Acura TL Builder's Ultimate Boost Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Acura TL Builder's Ultimate Boost Thread

Hey guys, I have a base 5AT 2008 Acura TL, I just bought a six months used Supercharger for $700. It seems to have everything but Electronic engine management, and the six inch metal bracket that the kit originally comes with from Comptech.

Already purchased:
- Supercharger Unit
- Hondata Flashpro Acura TL 07-08'
- Daytona serpentine belt #K60945.

Still need to buy:
- aluminum intake piping(U-turn) and Air filter.
- six inch metal support bracket(from comptech)
- Smaller battery + battery wire to trunk
- new radiator hose
- AEM water/methanol kit
- Dyno tune
Please let me know if you have any of these items, I'd like could buy from you.

Plan to use the stock pulley, and use as daily driver. Bought this for the rare occasion that I'd like to feel it's power.

Previous experience:
Ive installed a complete custom turbo (including tune)on my Civic and my friends accord.

Please let me know what I am missing and what is the best. Your input is appreciated!

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 12-17-2017 at 01:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
teh CL (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

I also need the 90 degree elbow that goes from the s/c to the intake manifold.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
I also need the 90 degree elbow that goes from the s/c to the intake manifold.
I don't need this 90* elbow as I realized I had it.

Here is my updated parts list.
  • CT MAP plug
  • CT gaskets
  • CT Battery trim- coolant tank/hose
  • CT coolant hose
  • CT upper alternator mount
  • CT lower support brace and bolts
  • CT Throttle body spacer
  • Spark plugs
  • Size 51R Battery
  • Ebay 3" aluminum pipe hose clamps
  • AEM Water/methanol kit
  • Dyno tune
Purchased:
- CT Supercharger
- Hondata Flashpro

I'm contacting CT Engineering tomorrow to order all the missing components.

Anyone know whats a good brand size 51R battery?
ZeroJoshuel (03-11-2022)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I wonder how gain you will get with this CT kit? I saw in the past where people get around 305 whp. I guess I will check back for update.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

I'm Working for 330 WHP. I will get it tuned perfectly. But my main concern currently is that the S/C is in good working order. Does anyone think it looks like an old model? The body of it is black and not the standard chrome I usually see in TLs.

Would I need to get my exhaust redone from the exhaust manifolds back to reach 330WHP? My concern with doing this is that there will be a bottleneck at the exhaust mani. and any gains will be lost there. Is there a way to make the Ex. Manis larger on our cars?

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 12-17-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Take a look at the CT Install/Tech site as it should provide you with all info:
Install/Tech

You'll need @ 400 HP, maybe 8 lbs, so hopefully the TL drive-train is up to the task.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
shit, for $700 why the fuck not!?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
lol...because unless it all works that's an expensive paperweight!
Good luck with the build...I came in here just for the tone and enthusiasm!
Acura TL Builder (12-20-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,390 Posts
I don't need this 90* elbow as I realized I had it.

Yeah, that's the elbow piece bolted to the throttle body inlet of the S/C'er in your pictures above.

Here is my updated parts list.
  • CT MAP plug
  • CT gaskets
  • CT Battery trim- coolant tank/hose
  • CT coolant hose
  • CT upper alternator mount
  • CT lower support brace and bolts
  • CT Throttle body spacer
  • Spark plugs
  • Size 51R Battery
  • Ebay 3" aluminum pipe hose clamps
  • AEM Water/methanol kit
  • Dyno tune
Purchased:
- CT Supercharger
- Hondata Flashpro

I'm contacting CT Engineering tomorrow to order all the missing components.
It will be interesting to find out how successful you are in piecing this together. You may have to 'tap into' some of those 'stacks' shown in your avatar, lol.

Anyone know whats a good brand size 51R battery?
Interstate or Die Hard from Sears?

Good Luck!

Oh, and if that S/C'er unit needs a rebuild, the guy on the link below does a good job:

http://jonbondperformance.com/index....roducts_id=295

Last edited by zeta; 12-18-2017 at 08:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zeta:
EvilVirus (04-18-2018), teh CL (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Not to be a 'kill joy' or anything; however, If you look at the CT install instructions for the '04-06' TL S/C'er kit the shaft pulley does not look like the one you have on your blower unit above. If I had to guess, the S/C'er you purchased is either from an Accord; or '03 CL/TL kit.
So, perhaps you'd need to source that pulley as well? Maybe a current/former 3rd gen SC'ed TL forum member can chime in on the validity of my statement.

Also, does that look like recent 'welding' there at the 'jack shaft' nearest to the blower snout? Just curious?

Last edited by zeta; 12-18-2017 at 08:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zeta:
Acura TL Builder (12-18-2017), teh CL (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 11:00 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Gus a member here may be able to offer some assistance....04WDPSEDAN is his Azine Handle....below is his build thread!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...meline-878670/
The following 2 users liked this post by Slpr04UA6:
Acura TL Builder (12-18-2017), zeta (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
The picture above from 04WDPSEDAN's thread pretty much supports my guess. The shaft pulley is wider; thus, needing the wider serpentine belt used with the 04-08 TL CT kits. With that said, he can probably still use the Accord/2G CL/TL blower; however, the OP will have his work cut out for him.

Even the S/C'er mount bracket, at the head, he has there is different, part # wise, from the mount bracket supplied with the proper 3G TL blower. I can see that the 'collar', nearest the shaft pulley, of the mount bracket at the alternator is different on the TL S/C'er unit; however, I'm not sure if that will present an issue. Those two mounting points are pretty important.

At least he now knows what he has to work with.

Let's see if he comes back with a detailed update to this thread regarding his parts search progress.
The following 3 users liked this post by zeta:
Acura TL Builder (12-18-2017), Christopher. (01-15-2018), teh CL (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I wouldn't bother...
I'd just sell it to Justin for $700
silverTL6 (09-12-2020)
Old 12-18-2017, 10:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Take a look at the CT Install/Tech site as it should provide you with all info:
Install/Tech

You'll need @ 400 HP, maybe 8 lbs, so hopefully the TL drive-train is up to the task.
I plan to someday run 8psi, but will start first with 4.5-5psi to get my toes wet.

Originally Posted by justnspace
shit, for $700 why the fuck not!?
Wanna buy it?!

Originally Posted by rockstar143
lol...because unless it all works that's an expensive paperweight!
Good luck with the build...I came in here just for the tone and enthusiasm!
Thanks Rockstar, its going to be boosted come hell or high water!

Originally Posted by zeta

Yeah, that's the elbow piece bolted to the throttle body inlet of the S/C'er in your pictures above.
It will be interesting to find out how successful you are in piecing this together. You may have to 'tap into' some of those 'stacks' shown in your avatar, lol.
Interstate or Die Hard from Sears?
Good Luck!
Oh, and if that S/C'er unit needs a rebuild, the guy on the link below does a good job:
CT Engineering Supercharger Remanufacture / Rebuild CT Engineering Supercharger Remanufacture / Rebuild [Rebuild services] - $772.00 : Jon Bond Performance, The Worlds Premier Supercharger Rebuilder and Parts Store
I've reserved all that cash for this project! I'm getting my entire car PDR'd and Repainted in the next 6 weeks.

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
Gus a member here may be able to offer some assistance....04WDPSEDAN is his Azine Handle....below is his build thread!
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...meline-878670/
Thanks for the link! I've been learning alot from his build. I don't think that I can get my engine bay that clean!

The picture above from 04WDPSEDAN's thread pretty much supports my guess. The shaft pulley is wider; thus, needing the wider serpentine belt used with the 04-08 TL CT kits. With that said, he can probably still use the Accord/2G CL/TL blower; however, the OP will have his work cut out for him.
Even the S/C'er mount bracket, at the head, he has there is different, part # wise, from the mount bracket supplied with the proper 3G TL blower. I can see that the 'collar', nearest the shaft pulley, of the mount bracket at the alternator is different on the TL S/C'er unit; however, I'm not sure if that will present an issue. Those two mounting points are pretty important.
At least he now knows what he has to work with.
Let's see if he comes back with a detailed update to this thread regarding his parts search progress.
Thanks for the detailed input Zeta!
Old 12-18-2017, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

I have two routes I can go Fellas...

I called CT Engineering today and asked for the parts I know I will need thus far. They took my email and said I would be sent an invoice but have yet to receive it. Based on the figures they give me I'll buy a new kit.

I also inquired about a new kit because I'll get the entire set, brand new, with warranty and the ability to ride 70k+ miles without a rebuild. Which they said they have a couple, but they are spoken for. Was told they will call to their blower supplier to see when they can get more in. I can't even buy a new kit!!

Thanks to Zetas input, it does look different than 04WDPSEDANs Supercharger... So I will need more parts to replace, and from the looks of it I still may need to do a rebuild.

I'm leaning towards XLR8 for the $4500 Comptech S/C. I'll also call CT Engineering tomorrow and see if they will sell me a "Spoken for" S/C if I add an extra $100. Think they will bite?

So I can either rebuild my current S/C, buy the rest of the kit, or buy a new complete kit. One will cost more, but gives me peace of mind. The other saves money, but could cost even money/time down the road.

What do you fellas think?

I ordered an AEM Water/Methanol kit today. Whichever route I go it will be needed.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 12-18-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:32 AM
Safety Car

I took a portion of the S/C apart and it looks good! Is there suppose to be a second pulley?

It says MP62-G4. The blower blades look dirty but its just because there was a small ball of wax(of all things) in there. I have since cleaned it out. not malls, garls or snags in there.
Why is it black in there?

Check out the JB welds and weldjob! Wonder why this was done?

It seems that this is an eaton style blower made by magnuson and is a 4th generation MP62.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 12-19-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
See if you can retrofit an m90eaton. The m62 aren’t that great since it was made more for the K20a/k24 people. You can run lower boost and obtain a higher cfm.

another option would be to go with gerZard. Rotrex superchager kit. It will be better than the comptech and easier put you in the 400whp range

Or say fk it all ,and go turbo.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
See if you can retrofit an m90eaton. The m62 aren’t that great since it was made more for the K20a/k24 people. You can run lower boost and obtain a higher cfm.

another option would be to go with gerZard. Rotrex superchager kit. It will be better than the comptech and easier put you in the 400whp range

Or say fk it all ,and go turbo.
I'd love turbo, but this is my DD. Isnt the m62 the standard comptech S/C for Acura TL?
Old 12-19-2017, 01:14 AM
Safety Car

I turbo my DD . And yes the m62 is the comptech standard for the TL. Really bad choice on their end since it can barely keep up on a 3.0 accord without heat soaking.

Look up kingdongdav supercharged TL. We all told him it was a bad idea. 4 months later he parted out

inorder to break 300whp on the comptech you have to run the high boost pulley. That brings the m62 supercharge into the ineffiency range on the compressor/ boost mapping
Old 12-19-2017, 01:38 AM
Safety Car

I already have this S/C man. Im not looking for insane power, just a tidbit more than what Ive got. I did read Kingkonddavs thread. hilarious!
Old 12-19-2017, 02:22 AM
Safety Car

I wonder how the previous owner was able to use that pulley to the s/c? I couldnt find any way to keep it from freespinning.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 12-19-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Check out the JB welds and weldjob! Wonder why this was done?

Precisely. You've gone this far with taking it apart, you may as well remove the other hex heads and break the seal. Depending on severity/where the break/cracks are on the other side, you may be able to view them; however, I believe there is a bearing there that may be in the way of observing 'what went on' to warrant that weld. You can buy appropriate flange sealant from Amazon or Grainger's and S/C'er oil from either the Jon Bond Performance link I provided previously or your local GM dealer.

It may also be prudent to check, with a proper right angle ruler or something similar, IF there is any degree of Peyronie's going on at that junction? It's difficult to tell from the pictures.

I wonder how the previous owner was able to use that pulley to the s/c? I couldnt find any way to keep it from freespinning.
It would be interesting to know the previous owners 'back story' of this particular S/C'er unit, it may help explain the questionable 'run for the hills' condition this thing is in.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
I turbo my DD . And yes the m62 is the comptech standard for the TL. Really bad choice on their end since it can barely keep up on a 3.0 accord without heat soaking.

Look up kingdongdav supercharged TL. We all told him it was a bad idea. 4 months later he parted out

inorder to break 300whp on the comptech you have to run the high boost pulley. That brings the m62 supercharge into the ineffiency range on the compressor/ boost mapping
It didn't help that Kingdongdave was doing this on a 3.5L TL-S. The larger displacement of the engine effectively lowers the PSI produced on the roots blower. The OP's 3.2L should work much better with the M62. More HP More Problems

The Rotrex option is awesome but requires removal of the A/C, that's just to much for a DD IMO.
EvilVirus (04-18-2018)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

Precisely. You've gone this far with taking it apart, you may as well remove the other hex heads and break the seal. Depending on severity/where the break/cracks are on the other side, you may be able to view them; however, I believe there is a bearing there that may be in the way of observing 'what went on' to warrant that weld. You can buy appropriate flange sealant from Amazon or Grainger's and S/C'er oil from either the Jon Bond Performance link I provided previously or your local GM dealer.

It may also be prudent to check, with a proper right angle ruler or something similar, IF there is any degree of Peyronie's going on at that junction? It's difficult to tell from the pictures.

It would be interesting to know the previous owners 'back story' of this particular S/C'er unit, it may help explain the questionable 'run for the hills' condition this thing is in.
Thanks Zeta! Would it be safe to break the JB welds? I'm afraid to bend the unit or crack it further.

The back story is, some drug addicted junkies in thier late 40s, lookin like thier in thier late 50s were selling this. They pulled up in a "How is this still running" 1988 Honda Accord.

The lady who looked like a stereotypical witch told me her ex boyfriend installed it into her Acura TL 2004-2008. She was rear ended and they took it off about a year ago. Said it only had six months of use. None of this I believed.

She looked like she couldn't afford a toothbrush, let alone an Acura of any year/condition.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 12-19-2017 at 10:11 AM.
silverTL6 (06-06-2020)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Are those the same folks you got the 6MT from?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Are those the same folks you got the 6MT from?
Lol, this guy has his own body shop. But I don't believe the story of how he got it either.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Lol, this guy has his own body shop. But I don't believe the story of how he got it either.
Hmmm, do you suppose he'll take it back and give you a refund now you know it won't work on your car?
Old 12-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Safety Car

sell it on ebay and use the money to buy some stage 2 camshaft and the proper hondata that you need. N/A is more reliable and less things can go wrong. I believe Gerzard was able to break 300whp N/A on his old AT TL before he got the tls 6spd.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Hmmm, do you suppose he'll take it back and give you a refund now you know it won't work on your car?
nah I didn't buy it. Not worth my time to resell it either. I'd rather use that time to build my skills at work and earn money that way.

p/s Ive had my car TL for over four years now and have never used to the tiptoe of option. I rather like it!!!

Is it safer for the tranny to use tiptronic when engaging the supercharger?

I called hondata auth. Dealer in portland and he was stumped aswell. He is calling hondata directly to find out if mine will work.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 12-19-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Buys B18B1 Cams, sells them as J32A3 Stage 7's You will need valve springs.

Paying some expensive tuition to get into the TL game.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Saving4aTL, after reading your posts in the various threads you've created, the 'back story' regarding the 'zombie apocalypse' purchase interaction involving this 'run for the hills' blower unit, it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to take you seriously. You are literally 'all over the place' like a jester playing the merry Andrew on this forum court, sorry.

With that said, IMHO, if you have '...reserved all that cash for this project!', then you should 'write-off' that disaster you purchased and 'stand in line' for either a new CT kit OR gerzand kit and move forward; moreover, picking one of those two options will finally show some prudence and ultimately give you that 'piece of mind' and reliability you seek over some JB Welded piecemeal Franken$tein mon$strou$ity.

Good Luck!

Last edited by zeta; 12-19-2017 at 01:37 PM.
teh CL (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 02:09 PM
Safety Car

Saving4aTL, after reading your posts in the various threads you've created, the 'back story' regarding the 'zombie apocalypse' purchase interaction involving this 'run for the hills' blower unit, it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to take you seriously. You are literally 'all over the place' like a jester playing the merry Andrew on this forum court, sorry.

With that said, IMHO, if you have '...reserved all that cash for this project!', then you should 'write-off' that disaster you purchased and 'stand in line' for either a new CT kit OR gerzand kit and move forward; moreover, picking one of those two options will finally show some prudence and ultimately give you that 'piece of mind' and reliability you seek over some JB Welded piecemeal Franken$tein mon$strou$ity.

Good Luck!
well said
Old 12-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

Justin, still wanna buy the supercharger? Free shipping!!

aisinboi, you wanna buy the Hondata? Cheap prices!!
Old 12-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Safety Car

Justin, still wanna buy the supercharger? Free shipping!!

aisinboi, you wanna buy the Hondata? Cheap prices!!
nope working on another project car.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:05 PM
Safety Car

nope working on another project car.
Didnt your buddy need it for his RDX?
Old 12-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Didnt your buddy need it for his RDX?
RDX flashpro won't work on his TL Ecu. same boat as you
Old 12-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Safety Car

Anyone know anyone selling a complete Comptech kit? New or used.

is XLR8 the cheapest place to buy it new?

Im told it take about three months to get a kit.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 12-19-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

Bro just buy some stage 2 camshaft and bolt on. It probably will make more power than the comptech s.c. Isn’t the supercharger like 4k and you gain 50whp?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Used SC's pop up every so often, just keep your eyes peeled.

What are you doing with the this SC?
Old 12-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by teh CL
Used SC's pop up every so often, just keep your eyes peeled.

What are you doing with the this SC?
what do you guys think of the blower on eBay currently? I'm about to buy it.

I think I'm going to sell this one. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Acura TL Builder's Ultimate Boost Thread