AT brake life, and upgrade question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
AT brake life, and upgrade question?

first question:
how many miles can i expect from my AT brakes with upgraded Aspec pads?

right now i am getting close to 40k miles, and i wasnt sure how much longer i can go. they still feel good. i did notice a little squeak the other day, but it was only at really slow speeds and it was hard to reproduce later on. it wasnt loud, but my windows were down, which they usually are not, so it was easier to hear the faint noise.

second question:
if and when i need to replace i was thinking about going with the RacingBrake setup, possibly the two piece rotors. my question is about the brake pads. i have really enjoyed the upgraded stopping power of my break pads, but they are actually more expensive than the competitors. has anyone had these and then switched? if so, what did you switch to and are you happier?

i know a lot of people are going with the Hawks and people seem happy with them, but i am thinking about either sticking with the Aspec pads or switching to the RaceBrake pads, not sure which model though (probably the ET500).

I am going on a small road trip in two weeks and just wanted to make sure i would be good to go. i know i am cutting things close with the time frame, i would prefer to have a little extra time to install and break them in before hand, but i was just looking for some opinions. i may not need them yet though, thats why i was asking on the lifespan. i know the Brembos go a lot quicker.

thanks in advance!!!

p.s. i know this question has probably been asked already, but i couldnt find much info on the Aspec pads on the AT setup...

p.p.s i have never worked on brakes before, and they make me kinda nervous. just throwing that out there
Old 08-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
I have the Racing Brake 1 piece rotors and the a-spec burned pads, the stopping power is better than factory. I like it a lot. I think I'll get 40-60K out of these since the factory ones had 56K on them and the fronts were worn down to the metal due to warped rotors and the rears had 70% on em.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by csmeance
I have the Racing Brake 1 piece rotors and the a-spec burned pads, the stopping power is better than factory. I like it a lot. I think I'll get 40-60K out of these since the factory ones had 56K on them and the fronts were worn down to the metal due to warped rotors and the rears had 70% on em.

awesome man, thanks for the info. so based on your 56k life, i will probably have a few more miles on mine before i need to replace? and were your "stock" with the aspec pads, or did you just upgrade to those?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
That squeeler noise at low speed is likely the tab that hits the rotors when they reach minimum thickness
Its attached to the back of the pad and extends forward so it makes contact
Can only be heard at low speeds, light brake pressure

If you are going to do the brakes yourself- on my 01TL, I really like my RacingBrake 1 piece rotors in front with ET pads- they are designed to work with the special mettalurgy and construction of the rotors.
The 300s if wife drives it a lot, the ET500 if you like to enjoy the car more often in your daily driving and backroads fun!!
iirc- this months secret coupon code at heeltoe is: acurazinerocks
http://heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=1804
Make sure to bed them in properly- they will be fine for the trip if you do this a few times. Takes about 500 miles of street usage to get 110 percent effort they will provide~
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1184261899
I helped write that article and well tested it on a few TLs and different pad-rotor combos

2 piece rotors if you are hardcore racer- live on a mountain and often overheat the brakes, like to do track days or autocross race, - then the price and benefit equal out
Old 08-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
That squeeler noise at low speed is likely the tab that hits the rotors when they reach minimum thickness
Its attached to the back of the pad and extends forward so it makes contact
Can only be heard at low speeds, light brake pressure

If you are going to do the brakes yourself- on my 01TL, I really like my RacingBrake 1 piece rotors in front with ET pads- they are designed to work with the special mettalurgy and construction of the rotors.
The 300s if wife drives it a lot, the ET500 if you like to enjoy the car more often in your daily driving and backroads fun!!
iirc- this months secret coupon code at heeltoe is: acurazinerocks
http://heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=1804
Make sure to bed them in properly- they will be fine for the trip if you do this a few times. Takes about 500 miles of street usage to get 110 percent effort they will provide~
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1184261899
I helped write that article and well tested it on a few TLs and different pad-rotor combos

2 piece rotors if you are hardcore racer- live on a mountain and often overheat the brakes, like to do track days or autocross race, - then the price and benefit equal out

awesome, thank you very much! i will continue to listen, but i think i am going to place my order today just in case.

and i know i could look this up, but when will i need to do a fluid change? i know you have to if you replace the lines, which i am not, but what is the normal life time/miles for the fluid?