Aftermarket Clutch/Flywheel ?

Old 10-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aftermarket Clutch/Flywheel ?

How's it going, I just recently found out I need a new clutch, my car was acting really weird but luckily I found a forum with someone who had the same exact symptoms (wouldn't go in to gear clutch pedal kinda stuck, etc.) So I found out it was time for a new clutch.
I'm going to apologize if this has already been answered but I've been looking everywhere for threads about aftermarket clutches and anything I find is 2011 or older.
Now, by next spring I plan to at least start doing bolt ons, tune, and hopefully build the motor etc., I'm looking for around 300 whp when it's all said and done (probably a year or two) I do mostly highway driving so I'm not worried if the clutch is stiff (drove a nissan with stage 2 and I loved how it felt) but I've heard something like a puck clutch is impossible to daily. So my question is; what clutch/flywheel combination should I look at to hold some decent power for my daily, and still be within a considerable price range (I can spend about 1,100 in parts before labor costs right now). Thanks for your time.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
Because the clutch pedal sunk doesnt necessarily means u have a bad clutch... Could be bad clutch master cyl.. Bad slave cyl or a leak in the lines too... As for clutch n flywheel if you are a type S from what i understand stock clutch n p2r pressure plate can easily hold that... A fidanza flywheel should be good too.. A lot of ppl think if they get all these different stage clutches is better when infact you may tear up your trans or internals messing with stage 3 clutches n crap like that... Highest for a 300whp should be a stage 1 clutch.. Just cause the numbers go up or the clutch is stiffer doesnt make it better in all cases
Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Because the clutch pedal sunk doesnt necessarily means u have a bad clutch... Could be bad clutch master cyl.. Bad slave cyl or a leak in the lines too... As for clutch n flywheel if you are a type S from what i understand stock clutch n p2r pressure plate can easily hold that... A fidanza flywheel should be good too.. A lot of ppl think if they get all these different stage clutches is better when infact you may tear up your trans or internals messing with stage 3 clutches n crap like that... Highest for a 300whp should be a stage 1 clutch.. Just cause the numbers go up or the clutch is stiffer doesnt make it better in all cases
Thanks for that info! Sorry, I should've specified, it's a 2005 6mt base model. I was told to check the cmc, slave cyl and also the lines and I plan on having it diagnosed by the dealer asap, however, I figured if I was making more power and I'm over 130k on the factory clutch (second owner) I would need a new clutch anyway, I might as well get that done now. I was searching my symptoms and they matched exactly to this thread
-http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2288997.html
It looks like he ended up needing a new clutch so that's what I'm preparing myself for, just looking for recommendations or info on the best replacement for my needs.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Modassir
Thanks for that info! Sorry, I should've specified, it's a 2005 6mt base model. I was told to check the cmc, slave cyl and also the lines and I plan on having it diagnosed by the dealer asap, however, I figured if I was making more power and I'm over 130k on the factory clutch (second owner) I would need a new clutch anyway, I might as well get that done now. I was searching my symptoms and they matched exactly to this thread
-http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2288997.html
It looks like he ended up needing a new clutch so that's what I'm preparing myself for, just looking for recommendations or info on the best replacement for my needs.
You are better off getting the OEM clutch. Changing to an aftermarket setup is expensive and not needed grip wise until around 340 WHP. That said many people don't like the non conventional stock clutch setup in the TL. A conventional clutch setup has a solid flywheel with a sprung clutch disc. ( springs in the middle of the disc you can see ). The TL uses a sprung flywheel and a solid clutch disc. This is why you have to buy a new flywheel, disc and pressure plate when switching to an aftermarket setup using the conventional style clutch and what makes it much more expensive than using the OEM clutch.

I used a 6 puck clutch disc (P2R) with the stock flywheel and pressure plate and it was ok but, the pressure plate didn't have the grip to hold for very long at higher boost levels. I haven't driven a car with a lightweight flywheel but, the conventional clutch would be nice and might be worth the extra money and issues the lightweight flywheel might cause. I now have a twin disc clutch that I haven't driven yet and should fix any slipping issues I was having.

Last edited by Hi speed; 10-17-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hi speed
You are better off getting the OEM clutch. Changing to an aftermarket setup is expensive and not needed grip wise until around 340 WHP. That said many people don't like the non conventional stock clutch setup in the TL. A conventional clutch setup has a solid flywheel with a sprung clutch disc. ( springs in the middle of the disc you can see ). The TL uses a sprung flywheel and a solid clutch disc. This is why you have to buy a new flywheel, disc and pressure plate when switching to an aftermarket setup using the conventional style clutch and what makes it much more expensive than using the OEM clutch.

I used a 6 puck clutch disc (P2R) with the stock flywheel and pressure plate and it was ok but, the pressure plate didn't have the grip to hold for very long at higher boost levels. I haven't driven a car with a lightweight flywheel but, the conventional clutch would be nice and might be worth the extra money and issues the lightweight flywheel might cause. I now have a twin disc clutch that I haven't driven yet and should fix any slipping issues I was having.
Okay, good to know, that saves me a lot of money haha. I read somewhere that the LUK TL clutch is OEM. Is there anything else I should get? My friend told me I would need to get my pressure plate replaced also. I know the flywheel has to be resurfaced or replaced but I'm completely new to this, and what I've read on the forums so far has kind of just confused me.

This is where I'm looking to get the clutch:

2004-2008 Acura TL Clutch Kit - Clutch - LUK 04-08 TL Clutch Kit - 17777-07088976 - PartsGeek

Thanks again for your time, I appreciate it.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Also, I've heard about the OEM clutch being paired with an AASCO Lightweight Flywheel if anyone could chime in about that
Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 PM
runnin a little boost

Also, I've heard about the OEM clutch being paired with an AASCO Lightweight Flywheel if anyone could chime in about that
Absolutely not. That's mixing the conventional and non conventional clutch materials. The LW flywheel is solid and will not work with an unsprung clutch disk.
The following users liked this post:
Modassir (10-19-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
^ didn't sonic have this set up?
Old 10-19-2014, 12:11 AM
Burning Brakes

There is no flywheel unfortunately that works for the 04-06 6mt... Ive spent some time checking this out... Sonnic n atlas n everyone with other flywheels have other cars.. Something about the 04-06 tl's and i cant quite remember but it wont work.... Physically it bolts fine but something about the flywheel that causes a weird harsh shifts and more... Clutch wise im 155k and still can beat on mines fine... Ill eventually get the p2r pressure plate to pair with OEM because that does feel pretty good.. If anyone find a good lightweight flywheel for the TL 04-06 id like to know how n the experience
Modassir (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Safety Car

doesn't the CL-S flywheel work? The issue was with the 07-08 because of the different teeth count right? Correct me if I am wrong
Old 10-19-2014, 01:22 PM
runnin a little boost

There is no flywheel unfortunately that works for the 04-06 6mt... Ive spent some time checking this out... Sonnic n atlas n everyone with other flywheels have other cars.. Something about the 04-06 tl's and i cant quite remember but it wont work.... Physically it bolts fine but something about the flywheel that causes a weird harsh shifts and more... Clutch wise im 155k and still can beat on mines fine... Ill eventually get the p2r pressure plate to pair with OEM because that does feel pretty good.. If anyone find a good lightweight flywheel for the TL 04-06 id like to know how n the experience
I could be wrong but, I think Assco fixed the starter ring problems for the 04-06 cars. The issue with using a solid flywheel and a solid clutch disc is the harsh shifts since you don't have any flex or dampening in the system. It may be possible to drive the car but, is damaging the transmission and other parts with the extra stress of the harsh engagements even when driven carefully.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Alright looks like I'm going OEM everything haha thanks for everyone's input!
Kimberly Bounharsa (06-17-2020)
Old 10-19-2014, 05:22 PM
runnin a little boost

Alright looks like I'm going OEM everything haha thanks for everyone's input!
I think your really better off going that direction. OEM is cheaper, more durable and will easily hold 100+ more HP that the engine makes stock. I never had my stock clutch slip, I just changed to the 6 puck because I was going turbo and needed something with more grip. I drove the car with the stock clutch for 30k miles with the supercharger with no issues and the disc looked petty good when removed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hi speed:
InFaMouSLink (10-29-2014), Modassir (10-20-2014), Undying Dreams (02-24-2017)
Old 10-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I could be wrong but, I think Assco fixed the starter ring problems for the 04-06 cars. The issue with using a solid flywheel and a solid clutch disc is the harsh shifts since you don't have any flex or dampening in the system. It may be possible to drive the car but, is damaging the transmission and other parts with the extra stress of the harsh engagements even when driven carefully.
I havent seen it anywhere.. Mine is a daily driver and as much as i would love the free up HP and tq boost i would love to keep some comfort lol
Old 10-19-2014, 11:51 PM
runnin a little boost

I havent seen it anywhere.. Mine is a daily driver and as much as i would love the free up HP and tq boost i would love to keep some comfort lol
I'm not sure how much the LW flywheel would hurt the driving experience as far as stop and go traffic since the car has a fair amount of TQ. The regular clutch would be nice. If you still have to go thru removing your stock starter ring from the flywheel and have it welded that would suck. My current setup is a Assco flywheel I believe and starts like stock. I bought it used and may have been modified to work right for the 04-06 starters.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Maybe because im coming from a nissan im a tad biased lol... Car has no tq.. Its shit lmao... I do track every once in a blue moon... But haven seen where the aasco worked in 04-06..
Old 10-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Advanced

I think your really better off going that direction. OEM is cheaper, more durable and will easily hold 100+ more HP that the engine makes stock. I never had my stock clutch slip, I just changed to the 6 puck because I was going turbo and needed something with more grip. I drove the car with the stock clutch for 30k miles with the supercharger with no issues and the disc looked petty good when removed.
Yeah I'm mostly just looking at bolt ons now no boost yet, in the future, when I can afford to boost I'll look into an upgraded clutch set up. I'll probably be keeping a close eye on what you end up going with haha
Old 10-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 595 Likes on 408 Posts
An aftermarket setup is definitely worth it if you're looking for performance over the stock setup.

Though this is mostly for a Type S, check out his thread, good info here, and the vendors that are discussed are pretty much the ones that offer aftermarket flywheels / clutches for our TLs (not sure about 04-06 base models, but check):

https://acurazine.com/forums/perform...ch-kit-904261/
Modassir (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
An aftermarket setup is definitely worth it if you're looking for performance over the stock setup.

Though this is mostly for a Type S, check out his thread, good info here, and the vendors that are discussed are pretty much the ones that offer aftermarket flywheels / clutches for our TLs (not sure about 04-06 base models, but check):

https://acurazine.com/forums/perform...ch-kit-904261/
Thank you! Will do
Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

There is no flywheel unfortunately that works for the 04-06 6mt...
Heeltow shows one, from AASCO (even though it's not on the AASCO website):

AASCO Aluminum Flywheel, 2004-06 Acura TL / 2001-03 Acura CL / 2003-07 Honda Accord, 103212-11 - HeelToe Automotive

Confirm with Marcus from Heeltoe that it's for the 04-06 base 6mt.

A Stage 1 or 2 clutch + solid single mass flywheel will feel just like stock in this car, or within ~10-20% of the OEM pedal feel. It drives fine, have no fear.

Last edited by FamilyGuy; 10-21-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Heeltow shows one, from AASCO (even though it's not on the AASCO website):

AASCO Aluminum Flywheel, 2004-06 Acura TL / 2001-03 Acura CL / 2003-07 Honda Accord, 103212-11 - HeelToe Automotive

Confirm with Marcus from Heeltoe that it's for the 04-06 base 6mt.

A Stage 1 or 2 clutch + solid single mass flywheel will feel just like stock in this car, or within ~10-20% of the OEM pedal feel. It drives fine, have no fear.
Oh wow.. A confirmation would be nice on that flywheel... As for the clutch goes i actually like oem... Like i said earlier i would probably add a p2r pressure plate for the added abuse
Old 10-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I had this setup and fsttyms1 has had this setup on his 3.7 build for over 10 k miles without any issues. For me, it engaged just like stock and grabbed very nicely

Sonnick is using the clutchmasters fx250 with their flywheel ( an aasco with aascos name shaved off, LOL) and he said it grabs HARD.

When I had the final drive installed, I opted for the spec stage 3+ and haven't had any issues with it thus far. The clutch pedal is about %50 more stiff than stock

Last edited by simione; 10-22-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Sonnick (10-24-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Oh wow.. A confirmation would be nice on that flywheel... As for the clutch goes i actually like oem... Like i said earlier i would probably add a p2r pressure plate for the added abuse
if I am not mistaken, P2r only makes an upgraded disc, not a pressure plate
Grand_hustle17 (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

You know what..... You could be right lmao
Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh wow.. A confirmation would be nice on that flywheel... As for the clutch goes i actually like oem...
XLR8 Performance also shows the AASCO flywheel on their site for the 04-06 TL, and I believe Clutchmasters' clutches retain the stock pressure plate design (self-adjusting). Just make a few calls and you'll find out everything you need. The photos of the products are generic pics, so you need to follow up with the vendors, but it looks like the base model TL has options. Like I said, it's def worth it if you're looking to maximize performance. Together with a lightweight pulley, the first 3 gears pull much harder than stock with the reduced weight.

A Spec stage 1 or 2 (they also show a lightweight flywheel for a base model TL), or a CM FX250 or FX350 would feel very much like stock, but grab harder and free up a few hp.

Also, remove the delay valve from your slave cylinder, and your clutch will feel like any other normal car.

Last edited by FamilyGuy; 10-22-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Instructor

XLR8 Performance also shows the AASCO flywheel on their site for the 04-06 TL, and I believe Clutchmasters' clutches retain the stock pressure plate design (self-adjusting). Just make a few calls and you'll find out everything you need. The photos of the products are generic pics, so you need to follow up with the vendors, but it looks like the base model TL has options. Like I said, it's def worth it if you're looking to maximize performance. Together with a lightweight pulley, the first 3 gears pull much harder than stock with the reduced weight.

A Spec stage 1 or 2 (they also show a lightweight flywheel for a base model TL), or a CM FX250 or FX350 would feel very much like stock, but grab harder and free up a few hp.

Also, remove the delay valve from your slave cylinder, and your clutch will feel like any other normal car.
clutchmasters does not use SAC, and depending on if you order the spec clutch with their flywheel, determines whether or not you get a beefed up sac pressure plate or not. I have aasco flywheel, so I received a beefed up sac pressure plate. If you get their flywheel, it eliminates SAC. Gerzand has spec stage 3 with their flywheel, had he said the pedal feels like stock and it grabs really good
Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by simione
clutchmasters does not use SAC, and depending on if you order the spec clutch with their flywheel, determines whether or not you get a beefed up sac pressure plate or not. I have aasco flywheel, so I received a beefed up sac pressure plate. If you get their flywheel, it eliminates SAC. Gerzand has spec stage 3 with their flywheel, had he said the pedal feels like stock and it grabs really good
Maybe it's different now or for base models, but earlier this year when I did mine, for a Type S, Clutchmaster's was SAC and Spec wasn't, and IIRC neither company offered both design options.

You can clearly see the Clutchmaster's SAC on the video from member camrtm3 on the other thread I linked above (towards bottom of 1st page). In fact, take a good look, because you'll notice it's a LUK unit. All CM does, supposedly, is change out the springs for stronger ones, or so they say. Their flywheel isn't theirs either, it's an AASCO unit. So basically all CM does is paint some shit white and charge you more money for it.

When I did mine, Spec showed both OEM (SAC) and non-SAC model numbers on their site, but when I spoke with them they said the site needed to be updated, because they discontinued the OEM style ones and were only offering the non-SAC models, which is what I got. These pressure plates are stronger than the OEM SAC designs.

In any case, anyone looking at theirs today - just pick up the phone, make a few calls and see what each company is offering right now for your model TL
Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Dang. Sonnicks fx250 and Aasco flywheel is not SAC. Sorry if I misinformed anyone
Old 10-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Has anyone here used a K series setup? I plan to do that when I do a clutch. It's not a 'direct' bolt in, but it opens a lot of doors for aftermarket clutches.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
We're working on putting together a package. It will use an AASCO flywheel and custom clutch kit we're having designed. It should be streetable and more durable than any other kit on the market.

In the meantime, for those who need something soon a CM clutch setup will probably be the best option.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

^ price range?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:50 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
I have a TL transmission and the CM FX250 setup works just fine with their (AASCO) flywheel. I get chatter from time to time but otherwise it's a great setup and grabs HARD. I chirp 4th nearly every time I shift hard. The engagement point is definitely lower than stock as well, and the pedal pressure feels just like stock, dare I say even a wee bit lighter.
InFaMouSLink (10-29-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Thats what i dont want lol... Chatter
Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
The problem was never with the 04-06, it was with the 07-08. People using the 04-06 wheel in th e07-08 found out the hard way the ring gear changed. We worked directly with AASCO, with Sonnick's help, to produce the 07-08 wheel.

He said he confirmed it actually, with us We have a few people running this flywheel in 3g TLs without complaint.

Yes, CM uses the self-adjusting clutch. But it is upgraded. Don't let anyone tell you that any clutch is anything more than a stock-upgraded unit (short of it being a custom multi-plate setup, that is). That's all these aftermarket clutches...stock parts with different material on the disc and upgrades done to the covers (pressure plates).

Originally Posted by Sonnick
I have a TL transmission and the CM FX250 setup works just fine with their (AASCO) flywheel. I get chatter from time to time but otherwise it's a great setup and grabs HARD. I chirp 4th nearly every time I shift hard. The engagement point is definitely lower than stock as well, and the pedal pressure feels just like stock, dare I say even a wee bit lighter.
Thanks for your business Brian, you were so awesome to deal with.

Thats what i dont want lol... Chatter
That depends a bit on how you drive and what clutch you have. What Sonnick describes does not sound like a chattery clutch...it sounds like a great clutch that can chatter from time to time.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
We just recently took receipt of our new clutch setup. We will have more details shortly and we will need someone in the Northeast to come in for final testing and feedback.
The following 2 users liked this post by Excelerate:
Grand_hustle17 (12-05-2014), thisaznboi88 (12-04-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I think i want to look into a LW flywheel... Now that i have more time to gather parts lol