Clutch Delay Valve Delete - LuK Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by SerpentX
How did you guys bust the Brakeline loose, when you turn it, it also turns the nut the Brake line is threaded into.... So what did you use to hold it steady with limited room but break the Brake line loose?
I don't even have a wrench big enough to fit it, so will need to pick that up this week as well, anyone knows what size it is?
The big nut is a 17mm.
Clutch Delay Valve Delete - LuK Slave Cylinder-xegrs7d.jpg

I have the unfortunate luxury of not having the radiator (in the process of pulling the motor) but assuming you still have the rad in and once you acquire a 17mm box wrench and (brake) line wrench, if I were you I'd remove the battery/tray for your arms, as well as anything else that's hindering your hand/arm/wrench mobility. Unbolt the slave from the block so you can pull it away from the block to swing the wrenches a bit more, keep the 17mm stationary while you loosen with the line wrench since it's MUCH shorter.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe
The big nut is a 17mm.

I have the unfortunate luxury of not having the radiator (in the process of pulling the motor) but assuming you still have the rad in and once you acquire a 17mm box wrench and (brake) line wrench, if I were you I'd remove the battery/tray for your arms, as well as anything else that's hindering your hand/arm/wrench mobility. Unbolt the slave from the block so you can pull it away from the block to swing the wrenches a bit more, keep the 17mm stationary while you loosen with the line wrench since it's MUCH shorter.

Got the 17 mm, yesterday, and a small set of open-ended ratchet wrenches came in last night that I ordered. So besides limited space, I should have everything I need.

The brake line is not something I want to bend as it will pinch the line then I have to run a whole new line from master cylinder to slave. So I will be careful when pulling it up a bit for more room.
I wonder though, is there any point to replacing the brake line use for the clutch system with stainless steel braided line? Or no?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:27 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Is there any difference between the LuK slave cylinder and the OEM one besides the price ($60 vs $80)? I need a new slave cylinder anyways because mine's leaking and I figured I'd attempt the CDV delete.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:09 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ACURAte_tiTLe
Is there any difference between the LuK slave cylinder and the OEM one besides the price ($60 vs $80)? I need a new slave cylinder anyways because mine's leaking and I figured I'd attempt the CDV delete.
seems like maybe the Luk has a different type of check valve that comes out. Kinda a moot point since it' being deleted.

doing on a new slave makes it easier. Straight automotive pick to pry out the C clip. No dremel needed. Popped out the cap from the other side with a skinny Allen key.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:11 AM

We should be addressing the these junky OEM clutch master cylinders that make shifting even worse then the delay valve.

Ktune seems to have a nice one for us.

the master for our 04-08 TL is the same as the first 4 years of the RSX and TSX.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
We should be addressing the these junky OEM clutch master cylinders that make shifting even worse then the delay valve.

the master for our 04-08 TL is the same as the first 4 years of the RSX and TSX.
Huh that's interesting... According to Ktuned, the CMC has a delay mechanism too. Wonder if you can remove or bypass it like the slave cylinder without spending $100 on a Ktuned CMC...
Old 06-19-2018, 12:30 PM

Huh that's interesting... According to Ktuned, the CMC has a delay mechanism too. Wonder if you can remove or bypass it like the slave cylinder without spending $100 on a Ktuned CMC...
Probably... I'll most likely end up getting a non diaphragm style CMC from Ktune or similar.
I figure with the mileage these stock units have it would be wise to replace with a fresh new master, the Ktune is still cheaper then the OEM unit if you get it without the extra braided line. It seems like three small bolts hold the diaphragm together so I'll look into it when the old one comes out.

the master delay system is talked about in the technical literature as well on hondanews.com
Old 06-20-2018, 07:29 AM
Intermediate

FYI LUK SLAVE is OEM, but not the only one. And yes there are some shotty OEM products out there but be careful.
If you get the LUK for cheap, the fix is super easy. I made a video if you're interested

"Removal of the check valve, from a LUK Slave cylinder for Acura TL"

Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by SerpentX
FYI LUK SLAVE is OEM, but not the only one. And yes there are some shotty OEM products out there but be careful.
If you get the LUK for cheap, the fix is super easy. I made a video if you're interested

"Removal of the check valve, from a LUK Slave cylinder for Acura TL"

https://youtu.be/EIT-qYXF5LE
Not sure what you mean by Luk slave is OEM? On my original and new slave it says Nissin. Your slave might be a OEM style product but as you can see by the internals it is not 100% the same.
They could have used more then one company to manufacture these but I doubt it. Either way you quoted me talking about the master cylinders not the slaves.

So again I wouldn't state that Luk is OEM since for this product it is by definition not the original equipment manufacturer but it does hope to copy it and I presume change the delay valve style to save money.
Just for your information
Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 PM

For ease of searching and redundancy I am posting this information I found from some other threads in this one as well as the original delay valve delete thread

looking at some other threads I found a very informative thread and in particular post by Euro_TSX_R that points out another CMC that can be used that is just like our original unit minus the diaphragm.
Upon researching the part number I found out it belongs to the 01-05 Civic manuals.

46920-S5A-G06

The part seems to ironically be more expensive the our original CMC if your are sourcing it through a dealer in person or online,
obviously off brand units are substantially cheaper.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 127 Posts

Not sure why but that infamous clip was really easy to take off. Can not wait to install it now
Old 06-23-2018, 01:49 PM

For ease of searching and redundancy I am posting this information I found from some other threads in this one as well as the original delay valve delete thread

looking at some other threads I found a very informative thread and in particular post by Euro_TSX_R that points out another CMC that can be used that is just like our original unit minus the diaphragm.
Upon researching the part number I found out it belongs to the 01-05 Civic manuals.

46920-S5A-G06

The part seems to ironically be more expensive the our original CMC if your are sourcing it through a dealer in person or online,
obviously off brand units are substantially cheaper.
bought the Adler part from partbull.com as suggested by euro_tsx_r
it is indeed a Nissin part! $50shipped for a new one CMC!
Old 06-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Advanced

bought the Adler part from partbull.com as suggested by euro_tsx_r
it is indeed a Nissin part! $50shipped for a new one CMC!
Please update when you get it installed!
Old 07-22-2018, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Please update when you get it installed!
Wow, the clutch pedal feels so much better, and engagement is actually pretty smooth without the check valve. Even though that is what the check valve was intended for, it seems a whole lot better. Shifting is like butter, and 1st gear clutch engagement is less drawn out. Def worth the quick fix, it took 30 minutes to install but I am OCD about everything being perfect. The only time-consuming part is bleeding the system but the crap that was bleeding out, looked like a poop milkshake it was bad.... I don't think anyone changed it since it rolled out of the factory. Here is a vid I did, for others but I figured I would share it here too.

The following 2 users liked this post by SerpentX:
90foxnotch (07-23-2018), srg818 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

P.S. Forgive the Youtube-ness aspect, I am trying to build my channel. I am a computer guy, and I do a lot of Tech related videos like Crypto mining, Overclock, Benchmarking and hardware mods. But I am a car guy as well, So I apologize in advance...
Old 07-23-2018, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 127 Posts
That was a really clean engine bay, Nice video, cant wait to install this, Ill be doing it when I do my exhaust mods
Old 08-22-2018, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pmed SerpentX
Old 07-30-2021, 09:45 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I'll be modifying a LUCK slave this afternoon. Wish me Luk.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
Curious3GTL (07-31-2021), horseshoez (07-30-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:48 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Alright boys...
done...thanks to this thread and a few of you for pointing out which part of the assembly was the checkvalve on the LUK.
I recall last time around I was like WTF is this...put it back together and ordered open box OEM from Amazon.

I tried to scrape and use a blade and kept snapping them...finally gave up and went back to my tried and true method of cutting a groove.
Easy peasy.

This time around I depressed the plunger on the slave all the way and used a syringe with brake fluid to fill it up as I released it to ensure the
cavity was full (that's the hardest part of bleeding, getting the trapped bubbles out of the slave itself since they get caught in crevices. Bench filled
and bled...jiggled and pushed bubbles out, refilled etc...bam, back in car...old fluid at reservoir was nice...fluid AT failed slave looked like aforementioned
doodoo butter. Tasted just as bad too.

Bled a bit to get that nasty shit out (with my mityvac) and for the first time ever doing this pedal was firm and without air in the lines from the first time I pressed it. Bench fill
these slaves!

Old 02-10-2022, 05:48 PM
Transmission Pro

Received 81 Likes on 53 Posts
Subscribing. I've got a bin of these that I need to do this to.