Detailing!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008 | 09:08 PM
Pro

Detailing!

I am almost hating that i bought a Black TL. I bought a 2008 TL-S and loved the car but hating the upkeep of this color. I had a white TL and didnt have anytype of upkeep as much as this one. The point of this thread would be what can i do to keep swirls ( i know its impossible not to have some) from forming and also what is the best way to keep the shine. I use low foaming agent soap and use micro fiber wash mit and dry towels.
Old 06-28-2008 | 09:35 PM
Safety Car

All car-detailing people agree that black is by far the toughest color to keep clean. The easiest color is silver or grey.

Plus as you mentioned, black color is double trouble because black also shows swirls the easiest too.

To prevent swirls, you MUST hand wash the car YOURSELF. No drive-thru car washes, and not allowing anyone else to hand wash your car.

Swirls are caused by grit and dirt being rubbed against the paint finish during the washing and drying process. When washing, use approx 50 or 100 baby diapers (purchase at Walmart, Gerber 100% cotton). Dip a clean cloth (baby diaper) into the wash bucket ONLY ONCE. Wipe one stroke, flip the cloth around to a clean section, take another swipe, flip around to another clean section of the cloth. NEVER, EVER, dip the used cloth back into your soap solution because this will introduce dirt into your wask bucket. Change to a clean cloth between each body panel. Wash from top to bottom (taking horizontal strokes) because a car is progressively more dirty as you go lower. This way, you minimize dirt being picked-up on the cloth and being wiped against the paint.

The same approach applies to the drying process. Use multiple cloths (microfibers). I use one microfiber per body panel to dry. You never know when you might pickup a piece of grit on your "clean" dry cloth. Without you knowing it, you are now rubbing your car with "sandpaper". So as a safety measure, switch to a clean microfiber to dry each body panel.
Old 06-28-2008 | 09:52 PM
Team Owner

look at the Off Topic link for Wash and Wax section'
Every detailing tip known to mankind is there- with acura color specific threads too
Professional detailing info provided by several members, and especially by Patrick of ExcelDetail- who can also hook you up with great products based on your exact needs- he has helped more ziners restore stuff-- they though it was a new paint job....
check his site for info www.exceldetail.com

Since spending time in the wash and wax, investing some money in a UDM machine and the right products- my car is often mistaken for brand new

My 01TL- LGM parked next to another ziners 02 LGM, and its like a different shade/color on my car- lighter, brighter, and even more flake burst-reflective. The other car gets basic wash and wax- what a shame.
Old 06-28-2008 | 09:58 PM
Administrator

This thread belongs in the Wash & Wax Forum. Since we can't move threads into other forums, please repost there if you wish to continue this discussion.