Greddy EvoII w/ different setups to lessen drone/noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mid muffler delete, with 2.5" tubing and a 6" X 27" resonator. NO DRONE!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmkiang
ATLP requires modification of my rear bumper... no thanks.
The new version of the ATLP is for BASE models! He says no cutting.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:54 PM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonlord
The new version of the ATLP is for BASE models! He says no cutting.
Too late. I'm gonna run with this first... if I don't end up wanting it, I'm sure I can sell it and try something else. Ones mans junk is another mans treasure.

Plus, if hes using the tips he showed in that other thread... well, they're not my cup of tea. IMO (for now), its a win-win going custom...

Last edited by jmkiang; 09-16-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:12 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Too late. I'm gonna run with this first... if I don't end up wanting it, I'm sure I can sell it and try something else. Ones mans junk is another mans treasure.

Plus, if hes using the tips he showed in that other thread... well, they're not my cup of tea. IMO (for now), its a win-win going custom...
I hope you end up liking your custom setup. Hopefully it'll be worth your time.

I really like the ATLP, and the original dyno #'s of the exhaust were from pulls on my car, but I personally like the way the GReddy looks. That's the only difference for me, the looks.

Regarding drone and loudness, you'll just have to live with it. The GReddy drones ALL DAY until 2.8K rpm. Then, higher in the rev band, it'll quiet down. Also, after you reach about 78-80 mph, the exhaust note gets very quiet. So, unless you are constantly over 3K rpm, or constantly driving over 80 mph, you'll be in drone zone. It is unavoidable.

The ATLP and GReddy both rattle the interior of my car during acceleration. With custom piping, IMHO, you run the risk of possibly hindering airflow, albeit a small amount. I say the same for adding an aftermarket resonator. The ATLP and GReddy are both straight-pipe designs, so a bit of rasp is going to be present, but drone is a definite.

I don't think I'd cut up an aftermarket setup...if I want custom, I'd just go custom. I know of 2 different guys on the forum who got the GReddy, added the Aero resonator, and still ended up selling their setup, because it was still too loud.

As previously mentioned, exhausts are/should be loud, and I think we have to sacrifice the loudness/drone for the looks/performance of the exhaust.

Definitely keep us updated, though, as I'm curious to see what you do!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
zaino'd

Cool post. Once I get all this junk installed, along with the precat deletes, I'm gonna hit up a dyno and see what numbers I can get. I figure the performance mods I have now are relatively cheap (cai, j pipe, test pipe, precat deletes, catback) so AZers might wanna see what a 5AT can put down at the wheels.

The nice thing about the ATLP is that it has resonated tips (right?). To me, the quad exhaust is, eh, stock looking (slippin' into my flame suit), partly because it is! The ATLP quads look nicer than the TL-S ones but still, very similar. I love the ricey canister look on the TLs... I feel it fits the exhaust cutout much better and enhances the "wider, squat" stance of the TL. At the same time, I've never seen the ATLP quads in person so it might not be fair to form an opinion prematurely.

Regarding the rattle during acceleration , I'm gonna have to fix my rear speaker rattle soon! Theres still some shattered glass in my driver door from the break in but I'll be installing the moleskins soon so that'll take care of that.

Not trying to pick a fight with you or anything but explain to me how a custom catback (if done properly and meticulously) can hinder exhaust flow? I'm following the same basic piping scheme as the aftermarket catbacks... I'm going to a quality shop that is capable of mandrel bending. Quality metallurgy, quality welding.

I would not want to cut up a BRAND NEW Evo2 either... which is one of the reasons why I chose to try this out first. I don't think I'm ready for something like the Evo2 yet... I just hope my setup is a little less aggressive (with my resonated test pipe and the Aero resonator).

Anyway, like I said before (somewhere), I'll take a ton of pictures and let you guys know whats up. Although custom catbacks have been done before, its all new to me so I'll be super excited to share my experience.

Last edited by jmkiang; 09-16-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:51 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Cool post. Once I get all this junk installed, along with the precat deletes, I'm gonna hit up a dyno and see what numbers I can get. I figure the performance mods I have now are relatively cheap (cai, j pipe, test pipe, precat deletes, catback) so AZers might wanna see what a 5AT can put down at the wheels.

The nice thing about the ATLP is that it has resonated tips (right?). To me, the quad exhaust is, eh, stock looking (slippin' into my flame suit), partly because it is! The ATLP quads look nicer than the TL-S ones but still, very similar. I love the ricey canister look on the TLs... I feel it fits the exhaust cutout much better and enhances the "wider, squat" stance of the TL. At the same time, I've never seen the ATLP quads in person so it might not be fair to form an opinion prematurely.

Regarding the rattle during acceleration , I'm gonna have to fix my rear speaker rattle soon! Theres still some shattered glass in my driver door from the break in but I'll be installing the moleskins soon so that'll take care of that.

Not trying to pick a fight with you or anything but explain to me how a custom catback (if done properly and meticulously) can hinder exhaust flow? I'm following the same basic piping scheme as the aftermarket catbacks... I'm going to a quality shop that is capable of mandrel bending. Quality metallurgy, quality welding.

I would not want to cut up a BRAND NEW Evo2 either... which is one of the reasons why I chose to try this out first. I don't think I'm ready for something like the Evo2 yet... I just hope my setup is a little less aggressive (with my resonated test pipe and the Aero resonator).

Anyway, like I said before (somewhere), I'll take a ton of pictures and let you guys know whats up. Although custom catbacks have been done before, its all new to me so I'll be super excited to share my experience.
No problem, bro. I'm not trying to bring any drama either. The actual stock Type-S tips are better looking IMHO, than the ATLP tips, because they are "canted" whereas the ATLP tips are "staggered". This, actually was my selling point to the GReddy. The ATLP tips come laser-etched, though now, which is nice, scoring some more points for the ATLP.

The reason I said a "custom" setup might hinder airflow was based solely on who you go to to get your piping done. If you go to a pro, than it shouldn't really be an issue. If the welding quality is poor, than airflow will not be optimized. That's all I meant to say. (There might be a slight bend/extra bend here or there). The GReddy is professionally made/mandrel bent, and has been tested, as well as the ATLP. The exhaust is 2 basic pieces, with the 3rd piece being the passenger side rear canister.

That's why I originally said that I hope you like your new setup, because it's a lot of work as opposed to just buying something that has already been proven and tested. So I hope it's worth it!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had my evo2 on my 98 av6 and it was aweome and lasted well over 100kk miles and not raspy.... was good enough that i have had it on my g35 for bout 60k miles now and looking for it for my 08 tl type s
Old 10-05-2008, 11:49 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
G35paul... I like your style
Old 10-06-2008, 09:13 AM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by princelybug
That's why I originally said that I hope you like your new setup, because it's a lot of work as opposed to just buying something that has already been proven and tested. So I hope it's worth it!
Gotcha. Didn't see your response til now... and yes, its a huge pain in the ass but I hope its worth it too I think in the end, I'll end up saving about 40% though, which I guess is worth the hassle.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Instructor

i need to reduce the drone noise as well (3 tickets thus far for noice infraction). i have evo2, ATLP test pipe and j-pipe.

going w/ Aero25...its not a bolt on product?? what needs to be cut and what needs to be welded??

didn't someone re used his stock resonater w/ evo2??
Old 11-17-2008, 12:44 PM
zaino'd

AR25 is not a bolt on. You'll need to chop out 14" of straight pipe and tig weld the aftermarket resonator in. Poor Evo2!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by rooki
i need to reduce the drone noise as well (3 tickets thus far for noice infraction). i have evo2, ATLP test pipe and j-pipe.

going w/ Aero25...its not a bolt on product?? what needs to be cut and what needs to be welded??

Someone did use the stock resonator and reported that the drone was reduced inside the car. But the mufflers are still going to make the exhaust note loud (ticket magnet).
Old 11-17-2008, 05:34 PM
The Darker the berry....

That would be me - I cut the stock pipe from about 8 inches past the stock resonator, removed the GReddy straight-pipe and had a muffler shop extend the stock pipe to reach GReddy y-pipe piece with a connector. I didn't have to cut any of the GReddy pieces and this GREATLY reduced the drone inside and significantly reduced the noise outside but did reduce the power a (very) little. I stayed like that for about 9 mos, but a couple of weeks ago I decided it was still too loud, so I reinstalled the stock mid-muffler as well. This time I did have to cut the front of the GReddy y-pipe. I don't really feel any diff in power, but the noise is even more reduced, no discernable drone, and I LUV the sound. Basically the only thing making sound is the 2 GReddy mufflers and it's great - you really only hear it when you gun it, which is what I wanted. On cold mornings, it's still kinda loud when you first start it but it's just a slight hum a few minutes later....
Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
10th Gear

soo sick

i love acurazine and just got my new tl type s and looking for aftermarket performance mods but i cant see any ones picks or look at anyones profile...

little help please?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jetblakTL
That would be me - I cut the stock pipe from about 8 inches past the stock resonator, removed the GReddy straight-pipe and had a muffler shop extend the stock pipe to reach GReddy y-pipe piece with a connector. I didn't have to cut any of the GReddy pieces and this GREATLY reduced the drone inside and significantly reduced the noise outside but did reduce the power a (very) little.
good deal. i'm hoping your not exagerating the reduction of drone too much. this is exactly what i'm looking for. if i can get rid of even 30% of the drone it's a success! motivated by your success story, i will be heading out to exhaust shop 2morow. Thanx 4 the info.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:49 PM
The Darker the berry....

good deal. i'm hoping your not exagerating the reduction of drone too much. this is exactly what i'm looking for. if i can get rid of even 30% of the drone it's a success! motivated by your success story, i will be heading out to exhaust shop 2morow. Thanx 4 the info.
No prob - good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy. Like I said, there will still be some sound, but the in-cabin vibration will go bye-bye....No more hearing the change rattle around in your cupholder!!! When I was doing my research, I ran into an exhaust tech who happened to have worked on an Acura TL and he was the one who said that the stock resonator did the best job of drone-killing.. Of course, I met him after I had already bought a 22" Magnaflow resonator, which is still sitting in my garage.........