Anybody dynoed a 3rd Gen TL with CAI & Crunk Pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anybody dynoed a 3rd Gen TL with CAI & Crunk Pulley?

Im thinking of this mod soon... what do yall think? or
Old 12-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Cosmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Just recdeived my pulley today, but my wife is giving it to me for Christmas so I have to wait.

I would love to see a dyno too!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

Does the pulley have any negative effects on the charging or cooling system?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by joeincs
Just recdeived my pulley today, but my wife is giving it to me for Christmas so I have to wait.

I would love to see a dyno too!

thats sucks u have to wait til christmas man..lol
Old 12-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Abnmarine
Dont have the answer man but hopefully somebody will tell us whats the negative effects of it..
Old 12-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UR racing has been doing this for years. if you jut buy the underdrive pulley you should not have any noticable difference with chargin or cooling. they test the limits of the engine and all the aspects in order to come up with the proper sized pulley to keep everything running properly. I have had it on my car for over a month and their has been no problems.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blktl1
UR racing has been doing this for years. if you jut buy the underdrive pulley you should not have any noticable difference with chargin or cooling. they test the limits of the engine and all the aspects in order to come up with the proper sized pulley to keep everything running properly. I have had it on my car for over a month and their has been no problems.
How is it at idle with the headlights on? Does it still provide enought of a charge so as to not be drawing from the battery? I'm familar with under drive pulleys. Sometimes they don't allow enough charge when at idle with the accessorys on. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:34 AM
Racer

Estimate HP gain?

Whats the estimate HP for AEM CAI & CRANK PULLEY?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
How is it at idle with the headlights on? Does it still provide enought of a charge so as to not be drawing from the battery? I'm familar with under drive pulleys. Sometimes they don't allow enough charge when at idle with the accessorys on. Thanks.
like said before - you will not see any negative effects with the UR underdrive pulley like you could have with other brands in the past. They say you can have up to a 600 watt stereo before you may notice a drop in voltage
Old 12-15-2005, 02:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ou sig
like said before - you will not see any negative effects with the UR underdrive pulley like you could have with other brands in the past. They say you can have up to a 600 watt stereo before you may notice a drop in voltage
Thanks. Sounds like something for me to buy. I just didn't want any issues with it.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Racer

Question

what HP and torque gains when adding Crank pulley and AEM CAI? Anybody?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:12 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by Jrbn2g04AcuraTL
what HP and torque gains when adding Crank pulley and AEM CAI? Anybody?
AEM dyno. take it as is
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-...Acura%20TL.pdf

pulley i figured 5-10 mostly torque.

my goodness that AEM sound is intoxicating under full throttle.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:54 PM
it's 4:20

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i don't really think you will see actual hp, it is less rotating mass. It might rev a little quicker..my
Old 12-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Schulminator
i don't really think you will see actual hp, it is less rotating mass. It might rev a little quicker..my
but you'll gain in torque...but i think the pulley is lighter so u free up some HP definatly....but all it can do is help you so it dosn't hurt
Old 12-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Cosmo

I just read my instructions that came with the pulley and it states, "follow the crank pulley removal procedures specified in the factory manual", for my 5AT. Anyone have any idea what the correct procedure is to remove the pulley on an automatic?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:18 PM
Racer

AEM CAI + Crank Pulley = ??

Thanks guy... So, what yall think i should go ahead and put it in my car? I CANT MAKE UP MY MIND!!! LOL
Old 12-16-2005, 07:58 AM
it's 4:20

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
but you'll gain in torque...but i think the pulley is lighter so u free up some HP definatly....but all it can do is help you so it dosn't hurt
werd? it's like a light weight flywheel, yo don't gain actual whp, it frees up the motor, to rev a little faster. There won't be a huge difference.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Racer

I just read my instructions that came with the pulley and it states, "follow the crank pulley removal procedures specified in the factory manual", for my 5AT. Anyone have any idea what the correct procedure is to remove the pulley on an automatic?

Please let me know if its worth it, gains? thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 10:48 AM
tTLiang

Please let me know if its worth it, gains? thanks
hm......that's subjective. i personally wouldn't go thro all that trouble on the pulley for my daily commuter. if you want every single edge you can get then i guess. is it worth it?? hard to say. but, IMHO, i think we bot TLs for the luxury/features/performance combo. if you go too crazy on the performance side, might as well go for other cars. the AEM part is nice. very quiet unless you go full throttle and full throttle sounds great! i can really feel the difference but then again i'm just wasting gas right now.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ttliang
hm......that's subjective. i personally wouldn't go thro all that trouble on the pulley for my daily commuter. if you want every single edge you can get then i guess. is it worth it?? hard to say. but, IMHO, i think we bot TLs for the luxury/features/performance combo. if you go too crazy on the performance side, might as well go for other cars. the AEM part is nice. very quiet unless you go full throttle and full throttle sounds great! i can really feel the difference but then again i'm just wasting gas right now.

Well, the reason i want to gain some HP's/Torque because im adding weight on my car like 19" RJ Inspyre and RJ Body Kit.... The car felt heavy when accelerating when i added the rims.. so, i wonder how much acceleration will lose when i add the RJ BK...
Old 12-16-2005, 06:54 PM
tTLiang

Well, the reason i want to gain some HP's/Torque because im adding weight on my car like 19" RJ Inspyre and RJ Body Kit.... The car felt heavy when accelerating when i added the rims.. so, i wonder how much acceleration will lose when i add the RJ BK...
u are not kidding. speed channel did that RSX upgrade step by step program did u see it. they dyno everytime after they did an upgrade. one of those was bigger brakes. they actually lost 5(?) whp after just brake disks installation. bigger brakes = bigger diameter = need more power to spin it -> causing power loss. every little thing counts when modding cars. i guess that's where the word "rice" came from. people upgrade all the bling blings without even knowing that hurt their performance. bigger tires and rims (if not significantly lighter) will definetely hurt no question unless u r just going for the bling bling. ur $$$, nothing wrong with that. unless you dyno before and after all mods, ur guess is as good as mine. for example, adding a pound or 2 by going one size bigger tires will decrease ur accel. tirerack posts all tire weight you should take a look. bolt on like AEM i like cuz it's lighter and dynoed by people with the same make cars. HTH.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Racer

u are not kidding. speed channel did that RSX upgrade step by step program did u see it. they dyno everytime after they did an upgrade. one of those was bigger brakes. they actually lost 5(?) whp after just brake disks installation. bigger brakes = bigger diameter = need more power to spin it -> causing power loss. every little thing counts when modding cars. i guess that's where the word "rice" came from. people upgrade all the bling blings without even knowing that hurt their performance. bigger tires and rims (if not significantly lighter) will definetely hurt no question unless u r just going for the bling bling. ur $$$, nothing wrong with that. unless you dyno before and after all mods, ur guess is as good as mine. for example, adding a pound or 2 by going one size bigger tires will decrease ur accel. tirerack posts all tire weight you should take a look. bolt on like AEM i like cuz it's lighter and dynoed by people with the same make cars. HTH.

I guess ill just have to get the AEM CAI 1st for now and go from there... what ya think?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:23 PM
tTLiang

I guess ill just have to get the AEM CAI 1st for now and go from there... what ya think?
go with aem first. if you feel like too much power lol then u can upgrade to bigger tires for more traction i guess. i don't have that problem i can tell ya that.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:32 PM
NSX
10th Gear

go with aem first. if you feel like too much power lol then u can upgrade to bigger tires for more traction i guess. i don't have that problem i can tell ya that.
IMHO, leave the intake alone and do a custom exhaust first: catback 2.5", split to (2) 2" pipes and mufflers.... at your friendly neighborhood muffler shop. Nice 8-10 hp, and your oil stays cleaner than using an intake
Old 12-16-2005, 09:40 PM
NSX
10th Gear

oops meant to type 2.25" after split, but y'all knew that already right? this 5 min edit thing is too short when you're playing 3 tables of online poker at the same time...
Old 12-16-2005, 09:41 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by NSX
IMHO, leave the intake alone and do a custom exhaust first: catback 2.5", split to (2) 2" pipes and mufflers.... at your friendly neighborhood muffler shop. Nice 8-10 hp, and your oil stays cleaner than using an intake
$1000+ for 8-10hp hm....too rich for my $$$. plus it's too "rice" to me. that's just me tho. i'd like to see the dyno too for 8-10hp. i am kinda thinking no more than 5whp.

and loudness
Old 12-16-2005, 09:59 PM
NSX
10th Gear

oops meant to type 2.25" after split, but y'all knew that already right? this 5 min edit thing is too short when you're playing 3 tables of online poker at the same time...
Old 12-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Racer

Im tired with the loud mufflers.... so, replacing cat back/exhaust is not my option.. thanks for the suggestion though
Old 12-17-2005, 04:27 AM
Intermediate

i got the exhaust and aem cai and you notice a big jump in quickness not really speed. i hit 135 on one stretch with exhaust and the same 135 after cai but you definatley get a boost in quickness. i am putting on the ur pulley on wednesday along with my c/t springs and rsb. i will let you know. anyone with the ur pulley know if i need a new belt if so what part number?
Old 12-17-2005, 05:38 AM
Import and Domestic owner

I know they recommend gates. I cant give you the number off hand but it is in your directions. I couldnt find gates so I went with dayco and I have had no probs. The instruction manual for the pulley will give you the replacement number.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
I know they recommend gates. I cant give you the number off hand but it is in your directions. I couldnt find gates so I went with dayco and I have had no probs. The instruction manual for the pulley will give you the replacement number.

What you think of the crank pulley? Worth it? Is it gonna be a problem if put in a daily driven car?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Intermediate

What you think of the crank pulley? Worth it? Is it gonna be a problem if put in a daily driven car?
good lord man i think it already been said there are no negative effects of the ur pulley! and if you go with the magnaflow exhaust setup discussed in the other forum the exhaust wont be loud, just a little deeper, better performance. i kept my oem tips so it looks factory and sounds great.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:48 AM
Intermediate

i just put the crank pulley on, along with the rsb and ct springs. little noticable increase with the pulley. you move through the rpm band a little quicker. i got it to 140 where i previously could only get it to 135 ( in the same distance). i like the suspension upgrages the best though, can cruise through the curves with alot less bodyroll.

and i cant notice any changes that the pulley has made to any other system ie a/c radio etc...
Old 12-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Car Addict

Suggestion...

Call around... Dyno sessions are $50-75 for a few pulls. It would be interesting to see the #'s.

On LS1 Camaro/Firebirds an underdrive pulley was worth .5-1.0 tenths at the track (13.2 vs a 13.3). The CAI gains that folks lead me to believe that a CAI worth 1-2 tenths as well providing you can hook. I would think a car with a UD pulley and CAI would hit 13's no problem.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Suggestion...

Call around... Dyno sessions are $50-75 for a few pulls. It would be interesting to see the #'s.

On LS1 Camaro/Firebirds an underdrive pulley was worth .5-1.0 tenths at the track (13.2 vs a 13.3). The CAI gains that folks lead me to believe that a CAI worth 1-2 tenths as well providing you can hook. I would think a car with a UD pulley and CAI would hit 13's no problem.
Correct!
After I put the pulley on I was able to get into the 13's on my first pass down the track.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:16 AM
Intermediate

what was your exact time and mph when you got in the 13's?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Cosmo

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Suggestion...

I had mine dyno's this week, b4 I install the pulley. I'll have it done again after the install.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Pro

I had mine dyno's this week, b4 I install the pulley. I'll have it done again after the install.
Did this ever happen?
Old 01-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Intermediate

Correct!
After I put the pulley on I was able to get into the 13's on my first pass down the track.

you can't even run low 14's. still waiting for that time slip remember....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...9&page=1&pp=25