Another AEM review....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 02:58 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BigB2k5
No sticker or frame on my car,

Your going to need to get one of them 90 degree scren drivers. I had one thats like a rench type, not sure if the Z looking one will fit, but anyway, you will be able to get like 1-3 turns on the screen around the finder behind the lip. (top part is just a clip, lower one is screw..) then you have to use your finger and fight with it to get that screw all the way out... Then the braket will fall off... (you will need to remove front 2 screws also b4 this.). then you can look under the car and remove the clip and 2 bolts that are by the fender that help hold the lip on... After this you can flip the liner around the lip...

Now the hard part will be screwing the braket back on... It took me like 1 hour to get the screw back in because you have to get the bracket lined up, and screw in with your finder with your hand at an angle... once you get screw in enough you can fit the screwdriver tool in to tightn it...

Another option I was advised, was that you can drill a small hole in front of the screw your going to try to take out and put a screw driver through the hole... then fill hole in with something... Its not in a spot anyone would see really...

Hope this helps some... You will prob understand more once you go to do it..
FOR GODS SAKE--DONT LISTEN TO THIS GUY! DONT DRILL ANY UNNECESSARY HOLES FOR GODS SAKE! #1 - You do have to deal with this bracket....but if it took you over and hour to deal with this bracket alone....you should have probably stayed on the porch with the kids!

Ok folks...real easy....here ya go.....did it with a regular straight screwdriver....needed no "Z" driver or offset driver. The correct screw that should be in the hole you speak of should have a complete flattened head, allowing you to properly screw it in from an angle. Yes....you do need to pull the bodywork out of the way a very small bit to get it started....but it will work and should not take you any extra time (not more than 10 minutes max) AND FOR GODS SAKE....REQUIRES NO DRILLING! If you drill a hole there in that spot where he is talking about to get to the screwhead....you will have just permanently ruined your expensive body kit....or at least the front lip anyway! These panels will flex a bit so you can flex it out of the way and reattach it and screw it in from an angle....done it three times now! This is not as hard as this guy makes the install sound......you just gotta do your research first! You dont even need to remove the bumper had you done the research!

By the way, no AEM sticker install....but I did use the plate frame to replace the dealer plate frame that was on it before.....see below

Old 11-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By the way, I had that whistling sound everyone is talking about. It was there ALL THE TIME when I was just cruising highway speeds at low (2-3k) rpm. It was so annoying cause it was constantly there. Well, the other day I took off the filter, added some washers to the rubber grommet to prop the intake up a little bit (cause it fit at an angle to the throttle body) and screwed everything back in place. I'll be damned but the whistle is much less now! I think the whistle thing is just the right conditions making the air rush in there causing the whistle. If you slightly change the positioning it might help reduce (but not eliminate) the whistle. Seemed to work for me a little.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:36 PM
tTLiang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HEK
let me say that if I would have never done any work on any car it would be harder than it actually was for me, for example in the instructions it says to drain up to a gallon of antifreeze and save it so that you can reuse it, i didn't do that IMO it wasn't needed, also they never say to loosen the enitre wheel well liner which IMO you should to have the extra room while drilling 2 rivets...so if you're close to MA, Westfield MA $100 is too much, buy me a 30 pack and I'll do it on a weekend....it's time consuming but well worth it....it's my 4th Honda that I have installed a CAI and my 6th if you count my son's and a friend's car....

on all your cars, do they all have that whistling/hissing sound or just this TL? cuz i don't remeber hearing it on my friend's integra.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:42 PM
tTLiang

I thought AEM come with dry filter now or they are still using K&N type of filters? cuz someone here mentioned spraying oil on it which i thought was a no no. does it come with a splash guard or something like that? any of you use bypass valve?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ttliang
on all your cars, do they all have that whistling/hissing sound or just this TL? cuz i don't remeber hearing it on my friend's integra.
It's just the TL. I had a CAI on my RSX before this and the only sound that came from it was a low, deep, rumble. It was bad ass.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:10 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by millerrh
It's just the TL. I had a CAI on my RSX before this and the only sound that came from it was a low, deep, rumble. It was bad ass.
Ditto here...loved tor each 5600 RPM's that's when all Hell broke loose...
Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Advanced

Does anyone have any before and after dyno results of the AEM CAI?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Instructor

There's a sticky in the first part of this forum where they dyno'd the AEM with the Comptech exhaust. Got some pretty decent gains. Granted that was with both the intake AND exhaust, but it still should give you a good idea.