Exhaust? Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:29 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Exhaust? Mounts?

Hey everybody, a newcomer here. Well, not quite a newcomer. I'm familiar with mods and doing extensive work myself (engine swaps, etc), it's just been years since I've even bought an intake or turned a wrench for anything other than brakes or repairs. I had an Integra years ago with all kinds of mods, at one point a Contour SVT (yeah it was Ford but it was sick), and even farther back a Ford Ranger with a 302 V8 (that was a blast, I miss that thing.) Suffice to say I know my way around a car.

Anyway, here's where I'm at - I've got an '05 TL 5AT that I've owned since new with, get this, 128k miles on it and not a single mod. Yes, it's factory, all OEM.

I've been poking around at different forums and everyone here seems to know what the hell they're taking about. So, I thought I'd reach out and ask for some help.

First, I need to do something about the engine mounts. I'm on at least my second set of OEM mounts, and two of them are in need of replacement again. However, since I've been out of the loop so long, I don't know where to even look for different options for aftermarket mounts. Last place I knew of was Energy Suspension.

Second, I want to finally do something with the exhaust. The entire OEM system is fine except 25k ago I replaced the rear precat as it was throwing a CEL and now the front precat is doing the same. I got to thinking that I don't see the logic in putting a new $400+ OEM precat on there; I should just upgrade the exhaust since I have to spend money on it anyway and the last places I used to look were DC Sports and Borla, lol. Hell, I've wanted to do mods on this TL for years because of all the potential it has, I've just been wrapped up in work all this time.

Anyway, since I'm droning on, I'll get to the point - help someone who's been out of the loop for so long and tell me where to look to find some options for aftermarket motor mounts and some options for complete aftermarket exhaust systems.

Thanks dudes -
Old 09-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Vendor excelerate sells aftermarket motor mounts that are much stronger than OEM ones, but transfer more vibrations to the car. For the exhaust, the ATLP one (www.acuratlparts.com or vendor aznbo) is probably the best one out there, though it requires cutting to the rear bumper and type-S exhaust.

For your cats, are you sure that its the cat and not an 02 sensor? There are 2 options for you:
1. Ritchie V-6 precat deletes, they get rid of you front two cats completely
2. ATLP high flow cats
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 AM
6th Gear

Thanks for the info - I don't mind the vibrations to the cabin; it's about time I started enjoying this thing anyway. I'd rather cut back on the wheel hop, etc, caused by these poor OEM mounts. Believe it or not, still on the OEM halfshafts.

About the cats, it is the cats. I thought the same as you with the rear precat. I can't remember the code b/c it's been about a year, but it was a 'below efficiency threshold' type code. Replaced both O2 sensors off that bank and I still got the code.

I don't mind removing the cats with the Ritchie suggestion; hell, I prefer it. And, I'm not worried about emission inspections as I have friends still that do that here, but my main concern is: won't putting the precat deletes in there throw a CEL for sure? The O2 before the precat is going to read that same as the O2 after the precat (both banks), and that's sure to throw at least one code. How do we get around that?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mounts: Innovative Mounts
Intake: AEM

Richie's Setup: R-V6 Performance has a full straightpipe option for our car, it replaces both precats, the factory collector pipe and also the 3rd factory cat, all for under the price of a catback exhaust, he is going to be a vendor on here soon, until then, send him a PM (private message), but you will need 5posts first, Richie's username is "Richie V6"
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ShakeTheDustOff
Thanks for the info - I don't mind the vibrations to the cabin; it's about time I started enjoying this thing anyway. I'd rather cut back on the wheel hop, etc, caused by these poor OEM mounts. Believe it or not, still on the OEM halfshafts.

About the cats, it is the cats. I thought the same as you with the rear precat. I can't remember the code b/c it's been about a year, but it was a 'below efficiency threshold' type code. Replaced both O2 sensors off that bank and I still got the code.

I don't mind removing the cats with the Ritchie suggestion; hell, I prefer it. And, I'm not worried about emission inspections as I have friends still that do that here, but my main concern is: won't putting the precat deletes in there throw a CEL for sure? The O2 before the precat is going to read that same as the O2 after the precat (both banks), and that's sure to throw at least one code. How do we get around that?
You trick the 02 sensor by moving it out of the tube via something to do with sparkplugs (sparkplug socket???) and then you put the 02 sensor in that and back into the exhuast. That way there is a bubble of clean air there and then all the rich exhaust passes past the 02 sensor and it will never know.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:55 PM
6th Gear

Ok - so, for the mounts, do you know a website for "Vendor Excelerate"? I'd like to compare those to the Innovative Mounts which I already found.

Now, for the exhaust, do you have a website for Vendor Aznbo and for R-V6 Performance? And I guess the only place to find ATLP is acuratlparts.com, right?

Thanks again everyone. I'm learning, lol
Old 09-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ShakeTheDustOff
Ok - so, for the mounts, do you know a website for "Vendor Excelerate"? I'd like to compare those to the Innovative Mounts which I already found.

Now, for the exhaust, do you have a website for Vendor Aznbo and for R-V6 Performance? And I guess the only place to find ATLP is acuratlparts.com, right?

Thanks again everyone. I'm learning, lol
here is aznbo187's profile, you can contact him here: https://acurazine.com/forums/members/aznbo187-184952/

Excelerate:
https://acurazine.com/forums/members/excelerate-25144/
Old 09-28-2008, 02:05 PM
6th Gear

More fun - I tried both those links and this is what I got:

ShakeTheDustOff, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. [*]
Old 09-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Well that sucks

For excelerates website go to www.excelerateperformance.com

For aznbo go to www.AcuraTLParts.Com

For Richie V6 go to www.r-.ecrater.com/ (Damn blocks add a V6 and P after the r-)
Old 09-28-2008, 05:57 PM
6th Gear

EXTREMELY helpful - thanks. I'm looking forward to getting in the loop. Seems TL mods aren't as easy to come across as I thought they would.

Hey - how many engine/trans mounts on our 5ATs? I thought there was a front, side, and rear, but I hear there is two other mounts, possibly trans mounts. Your thoughts?

Allen
Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
You can find most of our pricing on store.excelerateperformance.com but feel free to call us, PM us, email us or IM us on AIM.

We have the mounts in stock, we also have our own exhaust for the TL and TL-S, and we're working on a J-pipe too. It should be out shortly.