DYNOs - Before and After AEM + CT Catback

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
A few people with Comptech clutches have had problems. They re-use the stock pressure plate and it has been known to break under hard use. The stock clutch in the 2nd Gen CL has held up fine with well over 300whp. No need to upgrade the clutch on your N/A 3rd Gen TL's guys/girls.

I will tell you the stock clutch on the track slips. after a few passes on the street no problem but when you slip it just a little and go for 2nd its curtians. its not the clutch it's the pressure plate that is weak. this is why i am looking for rps or clutchmaster
Old 11-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I never had a problem with the clutch slipping... just the tires:

http://photos.imageevent.com/mrsteve...50826_0020.AVI

http://photos.imageevent.com/mrsteve...51009_0002.AVI
Old 11-15-2005, 10:10 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm looking into a clutch for my TL as well. I have had several issues with it slipping also. I would imagine it could get pretty bad over time especially if you had a charger on the car. I notice it mostly when it's well heated up and when slipping the clutch under hard driving. Steve, do you know if the older CL clutch is the same as ours?

D.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Team Owner

I think it is identical. A call to Comptech or one of your local dealer contacts could help confirm this.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

D,

The transmission is identical internally to that found in the 2nd Gen CL-S. I would assume the clutch is as well.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:08 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Dealer contacts confirm that hardware is the same for the Clutch and Pressure plate. But it does have a different flywheel. Maybe this has something to do with the occasional slippage issue.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Not only were the two dyno charts done on different dyno's, the first one is uncorrected and the second one has SAE correction. For true comparison, all pulls should be performed on the same dyno, using the same correction among other things. The dyno procedurs should be carried out correctly with each pull as well. Things like letting the engine heat up to operating temp and allowing heat soak to set-in, fan placement(and number of fans)..ect. All variables must be duplicated to get a true reading of what your mods have done to the performance of the engine.

CJ
Old 11-26-2005, 07:18 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by I-MOD
Dealer contacts confirm that hardware is the same for the Clutch and Pressure plate. But it does have a different flywheel. Maybe this has something to do with the occasional slippage issue.
Well the Comptech clutch isn't designed to hold any additional power; it's mainly just to match the different feel of the lightweight flywheel. Really not worth the price of admission IMO.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:19 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TeamXRSX
Not only were the two dyno charts done on different dyno's, the first one is uncorrected and the second one has SAE correction. For true comparison, all pulls should be performed on the same dyno, using the same correction among other things. The dyno procedurs should be carried out correctly with each pull as well. Things like letting the engine heat up to operating temp and allowing heat soak to set-in, fan placement(and number of fans)..ect. All variables must be duplicated to get a true reading of what your mods have done to the performance of the engine.

CJ

And even then it's still just an estimate. The same car could be dyno'd under the same conditions and the output could change by 5-10whp.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrsteve

And even then it's still just an estimate. The same car could be dyno'd under the same conditions and the output could change by 5-10whp.

absolutly!!, So we keep all variables constant to keep these estimates as accurate as possible(even though it is not perfect at all). But, if you are tuning and get 50-100 pulls in while tuning, using the proper dyno procedures it can be very accurate(for the sake of tuning).

The more pulls you do the better "average" you can get from the pulls.

CJ
Old 02-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

Help

IM A NUB WHEN IT COMES TO MOD'N MA MECHANICS... anyone in southern cali(ie: san diego) that knows any good shops to get a turbo/supercharger and various other parts to mod ma TL??? whats a good price for all this stuff... and i only want maybe a boost of 70-80 hp jst enough to say i have 350 hp in ma TL....
Old 02-21-2006, 11:22 PM
CSI
Instructor

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
This past weekend i had the chance to run my TL on the same dyno as the first run(about 1 year ago). 5AT model.

2004: ~20,000 miles on the odometer. Injen CAI, Comptech Catback. 202 to the wheels.

2005 ~50,000 miles on the odometer. Injen CAI, Custom HKS single outlet exhaust, Sunauto hypervoltage/ground kit. 212 to the wheels.

A 350z with CAI and greddy exhaust put down 216 on the same dyno.

It sure as hell must be nice to put down 250 to the wheels.
u only got 202whp with injen CAI & comptech catback?

how much whp on the 04-05 stock TL?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:38 AM
321 whp SAE

Originally Posted by inan0therlife
IM A NUB WHEN IT COMES TO MOD'N MA MECHANICS... anyone in southern cali(ie: san diego) that knows any good shops to get a turbo/supercharger and various other parts to mod ma TL??? whats a good price for all this stuff... and i only want maybe a boost of 70-80 hp jst enough to say i have 350 hp in ma TL....

to come close to 350 wheel horsepower you need the supercharger and e-shift pro cats.. i'm at 309 with the supercharger alone "to the wheels"
Old 03-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll find out shortly with my 05 TL/AT with AEM CAI and Magnaflow exhaust. Katech Racing is offering to put my car on the dyno for free ( I know the guy who builds the Lemans engines there). And they may help me tune the car up for better performance. I trust them immensely! They just built a 687 rwhp Cadillac CTS-V!
Old 04-09-2006, 12:26 PM
2004 TL coming

Originally Posted by empathy
it's not even that great on the rsx. you should see it on the ITR's engine (b18c5) they have vtec and they have secondary butterflies that open. basically sounds like vtec is engaging twice :P
b18c5's dont have secondaries

i think you are talking about the b18c1 (GSR Engine)
Old 07-28-2006, 06:18 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have dynoed my Trans Am on the same day on the same Dyno within 10 minutes of each other and i made 27 more horses on one pull than another. I also made less than another ls1 with similar mods. But when we went to the track i ran consistanly for 5 runs and pulled on the other fbod all 5 times. Dynos are hard to gauge, especially 2 different dynos. Also, some dynos read risiculously higher than others.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:40 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman
I have dynoed my Trans Am on the same day on the same Dyno within 10 minutes of each other and i made 27 more horses on one pull than another. I also made less than another ls1 with similar mods. But when we went to the track i ran consistanly for 5 runs and pulled on the other fbod all 5 times. Dynos are hard to gauge, especially 2 different dynos. Also, some dynos read risiculously higher than others.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=dyno+pitfalls
Old 08-11-2006, 05:08 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
This probably isnt the right thread for this question but I dont want to start a new thread to have it answered. Its basically about the different types of dynos that are out there.

I've seen both the kind of dyno where you drive onto a ramp and leave the tires on the car and go...

I've also seen the kind where you remove the front tires and attatch two machines to each rotor and dyno the car that way.

Whats the difference between the two and what type of hp variation can you expect by using one over the other?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:02 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

Yes! I ordered my AEM CAI and very excited lol.. is it easy to install? or should i get it perfessionally done?
~Jason
Old 09-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aznpersuasion
Yes! I ordered my AEM CAI and very excited lol.. is it easy to install? or should i get it perfessionally done?
~Jason
I am curious too. I just ordered my AEM CAI today. I am hoping install time comes in under 2 hours. Can anyone answer how long it took to get professionally installed?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Same Dyno, Same temps, Same engine coolant temps and temp. Same Tire pressure all help keep the results good.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
I am thinking you have a 3rd gen TL possibly with a warranty still in place? Escondido Acura will install a S/C for you and maintain the warranty. If you are not warrantied then TY Tipton @ Tipton Racing is a great person to do the mod. There is not a turbo kit available currently for the 3rd gen.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I really want a CAI but im still worried about water being sucked it. LIke when on rainy days on the highway, following behind a car with a constant mist of water being shoot up from the wheels. Will that hydrolock? Because i do alot of highway driving
Old 10-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whatjones911
I really want a CAI but im still worried about water being sucked it. LIke when on rainy days on the highway, following behind a car with a constant mist of water being shoot up from the wheels. Will that hydrolock? Because i do alot of highway driving
not even close to hydrolocking the car in that case. it takes a lot to hydrolock a car. you need to fully submerge the intake in water for it to even get all the way up to the engine.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Registered Playa

it's not even that great on the rsx. you should see it on the ITR's engine (b18c5) they have vtec and they have secondary butterflies that open. basically sounds like vtec is engaging twice :P
You are thinking of the GSR. The R has a single plenum intake manifold. The GSR has secondary butterflies.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by whatjones911
If you were thirsty and the sprinklers were on in your yard, how much water do you think you could drink if you went out there with a straw sticking into the spray pattern and started sucking? now cup your hands and gather a big puddle and suck, then you will get something to quench that thirst. As long as the intake tube is not fully submerged in deep water hydrolock will not occur.

Besides it would require you to be very heavy into the throttle to create enough suction to pull a 3.5" dia. column of water vertically a couple feet, and if you were in that deep of water under that much throttle you deserve hydrolock!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your input guys! Now im confident in getting a CAI.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:24 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
to come close to 350 wheel horsepower you need the supercharger and e-shift pro cats.. i'm at 309 with the supercharger alone "to the wheels"
309HP "to the wheels" is blatent NONSENSE ! There is NO WAY the SC alone can add 100HP. Someone is pulling your leg. BTW My prio car came stock with 349HP and put 280HP "to the wheels". It was a normally aspirated v8 and in 2001 was the fastest production car you could buy. Of course, new it was expensive but that's also why I bought mine used. It was a 4.9 zero-to-sixty car stock. Other reports show the S/C added to these TL's only bringing about 40HP (which would place "Hp to the wheels" around 250
Old 12-07-2006, 08:42 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah it's incredible how much of a power gain you get from an intake alone, I was screwing around with my TL and removed the filter (highly unorthodox) from the air box. With that alone I noticed a significant power gain, I mean the car litterally chirped all through first gear even with VSA turned on. I wasn't able to check how the car would react at higher speeds with the air filter removed however.

Later on I decided to remove the air box and just replace the whole airbox setup with a Cone filter instead, and to be honest it seems as if power decreased, I've realized that removing the airbox hindered engine response, so I think I'll try a K&N filter with the stock airbox and see how that goes, although with the cone filter alone it sounds very aggressive, although not as cool as when I had the same cone filter set up on my '04 MDX.

Even though the CAI from AEM is only a couple hundred bucks, it's too much for me to spare right now, so I'm trying to think of alternative and cheaper ways of adding performance. I need to save up.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:19 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Stated as a TRUE NOOB. There is NO TURBO available for this car.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ndabunka
309HP "to the wheels" is blatent NONSENSE ! There is NO WAY the SC alone can add 100HP. Someone is pulling your leg. BTW My prio car came stock with 349HP and put 280HP "to the wheels". It was a normally aspirated v8 and in 2001 was the fastest production car you could buy. Of course, new it was expensive but that's also why I bought mine used. It was a 4.9 zero-to-sixty car stock. Other reports show the S/C added to these TL's only bringing about 40HP (which would place "Hp to the wheels" around 250
its nowhere near unheard of for forced induction( in this case s/c) to add 100 whp over baseline N/A numbers. When ever you can increase effective compression on an already high static compression engine it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that a 100whp increase is not far off with the right amount of boost pressure and the correct tune. Its been done again and again. Silly domestic boy. Lol. Typical internet garbage spreading at its finest right there.

CJ
Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 AM
321 whp SAE

you are nonsense.. leave your ignorance somewhere else... 40 hp??? get informed bro... my #'s are consistent with all the 6mt supercharged tls.. bone stock dynoed is around 230.. do the math asshole.. i had my car dynoed about 4 times.. consistent results..
Old 01-13-2007, 09:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are a few of us well over 300 whp. The s/c adds about 60 whp and the procats are roughly 20 more whp.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:01 PM
wdp skyhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3PUTT
I have noticed a lot of CAI performance inquiries. Since I have not noticed anyone posting any before and after dynos, I suggest that we sticky this in the P&P forum.

Below are the links to the dyno pull images and the original threads from months ago. Enjoy!!

BASELINE:
http://img227.echo.cx/img227/5715/baselinedynob6vp.jpg
>>Original Thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/fuckd-up-tidal-wave-kansas-112685/

AFTER AEM CAI + Comptech Catback:
http://img258.echo.cx/img258/5590/ttpdynob9ff.jpg
>>Original Thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114656
nice gains i think i will go with the fujita cold air and ur stock pulley. hopefully i get some nice gains i will wait and see if someone else comes out with an exhaust for the tl
Old 01-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Instructor

those old itr's are nice but have you ever driven an rsx with an itr motor in it?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DC5 SLEEPER
those old itr's are nice but have you ever driven an rsx with an itr motor in it?
I haven't, but I do love my Comptech SC'd RSX. I'm running 10psi and Toda header. What fun!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

nice to see my old post as a sticky still. makes me proud. too bad i only owned the car for 20 months.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Real Estate Investor

I will do a test soon once i get some funds together and parts.

I will be installing parts and dynoing at a friends local fabrication shop.

I will dyno stock, with AEM, then either Comptech or Custom exhaust, then E-shift pro cats, then the S/C in that order.

Main thing is to find the parts for a good deal.

I am dying to see the actual step by step gains. Have to use the dyno while it is available...
Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neef
I will do a test soon once i get some funds together and parts.

I will be installing parts and dynoing at a friends local fabrication shop.

I will dyno stock, with AEM, then either Comptech or Custom exhaust, then E-shift pro cats, then the S/C in that order.

Main thing is to find the parts for a good deal.

I am dying to see the actual step by step gains. Have to use the dyno while it is available...
sounds like a great project. i loved this car. the only real drawback i saw was that it was FWD. everything else is great but all that power placed in the front just frustrated me.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:05 PM
-=2005 TL=-

Hey guys, I don't want to impede on the thread, but can you guys please just go on this thread and just add your names to the petition even if you guys already have exhausts, whether comptech or not, whether you want an exhaust or not, i need names (bodies) to sign up on the petition so we can get GReddy to manufacture us a catback...Thank you for your cooperation. Here's the website:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153880

Quick Reply: DYNOs - Before and After AEM + CT Catback