Best J-pipe for 2007 tl-s

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:37 PM
The obstacle is the path.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best J-pipe for 2007 tl-s

What would you guys recommend for the best j-pipes available for a 2007 Tl-s??

Just learned about them (yea im a noob), and in love with the fact that there bolt on so that it wont ruin my warranty

thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone is going to say xlr8 but I am buying the rv6 one. Better price and comes with a test pipe.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Racer

id say altp is best as far as flow, i have rv-6 and it is good and richie takes care of his customers, but i dont think the power it gains are equal to the altp version
Old 12-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
XLR8 is the best due to exhaust scavenging.

ATLP V2 is drop friendly (more than 2") and 1-2 whp short of the XLR8.

RV6 is a good deal, but won't show as much gains. The price of it for the difference of the power gained is all up to you if it is worth it.

RV6 PCD and test/race pipe are the best, considering quality, price, and performance.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by TheChamp531

RV6 is a good deal, but won't show as much gains. The price of it for the difference of the power gained is all up to you if it is worth it.

RV6 PCD and test/race pipe are the best, considering quality, price, and performance.
Oh ok thanks alot. But i read from one of the vendors blogs that the xlr8 wont make much noise if you keep your entire exhaust stock. Which one would you recommend(loud noise wise) considering i cant change anything thats not bolt on on my exhaust because of my strict warranty?

Thanks again
Old 12-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
none will make noise. What makes noise is the catback and precats.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by JordEZZZ
Oh ok thanks alot. But i read from one of the vendors blogs that the xlr8 wont make much noise if you keep your entire exhaust stock. Which one would you recommend(loud noise wise) considering i cant change anything thats not bolt on on my exhaust because of my strict warranty?

Thanks again
Originally Posted by AckTL05
exactly. No J-pipe will increase noise, may change the tone slightly, but very noticeable.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Is the precat or catback bolt on, on the 2007 tl-s? if so which is the better bang for the buck?

thanks
Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JordEZZZ
Is the precat or catback bolt on, on the 2007 tl-s? if so which is the better bang for the buck?

thanks
Both are bolt ons. The precats really open up the exhaust. Not sure if precats would affect warranty issues but you are removing part of the emissions system. You will see a nice increase in performance. Cat back is more for sound/look than power gains.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
id bought the atlp j pipe....i love it...
Old 12-07-2009, 11:14 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I ordered the ATLP cat back and once it comes in I'm doing the ATLP race pipe & j-pipe...they do a quality job & I'm sure the entire system from one manufacturer works together well.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 AM
RETIRED

exactly. No J-pipe will increase noise, may change the tone slightly, but very noticeable.
I'd like to point out that it doesn't change anything at all when it comes to noise.

Also, I have an ATLP V.2
Old 12-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

What exactly is "exhaust scavenging" about the XLR8 J-pipe in comparison to the ATLP J-Pipe (V1, or V2?)
Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by TimTim
I'd like to point out that it doesn't change anything at all when it comes to noise.

Also, I have an ATLP V.2
I meant "unnoticeable". My bad.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
What kind of gains can one get with the XLR8 Jpipe on a otherwise 100% stock 07 TL-S automatic?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by aznbo187
What exactly is "exhaust scavenging" about the XLR8 J-pipe in comparison to the ATLP J-Pipe (V1, or V2?)
Illustration of XLR8's longer primaries (click here)
The following users liked this post:
PrimeTimeTSA (12-01-2015)
Old 12-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
What kind of gains can one get with the XLR8 Jpipe on a otherwise 100% stock 07 TL-S automatic?
This pic below was the published dyno chart for the ATLP Version 1. The ATLP version 1 and XLR8 were nearly identical in design. Therefore, this dyno chart should give a good idea of the gains that you would get from the XLR8. I know that in my case when I installed the XLR8 jpipe, the gains for sure reflected this dyno chart.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
i have the rv6 and love it! i wouldn't go with anything else
Old 12-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
The above torque gains are pretty impressive. Any gains as far as HP go?

Whats the best place to buy the XLR8 jpipe for my 07 S?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28

Whats the best place to buy the XLR8 jpipe for my 07 S?
http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-236895.aspx
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
This pic below was the published dyno chart for the ATLP Version 1. The ATLP version 1 and XLR8 were nearly identical in design. Therefore, this dyno chart should give a good idea of the gains that you would get from the XLR8. I know that in my case when I installed the XLR8 jpipe, the gains for sure reflected this dyno chart.

Although you point out a good few points, I feel that it's a bit biased, and some important facts weren't mentioned. ATLP V1 & V2 produced the same gains, where we actually have all of the users that switched from the V1 to the V2 note that the V2 has not lost any power, and in few cases it was noted that it felt even stronger, but I'm sure it's just mental. Obviously the primaries are shorter (by about 15%), but that hasn't changed any of the performance. If it did, we wouldn't have produced it.

As you mentioned, principals aren't the same as they would be for headers as the primary cats and cast manifold affect a lot of the characteristics of exhaust flow prior to even arriving at the J-Pipe. We've done a lot of testing with various piping sizes from 1.75" to 2.5", various lengths, and designs. Because of the limitations that this is a post cat and not a true-header layout, there is only so much to what a J-Pipe can achieve. If you extended the primaries all the way back, would you see a gain? Probably not, as there is a certain balance where the velocity drops of, and that is where you implement a cross-over in order to utilize "scavenging" created from the individual pulses. At some point creating a longer pipe doesn't yield you any more results. And I believe both J-Pipes in question are right at that point where moving it back or fourth will theoretically yield half a horsepower, not realistically will not Also keep in mind, the I.D. is also larger than stock.

On a final note, here is the inside construction of our y-merge. I can't imagine it being any "smoother" than this?

Above dyno chart is actually a reflection of the ATLP J-Pipe V1, not the XLR8.

Sorry Inaccurate, you're going to have to make sense of this huge thought bubble in my head. If you want to discuss more feel free to PM me.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Safety Car

aznbo187,

I am in agreement with all of your points.

If you want to discuss more feel free to PM me.
This is a discussion that would benefit the readers. Best not taken offline (PM).

Above dyno chart is actually a reflection of the ATLP J-Pipe V1, not the XLR8.
Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I did attempt to make this point in my post. In my first sentence of my post (Post #17), I wrote "This pic below was the published dyno chart for the ATLP Version 1."

If you extended the primaries all the way back, would you see a gain? Probably not, as there is a certain balance where the velocity drops of, and that is where you implement a cross-over in order to utilize "scavenging" created from the individual pulses.
I agree. There is an optimum length at some point. More and more is not better.

We've done a lot of testing...
In my post in that other thread, I stated in the opening sentence that my post was "based on theory and conjecture." However, I am a firm believer in empirical data, collected from testing and/or observation/experience. As such, I concede. :surrender To me, your testing means more than my "theory and conjecture".

Although you point out a good few points, I feel that it's a bit biased
I have been known to exaggerate and be biased at times . I try to fight that natural instinct... just human at times.

And in closing, I would like to mention the following again (first posted in that other thread).

"We should appreciate that we TL owners have companies that are willing to produce performance goodies for our small market. As such, I try to point out the strengths of each company's product. The strength of the ATLP J-pipe (Version 2) is that it is slammed-friendly, providing more clearance for a lowered suspension."

Thank you to ATLP, Excelerate, Heeltoe, RonJon, and RV6 (in alphabetical order) for supporting our forum and our need for performance.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:48 PM

aznbo187,

This is a discussion that would benefit the readers. Best not taken offline (PM).

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I did attempt to make this point in my post. In my first sentence of my post (Post #17), I wrote "This pic below was the published dyno chart for the ATLP Version 1."

In my post in that other thread, I stated in the opening sentence that my post was "based on theory and conjecture." However, I am a firm believer in empirical data, collected from testing and/or observation/experience. As such, I concede. :surrender To me, your testing means more than my "theory and conjecture".

I have been known to exaggerate and be biased at times . I try to fight that natural instinct... just human at times.

And in closing, I would like to mention the following again (first posted in that other thread).

"We should appreciate that we TL owners have companies that are willing to produce performance goodies for our small market. As such, I try to point out the strengths of each company's product. The strength of the ATLP J-pipe (Version 2) is that it is slammed-friendly, providing more clearance for a lowered suspension."

Thank you to ATLP, Excelerate, Heeltoe, RonJon, and RV6 (in alphabetical order) for supporting our forum and our need for performance.
^^Where you in the 2008 presidential campaign? impressed..
Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Safety Car

aznbo187,

Thank you.