All in 1 about SRI - CAI (mostly SRI) :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
After driving my Type S for a while with the SRI, I'm pleased with it. I'm leaving mine just the way you see in the pictures above (without the AEM sticker).

I can feel minimal boost with the addition of the SRI. But my J-pipe plus the SRI and the Throttle Body Spacer gives me nice gains.
Steven, what kind of mpg did you get before and after the SRI install? Not highway or city specific, just overall mpg if you check that during fill ups
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^ Haven't measure that yet, but I will, if you want me to!

Before the SRI, I was getting 18-20/24-29 MPG.
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (07-10-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
I don't think AEM copied your intake. If they did copy it, the bends would need to be actally identical, which I doubt it is. The design may look the same, but the airflow will be different.

As you say something about not wanting higher rpm with CAI - this will not give you power higher up.

Think of a vacuum, build a car like one.

I think CAI will gain more than just 1-2 hp gain over SRI. Remember that this is all IAT that will give you better hp. Your IAT's are probably much cooler with the stock air box compared to an SRI, which is why some people will experience no power gain from it. Even maybe that the car in untuned from a SRI the ecu will suffer bad ARF making it suffer in mpg's.

I'm not saying SRI robs power, I'm actually agree SRI to a certain point. With a design and airflow, the temps could see good IAT's if a person know's how to build one. With a bad design, AFR could be ugly and could wash the cylinder bores and cause premature wear.

So my remedy is if people with the JnR ecu can chime in on the powers they are making with CAI and SRI, people will start to change their games a bit and start to think that when the engine is tuned, people will realize that the J32 will make more power with IAT number less than Sri's.

But for now, I don't have the JnR ecu to play with, but I can say is that in stock form if you found a way to make it breath better, kudos to you. Without actual numbers of before and after, dyno's, we can still just give out more opinions to the community and help out clear other problems. More brains, more testings will get this done faster.
justnspace (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,600 Posts
I was kiding on AEM copying my intake.

Think about bigger diameter intake pipe and longer one (CAI)
How will throotle pull all those air from there? Higher RPM
That's logic and that's what I read and saw everywhere

I am not going to talk about numbers on CAI or SRI, to me it doesn't make sense.

Reason:
How could you compare a SRI or CAI on a dyno?
This is not ecu or superch.
It totaly depends on the air.

Let's say you put the fan in front of the SRI. What difference will it make with CAI.
Many people here are thinking about easy swaps and daily driving.

You drive in city...will it still give you 1-2 more HP?
No

You have a CAI in city...sure open that throotle way more to make the car move
I didn't install CAI on my car but saw it on friends Type-S + read lots of post saying that CAI does reduce the low rpm power...or the take off

bouncer07 what do you say about covering the AEM SRI and cutting the air pipe before the resonator and extending it to the fender
(keeping the resonator)
Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

VS

The blue lines are the air sucking into the engine.

The 90's degree angel intake suffers
Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MEKO
I was kiding on AEM copying my intake.

Think about bigger diameter intake pipe and longer one (CAI)
How will throotle pull all those air from there? Higher RPM
That's logic and that's what I read and saw everywhere

I am not going to talk about numbers on CAI or SRI, to me it doesn't make sense.

Reason:
How could you compare a SRI or CAI on a dyno?
This is not ecu or superch.
It totaly depends on the air.

Let's say you put the fan in front of the SRI. What difference will it make with CAI.
Many people here are thinking about easy swaps and daily driving.

You drive in city...will it still give you 1-2 more HP?
No

You have a CAI in city...sure open that throotle way more to make the car move
I didn't install CAI on my car but saw it on friends Type-S + read lots of post saying that CAI does reduce the low rpm power...or the take off

bouncer07 what do you say about covering the AEM SRI and cutting the air pipe before the resonator and extending it to the fender
(keeping the resonator)

So say you're stock and want to do an intake. 3inch is overkill for stock. To even think about going bigger is when you know you're pulling in more air. (Ported runners, bigger TB, etc) To even go say 3inch intake on a stock car with only an intake, you'll lose power as more air in, less exiting.

You're pullin in air not from high rpm, but the whole RPM band. Now intake design will either gain top end or gain more low end just like any header design, jpipe design, it all effects your power band. With many intakes that I bought and installed into my previous cars, you'll know that CAI will give you more peak hp than a SRI.

As your custom AEM intake, just get a good welder to seal it up after it is cut.

CAI vs SRI debate is all about preferences. If there was a ice/carbon box or cowl induction intake or even the style like pwdJDM's intake would look neat inside the TL's engine bay where the batter is located.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

So... played with the heat shield today

I took my small piece and with small pieces of card board, slowly by taking my time, created this...

Started from bottom...so right now there is no way air escaping somewhere else.
And only opened part is the right top part you see

When I will close the 2 right and left...boom no more gap to the engine from the bottom of the SRI tube

See the bottom?
Only gap...
and about to close

Nooo way heat getting in from the left side
I could also close the right side too but didn't want it.
Don't think it could pull lot of warm air from there + filter is aiming down...soo

--------------------

I have some doubts about removing resonator or keeping it but cutting the pipe and extending it.
I check the fender with a flashlight....
The unknow tube... which is

iss right on top of the fender area... so close
air goes up from the fender and enters here directly...that close

so I have doubts on how will air go down in to the CAI area or if we remove the resonator and extend a pipe...

anyways

I replaced the pipe that I connected the air pipes

bigger diameter on the top area so it grabs all the air

it's a pvc pipe...after a long drive...still the coldest part in the engine bay

-----------------

liiitle uphill

I really don't love starting from 0 with this car but I know on highway that intake will answer...

Will see..
Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
awesome work Meko...

about the debate between CAI and SRI, both will gain power when compared to stock, but SRI gives you more power down low and the CAI moves the power band in the higher rpm...

I agree with bouncer about the IAT...IAT's being close to Ambient Temps are very important for your power/performance....the minute the IAT's go high the engine pulls major timing....I have logged those parameters many many time and seen this....

I went in for a 4" CAI with a 4" inlet and 9" long AEM filter....the CAI was sitting right behind the radiator fan and sucking on that hot air and it got crazy hot....at which point i cut the CAI and made it into an SRI so now the filter sits in front of the fuse box....this resulted in lower underhood temps....

I will be modifying it to get some more air in from the lower vents, but this project will take some time
Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Team Owner

Call me crazy, but the SRI combined with the J-pipe and maybe even the TBS lately has sounded and felt a lot huskier.

Getting a nice, throaty sound out of it. Seems like a little more power too.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks Anil, it's miuch better right now. I think I will try it by closing the top too.
I thought about going to a metal shop or something and make a custom box for that place and powdercoat it. I found one place but I am not sure yet. It might be costly.

I will give it a try tho.. I think
Show him and ask a price

How it looks rightnow

And dude you do everyhthing to this TL but why don't you cover the intake?
How are you going to modify the lower went? How about rain?

You have to cover that filter if you ask me.

----

I agree Steven.
Did you notice any performance lost after a long city driving?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
any update on mpgs on a tank of gas?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Suzuka Master

I got nice updates. Couln't upload pics last night.
Will today.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Old 07-19-2012, 09:30 AM

MEKO, you just went on my bad list LOL...

no i am not going to over the air filter....i have lost a lot of weight and am not putting the weight back on....another thing is I have a little hood pop and you can see the filter from the side and i like it, more fresh cool air....

yes my filter is exposed to a little water but people need to realize this that they wont hydrolock their engine from little drops of water on your intake filter....to hydrolock your engine your intake has to be submerged in water and you have to gun the gas pedal....
Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Suzuka Master

haha

you just answered everything dude
true
and sooory i forgot the diet while writing that hehe
Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts

I did this on Sunday.
Direct path to the engine AND i'm drawing from cooler air
Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 AM

very well done Justn....and you are using the stock air filter and box right?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jungy4
So I knew about the K&N intake having mounts to firmly attach the pipe so it doesn't move.

How did you solve this problem with the Amazon AEM intake? Or do you not see any problems leaving the intake just hang from the TB?
I have mine hanging from the TB right now as my kit didn't include the mount/bracket that MEKO has.

But, from 'Steven Bell's pics I don't think he has the bracket either. Steven - Have you had any issues with movement or anything?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Well done Justn but I got some questions.

How is the sound right now, after removing the resonator?
Lot's of comments saying gets soo loud but can't trust those.

----

Here are my thoughts.

Did you remove the front fender?
Right side of the fender is the part where air goes directly upward.
Since no CAI, removing it won't harm the intake such as rain or other...

What if you take out the extended pipe you put there and add velocity stack?

Because your extended pipe is kind of facing down, and yellow arrows which are the air, goes directly in to that pipe.
Someone correct me if i am wrong, but that what I saw from looking at the fender with a light.

This is what another member did

Soory for the bad drawings I am in my psychology class right now
Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM

I used the stock velocity stack near the battery.

I upgraded to a 2008 tl-s bumper. But I have not bought the fogs.
the velocity stack is sitting RIGHT next to the fog light opening.

I took off that piece you have drawn in red.

I took the factory velocity stack and stuck it right where the resonator used to be.
thus making it a true COLD air intake
MEKO (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM

@ browsing and posting in your class....pay attention

but Justn i totally agree with Meko...it slipped me completely to ask you if you had removed the little plastic piece in bumper's lower grille....

also if you removed the coupler and added a velocity stack right there, it would prolly end up giving you some more gains (IMO)

EDIT: too late....you already answered the question
Old 07-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

bro all he does is talk
soo im listening and typing at the same time
he thinks im taking notes but...yeah notes haha

Cool Justn. Give us update on the diffrernce.
Did it get louder?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:55 AM

I thought there was going to be a LOUD difference.
like, most CAI...you can really hear it standing out side.

not the case with this.
it sound stock-ish.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
MEkO glad you took time to explain this as I certainly did not have patience to write all this up...but with that being said and since no one with a JnR tune has chimed in as many don't have their ECU's yet or what not.....

here is what I can say and have said a million times CAI over SRI and SRI over Stock....as you said with correct mods you are getting cool air to the air filter and get better low end torque........I dyno'd my TL-S with SRI and full RV6 exhaust and the gains were exceptional and same as with someone with CAI and similar set-up as me....

I believe also somewhere where Rodney dyno'd a stock intake box and then removed the intake box and it showed gains...again not real world as I know people will argue the point of hood being up and fan blowing and what not. I say this going 90plus mph you think you are not getting air flowing of course you are.....so heat soak will happen whether you have SRI or stock airbox...as the air coming in is in front of battery and at the point where engine gets super hot say sitting in traffic 90plus weather then you are screwed weather you are SRI or stock....this CAI may be at a slight advantage but I say slight because it is sitting away from engine bay yes but highway asphalt on a sunny day is not the coldest either and if can get really hot from other cars and whatnot....you get the point

so in terms of mpg I can say I has been better for me but also I am tuned so this helps my case better

I went on a recent trip and I went 450 miles and filled the tank up with 14.6gallons or so so roughly avg 30-31mpg going between speeds of 65-80mph so not bad whatsoever from 3.5L TL-S

On a sidenote MEKO if you do find a place that makes a custom box for your air filter please let me know as I been looking to do this but been delaying as other things in life have taken priority....

I say again after 3yrs with my SRI I am not disappointed and have not had no issues making me want to go CAI.....

I will say this though to be clear when I say SRI i mean this style set-up and not the ghetto remove stock airbox and place filter right at the TB !!! Yes this is a no-no and when someone is thinking of SRI they picture this then yes you are right that you will lose power over stock unit. The filter at this location is not receiving fresh air from nowhere!!!

Just my 2cents on this matter since it was a thread well written and I believe someone asked about a member with JnR ECU to chime in with SRI!
MEKO (07-20-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Team Owner

I agree Steven.
Did you notice any performance lost after a long city driving?

No, not so far. No changes or differences.

Originally Posted by TexanAttorney
I have mine hanging from the TB right now as my kit didn't include the mount/bracket that MEKO has.

But, from 'Steven Bell's pics I don't think he has the bracket either. Steven - Have you had any issues with movement or anything?

No issues whatsoever.
MEKO (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

I totaly agree with you BostonSilver.. totally
Nicely summarized

Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
I will say this though to be clear when I say SRI i mean this style set-up and not the ghetto remove stock airbox and place filter right at the TB !!! Yes this is a no-no and when someone is thinking of SRI they picture this then yes you are right that you will lose power over stock unit. The filter at this location is not receiving fresh air from nowhere!!!
Again, that goes to the posts that say stock is much better than SRI.
After you know what's going on there and did some mods, you really feel the difference.

I also felt the differrence after the shield I did.
I will go the shop today and ask them about a icebox.
If they can't do it, I will ask the friend at Bernardi Acura.
He is the one told me about it, he got EVO and STI + crazy mods under the hood

Thanks for the post again, yeah JnR ECU with SRI was asked..
Old 07-20-2012, 10:24 AM

Boston as usual you wrote an AWESOME POST !!! well written and had all the info....

the only 1 thing which i kinda disagree with is CAI > SRI...its more of a preference....

if you see the CAI moves the power band towards the top end because of the longer tube....the longer tube is the reason the air has more velocity....where as the SRI moves the power band more towards the low end because of the "availability" of the air....now you will gain a lot more if you do something in the middle of a CAI and SRI and add a velocity stack and run it with a panty hose filter....this will gain you a lot....

I have seen this guy on the V6 performance forum (the guys because of which I went to a 4" intake) and he ran a 4" intake (medium length) with a velocity stack and a panty hose filter and gained more than 10HP to the wheels and all over the power band....the only thing which scared me was the panty hose filter....else I would have been running that right now....
Old 07-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
^ true indeed when the right mods are done and depending on vehicle and SRI location yes at times can yield more whp...but I was trying to keep it basic and in general perspective that CAI will yield more whp but saying this I can say peak hp and not power under the curve or low end, but didn't want to confuse anyone so just kept it simple!

When done right as you stated yes it can be very effective but at the same time.....for examply the guy getting 10whp running a panty hose filter, how long do you think his motor will last compared with someone running a better filter??

I mean if I didnt car how long I need my motor and longevity I would run a custom pipe and drill a hole in my bumper and run ram air style with no filter....Now I can guarantee I will yield the best numbers to the wheels but at what price and for how long? Not very long till I get all types of issues going in with all sorts of crap going into the motor.

p.s. I been thinking of cutting up my heat shield which I had removed from under the car which sits above the third cat....being that it is a heat shield, I could cut it and make it fit where it protects the air filter from the heat of the engine and helping the heat stay away....If I end up getting it on I will post some pics of the results

Last edited by BostonSilverTypeS; 07-21-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:33 AM

^^^ actually a panty hose "filter" is more restrictive than even an OEM filter...so higher filteration
Old 07-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
No issues whatsoever.
Thank you for the update
Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Member wondered

take off from 2500 rpm on 4th gear
Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 PM

^^^ did you gun the pedal? 4th gear 2500rpm 65mph to 4th gear 3500rpm ~83mph was about 6-7 seconds in the video....hence am asking this....
Old 07-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes floored it... i'm positive
but not sure of the road... most likely straight
I-90

slow right?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Tested 14 gal
Stayed at parents

Drove to Boston for school every morning (20 miles)

Mostly morning traffics + city during the day
At night? Empty highways driving (20 miles) to parents

Drove like a normal human being... first time
in city it was around 19-20 MPG

yes i did floored it couple times after red sox game at night, couldn't hold my self
and lowest I saw was 18. This is in city

after half tank, MPG didn't change
said 19 all the time, sometimes 22 on highways (after driving 20 minutes)
as you know it doensn't change directly when the needle pass the first quarter

if you reset it during highways, then it will tell the exact highway MPG,
not the average till half tank

Total driving hour was 10 hours 40 minutes
Dist 280 miles
when I filled it, said 14 gal
13.9 to be exact

Morning time, it was 75+F
Day time, 85+F

Finished the tank in 2 or 3 days but did lot of city driving

I am actually impressed
half tank was 142 but this is when you drive like a normal person

no wot wot
no exhaust sound
no vtec
no intake

and im not doing it again, can't hold my self i don't care gas is cheap here

it's exactly 3x in Istanbul

BUT!!!!!!!

when you drive hard in city with SRI while it's crazy hot outside, then god bless your mpg

MPG will drop way more than stock intake
if you drive normal, it will be same as stock intake
the cold air that comes to it will be enough for the throotle
that's why I got 19 or 20 in city

in highway, no problem

----

Give some comments people, i totaly forgot the stock intake
is that 2500 rpm 4th gear slow?
any videos of stock?

And Bostonsilver, I still couldn't go to that custom metal shop. Friday is the only day and missed it last week. So will definitely try tomorrow.

Takeoff before I filled the tank on that morning...like 7am

Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 AM

Yes floored it... i'm positive
but not sure of the road... most likely straight
I-90

slow right?
faster than most TL out there

and i just wanted to know if you were easy on the pedal or, all the way low....

another reason I gutted my car is coz i felt pretty powerless in 4th and 5th....
Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM

also....you should get more gas mileage if you coast and go easy on the pedal....highways i get 34MPG...mixed i get 26-27MPG and all city i get 20-22MPG....

i think city driving is mostly about coasting....going easy into the throttle....shifting early (2000-2200 rpm)....
Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by swoosh

another reason I gutted my car is coz i felt pretty powerless in 4th and 5th....
really..
okey, I will test it again, im positive, straight road and floored it but still...
also I'll do one during the day

yeah pedal at the lowest
not easy on the pedal

to be honest i love flooring it at 4th gear at 75mph
the car does make you feel the torque and im not sure where the rpm is during 4th gear at 75mph but stage 2 exhaust does sound sexy with SRI and luuuuve hearing it
Old 07-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh

To be honest if that is faster then most tl's out there then im very suprised. I always complained about my car being torqueless and tought I had a problem but from what i see here I guess was wrong.

Im not gonna say anything as a fact but i think my Tl picks up speed in fourth eaiser with the stock intake... I do have HFC_V3JPipe_comptech exhaust tough.

You guys can say what ever you want but i when i removed my K&N Intake and put the stock intake back in, I felt that the the low end improved very much so...
Old 07-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
I'll tell you what the best intake is....

/thread
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
To be honest if that is faster then most tl's out there then im very suprised. I always complained about my car being torqueless and tought I had a problem but from what i see here I guess was wrong.

Im not gonna say anything as a fact but i think my Tl picks up speed in fourth eaiser with the stock intake... I do have HFC_V3JPipe_comptech exhaust tough.

You guys can say what ever you want but i when i removed my K&N Intake and put the stock intake back in, I felt that the the low end improved very much so...
BukvaMan i got stock cats stock j-pipe stock exhaust.
Which SRI or CAI K&N, which one were you using?
As I mentioned before in my progress thread, we installed K&N CAI to friends 08 Type-S, my low end power was much more, after feeling that, I never installed CAI to my car.

That was the main reason, other wise I would've deifnitely try my K&N as a CAI to see what it's like

Quick Reply: All in 1 about SRI - CAI (mostly SRI) :)