Considering '05 TL. Some Performance / Parts Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering '05 TL. Some Performance / Parts Questions

Hello all,

I'm considering the purchase of a TL. I currently own a slightly modified S2000 that just really isn't practical for year round duty where I live. While I'm sure the performance isn't going to be the same, I think the compromise that the TL offers interests me a lot.

Anyway, here are my questions...

1. The suspension. I've read a lot of the A-Spec suspension on this site, and I'm sure a modified setup will be the first order of business. The Tein Flex setup, I thought I've seen pictures. Is it available for the TL? Also, is it EDFC compatible?

I was going to run that setup on the S2000, but I wanted a monotube setup for track use, but the TL obviously won't be seeing the track abuse my S2000 has / would've, so I think the compromise again would be acceptable. What is people's impressions of that setup on this car? Does it help prevent the "boating" that has been described with the stock suspension?

2. Is there an aftermarket LSD available for the automatic? I haven't decided on transmission at this point, but my goal with a TL would be a very quick, highway eating car. It needs to be quick, but won't necessarily be doing hot laps around Mid-Ohio.

Again, I love the manual in my S2000 but for a car like the TL, being a sport/luxury sedan, and the fact that I'll be moving to a larger metropolitan area fairly soon, I don't know if I want to have the hassle day in and day out. Not that it's a hassle, but ya know. Also, I don't know if I want to deal with the torque steer.

Guess that's about it. No one knows when the Comptech S/C will be released, so asking that would be repetitive. Being that this car is only sold in North America, is there a major lacking of aftermarket support as compared to the TSX or RL?

Just wanting some opinions from the resident motorheads. I'm trying to get excited about another car, and the TL is the only one that seems to really do anything for me in this price range (that, and the TSX, but having looked at both "not driven yet").

Thanks for any insight.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got rid of s2000 for the TL A-spec 6mt and have no regrets. If I had two cars I'd say that th TL and s2000 do not make ideal companions as the 6mt does just about everything a S can do with the exception of very tight twisties and a removable top.

I have no doubt that the TL could run lap times that are very close to the S if not better at Mid Ohio. Torquesteer is only noticible on very tight slow turns (keyhole) with wet conditions while accelerating hard, so it really is not a big deal. Honda did a very good job transfering 275 hp to the ground in a fwd car IMO.

The A-spec suspension is very solid with very little front or rear end dive.

The MT in the TL is better than the S with the only exception of little longer throws. No 1st to 2nd grind that was problamatic for the S in the first 4 years. Add a Voodoo knob or a short shift kit and your in business.

Not much in the way of aftermarket goodies, but CAI and Comptech exhaust are documented to add another 25+ ponies. I have the Injen CAI and plan to purchase the exhaust soon.

So if you are looking for a fast stright line people hauler for foul weather I think you might be dissappointed with the Auto TL, as Honda has not engineered their product for that niche. If you want a car that does many things well, then the TL may be that car; however the MT is light years ahead of the auto if you considering a "drivers cars" If you have to have an auto I'd say save the money and get a V6 Accord.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Cruisin'

Problem I've found with the TL (came from a BMW 325, a BMW 330 and an M Coupe...) is that the brakes suck. I like the car, but it just doesn't stop well. I've had a minor accident in the car where a lady in front of my reached down to get something and hit her brakes so hard (unintentionally) that her Murano's rear wheels lifted. Sad to say that her Murano had better brakes than my TL. Wouldn't have happened in any of the BMWs. Perhaps the 6MT with the Brembos would have helped, but either way, the brakes on the Auto are insufficient for the weight / HP of the car.

Otherwise it's a lot of fun!

Adam
Old 07-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Instructor

yes that's right, TL 5AT brakes suck, I have problems with my rotors since I turned 15K
MT will be far more fun factor than AT, but depends on trafic You have on daily basis...
Old 07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tein is a good idea, but from what I know right now it's not EDFC compatiable... no aftermarket LSD. But if I were you I wouldn't fix up the TL too much, just get some nice wheels and lower it a lil and you're done.... I would dump all of my money into the S2k, you'll get much farther with that car.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=hondafans]I got rid of s2000 for the TL A-spec 6mt and have no regrets. If I had two cars I'd say that th TL and s2000 do not make ideal companions as the 6mt does just about everything a S can do with the exception of very tight twisties and a removable top.

I have no doubt that the TL could run lap times that are very close to the S if not better at Mid Ohio. Torquesteer is only noticible on very tight slow turns (keyhole) with wet conditions while accelerating hard, so it really is not a big deal. Honda did a very good job transfering 275 hp to the ground in a fwd car IMO.[QUOTE]

the S can do a lot more than the TL. weight is a huge problem. i dont know how low of a weight you can get with the TL, but people have gotten 2400 or so with the S. once again, rwd > awd > fwd. mr > fr > ff. if the cars had equal drivers there were actually skilled, the S would win. smaller lighter cars will kill the TL in the turns. fwd has understeer problems. unless you rework the rear suspension and make it really stiff, it's going to have major problems rotating. please dont say anything about the comptech TL because they customized soo much crap that you would need 10,000+ to even get close to their car.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you all for the insightful replies. I think there's a point that I didn't make that would help us all here.

I'm not really looking for a car with the same performance or modification potential as the S2000. I'm looking at a sporty, practical alternative.

I maybe drive my S2000 at 50% of it's potential. I almost feel bad that I'm not taking full advantage of this car. It's an alright daily driver, but only during spirited driving does the car feel like it's doing what it's meant to be doing. And even at that, I'm still no where near using the car the way it was meant to be driven.

Basically I'm looking for a car that has decent brakes, a decent suspension that can corner carve at the spirited, but not insane, pace that I drive at. But also something that's good day in and day out. I've grown out of my "boy racer" stage, but a couple mods would probably be in store if I purchased this car, but I'm not trying to make it as good as the S2000 in terms of pure sports car performance. If I wanted that, I'd keep the S2000.

Thank you guys.