Debating on uninstalling my CAI, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick
^ Ironically enough, his trap speed increased ~3mph lol. Not only that, but it was 30 degrees hotter out as well. 3GStealth, check the Density Altitude for the 2 days at the track then compare the corrected numbers. I bet despite the 30 degree difference, there is some other variable involved. Come to think of it, in your thread didn't you say you went to the track the first time with 'just RV6 V3 Jpipe?' And when you went back you had CAI/Jpipe/Type S cats/PnP runners?

It wouldn't take 30whp across the powerband to yield a 3mph increase. I gained ~5-10whp from 5000 to 6000 and ~10-15whp after 6000 RPM and my trap speed increased by 2mph uncorrected. Corrected trap difference was 2.5mph since the conditions were worse off than the day of my 102mph trap.
Each time I go to the track I only make one power mod at a time to try and see the power it made. I have all my slips and run conditions in my file. I will post them later when I have more time in my thread and we can compare. I think it is more important to focus on the trap speeds when comparing them since it is a better comparison to HP made where the ET is more related to traction.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
OP...way to ruin my name

I love the CAI...those codes are not CAI related....sometimes it takes the ECU couple miles and sometimes it takes the ECU couple days to get those codes....

PCD's should have defouler and even with the defouler at times multiple members get the codes....run some seafoam....reset your ECU....remove the O2 sensors and clean em....these are the 3 solutions which come to my mind....

now to your CAI....any cheap tubing will do, just make sure the filter is good....if those are the only 2 codes you are getting then i dont think you missed any connector (around the CAI) unplugged....

how many miles on your TL ?
Sorry bud, haha. I'll try the seafoam and cleaning option when I bore out the defouler holes to 3/8. Currently 102,xxx.

Originally Posted by Richie v6
You shouldn't get slow response codes if the defoulers are installed properly. The defoulers are shipped one turn back from protuding into the PCD and pointed up. You can also try enlarging the orifice to the defoulers. People with this issue have been having luck with a 3/8" orifice.
Yeah, I tried 1/4, but I think I'll give that a go along with swoosh's cleaning suggestion.

As for the CAI/codes thing, I guess it was really just coincidental.

To piggy back off the CAI, 1/4 mile thread thing. And yes, I have a quality filter in there, not the crap one it came with.

I'm at 14.606 at 98.18 mph with a 2.340 60' with the mods in the sig (minus the motor mounts)
Old 11-08-2012, 11:39 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
^ Work on that 60' and you will be in the low 14s. I'd advise shifting the car yourself to ensure it shifts at redline for the most power.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
this thread is dumb. leave it on. /story
Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AccordFlex
this thread is dumb. leave it on. /story
Ty
Old 11-10-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by AbyssPearlTL
Ty
great attitude!
dont dumb down to his level!
Old 11-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
great attitude!
dont dumb down to his level!
Exactly. I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm going to experiment with the defouler holes tomorrow. We'll see what happens!
Old 11-11-2012, 04:57 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

btw did you ever clean the defoulers/O2 sensors? That should help you solve the CEL issue

I would do that before you drill biller holes in your defoulers
Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Instructor

btw did you ever clean the defoulers/O2 sensors? That should help you solve the CEL issue

I would do that before you drill biller holes in your defoulers
Well, project day was monopolized today by re-installing the rear motor mount (factory this time). PITA when its new to get it to work. At least it was for me.

Anyway, I have tried the cleaning idea in the past. I was thinking about it more, I think the holes just aren't large enough. I've done a few bolt ons, and I'm sure the computer is encountering more exhaust gasses since the A/F ratio would be the same.

Anyway, it's nice (but strange) not to have the car feeling like its going to fall apart when idling in gear
Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 PM
All motor

So you have the 75a front/side mount and the OEM rear? And it doesn't vibrate?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Here's a crazy idea. Take off your intake for a few days and see how you like.

My guess is the car will feel much stronger at most all rpms, will have more throttle response and feel snappier, but with much less noise.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Dave, c'mon. 10-15 whp can't even be felt on the butt dyno, but you're saying you think his car will feel "much stronger at most all rpms" after going back to the stock intake?

I gained a corrected 1.2-1.4 mph after installing HFC's and I honestly couldn't swear the car felt any faster. I wanted to say it was stronger >5500, but again I wouldn't have put money on it. Yet the traps indicated a good 10-13 whp gain. But you think his car will feel much stronger after putting his stock intake back on?

You're implying he's losing massive power with the CAI, which I don't buy. If he was running a short ram in 100 degree temps, it'd be a different story.

As far as I know, the only reason the G loses power with a CAI (and I bet it's not enough to feel seat of the pants), is because the G is a MAF car. The new intake pipe has a larger diameter, effectively slowing the incoming air speed. The MAF sensor in the pipe sends this information to the ECU, which thinks there's actually less air coming in and cuts back on the fuel, negating any gains or even causing a loss in power.

TL's use speed density, which by nature is less sensitive to intake changes. If you can show some data that shows these cars lose power with a CAI, I'd like to read it.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sonnick
So you have the 75a front/side mount and the OEM rear? And it doesn't vibrate?
Yep! Replaced the rear one with a new stock mount. So we went from very little engine movement (yes, the mounts stop almost all of that) and while in gear, the keys would rattle, steering wheel shook like a bastard, glove box wanted to fly off, etc.

Now.. with just that one mount changed, no rattles, perfectly quiet idling in gear. A little more engine movement, but my sanity is happy again.
The following users liked this post:
Sonnick (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Well, project day was monopolized today by re-installing the rear motor mount (factory this time). PITA when its new to get it to work. At least it was for me.

Anyway, I have tried the cleaning idea in the past. I was thinking about it more, I think the holes just aren't large enough. I've done a few bolt ons, and I'm sure the computer is encountering more exhaust gasses since the A/F ratio would be the same.

Anyway, it's nice (but strange) not to have the car feeling like its going to fall apart when idling in gear

I have probably the most intake side mods (4" intake, polished SHAWD TB, pnp SHAWD Manifold, pnp runners) and I do not have a CEL from the O2 sensors....I did and when i ran seafoam, it cleaned em up and the code never came back....

Yep! Replaced the rear one with a new stock mount. So we went from very little engine movement (yes, the mounts stop almost all of that) and while in gear, the keys would rattle, steering wheel shook like a bastard, glove box wanted to fly off, etc.

Now.. with just that one mount changed, no rattles, perfectly quiet idling in gear. A little more engine movement, but my sanity is happy again.
well running different mounts can end up cracking your PCD's....keep an eye on them
Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The reason I don't have a CAI is because for the money I spend on it I don't feel that my increased speeds of...ZERO...is worth it. Butt dyno 100%...at least on a fully stock engine and exhaust. Engine eye candy that's it.

Somebody wrote that he got 3 tenths faster on the qmile with one on. Crack cocaine and timed runs don't go together.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:31 PM
All motor

^ Once you do mods like PCDs/Jpipe/exhaust, you will want a CAI. You would probably gain a solid 10-12whp with a CAI after those mods because you would be 'getting out' (exhaust) much more air than you can take in. Thus, once you open up the intake side, you will be able to keep up with the exhaust side. Not only that, but holy sh1t does it sound good.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Instructor

well running different mounts can end up cracking your PCD's....keep an eye on them
How? Any proof of instances where this has happened?

Isn't that what the flex pipe on the J pipe is for..? For motor movement?

Last edited by AbyssPearlTL; 11-12-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I would think the flex would be ok. It is more than likely designed with the stock motor mounts that allow a lot of movement.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM

The flex pipe in the jpipe allows for slight movement....but when you have different mounts you are allowing motor movement in 1 direction....heat and vibration/sudden movement when you step on it cracks the metal....

search and you will find couple members (around 2-5, not a big big figure) were having some issues with the pcd's when they were running different motor mounts....
Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Instructor

The flex pipe in the jpipe allows for slight movement....but when you have different mounts you are allowing motor movement in 1 direction....heat and vibration/sudden movement when you step on it cracks the metal....

search and you will find couple members (around 2-5, not a big big figure) were having some issues with the pcd's when they were running different motor mounts....
Maybe other people can chime in. Or they can post links to those other articles. I'm not debating you on it, it just seemed odd that on the factory rubber, all that movement is ok. But when it's reduced movement (2 poly, 1 oem) it's not ok. The motor still moves in the same direction.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 AM

^^^ as you said, not here to debate, I put my in from what I have read on the forums....if you want more info, you can always search for it
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Instructor

^^^ as you said, not here to debate, I put my in from what I have read on the forums....if you want more info, you can always search for it
well thank you for the heads up!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richie v6
You shouldn't get slow response codes if the defoulers are installed properly. The defoulers are shipped one turn back from protuding into the PCD and pointed up. You can also try enlarging the orifice to the defoulers. People with this issue have been having luck with a 3/8" orifice.
Tried this today, we will see how it goes.