Comptech Short Shifter Install/pics 3G Garage #A-086

Old 11-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just a quick question...will a 6 speed shift knob fit on a automatic pole? or do u need some kind of adapter??
Old 12-31-2006, 12:42 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write up jmbnova. I used your guide this morning and installed my first mod.

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:34 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

BRAVO on the write up! took me about 3 hours to complete the install. after i put her back together i took her out for a spin in the neighborhood. the first word to come to my mind was "s2000". in my driving experience, the most solid shifter feel and throw in my opinion has got to be the honda s2000, and this comptech ss feels VERY similar.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
i did mine yesterday, it took me and my friend about 4 hours, but that was because i installed the ipod radio adapter by blitzsafe too. the ss was well worth the time and cost!
Old 01-07-2007, 03:13 AM
Team Anthracite #100

This might help.....

I had a bitch of a time with the aluminum trim strips. While reading through the Acura ServiceNews Bulletins (https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/who-wants-give-me-%245-129196/) I came accross a Service Manual fix. It shows a new way to remove the trim. It may help the next guy.

Look at page two of the January '05 Bulletin for the new instructions.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:00 PM
'06 6MT WDP

I just installed the comptech SS this afternoon. The original post made it extremely easy. Took about 2 hours and that was with me taking my time on every step and double checking everything during assembly.

Comptech raised their prices so it's now $65 shipped from Excelerate (Excelerate@sbcglobal.net). Great vendor by the way. Fast shipment.

One thing to look out for in the instructions is that where it references 8mm bolts holding that metal bar down, mine were actually 10mm. No big deal.

I managed not to break any clips and everything is tight and rattle free.

All in all I would say this is the best bang for your buck mod out there. The shifter feels so much more solid now and the throws are much shorter. I would describe it as being a bit notchy but in a good way. Feels very precise.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:53 AM
Advanced

Anyone in LONG ISLAND

wanting to help me with this install? please let me know if anyone is down to chill and help me with this, and possibly burn a L or some food or something for the help ha ha message me ASAP
Old 05-18-2007, 07:31 PM
07 NBP TL Type-S

Revival lol

Haha old thread, but I got a question for anyone that has done this.

The only thing stopping me (litterally the ONLY thing, I have the SS in my hand as we speak, ordered it 2 months ago lol) is the fear of breaking trim clips and maring the area around the carbon trim. For those of you who did this with a butter knife, did you have any visible scratches or break any clips?

Also, I can go and pick this thing up first thing tomorrow morning --- Trim Removal Tool --- but im afraid it will scratch since it's metal.

Any advice?

O there is also this but I would have to order it. --- Nice Safe Plastic
Old 05-18-2007, 07:37 PM
'06 6MT WDP

Originally Posted by Bullpup

The only thing stopping me (litterally the ONLY thing, I have the SS in my hand as we speak, ordered it 2 months ago lol) is the fear of breaking trim clips and maring the area around the carbon trim. For those of you who did this with a butter knife, did you have any visible scratches or break any clips?

Also, I can go and pick this thing up first thing tomorrow morning --- Trim Removal Tool --- but im afraid it will scratch since it's metal.

Any advice?

Don't sweat it. I have the carbon trim and did it with a butter knife with a soft rag wrapped around it. Go slow and only pull in the immediate area where you have the knife / fingers under the trim. You will not break or scratch anything.

BTW, the comptech SS mod plus GM synchromesh FM makes the 6MT very solid and smooth. I used to have troubles going into 3rd like a lot of others. No more. Just today I revved out 2nd gear to pass someone and hit 3rd so hard I spun the tires.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:48 PM
07 NBP TL Type-S

lol ya my car has 1900 miles on it and I have 3rd gear issues. I brought this up to a service manager when i was getting a seat back fixed and he said "transmission problems are a thing of the past, usually associated with pre-04 TL's" *AHEM BULLSHIT COUGH*
Old 05-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

Any advice?

I felt the same way the first time. I was able to use the butter knife with no problems.

I had the 3rd gear issues too which was made worse with the SS kit. But replacing the fluid (GMSFM) changed all that. Like people have said, don't hesitate, I should have done this a long time ago.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:09 PM
07 NBP TL Type-S

about how much does it run to get my tranny fluid changed out to GMSFM.

Also what would be the price for the bottle alone if i do it myself, and how difficult is it?
Old 05-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Advanced

I'm an Idiot

While removing the stock bushing with the 2 wrenches (using Comptech's Instructions) I was readjusting my hold and moved the hand I was covering the bushing with when snap - the wrenches popped and the bushing went flying. I was outside and didn't even see where it went so I spent a couple of hours going through my neighbors yard and my driveway on my hands and knees but that thing is gone. Looks like I'm taking my wife's car to the dealership tomorrow to buy a new one. I just hope they have one in stock.

Anyway, for anyone doing this mod, learn from my mistake and keep your hand over the bushing at all times!!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Safety Car

about how much does it run to get my tranny fluid changed out to GMSFM.

Also what would be the price for the bottle alone if i do it myself, and how difficult is it?
This is where I got mine from:

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=41510

3 qts at about $10/qt. I don't recall what I paid for shipping.

You could also try any GM parts counter.

If you have a CAI installed, it's really easy. The hardest part was getting the fill plug broken loose. I just used a long 3/8 extension and was able to get enough leverage with the ratchet about the CAI tube. I really don't remember how it looked before the CAI, I tore out the stock box within a couple weeks of owning the car.

Under the car, all you need to do is remove the pan underneath held in by a few body pins and two 10mm bolts. The drain plug is like the filler with a 3/8 inch square in it and the hole that tells you it's full is just a 10mm bolt with a washer on it.

All you need to do is drain the old stuff and add the new stuff until it runs out the top hole.

You should also pickup 2 new crush washers for the drain and fill plugs along with a long funnel.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by IN867
While removing the stock bushing with the 2 wrenches (using Comptech's Instructions) I was readjusting my hold and moved the hand I was covering the bushing with when snap - the wrenches popped and the bushing went flying. I was outside and didn't even see where it went so I spent a couple of hours going through my neighbors yard and my driveway on my hands and knees but that thing is gone. Looks like I'm taking my wife's car to the dealership tomorrow to buy a new one. I just hope they have one in stock.

Anyway, for anyone doing this mod, learn from my mistake and keep your hand over the bushing at all times!!
Oh man. I know what you mean, that part is hard to get off.

I hope you can just buy the bushing, but since that part isn't normally taken off and through normal wear, the rest of the shift assembly would probably need to be replaced if the bushing is gone, they might make you buy the whole thing.

Good Luck!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:20 PM
07 NBP TL Type-S

I think KN_TL is right, i was looking for the part on the ownerslink estore... looks like you have to buy the shifting column, or whatever they title it, for $52. I didnt spend too much time looking though so hopefully it turns up as a separate part.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Advanced

KN_TL and Bullpup were right. You have to buy the whole shifter assembly for $57. What's worse is that neither dealership in the area has it in stock so I had to pay another $20 for expedited shipping seeing as I can't drive my car until it's fixed.

This mod better be worth it . . .
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by IN867
KN_TL and Bullpup were right. You have to buy the whole shifter assembly for $57. What's worse is that neither dealership in the area has it in stock so I had to pay another $20 for expedited shipping seeing as I can't drive my car until it's fixed.

This mod better be worth it . . .
But I've had plenty of 'Oh Shit' in many projects so I know what it's like.

The change is definitely noticeable, but if you have the 3rd gear issue with the stock throw, it's be slightly worse with the short throw.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Instructor

I attempted this mod this afternoon, but like IN867, I also lost a part! The retaining clip for the shifter cable flew away when I was prying it off. I heard some dings as it bounced around the dash opening, but I have no idea where it landed. Now, I'm stranded until I get a replacement, or I could try tearing apart the rest of the dash until I find it...

Any ideas for jerry rigging?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Instructor

We'll I've got it holding with some leftover speaker wiring. Its pretty ghetto, but I did a few test shifts and it seems to be holding for now. I wasn't courageous enough to take it out for spin tonight given the horrible luck I've had today. Not only did I lose the clip, I ended up scratching the NAV screen too. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day

IN867, if you've already got the assembly, do you mind sending the clip my way and I can pitch in for the cost. This is the clip I'm talking about:

Name:  136.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  51.2 KB
Old 05-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Stay on topic in this thread. Its about the SS. Not 3rd gear issues..

there are plenty of threads on the 3rd gear issue
Old 05-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Instructor

Anyone got a part # for that clip?

IN867 said it was not part of the shifter assembly, so I'll have to call some dealers tomorrow and hope someone carries it.

Thanks
-TJ
Old 05-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Update:

Our local warehouse has a few clips in stock, so I should be able to pick it up from my dealer either tonight or worst case tomorrow. Luckily, it's sold separately, so its only a few bucks.

By the way, if you're in a pinch, some 14guage speaker wire wrapped around the groove seems to hold well in place of the clip. I made it to work without a hitch, but I took it pretty easy on the shifter.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Intermediate

what a simple install! Short shift is awesome and makes the car so much more fun to drive!!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
does anybody know where i can buy one of these? I know comptech went out of business
Old 12-18-2007, 10:27 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Ebay or check with the vendors.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:55 PM
One on the right for me

I am an idiot for not installing this sooner. Did the install a few days ago - love the results.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:38 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
any after install pics??
Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I

Thumbs up ehh...

I'm tempted to do the install myself....but yikes, it looks like a lot of "pulling crap off" type of thing. Anybody in NYC do the instal on their 3g TL and would like to make a few easy bucks ?? loll
PS. Haven't a few of our fellow AZinerz installed an aftermarket bushing, with really good results ???
Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 AM
zero to biotch:3.0s

Originally Posted by RBP_04TL
any after install pics??
it looks just like same as before......i got mine done by heeltoe last saturday
Old 01-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by C P R
I'm tempted to do the install myself....but yikes, it looks like a lot of "pulling crap off" type of thing. Anybody in NYC do the instal on their 3g TL and would like to make a few easy bucks ?? loll
PS. Haven't a few of our fellow AZinerz installed an aftermarket bushing, with really good results ???

I just ordered my shifter and bushings this week, and am expecting them in today. I plan on doing the install on monday. Iv done a couple DIYs that iv seen on this forum and they all have turned out way easier than they look, so I'm hoping this is going to be the same. For instance I cleared and blacked out my headlights and I was pretty nervous for that, but it was actually reaaaallly easy. Oh and I installed the Usa-spec hon2y and taking the car apart was a lot easier than i thought it would be.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone have any pictures of the SS installed with everything back together?
There aren't any "finished product" pics in this thread.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 PM
One on the right for me

^ - You mean before you cover it up? Nothing looks different.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Racer

yeah it looks the same as stock.

I just finished up my install about 5 minutes ago and i am pleased to report that this install was really easy as well as all the other DIYs iv done. One tip that might help someone that is going to be installing the short shifter is that you dont have to remove the entire yellowish shrouding where all of the shifter linkage is. I simple turned it upside down and did all of the stuff inside my car! It was sooooo easy. i decided to do it this way cuz those damn shifter cables were on really tightly and i couldnt get them out... anyways do it like that so easy. oh yeah and to get that little white plastic bushing off just use channel lock pliers to grip it and pull that bitch off. dont worry about pulling it off strait up like the directions say. It didnt seem to matter when i did it.

dont be scared its so easy
Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 PM
I

Originally Posted by stavebomb
yeah it looks the same as stock.

I just finished up my install about 5 minutes ago and i am pleased to report that this install was really easy as well as all the other DIYs iv done. One tip that might help someone that is going to be installing the short shifter is that you dont have to remove the entire yellowish shrouding where all of the shifter linkage is. I simple turned it upside down and did all of the stuff inside my car! It was sooooo easy. i decided to do it this way cuz those damn shifter cables were on really tightly and i couldnt get them out... anyways do it like that so easy. oh yeah and to get that little white plastic bushing off just use channel lock pliers to grip it and pull that bitch off. dont worry about pulling it off strait up like the directions say. It didnt seem to matter when i did it.

dont be scared its so easy
Sweet !..I might just have to do this install myself. lol How much did the bushings cost you ??...and where did you buy them???
Anyone have any recommendations on what kind/brand I should get ???
thanksss
Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Racer

i bought mine from i think the website was called and they were $30.00 even no shipping or tax. i havnt put them in yet, but they seem like good quality.

here i found it

http://www.usa.com/store/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1109

good luck
Old 01-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
I was curious, the stock shifter has some "slop" as far as when its in neutral. I can wiggle the shifter with 1 finger. I just installed the shifter cable bushings, and it made shifts a bit better, but I was wondering if the SS resolves the wiggle problem.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Theres a few of these floating on Ebay all the time, I might pick one up soon.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by screaminz28
I was curious, the stock shifter has some "slop" as far as when its in neutral. I can wiggle the shifter with 1 finger. I just installed the shifter cable bushings, and it made shifts a bit better, but I was wondering if the SS resolves the wiggle problem.
the answer is no... i just intalled the short shifter and it still has the slop. i ordered the bushings in hope that that would take it away. but i guess not

maybe when you install the shifter you can try to find a way to tighten it up. i was unable to though.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by stavebomb
the answer is no... i just intalled the short shifter and it still has the slop. i ordered the bushings in hope that that would take it away. but i guess not

maybe when you install the shifter you can try to find a way to tighten it up. i was unable to though.
I think I am going to take my shifter apart this weekend and see what I can do to possibly stiffen it up and try and get rid of the slop or wobble. I'll let you know the results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comptech Short Shifter Install/pics 3G Garage #A-086