DIY runner removal After manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY runner removal After manifold

Let Start here sence i thought about writing this half way through.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks interesting. but what re we doing? looks pretty major.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gatdammit
looks interesting. but what re we doing? looks pretty major.
Removing intake runners to have them ported and polished to match the intake manifold that is being port matched to the throttle body, and the manifold is being ported to remove any factory casting marks. I'll take pictures and dyno as soon as it's done.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by beachexotic03
Removing intake runners to have them ported and polished to match the intake manifold that is being port matched to the throttle body, and the manifold is being ported to remove any factory casting marks. I'll take pictures and dyno as soon as it's done.

Holy schmeckle!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
good write up... but some of the guys that are not familiar with their engine bay will be completely lost

the op is showing you how to install the Intake Runners which excelerate sells ported...
Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much are the gains supposed to be?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:29 PM
A Black TL

Not much.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
How much is not much and where in the powre band?? low end torque? High RPM power? Whats the benefit of port and polished intakes?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stillhere153
good write up... but some of the guys that are not familiar with their engine bay will be completely lost

the op is showing you how to install the Intake Runners which excelerate sells ported...

Yes I definitely fall into this category. Thanks for the pic. It helps. So is this mod really going to help?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:06 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Not much.
When the hell are they going to ban this guy... Check with powerrevracing.com... There's some pretty good gains throughout the powerband

I am on my blackberry so I can't post the dyno chart but I am sure excelerate will be posting one when he see's this thread
Old 04-28-2009, 02:12 PM
A Black TL

My cuzin did this to his car 04 TL, and didn't get much. Y would u ban me for stating the truth?? This mod is alright for 400$, but really if u got money y not.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Duh

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
My cuzin did this to his car 04 TL, and didn't get much. Y would u ban me for stating the truth?? This mod is alright for 400$, but really if u got money y not.
Hey, did you cuz port match the manifold? Did you cuz remove casting marks in the intake manifold? Did you cuz bore the throttle body? Did you cuz port match the runners to the cylinder heads? Did you cuz hook up a vafc? To change the curve? If you answer no to 3 things that I talked about, then shut the hell up. Mrs. I know everything. Because this set up if acute. Will at least gain 30Hp if done correctly. Hmmm Increase volume increase velocity, Hmm increase fuel, Hmm increase timing or retard? Hmm getting a new map sense from speed of science. Any more questions from the negative gallery? In the end this will give some tuners on this page an idea of how much power the mod’s will achieve after done correctly.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Nice project! Keep us updated on the progress. How much are paying to p&p your runners?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Majofo
Nice project! Keep us updated on the progress. How much are paying to p&p your runners?
A family member of mine works at www.levelperformance.com in fremont ohio. He quoted me for the total job minus the throttle body. $300 for runners intake manifold porting. plus port matching when the throttle body returns to me from www.maxbore.com
Old 04-29-2009, 03:48 PM

damn.. those are good prices for all the work that's involved for the intake manifold & runners. What's the turnaround?

Also what are you boring your T/B too? I believe RacingHart did 70mm successfully. I have an extra T/B and I'm still up in the air about what I'm going to do.. I'm guessing you're going to be using wideband sensors. I'll have to checkout those speed of science map sensors as well. GL on everything!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
good luck with the 30 hp gain
Old 04-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey, did you cuz port match the manifold? Did you cuz remove casting marks in the intake manifold? Did you cuz bore the throttle body? Did you cuz port match the runners to the cylinder heads? Did you cuz hook up a vafc? To change the curve? If you answer no to 3 things that I talked about, then shut the hell up. Mrs. I know everything. Because this set up if acute. Will at least gain 30Hp if done correctly. Hmmm Increase volume increase velocity, Hmm increase fuel, Hmm increase timing or retard? Hmm getting a new map sense from speed of science. Any more questions from the negative gallery? In the end this will give some tuners on this page an idea of how much power the mod’s will achieve after done correctly.
I'm kinda lost when it comes to all the parts, but I think I know what you're getting at (more air? faster air?) Can you still add a S/C after you do this? Or how will it affect everything else. I'm trying to learn!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:35 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

The 30hp won't be top end... It'll come throught the powerband ie. Like 30hp more at vtec range...

My boy wanderer pnp the runners and the intake manifold

His shit pull so hard downlow
Old 04-30-2009, 12:54 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Almost spot-on...

one problem... i am pretty sure the VAFC will NOT be able to advance the timing... only retard it... in fact, i dont think ANY aftermarket piggy back is capable of it (greddy emanage, aem fi/c, vafc)

With a N/A setup, you need to advance timing.. not retard.... retarding is for F/I systems

and, FYI, the VAFC-2 is better for our cars, but you should get the AEM FI/C 1910.... its definitely the best box to be used for the 3G TL

good luck

--- did you happen to take pre-install dynos??
Old 04-30-2009, 03:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Almost spot-on...

one problem... i am pretty sure the VAFC will NOT be able to advance the timing... only retard it... in fact, i dont think ANY aftermarket piggy back is capable of it (greddy emanage, aem fi/c, vafc)

With a N/A setup, you need to advance timing.. not retard.... retarding is for F/I systems

and, FYI, the VAFC-2 is better for our cars, but you should get the AEM FI/C 1910.... its definitely the best box to be used for the 3G TL

good luck

YES search mustang dyno.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost spot-on...

good luck

If I remember correctly the GEB could only retard timing or something along those lines, the VAFC has no timing control what so ever, just fuel trimming pretty much.

Has for the port/polish, did this on my ride and I noticed more with just the IM then when I did the lower runners afterwards it felt a tad better, feels like it revs up a bit quicker and has a tad bit more pull.

As for removing the lower runners, one of them must be removed first otherwise they wont come out I think it was the front bank runners, but I could be mistaken, either way who tries this will see what I mean. Also becareful to remove the fuel rails with injectors still in them carefully! You can chip the ends of the injectors, which doesn't render them useless but if you can avoid doing it then by all means

As anyone thought about the more expensive extrude honing process? Perhaps doing the IM and lower runners at the same time.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
If I remember correctly the GEB could only retard timing or something along those lines, the VAFC has no timing control what so ever, just fuel trimming pretty much.

Has for the port/polish, did this on my ride and I noticed more with just the IM then when I did the lower runners afterwards it felt a tad better, feels like it revs up a bit quicker and has a tad bit more pull.

As for removing the lower runners, one of them must be removed first otherwise they wont come out I think it was the front bank runners, but I could be mistaken, either way who tries this will see what I mean. Also becareful to remove the fuel rails with injectors still in them carefully! You can chip the ends of the injectors, which doesn't render them useless but if you can avoid doing it then by all means

As anyone thought about the more expensive extrude honing process? Perhaps doing the IM and lower runners at the same time.
I've done extrude hone and port matching to my 3.5 stroked CL-S. I'm not sure it was really worth the money. The lower runners are so short there is not reason a good porter cannot do these by hand. As for the upper manifold, well the design is slightly different on my manifold and it definitely made my funnels and plenum chambers super smooth. Unfortunately I do not have many pictures but this gives you the idea.

There were a lot of casting marks previously. But I have noticed Acura has gotten very good with their intake systems. My 4G upper manifold is very smooth. Almost no point at all to touch it. At most just port matching.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they have a flow bench? If not then its pretty pointless to port them.

A family member of mine works at www.levelperformance.com in fremont ohio. He quoted me for the total job minus the throttle body. $300 for runners intake manifold porting. plus port matching when the throttle body returns to me from www.maxbore.com
Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Hey CleanCL,

What was the end result in your opinion? Is it worth the feria?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Suzuka Master

There are parts of the upper manifold that might be hard to access, so the extrude hone does clean up casting marks in that area. It's good for maybe a few horsepower. I think it would only be worth it for forced induction. Otherwise my suggestion is to stick with port matching for naturally aspirated setup.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Instructor

I'm really not sure if it's all or some people on this forum, but sure is a lot of dumb asses. Jesus you guys bitch when you don't have hp. And then when someone is sharing experiments to gain hp you knock them? My honest though would be unless you tried it your self shut yhe hell up.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Are you talking to me? Might want to reread the posts if you are...

But I never got my parts flow tested on a bench at extrude hone, they wanted a lot extra for that.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:42 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

CleanCL I am pretty sure that was not for you
Old 05-01-2009, 06:52 PM

I think it was directed towards JS08TLS & TL|GTX
Old 05-02-2009, 02:53 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CleanCL

Looks better then what I did with the top although I think I managed to remove a little more material, if anything just do it by hand first. Is it just me or would anyne else just want to take 2000grit o that and make it shine!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Ya it was directed towards TL GTX. I was on my blackberry at the the time. I'll be recieveing the parts later this week. I have finals and then free time to take pictures and post how to install and the results.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:07 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i cant wait for for pre-post dynos.... i always wanted to get this done, but refused to until i saw proof in the pudding... hardcore dyno #'s.... i wouldnt do this, unless it gained atleast 10-15whp

Good luck man!!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Instructor

i cant wait for for pre-post dynos.... i always wanted to get this done, but refused to until i saw proof in the pudding... hardcore dyno #'s.... i wouldnt do this, unless it gained atleast 10-15whp

Good luck man!!
You shall have your dyno numbers soon.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I'm really not sure if it's all or some people on this forum, but sure is a lot of dumb asses. Jesus you guys bitch when you don't have hp. And then when someone is sharing experiments to gain hp you knock them? My honest though would be unless you tried it your self shut yhe hell up.
It's good to see someone finally getting into the motor instead of just bolt-ons. IMO, none of these mods are worth the trouble by themselves but porting the heads, upper and lower manifold, and a larger TB will all compliment each other nicely.

I'm huge on the small details. I assemble the lower intake manifold (GN but it still applies) with gaskets and put a little torque on the bolts. Any gasket material that shows in the ports is trimmed away. Same with the upper manifold and TB gasket. I match every part so well that when you run your finger over the transitions you can't feel them. Little stuff like that adds up and best of all, it's mostly free. It's the attention to detail that allows me to run in the 10s on worked stock parts. There's no reason why a "cleaned up" bolt on TL should be able to hit mid 13s.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
It's good to see someone finally getting into the motor instead of just bolt-ons. IMO, none of these mods are worth the trouble by themselves but porting the heads, upper and lower manifold, and a larger TB will all compliment each other nicely.

I'm huge on the small details. I assemble the lower intake manifold (GN but it still applies) with gaskets and put a little torque on the bolts. Any gasket material that shows in the ports is trimmed away. Same with the upper manifold and TB gasket. I match every part so well that when you run your finger over the transitions you can't feel them. Little stuff like that adds up and best of all, it's mostly free. It's the attention to detail that allows me to run in the 10s on worked stock parts. There's no reason why a "cleaned up" bolt on TL should be able to hit mid 13s.
Thank you. I plan on doing all of the above. I'm going to hopefuly get started this weekend. I'll take nice detail picture so everyone will be on the same page.