Custom Intake build/Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Devour.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Custom Intake build/Ideas

Hey everyone! I've done a fair amount of research on the topic of intakes, and have decided that I would like to fabricate my own. Here are some of the ideas I've had on the subject:

To me, it seems like the route the air travels through the stock intake system is unnecessarily long and complicated (to many bends).

https://acurazine.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1351131431

I plan on utilizing the existing piping, but routing it in a more direct manner. I would like to bring the bottom end of the intake down near the lower driver side grill (to provide maximum airflow, like a CAI) while also cutting out the intake resonator.

My idea is to utilize the extra area of the grill to cram as much cool air into the intake tubing as possible by installing a "collector" on the end of the piping. The collector will fit up against the grill and act as a funnel, gathering all of the air being blown through this area and FORCE it to travel through the intake piping. I would like to use a rectangular collector if possible, to really take full advantage of all that free flowing air, but if for some reason I can't make it fit, I may use a larger circumference round collector.

This also leaves a lot of opportunity for things like leaves and bugs to be snatched up by the intake, so I plan on covering the end of the collector with some sort of small grate, metal mesh (gutter guard?). At least this would help prevent larger things from being taken in, while still allowing the air to pass through easily.

The red box on the diagram below represents how/where the collector will sit and connect to the rest of the intake.

https://acurazine.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1351132900

Let me know what you guys think! All feedback is welcome! Would like to hear everyone else's ideas/opinions! Maybe we can refine the idea further!
Attached Thumbnails Custom Intake build/Ideas-before.jpg   Custom Intake build/Ideas-after.jpg   Custom Intake build/Ideas-screen-shot-2012-10-24-10.13.01-pm.png   Custom Intake build/Ideas-screen-shot-2012-10-24-10.14.30-pm.png   Custom Intake build/Ideas-final.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
JCharged (10-25-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Devour.

I really noob'd the pics up...... lol, sorry guys
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Check this out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=custom+cai

Last edited by anx1300c; 10-25-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Devour.

Originally Posted by anx1300c
I got a great deal of inspiration and knowledge from this thread when I had read through it a while ago. I wanted to experiment mostly with the idea of a collector (acting as a funnel) for the flowing air.

I will also most likely use some type of heat wrap around the piping, just to ensure that the cold air STAYS cold. There are a lot of really great threads on custom intakes and data comparisons between SRI, CAI, and stock (AIT's).

If anyone else has any ideas for this project, let me know!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am going to be doing something just like that. I have a 2006 5at with a type s front bumper and open fog light holes. I am planning on running a hose directly to the drivers side hole then striaght up to intake box. I have removed the resonator box as well. I would think this would provide the car with a good amount of fresh cool air.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Devour.

Originally Posted by knoxtl
I am going to be doing something just like that. I have a 2006 5at with a type s front bumper and open fog light holes. I am planning on running a hose directly to the drivers side hole then striaght up to intake box. I have removed the resonator box as well. I would think this would provide the car with a good amount of fresh cool air.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking about it! Why leave some of that fresh, cool air flying AROUND the intake line when you could funnel it in/force it to take the route you want?! hahah.

Let me know how yours goes and be sure to post some pics! If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
I don't know, with something angled that low into the grill housing you are more susceptible to having water come up through the intake. Especially if you are lowered and hit a nice puddle.

With using the stock intake parts to create a CAI, enough air will flow in while keeping a somewhat downward angle so water won't come up. It looks like a nice idea though, but also you if you have fogs installed you will have to build something around them as well.
The following users liked this post:
swoosh (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 01:14 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ What Chip SAID !!!
Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Devour.

Originally Posted by The Machine
I don't know, with something angled that low into the grill housing you are more susceptible to having water come up through the intake. Especially if you are lowered and hit a nice puddle.

With using the stock intake parts to create a CAI, enough air will flow in while keeping a somewhat downward angle so water won't come up. It looks like a nice idea though, but also you if you have fogs installed you will have to build something around them as well.
Yeah I've been thinking about the water exposure as well. I don't know the exact angle that the collector will sit at until I'm actually in there haha. I'm not lowered YET, but I plan on it (most likely just 1.5" drop using springs). Do you think, If I had the option when I'm constructing, that it would be better to slightly angle the collector downward to prevent water damage? Still behind the grill, but not parallel to the ground?

Still figuring some things out. The benefit (in terms of water damage) with this over a traditional CAI though, is that this collector will not RETAIN water like a cone filter would if it happened to get splashed. The cotton/fiber of the filter would act like a wet rag, and just hold the moisture there instead of allowing it to run off easily.

Trying to take everything into consideration!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If you're concerned about water drill a 1/4" hole on the lower part of the elbow so if you do suck water in it'll drain out before reaching the filter. I've seen them on factory M3 intakes before.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Devour.

Originally Posted by jpm3071
If you're concerned about water drill a 1/4" hole on the lower part of the elbow so if you do suck water in it'll drain out before reaching the filter. I've seen them on factory M3 intakes before.
Will def keep that in mind! Thanks man!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
I hope you're not going to get your "collector" from Home Depot. Google NACA ducts.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Devour.

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
I hope you're not going to get your "collector" from Home Depot. Google NACA ducts.
Why would I need a remote controlled collector? lol. That just seems like a lot of unnecessary money for this mod.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
I think if you could build something in such a way to keep a nice downward angle, you could possibly prevent any water from being sucked up all the way through the custom intake. I definitely wouldn't have anything sitting totally level with the grill insert though.

You could do as one person said and maybe drill holes in certain parts of the intake. They would have to be kinda big though, because small holes would not be able to drain such an influx of water. However, if the holes are too big a lot of air would be escaping through them negating what you are trying to create in the first place.

Whatever you decide to create, just don't go driving through a river and you should be ok.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Devour.
Why would I need a remote controlled collector? lol. That just seems like a lot of unnecessary money for this mod.
remote controlled?

NACA ducts start at like 16 bucks. Their inlet shape is optimized for maximum airflow, unlike the dryer ducts. Something like this:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...48/Naca_Ducts2
Old 10-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Devour.

Originally Posted by The Machine
I think if you could build something in such a way to keep a nice downward angle, you could possibly prevent any water from being sucked up all the way through the custom intake. I definitely wouldn't have anything sitting totally level with the grill insert though.

You could do as one person said and maybe drill holes in certain parts of the intake. They would have to be kinda big though, because small holes would not be able to drain such an influx of water. However, if the holes are too big a lot of air would be escaping through them negating what you are trying to create in the first place.

Whatever you decide to create, just don't go driving through a river and you should be ok.
Hahahah true true. I will try to keep my car out of the local lakes

Planning on keeping the collector somewhat angled downward to prevent anything from getting SHOVELED in there lol. The holes are a good idea, but like you said, the goal of this is to provide as much air flow as possible.

On the bright side, I think almost any kind of direct intake flow is a vast improvement over the stock route of air lol
Old 10-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Devour.

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
remote controlled?

NACA ducts start at like 16 bucks. Their inlet shape is optimized for maximum airflow, unlike the dryer ducts. Something like this:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...48/Naca_Ducts2
Ohhhh now I gotcha hahah. That looks cool. When I googled NACA previously, this is what turned up http://www.aerosportproducts.com/nacavalve.htm

Didn't understand why that would be necessary. lol