FlashPro, Who has it and all thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
Other than those two problems, it drives amazing. Its much more smooth, rev hang is no longer an issue and idle is a tag bit higher which I like. Its definitely seeing the right about of air/fuel compared to before. Another thing I do like about it is the vtec engagement point. You can actually feel it kick in now like you can with any normal 4cl vtec motor. Overall I do love the way the FlashPro has made the car drive, we just need to work some of these major kinks im having out. From there we will fine tune to pull a bit more out of the tune and I will have it Dyno tested to see what gains I have.
The following users liked this post:
vietxquangstah (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Thanks for your input accordflex. I am planning on purchasing this in the future after I get the 3.7 intake manifold and ZDX throttle body. If you could keep us updated with how your tunes are turning out it would be great! Or will you be posting updates in your turbo build thread?
Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by AccordFlex
So I got my FlashPro on and working with my car but im having some problems with a few things.

1. Launch Control is not working properly. I have it set at 5000 rpm with a 4700 bounce which works perfectly. However once I take off normally and start driving, the Hondata has set the rev limiter to the same RPM as the launch control so in every gear I cannot go higher than 5000 rpm. I had to change the launch control setting to 6900 rpm so that I was able to do a normal WOT pull.

2. I have uploaded the VitTuned file to my FlashPro and the first run only saw a few knocks in cylinder 3 while just driving and not datalogging. Once I hit datalog, I did a 20 minute normal drive, no WOT, no VTEC and I was getting knock in cylinder 3. BUT the weird thing was there was no ignition retarding when the knock was occurring. Also the knock was not being counted like a tally system where the number keeps going up. It would fluctuate all over going from 0-200 back down to 10 back up to 60 back down to 45 back up to 150 back down to 20 etc etc. So I got worried and took the tune off and did another datalog for the stock Acura tune and was getting the same thing. The knock count was all over the place.

The thing about this is, I have never gotten a CEL for knock once. And its only in cylinder 3. I get one or two here and there in other cylinders but that is nothing to worry about. I am wondering if there is a hardware issue with the FlashPro, a bad spark plug ( i have yet to replace them, @65k miles) or an injector is clogged or not seated properly from when I did the PnP runners etc. So Im kinda confused at to if this is real knock or its ghost knock and something is just reading wrong. Whatever the case may be Im going to have Vit take a look at all the logs and try to diagnose what the issue is.
I am currently on cal 8 with vit and I ran into the same issues with the launch limiter. It happened around cal 5 where I couldn't do a wot past 5k and we were trying to figure out why. Vit did the same thing and just put the launch limiter at 6900, I think these problems happen because the TL is a new application and they just don't have all the kinks worked out

I'm not as familiar with the knocks and the timing side of things. How do I look up the knocks in the flashpro manager? I will take a look at some of my datalogs to see what they show. For the first few datalogs I used the flashpro as a stand alone unit, but then vit told me to use a laptop for the TL. He said even though the laptop generally isn't the best way to datalog, with the TL it's the only way to get accurate knock readings and error codes....again another bug for the TL.

Let me know how to look up the knocking and I will check mine out
Old 05-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Safety Car

Also domGSR-T also had knock issues in cylinder 3 whe. I was talking with him in PMs so it may just be a flashpro issue. Again, I'm not super familiar with it
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts
So I got my FlashPro on and working with my car but im having some problems with a few things.

1. Launch Control is not working properly. I have it set at 5000 rpm with a 4700 bounce which works perfectly. However once I take off normally and start driving, the Hondata has set the rev limiter to the same RPM as the launch control so in every gear I cannot go higher than 5000 rpm. I had to change the launch control setting to 6900 rpm so that I was able to do a normal WOT pull.

2. I have uploaded the VitTuned file to my FlashPro and the first run only saw a few knocks in cylinder 3 while just driving and not datalogging. Once I hit datalog, I did a 20 minute normal drive, no WOT, no VTEC and I was getting knock in cylinder 3. BUT the weird thing was there was no ignition retarding when the knock was occurring. Also the knock was not being counted like a tally system where the number keeps going up. It would fluctuate all over going from 0-200 back down to 10 back up to 60 back down to 45 back up to 150 back down to 20 etc etc. So I got worried and took the tune off and did another datalog for the stock Acura tune and was getting the same thing. The knock count was all over the place.

The thing about this is, I have never gotten a CEL for knock once. And its only in cylinder 3. I get one or two here and there in other cylinders but that is nothing to worry about. I am wondering if there is a hardware issue with the FlashPro, a bad spark plug ( i have yet to replace them, @65k miles) or an injector is clogged or not seated properly from when I did the PnP runners etc. So Im kinda confused at to if this is real knock or its ghost knock and something is just reading wrong. Whatever the case may be Im going to have Vit take a look at all the logs and try to diagnose what the issue is.

I have the same issues. Launch control must be set to 7000+ or it acts like a fuel cut. I also have false knock on 3rd cylinder and it was supposed to be fixed by hondata programmers on the last release but it's still there. I have sent a log of it to hondata support and they will most likely fix this soon. Are you using a bored TB? My car is a bit jerky when I'm a very light throttle during deceleration, the fuel cut is strong when I reach the 0% throttle position...
Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Other than those two problems, it drives amazing. Its much more smooth, rev hang is no longer an issue and idle is a tag bit higher which I like. Its definitely seeing the right about of air/fuel compared to before. Another thing I do like about it is the vtec engagement point. You can actually feel it kick in now like you can with any normal 4cl vtec motor. Overall I do love the way the FlashPro has made the car drive, we just need to work some of these major kinks im having out. From there we will fine tune to pull a bit more out of the tune and I will have it Dyno tested to see what gains I have.
Sorry about the knock man. Glad it's running well besides that though. One thing though, you should feel VTEC 'less' with the tune than on the stock maps. The tune should make the whole RPM band smoother, resulting in a smooth VTEC curve. The K series guys notice a much lesser VTEC engagement after being tuned. It shows in the dynos as well.

Hope Hondata fixes this.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Sorry about the knock man. Glad it's running well besides that though. One thing though, you should feel VTEC 'less' with the tune than on the stock maps. The tune should make the whole RPM band smoother, resulting in a smooth VTEC curve. The K series guys notice a much lesser VTEC engagement after being tuned. It shows in the dynos as well.

Hope Hondata fixes this.
agree with comments about vtec...i don't feel (or it's minimal) the vtec engagement anymore and there is no dip in the output right when vtec kicks in, it's just a straight delivery of power which is super nice.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Thanks for your input accordflex. I am planning on purchasing this in the future after I get the 3.7 intake manifold and ZDX throttle body. If you could keep us updated with how your tunes are turning out it would be great! Or will you be posting updates in your turbo build thread?
Ill be posting results in here and in that thread as well since they are closely related. More so in here for now with results because the turbo isnt being installed quite yet. Once I am tuning with the turbo, I will post more tuning stuff in there as well as here.

Originally Posted by sockr1
I am currently on cal 8 with vit and I ran into the same issues with the launch limiter. It happened around cal 5 where I couldn't do a wot past 5k and we were trying to figure out why. Vit did the same thing and just put the launch limiter at 6900, I think these problems happen because the TL is a new application and they just don't have all the kinks worked out

I'm not as familiar with the knocks and the timing side of things. How do I look up the knocks in the flashpro manager? I will take a look at some of my datalogs to see what they show. For the first few datalogs I used the flashpro as a stand alone unit, but then vit told me to use a laptop for the TL. He said even though the laptop generally isn't the best way to datalog, with the TL it's the only way to get accurate knock readings and error codes....again another bug for the TL.

Let me know how to look up the knocking and I will check mine out
Yea it spooked the hell out of me at first but then remembered seeing the launch control set at 5k which is where fuel cut hit, so a quick change fixed that. However, I still would like to have that fixed so that I have a proper functioning launch control.

To check the knock feature, click on the sensors tab and chose knock, but make sure you change it to 6 cylinders instead of the normal 4clinders so you can see all 6. Cylinder 3 is the one having the issues.

Im using the FlashPro to get the datalogs, but Im also driving around with the laptop hooked up while not datalogging just so that I can see what all is going on while normal driving. The best way to find some knock is to put the vehicle in 5th gear at around 25 mph and push the throttle all the way down and bog the car out, if there is any knock, you should see a couple tallys pop up. The issue is the knock keeps bouncing around instead of constantly going up which is why I do not believe that is it true knock, I think the FlashPro is goofing up.

Also domGSR-T also had knock issues in cylinder 3 whe. I was talking with him in PMs so it may just be a flashpro issue. Again, I'm not super familiar with it
I just let Vit know about everything so hopefully we can resolve this issue.

Originally Posted by DomGSR-T
I have the same issues. Launch control must be set to 7000+ or it acts like a fuel cut. I also have false knock on 3rd cylinder and it was supposed to be fixed by hondata programmers on the last release but it's still there. I have sent a log of it to hondata support and they will most likely fix this soon. Are you using a bored TB? My car is a bit jerky when I'm a very light throttle during deceleration, the fuel cut is strong when I reach the 0% throttle position...
Not using a bored TB, just the larger ZDX TB and 3.7L manifold with PnP runners. My car is not jerky at all when decelerating. Cant wait til they resolve this and everything is 100% flawless.

Hope Hondata fixes this.
Other than the false knock which scares me, everything is great haha. Also remember this was the first base run with Vits TL basemap and he will be tuning mine accordingly to the mods that I have. As far as vtec goes, Its nice to actually feel it kick in. But like i said this was the very first basemap I have run and will have lots more tuning and adjusting to do!

Ill post up Vits replies once he takes a look at everything for me.
sockr1 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 05:04 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
I can't wait to get the FP... But I figure that I will wait until these bugs are all sorted out. Thanks for making a clean thread that I can follow along with
Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
interesting feedback on the knock on cylinder 3.

I show knock on cylinder 3 as well and when I drag the cursor over my entire datalog, it is always between 150-200 for the knock readout - this is constant at all RPMs and gears.

It would seem odd to me that every single one of us has actual knock on cylinder 3, lol.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

for those that are getting random knock counts, are you datalogging with the flashpro itself or a laptop? a few datalogs ago Vit told me to datalog with the laptop since the flashpro wasn't logging knock errors correctly.

i just checked my last datalog (cal 8), and i have 10 knock counts over a 20 minute drive. i had 6 counts in cylinder 5, 3 in cylinder 4, and 1 in cylinder 2.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
my datalogs were done directly with the Flashpro - I don't have a laptop to run it through.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
interesting feedback on the knock on cylinder 3.

I show knock on cylinder 3 as well and when I drag the cursor over my entire datalog, it is always between 150-200 for the knock readout - this is constant at all RPMs and gears.

It would seem odd to me that every single one of us has actual knock on cylinder 3, lol.
Same exact problem with mine as well. No matter the driving conditions, gear, rpm etc, I always have those jumps. Glad im not the only one experiencing this glitch.

for those that are getting random knock counts, are you datalogging with the flashpro itself or a laptop? a few datalogs ago Vit told me to datalog with the laptop since the flashpro wasn't logging knock errors correctly.

i just checked my last datalog (cal 8), and i have 10 knock counts over a 20 minute drive. i had 6 counts in cylinder 5, 3 in cylinder 4, and 1 in cylinder 2.
I was told to datalog with the FlashPro unit because the laptop files take a long time to download and upload.

Ill play with datalogging with the laptop and see what I have this time.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

I was told to datalog with the FlashPro unit because the laptop files take a long time to download and upload.

Ill play with datalogging with the laptop and see what I have this time.
the laptop datalog files are actually a lot smaller than the Flashpro unit files. let us know how it comes out with the laptop
Old 05-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Pro

Just played around with my 2nd calibration and wow the car is a beast now. It is very strong, especially once you get it out on the highway.

I had troubles before with my A/FR with all of the mods I have done, the car just couldnt handle the increase in air flow and was dumping too much fuel in the mixture. Now that everything is corrected, it runs like a champ. I can't stress enough how badly the TL-S needs this once you have a hefty amount of bolt ons, and especially some PnP work. The stock ECM trying to fix this just doesnt do the car justice like the FlashPro does and i still have more tweaking to go on my car, im not fully done my etune.
Sonnick (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Pro

Also the datalogging feature on the laptop does work properly, its the datalogging on the FlashPro unit itself that does show knock. So there is a way to check it, you just have to drive around with the laptop to see it.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:26 PM
All motor

^ Great to hear man. Are you gonna be the first to run a raised rev limit?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Pro

^ Great to hear man. Are you gonna be the first to run a raised rev limit?
As much as I would love to, and as strong as I think the stock valvetrain is, I just am not too sure as to how much the car could handle all of that. What do you think would be safe, if at all?

I do eventually want to do bisi turbo cams and in the process I will do valves retainers etc. The car only has 65k on it but I do enjoy spirited driving so with a raised rev limiter, I just am weary about doing that haha. Any input from guys with more experience on this and in depth head work, I would love for you to chime in on this.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:05 AM
All motor

To be honest, I don't know how strong the TL-s valvetrain is. I do know that it is stronger than the Accords though, because we can use it as an upgrade. Yungone would know. I honestly wouldn't take it any higher than 7200. Stock is what, 6800?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
Also the datalogging feature on the laptop does work properly, its the datalogging on the FlashPro unit itself that does show knock. So there is a way to check it, you just have to drive around with the laptop to see it.
The FlashPro's incorrect on-board datalogging of knock on cylinder # 3 will be fixed in the next software update. Until then, datalogging with your laptop will give you the correct values for cylinder 3 knock count.
The following 3 users liked this post by hondata:
AccordFlex (05-24-2013), sockr1 (05-24-2013), Sonnick (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hondata
The FlashPro's incorrect on-board datalogging of knock on cylinder # 3 will be fixed in the next software update. Until then, datalogging with your laptop will give you the correct values for cylinder 3 knock count.
Thanks for the update on this issue... Any update as to how the launch control feature will be addressed so that we have a proper launch control feature that wont fuel cut in all gears before the set redline?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
The launch control fix is also in the next software update.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
I want launch control.....
Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hondata
The launch control fix is also in the next software update.
Good stuff. Any idea when that software update will be coming out?

Originally Posted by NvrDwn
I want launch control.....
Its fun
Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 AM
TLX_Type S

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an 07 Type S 5AT with K&N drop-in filter, RV6 HFPC, XLR8 longtube J-Pipe, P2R Gaskets and TB Spacer and the Hondata Flash Pro. I'm currently working with vittuned.com for tuning. Eventually I would like to get it on the dyno and see what numbers everything is putting down. So far it seems pretty good with the tuning and the process with Vit.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Pro

Hey Hondata,

I was wondering if there was any sort of programming you could incorporate for the TLs that would eliminate the "tighten Gas Cap" error code that always pops up on these vehicles. This is a very common problem these cars face and Im not sure if it does anything to the car as far as performance goes, but I know it's at least pretty annoying to get all the time.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 PM
TLX_Type S

AccordFlex.....I have had the same issue. There is a service bulletin out there for the gas cap issue. If you get that error code and have no DTCs, then its the purge control valve/solenoid that needs to be replaced. Acura just replaced mine free of charge yesterday. So far no gas cap message.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rockfordmtx
AccordFlex.....I have had the same issue. There is a service bulletin out there for the gas cap issue. If you get that error code and have no DTCs, then its the purge control valve/solenoid that needs to be replaced. Acura just replaced mine free of charge yesterday. So far no gas cap message.
What year and mileage is your car? Did you get it replaced under warranty or extended warranty?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM
TLX_Type S

I have an 07 Type S and had it replaced under the extended warranty. I have 88K miles on my car. They also replaced the Hands Free Link. It wouldnt connect to my phone. Almost bought a new phone but went to the HFL display and it kept saying booting up....now all that stuff works.

Last edited by rockfordmtx; 05-28-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Pro

Not to be off topic but that purge solenoid/valve replacement Acura just quoted me $273 and 236 w/Honda employee discount to replace this part. I think that I can live with the light that pops on for that much.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 PM
TLX_Type S

My extended warranty cover it but here is the part number through Delray Acuras website. Its only 88 bucks....its only a couple bolts and two vac lines.

36162-RDV-J01 VALVE, PURGE CONTROL SOLENOID 001 2007 TL 117.53 88.15
Old 05-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Pro

Yeap, I will be doing this myself to get rid of this code.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:41 PM
ReDevil

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Excited to order one of these soon!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Pro

I just datalogged my 5th tune from VitTuned and the car is running like a champ. So far my datalogs have been...

1. 20 minutes easy driving, no WOT, no Vtec.
2. 20 minutes with 1700-5000 rpm WOT in 3rd
3. 20 minutes with 1700-5000 rpm WOT in 3rd
4. 20 minutes with 1700-5000 rpm WOT in 3rd
5. 20 minutes with 3000-6900 rpm WOT in 3rd

Vit has been very responsive so far with the tunes and answers any questions I have shot at him. Sometimes I submit a datalog to him around 11pm and I receive a new tune in about 4-5 hours which is amazing.

I also asked him about raising the rev limit a bit higher and this was his response, "I don't really see a big benefit to running a higher rev limit on this motor -- usually larger motors like this don't rev too much higher than stock very happily".
Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

when you say "20" minutes with xx RPM to xx RPM wide open throttle what exactly does that mean??

How do you drive wide open throttle for 20 minutes from 1700-5000 RPM? lol sorry if this sounds stupid
Old 05-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Pro

You basically drive around for 20 minutes or so per datalog and you do 1 pull of 1700-5000 rpm WOT in that 20 minutes so that he can check his alterations every time.
vietxquangstah (05-30-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Pro

Just wanted to report a few things about what happened today. Last night after a 1st-3rd hard pull, 5 mins later the car began to bog like a diesel truck and subaru mixed. Thought maybe I ripped a Precat like ILC, but after 20 minutes the car threw a P0305 code which is a random misfire in Cylinder #5. After some research at work since I work for Honda, we pulled everything apart and unfrotunately the damage was not too good.

The spark plug threads were shredded and the original factory plug had became loose and started bouncing around in the tube to the cylinder. Luckily we put a camera down inside the head and there was no scoring on the cylinder wall. However the top metal part of the plug was missing. Im guessing it was shot out the exhaust because we could not find it, now was it melted to a valve or top of the piston. so we flushed everything out with brake cleaner, vacuumed it all out and helicoiled the tube so that a new plug could be placed in. Luckily, there was no damage made to anything as I caught it pretty quickly.

I did a datalog a few days ago before this issue, and I also did one tonight after we addressed everything so that I could have a new comparison as to how everything is running. I wasnt sure if that issue would correspond to how the tune was made. I just shot both over to Vit for analysis and will be doing my next datalog for him shortly.

I just want to reiterate that this problem was not from the eTune from Vit, it was a fluke problem that others have run into as well with or without the FlashPro.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
^ spark plug ejection is a well known issue with the J motor. Stupid cyl #5. Good thing no major damage keep up the good work.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 PM
ReDevil

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Whats the rough mileage on the plugs? You said factory, so I assume original right? Was that a Denso or NGK? And I thought I read everything about the TL lol Missed that totally.

I actually got my Flashpro today, but my car is still down with a stripped caliper mount hole. Super excited to get started with it
Old 06-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
^ spark plug ejection is a well known issue with the J motor. Stupid cyl #5. Good thing no major damage keep up the good work.
I caught the damage just in time. Cylinder #4 was loose as well. Just glad it wasnt #2, that is a bitch to get to.

Originally Posted by r3devi7
Whats the rough mileage on the plugs? You said factory, so I assume original right? Was that a Denso or NGK? And I thought I read everything about the TL lol Missed that totally.

I actually got my Flashpro today, but my car is still down with a stripped caliper mount hole. Super excited to get started with it
Mileage on the plugs are 65k, they are original. I knew I wanted to change them, but just never got a chance yet. i was literally planning to do it this week then this happens.

I highly recommend you check your plugs out and make sure that they are tight so you can avoid this problem. Let us know if you have any questions about the FP when you are using it.

Quick Reply: FlashPro, Who has it and all thoughts?