think people realize is it's not going to be perfect like stock. I still have some idle issues that to me are minor, to someone like my wife who expects it to be 'right', it's not. That's what happens when you start fooling around. Sometimes, you sacrifice certain things for the gains. It's always been that way.

Originally Posted by swoosh
KN you are a mafuawking genius !!!
Long way to go to get there if that's even possible ...... just passing on what I've learned along the way.

Last edited by KN_TL; 05-04-2012 at 07:16 AM.
BostonSilverTypeS (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
wasn't sure if the image on pg46 was of the actual data of someone's Calibrate Thermistor Tables

if it was then not sure if this matters but from the MS3 site the Bias Resistor should be close to the middle temp resistor reading

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/first...ml#sensorcalib
" For greatest accuracy the bias resistor should be close to the sensor resistance at a 'warm' temperature."

again, not sure if it matters to this situation, also I don't have the actual ECU so I cant see what the software should read like, I am going off the manual/site information
Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 AM

That has been the response of everyone who has had concerns, that it does add performance. Maybe not the numbers you expect or want but the fun factor is raised considerably. The one thing I don't think people realize is it's not going to be perfect like stock. I still have some idle issues that to me are minor, to someone like my wife who expects it to be 'right', it's not. That's what happens when you start fooling around. Sometimes, you sacrifice certain things for the gains. It's always been that way.
Right on!

I plan to tinker!
and if i'm going to have a CEL, might as well get inacc to fab me up a EGR block off plate.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FCVadi
wasn't sure if the image on pg46 was of the actual data of someone's Calibrate Thermistor Tables

if it was then not sure if this matters but from the MS3 site the Bias Resistor should be close to the middle temp resistor reading

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/first...ml#sensorcalib
" For greatest accuracy the bias resistor should be close to the sensor resistance at a 'warm' temperature."

again, not sure if it matters to this situation, also I don't have the actual ECU so I cant see what the software should read like, I am going off the manual/site information
This came from Rodney and I am pretty sure this is the case. I haven't actually found a spec on the coolant sensor and what our operating temp spec is. That I am counting on Rodney doing this as part of his early development. I know he changed a resistor for me and replaced my unit but I am not sure exactly which one it was.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts

might as well get inacc to fab me up a EGR block off plate.

OR

Click Here

justnspace (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
Joey, So I dont know how to react to this but it sounds like your problem
"An erratic or surging Acura TL idle can be the result of air bypassing the throttle.

Read more: Acura Tl Idle Problem | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7956534_acura-tl-idle-problem.html#ixzz1tuSbIC89"

now what KN was looking at sounds like what would help with your issue but I do not know what the right #s would be to help

one thing to try is disconnect the MS3 ECU and see if you still have it with stock, this way you can rule out if it is Ms3 or not
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

I hope no one is foolish enough to add this ECU if you already have issues in stock form.

This is not going to cure it, most likely enhance the problems.......

If the people who are buying this don't know this, then I can't see a happy ride happening.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 AM
TimmieT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^ yes....Ryan (r3devi) and you are next in line....everything is ready to get shipped out....it should go out today or tomorrow....
well its now Friday and still no tracking number.......
Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by laosthaha
well its now Friday and still no tracking number.......
Call him! He is more than willing to talk to people. I never got tracking numbers unless I asked directly. If I were him, I wouldn't bother coming here. Too much unrelated babble to have to waste time if you aren't a daily visitor.
laosthaha (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 AM

^^^ I agree with KN....i havent called him in the past couple days as I didnt want to steal away from his family time....but we need to get orders shipped out....so yeah go ahead and call him buddy....
Old 05-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by FCVadi
Joey, So I dont know how to react to this but it sounds like your problem
"An erratic or surging Acura TL idle can be the result of air bypassing the throttle.

Read more: Acura Tl Idle Problem | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7956534_acura-tl-idle-problem.html#ixzz1tuSbIC89"

now what KN was looking at sounds like what would help with your issue but I do not know what the right #s would be to help

one thing to try is disconnect the MS3 ECU and see if you still have it with stock, this way you can rule out if it is Ms3 or not
as KN_TL stated if you had issues prior to the MS3 ecu then unplug it now and solve that first before getting into this....If not then Joey's problem is most likely related to MS3 and will need some tinkering with on the start/idle map.....I have same issue not as bad as it was as I got one patch fixed but every so often I do get a slight surge and sometimes it is bouncy idle for a few seconds and at times it may die on me if I don't let engine warm up a bit and let pass this phase.....I just been too caught up with some other things that I have not hooked up the laptop to the car and tinkered some.....

But on another note to KN_TL how has been your starting issues with this weather 40's and 50's...as stated mine has been good for most part and the cranking has been resolved already 2-3sec and it has always fired up....after the start though when running at idle is where I have to mess around with, but when I finally get to it I will shoot you a pm if I need a walk thru on setting up or run into some issues...I also been lurking in that ECU thread you started with the video so I am sure that will help as well!

Also finally had a chance to head up to the track at Epping with the new tune and am pleased with the trap speed although 1/4 time could def be lower but that has to do with track condition and better launch....I was trapping 102mph compared to 98mph before the tune...So needless to say JnR ECU has been running superb performance wise!
justnspace (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
as KN_TL stated if you had issues prior to the MS3 ecu then unplug it now and solve that first before getting into this....If not then Joey's problem is most likely related to MS3 and will need some tinkering with on the start/idle map.....I have same issue not as bad as it was as I got one patch fixed but every so often I do get a slight surge and sometimes it is bouncy idle for a few seconds and at times it may die on me if I don't let engine warm up a bit and let pass this phase.....I just been too caught up with some other things that I have not hooked up the laptop to the car and tinkered some.....

But on another note to KN_TL how has been your starting issues with this weather 40's and 50's...as stated mine has been good for most part and the cranking has been resolved already 2-3sec and it has always fired up....after the start though when running at idle is where I have to mess around with, but when I finally get to it I will shoot you a pm if I need a walk thru on setting up or run into some issues...I also been lurking in that ECU thread you started with the video so I am sure that will help as well!

Also finally had a chance to head up to the track at Epping with the new tune and am pleased with the trap speed although 1/4 time could def be lower but that has to do with track condition and better launch....I was trapping 102mph compared to 98mph before the tune...So needless to say JnR ECU has been running superb performance wise!
Exactly the same scenario for me. Slight idle dip when stopping but haven't stalled yet. The benefit of a manual is being able to blip the throttle.

Startup is about what you describe as well. I'm not worried about either.

What version of firmware are you running? I'm at beta20 (latest) and have seen no start conditions that no one else has experienced. So I want to drop back.

I'll help you if I can!
BostonSilverTypeS (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Exactly the same scenario for me. Slight idle dip when stopping but haven't stalled yet. The benefit of a manual is being able to blip the throttle.

Startup is about what you describe as well. I'm not worried about either.

What version of firmware are you running? I'm at beta20 (latest) and have seen no start conditions that no one else has experienced. So I want to drop back.

I'll help you if I can!
That could be your throttle body.....I've been driving with that for a long time....
Does it do it more often when its raining, lots of moisture in the air?
I know it is my throttle body. It dips at stops, or at any point at times while idling. If these are your symptoms, change the TB if you have a spare to rule it out, or swap with someone you know.

I have 3 TBs, but they're all BAD
Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Opel
That could be your throttle body.....I've been driving with that for a long time....
Does it do it more often when its raining, lots of moisture in the air?
I know it is my throttle body. It dips at stops, or at any point at times while idling. If these are your symptoms, change the TB if you have a spare to rule it out, or swap with someone you know.

I have 3 TBs, but they're all BAD
Thanks for the pointer. Is it the TB actuator or the body/butterfly itself? What goes bad?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:43 PM

^^^ and how are you messing up the throttle bodies ? as in how do you know they are bad and how did they go bad....

PS: not blaming....just curious !!!

EDIT: KN beat me to it
Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for the pointer. Is it the TB actuator or the body/butterfly itself? What goes bad?
Don't take my word for it, as I don't know for sure, but I do have the same symptoms, which is why I pointed it out...on that note
The butterfly itself can be cleaned if anything's making it act up but I doubt that's it. It is in fact the actuator. I notice mine, will be fine for days and not act up, and will do it out of the blue, but I notice it more and more when it rains.

Now, I don't know if the actuator/motor is sold separately, since I haven't checked. Like I said in the previous post, your best bet, easiest way to rule it out is swap with a spare or someone, in case it's not bad and end up buying a new one.

^^^ and how are you messing up the throttle bodies ? as in how do you know they are bad and how did they go bad....

PS: not blaming....just curious !!!

EDIT: KN beat me to it
One I mess up a very long time ago, when i tried to port it. All the aluminum dust got everywhere, then I sprayed it with brake cleaner to clean it up, and ruined it completely lol. Did not take it apart.

The next one...I can't remember.

This one....hmmmmm, it just crapped I guess
Old 05-04-2012, 04:23 PM
04' tl 6 spd

SURGING at the beginning
I went out and purchased a mini laptop and the registered version of tunerstudioms and megalogviewer to stay in the car. how do i data log my car.

Last edited by Joey tl; 05-04-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 PM
04' tl 6 spd

tuning on the dyno
Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
at the 16 second mark?? WTF was that
Old 05-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
at the 16 second mark?? WTF was that
That's the bogging he was talking about.

I went out and purchased a mini laptop and the registered version of tunerstudioms and megalogviewer to stay in the car. how do i data log my car.
Come on man....if you can't figure that out, you might want to get a refund.

Last edited by KN_TL; 05-04-2012 at 05:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KN_TL:
BostonSilverTypeS (05-04-2012), Joey tl (05-06-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
^ so this throttle body issue I believe has no relation in my case...as I have already gone from stock ECU to JnR unit and this only happens with the JnR ECU plugged in....But like I said it has not been a real concern to me,so I been putting it off for now, but when I am ready I will let you know what beta I am at, most likely it won't be the latest....I will shoot you a PM though whenever I get around to messing with it...

TIA KN!!....Vermont not too far away maybe I may take a cruise up there, would love to see a boosted TL in up close and also never been to VT. Only New England state I have yet to visit so maybe I could convince wifey for a weekend up there in the mountains!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Was going to drop back to beta18 and it failed to load. Lost all my tune and cal settingsand as a result it set the ECU back to bone stock. Went to download beta18 again and noticed that beta21 is out. So I went there instead.

Loaded the firmware, created a new project, loaded my tune, set all the cal settings. Car cranked and at first acted like it didn't want to start. Tried a couple times and it fired off. Idle is really smooth and throttle response seems better. Could be I didn't have a cal setting burned but so far so good. Now as long as I don't get a no-start condition, I will be happy.

Just thought I'd let you all know.

BTW, I don't think my throttle body is the cause in my case either. Especially now.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:41 AM
04' tl 6 spd

Sorry to hear that, but lucky you know what your doing. I emailed you my data logging I did last night, check it out see what you think. Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 AM
04' tl 6 spd

what version beta are you guys using? I'm running beta 19
Old 05-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Safety Car

I took a quick look and your TP readings are jumping all over the place. Did you have any throttle issues prior to connecting the MS3?

I also see MAP reading and checked the wiring. Found that he's tapped into the MAP wiring to the stock ECU so that's how he's running the maps fixed.

I need to figure out which data represents the coolant temp. I don't see it right off so I need to go to my tablet to see what the gauge on my dashboard is pointing to.

Have some commitments to take care of and will try and do it later tonight.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 PM
04' tl 6 spd

When running stock ECU everything is fine, only when running my MS3 I'm haven issue's. No rush, do your thing. I'm just thankful for all your help.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

Is this your idle log? Oh my noisy!

I checked the other log and what I see is TP tracks with both RPM and MAP. Your coolant temp was below 160 deg so as I said, make sure everything is warmed up and log it.

But the interesting thing would be to see the idle only from stone cold to starting to warm up. I am having trouble distinguishing surging from pedal blipping.

Last edited by KN_TL; 05-06-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Group Buy for JnR ECU - Dyno's/Gains (12/23); Prices Posted (1/7)