building quad magnaflow. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:28 PM
socal WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
building quad magnaflow. Need help!

so I've been doing my research on the whole custom exhaust and have been debating a lot on whether or not to buy a full cat, oem mufflers or just make my own custom exhaust.

first of all id love to say that i really love the look of the atlp quad V1 exhaust and can't wait to see what the v2 looks like. With all this news on new Xlr8 exhaust and atlp exhausts coming out hopefully i might be able to pick up a cheap quad exhaust cat back off the bm sometime soon. but if that's not the case im most likely going to try and build my own magnaflow muffler set up.i know im not going to be expecting any horsepower gain, but im just trying to go for more sound than anything.

here is what I have so far
going to run original oem pipping from the headers to the mufflers
and the muffler choices that I am going to use is
2 magnaflow mufflers 5 " x 8" x 14" body 2.25 inch inlet and outlet part number 12148

and what my question generally is what should the length of the tips be
either
3.5 inch x 4.5 inches
or 3.5 inch x 7 inches

i basically just want it to sit flush with the type s aspec rear bumper, maybe sticking out a little. i just dont want to order the wrong thing and have it stick out a huge amount.

also another question is if i do the quad exhaust with magnaflow mufflers should i keep my stock resonator and mid muffler or switch to a stage 3 using a Dynomax 24234 Ultra Flow Aluminized Steel 2 1/4" In/Out Muffler. what i've done research on is that if I have mufflers along with original piping I will get drone coming up mostly from the trunk around not underneath me. but also what someone else had said was that if i had custom mufflers getting a stage 3 exhaust would actually increase the drone. so basically I just want to get everything done at all once without and mess ups!

i currently drive a base 07-08 tl so i dont have the oem quad mufflers otherwise i would of just done a stage 3 exhaust. and purchasing the oem ones would basically be the same price as building my own magnaflow one (which i think would just be easier and better). any help from you exhaust pros would be awesome

really i would just get the atlp one but... im just a college kid with a fixed income and for the price i could get a used Atlp exhaust would be the same as me getting a full aspec kit and magnaflow mufflers haha.... plus atlp is super loud which i would love but none of the girl i drive would
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
If you are going to get a shop to do any welding I'd go with the shorter of the tips as you can always make them flush...that is true whether you are also going to have them bend new tubing or use the OEM system.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 AM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did the same exhaust setup ur talking about and plan on making a thread on it soon but im too lazy lol. The mufflers are good, the tips i went with were 3.5 inch by 7 inches long fit perfect with the type s a-spec lip, i also have a magnaflow resonator.. You can see pics of it on my albulm. good luck. and remember there is gonna be drone lol around 2k-3k. exhaust sonuds good though.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom/Rear painted flat black with high temp paint

Here is what im going to do. I'll find other similar tips if I cant fint ATLP tips. But you have the right magnaflow muffler to use
Old 01-14-2010, 01:57 PM
socal WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yonkers914
I did the same exhaust setup ur talking about and plan on making a thread on it soon but im too lazy lol. The mufflers are good, the tips i went with were 3.5 inch by 7 inches long fit perfect with the type s a-spec lip, i also have a magnaflow resonator.. You can see pics of it on my albulm. good luck. and remember there is gonna be drone lol around 2k-3k. exhaust sonuds good though.
how come in your pics that i saw the tips seemed to stick out really long. like even out of the bumper? is that what you wanted it to look like or is that just how the 3.5 x 7 inch ones fit?