DIY: Racing Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
subscribed.....i might get some NRG seats in the next few weeks....
Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 PM
The Track Terror

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Swoosh, what other equipment will you be getting? Harnesses? Harness/roll bar? Brackets? And type of seats? Reclinable or full buckets?
Old 12-17-2011, 01:11 AM

that is the reason why I havent gotten it yet....still trying to figure out what all I will need hahaha....

but yeah getting the NRG full bucket 12lb seats ($250) FRP-310 (medium would suffice ) and the 4 point safety harness($100) :

but i wanna make sure if I dont wear the stock seat belt the seat belt alarm wont eat my head up LOL....I havent decided on the bracket....
Old 12-17-2011, 01:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by 94eg!
Are you guys worried about roll-over protection when using 5-pt harnesses?

Warning: Tampering with oem airbags is illegal in many states.

Warning: Use of aftermarket seats and/or seatbelts can cause injury or death.

To read more on the safety aspects of the racing seats and racing harnesses, please see the thread linked below.

(click here) Safety aspects of racing seats and racing harnesses in street cars (click here)

[/

Last edited by Inaccurate; 12-17-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 AM
B A N N E D

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cokorote
@the fenda rolla

Thank for sharing with us fender rolla; Do you track your TL? How do you like those aftermarket seat so far? Any more picture?

@phatrick

What kind of recaro did you order? Please share with us in this thread.
Integra Type-R DC5 Red Recaros
Old 12-17-2011, 06:24 AM
The Track Terror

Inaccurate, thank you again for that excellent thread on the safety of racing seats and harnesses in street cars. Everything that you and the SAE mentioned held true in my own serious rollover experience. The seat, harnesses, harness bar, and helmet all worked together to keep us firmly planted and prevented movement, which I'm most certainly convinced saved us from injury or death.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:23 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Warning: Tampering with oem airbags is illegal in many states.

Warning: Use of aftermarket seats and/or seatbelts can cause injury or death.

To read more on the safety aspects of the racing seats and racing harnesses, please see the thread linked below.

(click here) Safety aspects of racing seats and racing harnesses in street cars (click here)

[/
Hah! I guess reading is fundamental huh? Thanks for doing all that research and sharing with us. Another old wives tale bites the dust.

^Now do you really think this cheap Bride-knockoff seat has any crash-worthiness whatsoever? I wouldn't buy anything unless it was OEM or FIA approved. Recaro SR3 or SR4 (Integra DC2 & DC5) are proably the easiest OEM options, but are JDM market seats so may not be rated for larger US occupants. Also the Recaro sport from the Mitsubishi Evo's or Honda Accord Euro R are a good OEM option.

As for aftermarket, your pretty much limited to fixed back shells. I like the Status FIA FRP shell. You can even build your own custom versions on their website. Just keep in mind their carbon & kevlar shell upgrades are not tested or FIA approved. Prices start at ~$700 each though for non-custom cloth covered versions.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:00 AM
The Track Terror

^^^ not for nuthin, but the *not so* "cheap knockoff" seat I had the pleasure to roll multiple times in faired rather well...no visible cracks or other damage...of course there might've been unseen/microscopic damage...and who knows what would've happened to them in a front, rear, or side collision, but all I know is those knockoff carbon kevlar seats (and harnesses) saved us...
Old 12-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Hah! I guess reading is fundamental huh? Thanks for doing all that research and sharing with us. Another old wives tale bites the dust.

^Now do you really think this cheap Bride-knockoff seat has any crash-worthiness whatsoever? I wouldn't buy anything unless it was OEM or FIA approved. Recaro SR3 or SR4 (Integra DC2 & DC5) are proably the easiest OEM options, but are JDM market seats so may not be rated for larger US occupants. Also the Recaro sport from the Mitsubishi Evo's or Honda Accord Euro R are a good OEM option.

As for aftermarket, your pretty much limited to fixed back shells. I like the Status FIA FRP shell. You can even build your own custom versions on their website. Just keep in mind their carbon & kevlar shell upgrades are not tested or FIA approved. Prices start at ~$700 each though for non-custom cloth covered versions.

it always comes across as if your trying to attack me

well you need to know why a person is going for a particular type of seat....what is he going to be doing.....I am NEVER going to track my car....prolly take it to the 1/4 mile strip once in a blue moon....and besides this is my DD....

so a seat which is economical/light/provides all the safety features/used by others on this forum/is the one am going with.....

i havent done my research yet...i am still about to start my diet....

so if the above post was a personal attack i would like it if you tone it down....if it wasnt then nevermind this post
Old 12-17-2011, 02:17 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Don't worry, I love you. I guess I just sound like a douche when I type.

BTW: The streets are MORE dangerous than the track.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:26 PM

lol i love you too (sorry i have been programmed to do this) lolol....

:gheyhug:

I would need a lot more than 2cents bro....i am still doing my research so as to what/how/when so I will be posting NOOB questions to learn more and hope you will post your 2cents....
Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The seat belt tensionner seems pretty straight forward with 2 diodes ( orange to yellow and lt green to yellow ) to trick it into thinking its still there. as far as the OPDS goes its a matter of what signal it sends to the srs unit, probably a constant voltage straight from the white wire considering that safety systems are almost always built in the On means ok Off means trouble manner to ensure the wires are not shorted or cut or else.
The following users liked this post:
Inaccurate (12-21-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Safety Car

^ I agree with mdrolet77. I can not comment on the wire colors because I have not checked, but I agree with his logic.

The seat belt reminder is easily bypassed by connecting two of the wires. I had done that before I removed my entire SRS. I have not given any specific advice because I can not remember the exact wires that I connected together. But like mdrolet77 said, you are just closing the circuit by connecting the wires versus the switch in the buckle.

The OPDS is most likely just sending a constant 12v signal to the main SRS unit like mdrolet77 said. But, this would need to be confirmed before attempting.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:28 AM
B A N N E D

Got my recaros would really like some help getting them in!
Old 12-23-2011, 09:25 AM
The Track Terror

Hey Phatrick, what brackets did you get?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:55 AM
B A N N E D

Havent ordered them yet haha but I will end up buying the ones specific to our car from cipher.

I have a sparco harness bar + harnesses I still need to install too.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:36 AM
The Track Terror

excellent...one thing to mention, when I told Cipher about which sliders I had (Sparco), they drilled threaded holes that were supposed to line up but they didn't. No big deal, it's tough to have things line up perfectly especially when you don't have both pieces. I just had to drill them out and drill more metal so they could line up. Maybe you could tell them to drill holes that allow you to adjust the bolts...

Like this...

Old 12-23-2011, 11:39 AM
The Track Terror

And if you need help with harness and harness bar placement just let me know!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:44 AM
The Track Terror

BTW, here's the bracket sticker...passeneger side had one, driver didn't...

Old 12-26-2011, 02:54 PM
B A N N E D

Just ordered my brackets! Just need hardware for the harnesses, L brackets for the harness bar and I think I'm good to go!
Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM
The Track Terror

Hey Phatrick, did you mention to Cipher the things I was talking about (slider holes)? And what are these "L brackets" for the harness bar?
Old 12-26-2011, 04:32 PM
B A N N E D

Yea I sent them a message asking to drill for the recaro sliders. Thanks for the heads up on that.

The L brackets would be to mount the lower arm of the bar. I am still using my trim pieces so I don't have anywhere to bolt that section without some brackets.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
B A N N E D

So if I tap that #19 wire on block A I wont have any srs warnings and no seat belt warnings?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:05 PM
The Track Terror

I believe you still will get the lights, this SRS is a tricky beast...try it though and report back...

As of now no one really knows how to trick the electronics (there's a bunch) into not tripping the warning lights when messed with...
Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by the fenda rolla
As of now no one really knows how to trick the electronics (there's a bunch) into not tripping the warning lights when messed with...
I know how to completely eliminate the entire SRS (and all airbags) with absolutely no warning lights or warning messages of any kind (incl seatbelt nag).

The problem is with trying to piece-meal the process. Like trying to remove one part but keep the other part functional.

Originally Posted by phatrick
So if I tap that #19 wire on block A I wont have any srs warnings and no seat belt warnings?
To the best of my memory and looking at the wiring diagram, if you supply a keyed 12V to the Pink #19 as I outlined, then there will be absolutely no warning lights or warning messages of any kind (incl seatbelt nag). This is more current setup for the past many years.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I know how to completely eliminate the entire SRS (and all airbags) with absolutely no warning lights or warning messages of any kind (incl seatbelt nag).

The problem is with trying to piece-meal the process. Like trying to remove one part but keep the other part functional.
Yea I guess that's what I was kinda getting at!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:08 PM
B A N N E D

Inacc you're awesome haha. Once my brackets come in and I put the seats in I'll report back with the results on that #19 wire. Cheers!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 AM
B A N N E D

First thing I noticed when I got the brackets was that they were way small. No surprise.. Put the driver side in with sliders and my Recaro and it's sitting pretty low. Kind of annoying -___o
Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Safety Car

Thanks for the update phatrick. Sorry to hear that the seating position did not work out for you. Can you post a pic? If I see your setup, maybe I can offer a way to raise the height some.

This is a good point for others. For anyone thinking about doing racing seats, be aware that the seating position is substantially lower than with the oem seats. And obviously, the racing seats offer very little height adjustment.

I am not saying that the low seating position is bad or good. Just to take it into consideration. I love the low seat position myself.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 AM
The Track Terror

I experienced the same thing, and I should have mentioned it earlier...what I did was buy longer bolts and metal spacers from Lowe's (grade 8) and put the spacers between the brackets and sliders. I raised it about an inch and a half and now the seating position is perfect...
Old 01-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I have a recaro bucket seat in my 2g cl. The brackets are custom made and the slider and side mounts are recaro. My driver seat is the Recaro SP-G III ASM Limited II Seat. It set me back $1700. I have a takata harness and shoulder pads. I also have 2 universal bars. One is the nrg universal harness bar. The other is a universal b/c-pillar bar that is also a harness guide bar. For passenger seat I am saving up for the recaro spg xl seat.

Here is a pic of when I was test fitting seat. Also my steering setup is works/bell short hub, works/bell quick release and mugen wheel. Just buy ones for the s2k, rsx etc.

I want to be able to use both the harness and have the stock seat belt functional incase I get pulled over. Need to figure out how to mount the seat belt section to the bucket seat. I saw this for porsche cars. http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/instructions/R9005.pdf Not sure if it will work tho. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
The Track Terror

^^^ Hey Brian, check out my pics in post #27 of this thread...I have the NRG harness bar bolted to my stock seatbelt locations and I still have my stock seatbelts installed and fully functional. Let me know if you need any more pics or advice...
Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by the fenda rolla
^^^ Hey Brian, check out my pics in post #27 of this thread...I have the NRG harness bar bolted to my stock seatbelt locations and I still have my stock seatbelts installed and fully functional. Let me know if you need any more pics or advice...
I was referring to the seat belt buckle section by the tunnel. I cant see from the pics how you installed it. For me it is originally attached to the stock seat which is now removed. I need somewhere to attach it.

Also for the part you attached behind the nrg bar on the b-pillar, did you leave the stock bolt in the seatbelt or did you remove it. Not sure if I can remove it on mine without breaking the plastic.

Last edited by brian6speed; 01-18-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM
B A N N E D

I'll try and post pics tonight

I have to still remove the carpet and panels and tap that srs module to get rid of the srs light.

On a side note, I tried to use the Pegasus harness eyebolts but they did not go into the stock rear location. How did you guys mount your harnesses?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 PM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by brian6speed
I was referring to the seat belt buckle section by the tunnel. I cant see from the pics how you installed it. For me it is originally attached to the stock seat which is now removed. I need somewhere to attach it.

Also for the part you attached behind the nrg bar on the b-pillar, did you leave the stock bolt in the seatbelt or did you remove it. Not sure if I can remove it on mine without breaking the plastic.
Hmmm...the Wedge Engineering bracket from Cipher Auto, or Wedge themselves, comes with a metal tab that the stock seatbelt bolts to. The one next to the center console you're referring to...You're does not have this? What bracket do you have??

And the NRG harness bar came with extra bolts for whatever mounting we need... I used those for the upper bolt (I think) and the stock retractor bolts (or the other way around)...I just bent and unscrewed the stock metal ring that is on them...did your harness bar come with bolts?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 PM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by phatrick
I'll try and post pics tonight

I have to still remove the carpet and panels and tap that srs module to get rid of the srs light.

On a side note, I tried to use the Pegasus harness eyebolts but they did not go into the stock rear location. How did you guys mount your harnesses?

Check out my pics in post #27 of this thread...rears are bolted down with stock rear seat belt bolts except for the driver's side right bolt (I used a bolt that came with the NRG harness bar)...Side harnesses are bolted through the rear seat bracket holes with stock seat bolts...front harnesses are bolted through front seat bracket holes with stock seat bolts...

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 01-18-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 PM
B A N N E D

Ah you have bolt in harnesses. I have sparcos that are snap in so I need to install eyebolts. I ordered some (per inaccurates advice) from pegasus, but my eyebolts aren't the same bolt on the front rears. I'm curious to how he got his on.

Anywho, thinking of using your advice and getting some load washers and putting them inbetween the sliders and brackets. The height is OKAY, but everything in his car is so high up and roomy that it doesn't seem right. I have trouble looking out over speed bumps and parking right now haha. (On stock suspension still)
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 PM
The Track Terror

ohhh, gotcha...yea, well my buddy has Takata's and they are snap in too...he just screwed the eyebolts to the stock rear seatbelt locations...but I think he did drill holes through the floorboard for the other ones! If you can, I would return those harnesses and get the ones I have (of course I'd say that!) because they are super easier to install with the stock seat/seatbelt bolts...and they're super cheap! $70 each! They're not camlocks, but for the price, who cares! They sure do the trick!

And I hear ya about the seat height... when I first installed my seats, they were completely slammed to the floor! I was like eff this! I could barely see over the steering wheel, and I'm 6 feet tall! So I kinda ghetto rigged it...I bought 2.5 inch grade 8 bolts from Lowe's and stacked 3 half inch nuts between the bracket and sliders (with washers in between each nut)...they're pretty darn tight, so there's definitely no movement, but not the absolute ideal...in a crash or rollover I still have faith in them (or I'm just completely nuts and I'm hoping for the best)...SO PLEASE, I take no responsibility for doing whatever any of y'all do! But now my seat height is *perfect*, I love my setup! It's gonna be great on the road course...

keep us posted on what you do...

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 01-18-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:01 AM
B A N N E D

Haha my sparcos aren't camlocks either. I might just shave off the bolt so it'll fit in the seat belt location on the bracket.

As for the height, I'm okay with it right now. I have the seat back more just propped higher. Kind of a pain cus the clutch I really have to extend for. I think I'll add just a few washers on each side so i can gain like a 1/4 of an inch. Either that or slam my car so I can see whats in front lol.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:03 AM
The Track Terror

^^^ nice!! Btw, do you plan on tracking your car? I forgot if you mentioned it...

Quick Reply: DIY: Racing Seats