Coming soon to 3G TL from ATLP

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I am excited to see a ATLP J-pipe come out thats as good or better then the RV6 V3 J-pipe.

WHY ? Because the RV6 true dual catback seems to hard to get.

So basically I want the best J-Pipe available that deletes the third cat, and the ATLP quad exhaust without a resonator for a 2008 TL Type-S that already has high flow 600 count main cats. Those I will leave alone, I DON'T want to pollute anymore then I have to.

Bring it on XLR8 And thanks for your hard work
Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Interesting yet misleading :o
Old 12-24-2011, 03:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
but we think the heart of the car's power is in the j-pipe and beyond.
I am not one to argue with someone's viewpoints or opinions. Obviously, by definition, one can't argue. So if the above statement is meant as your viewpoint, opinion, stance, etc, then I am ok with your statement.

On the other hand, I am concerned that a newbie might read the quote above and be mislead. Based on objective information, the PCD produce the biggest gains. The heart of the car's power, with regards to the exhaust, is in the PCD and not else where. The J-pipe has the second most gains. But foremost is the gains from the PCD.
The following users liked this post:
JD TL-S (12-27-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 09:11 AM
M3RKED

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ill finally have a job again starting 1/4 so this may work out
JD TL-S (12-24-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Marcus stated on his FB page that next week the prototype will be ready, im excited to see this !
Old 12-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I am not one to argue with someone's viewpoints or opinions. Obviously, by definition, one can't argue. So if the above statement is meant as your viewpoint, opinion, stance, etc, then I am ok with your statement.

On the other hand, I am concerned that a newbie might read the quote above and be mislead. Based on objective information, the PCD produce the biggest gains. The heart of the car's power, with regards to the exhaust, is in the PCD and not else where. The J-pipe has the second most gains. But foremost is the gains from the PCD.
I maybe misspoke...the heart of efficiency in the exhaust we feel is in the J-pipe and the mid pipe.

Deleting cats is a frankly no-brain way to make more power. To say that is where power is created is a little false. You can free up power by deleting cats, but you aren't going to make more.

The j-pipe is a tuned piece and getting it right will create very nice power, we expect. Scavenging, tuned lengths, and tuned diameters can effect the actual production of power in the engine. Right now we are not sure of the level of actual engineering or testing has actually gone into any of them made to date.
JD TL-S (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I maybe misspoke...the heart of efficiency in the exhaust we feel is in the J-pipe and the mid pipe.

Deleting cats is a frankly no-brain way to make more power. To say that is where power is created is a little false. You can free up power by deleting cats, but you aren't going to make more.

The j-pipe is a tuned piece and getting it right will create very nice power, we expect. Scavenging, tuned lengths, and tuned diameters can effect the actual production of power in the engine. Right now we are not sure of the level of actual engineering or testing has actually gone into any of them made to date.
Is there a reason that so many vendors have a jpipe but no one is offering a real off-road header with pre-cat deletes and matched runners? That is what I really want!
Old 12-26-2011, 12:15 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ read the bottom of Page3....he did mention why they dont have PCD's connected to Jpipe to form a 1 piece header...
Rev_Hi (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

Talking

Having to swap a J-pipe out for smogging is a lot easier than swapping out the cat deletes. Also the 3rd cat has no sensors on it making it a little more worry free.

Anyway, we think we've got some nice touches to put in on the j-pipe...
Thanks Swoosh... I see it now. I think that most that do this mod don't swap the jpipe for smog so not sure I agree with the reason but at least I see his logic.

I think there would be a big market in the azine community for a regular header but I am still learning here
Old 12-26-2011, 01:40 PM

^^^ yeah thats what i meant....there are couple people who would do for a separate Jpipe and PCD's and people like me would go with 1 item "header" and call it a day....

I dont know about it being a big hit but yeah it would sell a lot....
Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Safety Car

I tried refraining from posting this because it is off-topic to this thread. But, the topic won't go away.

I can't back it up with links to any sources, but I remember reading something somewhere a few years ago that said that the J engine can *not* have a true one-piece PCD+JPipe. The angle that the PCD attach to the engine heads requires that one of the PCD to be detachable in order to get it mounted.

Here are some pics from my archives.

In the pic below, this track car (Accord)

use this (pic below) custom hand-fabricated semi one-piece PCD+JPipe.

I also found this pic below in my archives. I have no idea where I got this pic from.

Again, please note that all pics illustrates this semi one-piece PCD+JPipe design.
The following 2 users liked this post by Inaccurate:
JD TL-S (12-27-2011), Rev_Hi (12-29-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Marcus,

Will there be a 3" collector option? I'm going to assume no because your exhaust (and all but custom) is 2.5", but it can't hurt to ask.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:12 AM

I tried refraining from posting this because it is off-topic to this thread. But, the topic won't go away.

I can't back it up with links to any sources, but I remember reading something somewhere a few years ago that said that the J engine can *not* have a true one-piece PCD+JPipe. The angle that the PCD attach to the engine heads requires that one of the PCD to be detachable in order to get it mounted.

Here are some pics from my archives.

In the pic below, this track car (Accord)

use this (pic below) custom hand-fabricated semi one-piece PCD+JPipe.

I also found this pic below in my archives. I have no idea where I got this pic from.

Again, please note that all pics illustrates this semi one-piece PCD+JPipe design.
Just a quick question on this:

you know how the manufacturers the jpipe stress so much on "same length primary pipes"....i see the primary pipes in the above setups is different....how does this hurt/help performance ?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:40 AM
All motor

^^X2 on that. Unequal length primary pipes for the Jpipe MAY actually increase performance. It really depends on the geometry of the motor from what I've heard. They will change the sound drastically as well. I THINK Sean had unequal length primary pipes on his Labree Jpipe. I could be wrong, but I showed the picture that Sean posted of his setup to the muffler guy I went to (pretty experienced), and he said the way he had it designed, that it was impossible to be equal length. That could potentially be a reason why he gained so much, and may be what ATLP is going for. It also could be the reason why his car sounded so exotic; unlike any other TL I've heard (he had the J32a3 motor).
callahan (01-04-2012)
Old 12-27-2011, 10:56 AM

^^^ the reason I ask is I have unequal length primaries on my true dual (before the X Merge) in the muffler....my tuner said the same, its gonna flow so well and i was like "ur just to lazy to make equal length pipes" LOL...
Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
WOW Thanks

Awesome info guys
Old 12-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i believe this one is the ebay version ..probably why the primaires arent equal length b/c of them not caring about function just selling large quantities...
Old 12-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Those pipes are very cool looking...but I still don't see the need in the market for it given that there are so many PCDs out there and lots of people probably want to keep stock cats.

Equal lengths...I am leaving this up to Hytech to get right. So far it looks as though we are within 1 inch of equal length, which is pretty damn close, while still retaining maximum ground clearance.

One thing we will let out, we are deleting that pesky flex pipe for a much stronger and reliable setup.
JD TL-S (12-30-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't wait , it will be my late Christmas Present .....
Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM

When is the ETA on when it's going to be done/produced? I'm about to buy tons of mods soon.

Where is accordcpe guy or Greco when you need info for the j pipe :x
Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by swoosh
you know how the manufacturers the jpipe stress so much on "same length primary pipes"....i see the primary pipes in the above setups is different....how does this hurt/help performance ?
Equal length primary pipes are HIGHLY over-rated. Equal length doesn't matter.

A shorter length primary pipe will move the power to a higher rpm range. Whereas, the a longer length primary pipe will move the power to a lower rpm range. And, this range is a narrow range, maybe 500-1000 rpm difference at the extremes (shortest vs longest).

Please note that the shorter versus longer will be making the same average power thru the driving range. It is just that the power becomes biased to one end of the range with the difference in length.

If a Jpipe had one leg longer than the other leg, the different leg lengths would theoretically make a broader power curve. But, the average power would be the same compared to if both legs where equal length.
The following 2 users liked this post by Inaccurate:
Hacura (02-22-2012), JD TL-S (12-30-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 PM

Equal length primary pipes are HIGHLY over-rated. Equal length doesn't matter.

A shorter length primary pipe will move the power to a higher rpm range. Whereas, the a longer length primary pipe will move the power to a lower rpm range. And, this range is a narrow range, maybe 500-1000 rpm difference at the extremes (shortest vs longest).

Please note that the shorter versus longer will be making the same average power thru the driving range. It is just that the power becomes biased to one end of the range with the difference in length.

If a Jpipe had one leg longer than the other leg, the different leg lengths would theoretically make a broader power curve. But, the average power would be the same compared to if both legs where equal length.
Thank you sir for confirming this....moar powaaa for swoosh

Now i trust my exhaust manufacturer

PS: the magnaflow muffler was switched out for dynomax...
Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 AM
All motor

Those pipes are very cool looking...but I still don't see the need in the market for it given that there are so many PCDs out there and lots of people probably want to keep stock cats.

Equal lengths...I am leaving this up to Hytech to get right. So far it looks as though we are within 1 inch of equal length, which is pretty damn close, while still retaining maximum ground clearance.

One thing we will let out, we are deleting that pesky flex pipe for a much stronger and reliable setup.
Hytech/ATLP hybrid Jpipe?

Can you answer my question about the possibility of there being a 3" collector to mate to people with a 3" exhaust?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Intermediate

Deleting that flex pipe is a big deal!! Sounds like it is worth the wait!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 AM
All motor

I can't stop drooling over that piece for the HART Accord. That looks exactly like my merge collector, only I have a 2.5-3" transition at the collector.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sonnick if you get this j pipe I would be interested in your j pipe...
Old 12-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Hytech/ATLP hybrid Jpipe?

Can you answer my question about the possibility of there being a 3" collector to mate to people with a 3" exhaust?
We are looking at doing these sort of custom...

If you have stock cats on a base model, or a Type-S with PCDs, or a Supercharger, you are going to want a different set of specs to fill those needs. With Hytech's ability to make the absolute best parts possible with ideal tuning we can get specific parts made for all these apps.

YES. A Custom j-pipe for just your needs.

That being said we can vary the diameter of the exit from the merge but from our calcs non-supercharged cars probably won't need more than a 2 3/4" setup, which we can do.

Future concept: we will offer revised mid pipes for those of you with ATLP cat backs to further optimize the j-pipe.

Right now we are scouting for a 6MT test car in socal. Email support@heeltoeauto.com if interested. 6MT ONLY.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:32 PM

Screw Cali. Everything cars is in Cali fuuu
Old 12-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Screw Cali. Everything cars is in Cali fuuu
+1
Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 AM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
hahaha i cant wait to see this.....
Old 01-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
I want to see this as well. Subscribed.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
All motor

We are looking at doing these sort of custom...

If you have stock cats on a base model, or a Type-S with PCDs, or a Supercharger, you are going to want a different set of specs to fill those needs. With Hytech's ability to make the absolute best parts possible with ideal tuning we can get specific parts made for all these apps.

YES. A Custom j-pipe for just your needs.

That being said we can vary the diameter of the exit from the merge but from our calcs non-supercharged cars probably won't need more than a 2 3/4" setup, which we can do.

Future concept: we will offer revised mid pipes for those of you with ATLP cat backs to further optimize the j-pipe.

Right now we are scouting for a 6MT test car in socal. Email support@heeltoeauto.com if interested. 6MT ONLY.
Sounds like a 1 stop shop to me. Thanks for the update, Marcus. That really sounds awesome. I'm especially liking the fact that Hytech is making it's way into the J series market

And yea, F Cali. My buddy wants to move out there because of all the car stuff that goes on. Too many beautiful, sunny days!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 PM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Sweet! I will be keeping a lookout for this for sure.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
damn to bad i dont live in cali
Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sent you email marcus. My car is available
Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
everything is in cali,,,,,,,
EL PESADO (01-06-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Where is this at now? im in the market for PCD and Jpipe, been waiting to see this come out...

did i read this right? this will be a PCD+Jpipe combo (1 piece)
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM

^^^ nope you read it wrong....LOL

its just a jpipe
Old 01-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn if only I had a 6MT I would do this. But if you end up needing a 5AT lmk.
abrieluno (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Working on getting the first dyno day scheduled...should have progress by the end of Jan!

Quick Reply: Coming soon to 3G TL from ATLP