Comptech supercharger installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Comptech supercharger installation

would any body happen to have a diy on a 05 acura tl supercharger installlation it came with instruction it was kind of confusing especially the
ecu and the water pump part
Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd like to know. Although, I wouldn't mind letting the dealer take over this one, because they will warrantee it.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The dealership will do that? I didnt think they would want to have anything to do with a supercharger, and I would imagine they would charge you out the ass.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
They would. But it will be more than the item itself probably. Atleast thats what David McDavid Acura told me.

Last edited by d-townhakuzo; 07-02-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a pretty straight forward install...
Old 07-03-2010, 08:36 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
It seems easy.. Looks like the hardest part is cutting the engine cover to fit around the SC IF CT's installation guide is accurate.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:06 PM
.:dedicated:.

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001
The dealership will do that? I didnt think they would want to have anything to do with a supercharger, and I would imagine they would charge you out the ass.
there was even a dealership on acurazine that was selling one of these. if they sell it, they'd prob install it too
Old 07-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GrandeInter10
It's a pretty straight forward install...

But to help OP...
Waterpump or fuel pump?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
The CT instructions are fairly comprehensive, IIRC. Exactly what issues are you having? Be specific and we can try to guide you through it.

BTW, did you mean fuel pump? You're not supposed to be touching the water pump at all.

One other thing to note, if you hook up the ACM and get a CEL for a knock sensor, remove the intercept from the ACM and hook it back up as it was stock. I know that I had the issue as well as many others on the forums. I called Nate over at CT and he was the one that told me to just disconnect it and that there wouldn't be any adverse side effects.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Instructor

yes, sorry i meant the fuel pump it gave me a tool to press in the fuel pressure regulator i didnt have a vise so i put it on a jack and jack it up, so when i was jacking it
up it kind of push it in crooked and the tip of the FPR was a little bent anyway i put everything back on and start the car and everything was fine, i was hoping i did right,
Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Instructor

by the way after the installation every think was good except the intake temperature
was high the car wasnt over heating or anything, but everytime the temp goes to 160 or higher it seems to feel sluggish on a take off, but after 3000 rpm or so it pulls pretty good, is there anything i can do to keep it cooler with out causing an arm and leg
Old 07-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 213swampy
by the way after the installation every think was good except the intake temperature
was high the car wasnt over heating or anything, but everytime the temp goes to 160 or higher it seems to feel sluggish on a take off, but after 3000 rpm or so it pulls pretty good, is there anything i can do to keep it cooler with out causing an arm and leg
Invest in a methanol injection kit. I'm running the 50/50 water/meth kit made by AEM. Once I get on the throttle, I'll see intake temperatures drop to within 20 degrees of ambient.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

damn, alway wanna go supercharger but just couldnt do it, do to many reasoned.

@bmeyer u seem to know alot about supercharger. dose u do everythings by yourself or by someone else? cuase am been looking for someone dose this kinda stuff and wht part of Southern MN u r from? am also right around u. would be cool if u can hook me up bro.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Pro

Yeah, I do all my own work with the exception of dyno tuning. Though I'll street tune periodically whenever the atmospheric conditions change drastically.

Southern MN is about as specific as I get on the 'net. I prefer to keep some anonymity. One can never be too careful.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Intermediate

haha that wht i thought. try to PM u bro but seem like u dont excepted PM. it there anyway i can contact u?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Hey lol I guess you got it all put in ok? Glad I could help (phone advice over holiday weekend).
Old 07-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Instructor

would u happen to have any pictures of the aem water/methanol kit iinstalled
Old 07-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Hey lol I guess you got it all put in ok? Glad I could help (phone advice over holiday weekend.

sorry marcus for the holiday phone call thanks for the help!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 213swampy
would u happen to have any pictures of the aem water/methanol kit iinstalled
Pics here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/dyno-finally-%3B-749896/#post11440539

Scroll down about half way.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Instructor

nice where do you put the tank, and by the way how did you exactly stroke the motor
to a 3.6
Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Pro

Tank is the windshield washer fluid tank. If you look closely, you can see the black supply line coming from the bottom of the tank and going in to the right side of my pump. Blue windshield washer fluid (with NO ADDITIVES) is about 30% methanol and 70% water. Just add 2 bottles of yellow Heet to bring it up to 50/50. You can pull double duty with it - clean your windshield and cool your intake temps with it (amongst other things of course).

The 3.6L is basically a J37 crank in a J32 block with some extra goodies.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Instructor

thats cool i wouldnt never though of that. did you see a big difference in temperature. also where did you get the harness for the aem fic i look at boom slang but they didnt
have anything for the 05 tl with aem fic. im planing on getting a hbp but comptech said
i need to get it tune. ive been kind of reading up on it and it seems that mostly everybody is using a aem fic.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:12 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bmeyer
Tank is the windshield washer fluid tank. If you look closely, you can see the black supply line coming from the bottom of the tank and going in to the right side of my pump. Blue windshield washer fluid (with NO ADDITIVES) is about 30% methanol and 70% water. Just add 2 bottles of yellow Heet to bring it up to 50/50. You can pull double duty with it - clean your windshield and cool your intake temps with it (amongst other things of course).

The 3.6L is basically a J37 crank in a J32 block with some extra goodies.
hey thats right where i mounted my pump did you custom fab bracket for pump? or piece it together? nice!

yours,

mine,

only gripe i have is where you mounted the nozzle. should be further down, closer to the blower (on outlet, not on elbow) for the best possible distribution.

another thing, methenol is fairly inexpensive (6.00) where i live. instead of adding yellow heet to bring to 50/50, you should mix your own with distilled water. 4 gallons of meth makes 8 bottles of 50/50 for only 24.00. usually last me around 4 months or so
Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Pro

Where do you think I got the idea from? That was a custom fab piece of stainless steel. That was sort of rev. 1. I've since moved on to rev. 2 which is a little more stable and didn't require the ghetto monster zip-tie at the bottom.

Agreed on the nozzle placement. It was sort of a last resort because I wasn't about the rip the blower off of it *again*. Now that the blower is coming off shortly, I may change the positioning of it. Just need to come up with a nice way to cap this point in the elbow.

Where do you buy your methanol at? I've tried a few places around home but just get the "deer in headlights" look so I've learned to stop asking. You gotta love rural America.

swampy, I'd get the F/IC even if you don't run the HBP. Your car will thank you for it. To answer your question, I bought the Boomslang extension harness from King Motorsports and sent it and the F/IC lead harness to NVA-AV6 to have him make all the appropriate connections.

Keep in mind that a meth kit only runs when you're making boost so you won't see extremely low temps all the time. Having it spray when you're on the throttle, like I said, will drop the IAT to within ~20 degrees of ambient temperature which does help out with temps during normal driving as well.

One more word of advice, read up on all the talk going on lately regarding knock monitoring/management. It's not all that expensive and can save you a LOT of headaches down the road. Not to mention your car will make more power with something like a J&S Safeguard.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Nice installs. I've been putting these on the driver's side and it gets pretty cramped over there.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Where do you think I got the idea from? That was a custom fab piece of stainless steel. That was sort of rev. 1. I've since moved on to rev. 2 which is a little more stable and didn't require the ghetto monster zip-tie at the bottom.

Agreed on the nozzle placement. It was sort of a last resort because I wasn't about the rip the blower off of it *again*. Now that the blower is coming off shortly, I may change the positioning of it. Just need to come up with a nice way to cap this point in the elbow.

Where do you buy your methanol at? I've tried a few places around home but just get the "deer in headlights" look so I've learned to stop asking. You gotta love rural America.

swampy, I'd get the F/IC even if you don't run the HBP. Your car will thank you for it. To answer your question, I bought the Boomslang extension harness from King Motorsports and sent it and the F/IC lead harness to NVA-AV6 to have him make all the appropriate connections.

Keep in mind that a meth kit only runs when you're making boost so you won't see extremely low temps all the time. Having it spray when you're on the throttle, like I said, will drop the IAT to within ~20 degrees of ambient temperature which does help out with temps during normal driving as well.

One more word of advice, read up on all the talk going on lately regarding knock monitoring/management. It's not all that expensive and can save you a LOT of headaches down the road. Not to mention your car will make more power with something like a J&S Safeguard.
cools thanks for the advice, and if you dont mind me asking how much was the fuel
management with the harness and all the accessories for tuning, so i can have and idea of what
im going to spend.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Pro

Prices are all listed in the thread I posted. Give it a look.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try an offroad motorcycle or ATV place, they can usually hook you up with 100% methanol.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I was fortunate to find a source (Hyperfuels) close to me that allows me to pick-up from their store. This is a BIG advantage, price wise. If I had to pay shipping, the methanol would cost double with the shipping HAZMAT included in the price. Another perk is they sell VP Racing Fuel (click here) brand, which is considered to be the best methanol. Their main business is selling via the internet however, so feel free to include them as a source.

HYPERFUELS (click here)

And, this is their alternate website. Same company however.
BUYRACEGAS (click here)

I have not tried these sources linked below. I have these links saved as possible sources to try.

Speedway Race Fuels (click here)
World Wide Racing Fuels (click here)
CQ Concept (click here)
DT Chemicals USA (click here)

As a side note - For grins, I checked to see how much the shipping would cost if I had the methanol delivered via UPS. To purchase $30 of methanol, the shipping would had been $45 (just shipping + Hazmat). The total for $30 methanol would be $75.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 07-08-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:01 AM
3rd Gear

Acura dealers will install the supercharger for 1200.00 and they will warranty the work .
Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Instructor

hey bmeyer i see that you have the aem fic which model of the fic are you exactly using
is it a universal one. would to be able to provide me of the link of the fic you currently have install in your tl.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Former Whiner

I'm using 30-1910, I believe everyone else should be as well.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Former Whiner

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/AEM-Perfo...-pr-62865.html
Old 07-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Instructor

have you had any promblems with the with the aem fic. because i recently
went to a performance shop and its a well known one around dallas area anyway they told me that they had a promblem, after tuning for a couple
days the ecu would correct everything back to stock.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 AM
Pro

@swampy

There are 2 primary modes that modern cars (including ours) operate in. Open-loop and closed-loop. Under closed-loop, the car uses feedback from all of the sensors to continuously vary the fuel and timing trims. You can attempt to add all the fuel you want under closed-loop mode, but the ECU will dial it all back until it reaches its ideal A/F ratio.

Under open-loop, you can add as much fuel as you want. The ECU will not attempt to fight it. The catch is that open-loop is only active under near WOT conditions.

The F/IC does have functionality to skew the values from the O2 sensors in order to trick the car into thinking it is running too lean under closed-loop operation (if the car thinks it's lean, it'll attempt to add more fuel in to rectify the lean condition). The unfortunate part is that functionality isn't compatible with our primary O2 sensors. So for the time being, all we can do with ANY aftermarket unit is tune for open-loop conditions.

There are a couple of modules in the works (one by NVA-AV6 and one by me) to adapt the F/IC's O2 skew function to our cars, but they're not quite ready for prime-time yet. Once all of the bugs are worked out, we should have a pretty decent setup with the F/IC.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:01 AM
Instructor

@swampy

There are 2 primary modes that modern cars (including ours) operate in. Open-loop and closed-loop. Under closed-loop, the car uses feedback from all of the sensors to continuously vary the fuel and timing trims. You can attempt to add all the fuel you want under closed-loop mode, but the ECU will dial it all back until it reaches its ideal A/F ratio.

Under open-loop, you can add as much fuel as you want. The ECU will not attempt to fight it. The catch is that open-loop is only active under near WOT conditions.

The F/IC does have functionality to skew the values from the O2 sensors in order to trick the car into thinking it is running too lean under closed-loop operation (if the car thinks it's lean, it'll attempt to add more fuel in to rectify the lean condition). The unfortunate part is that functionality isn't compatible with our primary O2 sensors. So for the time being, all we can do with ANY aftermarket unit is tune for open-loop conditions.

There are a couple of modules in the works (one by NVA-AV6 and one by me) to adapt the F/IC's O2 skew function to our cars, but they're not quite ready for prime-time yet. Once all of the bugs are worked out, we should have a pretty decent setup with the F/IC.
thanks for the help so i should be fine for now just tuning it in the open loop conditions. so what the shop was telling me is some what true. because
they were talking about $750 for tuning the car. and by the way i just got
my aem water meth kit in yesterday was wondering how exactly did
get the low fluid level out of the oringinal tank and installing it in the
washer fluid tank. any help would be really good, i dont want to just
yank the it of the tank.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Pro

The fluid level sensor just pulls out. Check my dyno thread for pics to see where I mounted the sensor.

The spout on the bottom, however, has to be unscrewed. It takes a bit of finesse because there is a nut on the inside of the tank. When you add it to your windshield washer fluid tank, you'll want to find an O-ring that you can put around the threads on the outside of the tank to ensure a tight seal.

BTW, $750 seems pretty steep for tuning. Last time I had my car tuned, it was in the neighborhood of $200.

Last edited by bmeyer; 08-01-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does anyone know how long the extention shaft is for the comptech and the belt size?