Aerodynamic Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so are these front splitters on the market or a custom order deal?
id really like to get ahold of one
Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ turbo and rods and front splitter.....what you upto bro ???
Old 03-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha o im up to alot hopfully i dont let myself think its a good idea to turbo the tl but the splitter i can do
Old 04-23-2012, 02:02 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
So I had a little free time today and I felt like taking a break from my suspension and came back to my aerodynamic modifications. Decided to do a little "tweak" to the stock "rear diffuser." Here it is:

Before:

After:

I don't even know if I can call it a prototype at this stage lol. It looks ghetto I know, I know, but hey, it gets the job done... I hope. It's not a visible mod anyway, unless the car is on a lift. I bet people are gonna laugh when they see the car lifted though haha

The idea behind this is to transition the high velocity air from underneath the car to the low velocity air behind the car more smoothly; thus reducing the coefficient of drag and reducing downforce. It's more of a belly pan in the rear, but i'll call it the stock "rear diffuser" in this thread. The stock "rear diffuser" has a large gap in the diffuser for the rear tow hook. The problem is, the large gap goes all the way to the bumper, creating a parachute effect. I suspect that a lot of air catches at the rear bumper because of this large gap (depicted in the second photo) and that this air may be sacrificing ~0.XX MPG.

My prototype is currently made of a thick poster-paper material wrapped in seran wrap and duct tape. I got the inspiration from all of the cheap/free mods on the ecomodder forum. If I feel that this little tweak to the underside of the vehicle is worth it, I just may make a permanant version of it out of a black cloth and hard epoxy resin.

Also for anyone who asks, yes that's blue painter's tape. I used the tape to tape up the holes in the "rear diffuser" so that the air will pass through the plastic more smoothly. The tape is covering the large cutouts in the plastic that are necessary to mount the piece up. If you actually take a look under the car, those holes are big (with the biggest about 2 inches in diameter). The large section I covered with the poster paper and duct tape is rather large as well (bigger than a 8.5x11 piece of paper).

Here's a wiki article on diffusers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuser_(automotive)

Last edited by lumyeinjun; 04-23-2012 at 02:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jonmizu (08-24-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Racer

^

hey! I know it's not a big mod but I just thought it would be good to share with the forum! haha
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Randy i expected something a little more stylish LOL....
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Duct Tape adhesive is the last thing you want to put anywhere near your car. Very acidic.

Still...."E" for effort!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 AM
flappy paddles

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
If someone came out with a smaller less track ready rear diffuser I'd buy one.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by swoosh

Randy i expected something a little more stylish LOL....

What are you talking about, Anil, it's one-of-a-kind. FULLY CUSTOM!

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Duct Tape adhesive is the last thing you want to put anywhere near your car. Very acidic.

Still...."E" for effort!
I wasn't too worried about the adhesive doing any damage because the adhesive is only touching the plastic "rear diffuser" that isn't visible from the outside of the car. If anything gets damaged i'll just sand it down and slather some epoxy resin on it to smooth it back out haha I might have a "real" version of this rearbellypandiffuser in a few months, but aerodynamic mods are on the back-burner for now

Thanks for the "E" grade though, my letter grades in school look pretty similar, but I don't usually have that extra horizontal line at the bottom of the letter though haha I kid

Originally Posted by Otacon
If someone came out with a smaller less track ready rear diffuser I'd buy one.
smaller and less track ready?

btw what ever happened to the guy on this thread that said he was making us some aero parts! i'm probably not one to purchase any, but update for the others please!

Last edited by lumyeinjun; 04-23-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
I promise I'm not trying to be a douche by saying this.....And I promise it is directed at nobody in particular. Just be aware that aero mods like rear diffusers and dive planes (canards) and even wings mean NOTHING If they have not been wind-tunnel designed & tested. I know a lot of people think they look cool, but they are really only impressing folks that have no idea what they actually do. Anybody that knows about race cars will definitely have a good laugh seeing these parts on a street car because they understand the incredible amount of R&D that actually goes into such parts.

It's part of the reason the Mugen S2000 hard-top costs $3500 just for the "cheaper" fiberglass version. It was actually CFD designed & wind-tunnel tested.

Of course things like seams taping & smoothing flow over holes really do make a difference, and definitely can't hurt. Even adding a front splitter can't go bad provided you've properly controlled/directed airflow over it's top.
lumyeinjun (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Racer

I promise I'm not trying to be a douche by saying this.....And I promise it is directed at nobody in particular. Just be aware that aero mods like rear diffusers and dive planes (canards) and even wings mean NOTHING If they have not been wind-tunnel designed & tested. I know a lot of people think they look cool, but they are really only impressing folks that have no idea what they actually do. Anybody that knows about race cars will definitely have a good laugh seeing these parts on a street car because they understand the incredible amount of R&D that actually goes into such parts.

It's part of the reason the Mugen S2000 hard-top costs $3500 just for the "cheaper" fiberglass version. It was actually CFD designed & wind-tunnel tested.

Of course things like seams taping & smoothing flow over holes really do make a difference, and definitely can't hurt. Even adding a front splitter can't go bad provided you've properly controlled/directed airflow over it's top.
No offense taken Your post was very insightful and I completely agree with everything you stated.

Functional aftermarket aerodynamic are amongst some of the most costly mods you can do to a vehicle, and it should be that way because of all the research and development that goes into engineering the part. A poorly designed "aero" part can easily reduce downforce or increase the drag coefficient, so it's important that everyone looking to buy these aero parts knows how the part is supposed to function and has the part installed correctly.

Some aero mods have higher risk than others at failing to achieve the desired improvement in aerodynamics. An improperly positioned diffuser can effectively increase lift. Improperly designed or improperly installed rear wings may increase downforce at the cost of a higher drag coefficient, so it's important to do some serious homework before attempting these mods.

Lower risk "aero tweeks," however, have a lower risk at hurting aerodynamics. The beginner mods i'm planning to do to my car fall in this category as previously stated by 94eg, such as covering inconsistencies in the bodywork and smoothing out rough areas around the car. I don't see myself doing any high-risk aero mods anytime soon lol

Thanks for the post, 94eg, perfect time for a reality check!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lumyeinjun
So I had a little free time today and I felt like taking a break from my suspension and came back to my aerodynamic modifications. Decided to do a little "tweak" to the stock "rear diffuser." Here it is:

Before:

After:

I don't even know if I can call it a prototype at this stage lol. It looks ghetto I know, I know, but hey, it gets the job done... I hope. It's not a visible mod anyway, unless the car is on a lift. I bet people are gonna laugh when they see the car lifted though haha

The idea behind this is to transition the high velocity air from underneath the car to the low velocity air behind the car more smoothly; thus reducing the coefficient of drag and reducing downforce. It's more of a belly pan in the rear, but i'll call it the stock "rear diffuser" in this thread. The stock "rear diffuser" has a large gap in the diffuser for the rear tow hook. The problem is, the large gap goes all the way to the bumper, creating a parachute effect. I suspect that a lot of air catches at the rear bumper because of this large gap (depicted in the second photo) and that this air may be sacrificing ~0.XX MPG.

My prototype is currently made of a thick poster-paper material wrapped in seran wrap and duct tape. I got the inspiration from all of the cheap/free mods on the ecomodder forum. If I feel that this little tweak to the underside of the vehicle is worth it, I just may make a permanant version of it out of a black cloth and hard epoxy resin.

Also for anyone who asks, yes that's blue painter's tape. I used the tape to tape up the holes in the "rear diffuser" so that the air will pass through the plastic more smoothly. The tape is covering the large cutouts in the plastic that are necessary to mount the piece up. If you actually take a look under the car, those holes are big (with the biggest about 2 inches in diameter). The large section I covered with the poster paper and duct tape is rather large as well (bigger than a 8.5x11 piece of paper).

Here's a wiki article on diffusers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuser_(automotive)
Genius!

Seriously I busted up laughing when I saw this.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what id like to see is someone make an add on to the type-s front a-spec lip in the center section.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
One thing the TL did I noticed that was nice of them to take care of for us was the radio antenna. It kind of surpised me to see this actually on alot of cars today they are still using traditional style antennas which I find kind of odd. One example in particular I can think of is the gt500 mustangs the antenna on them is still the traditional style with a rod just sticking out. I was looking around the parking lot at work today and was surprised how many newer cars still use this. It cannot be good for aerodynamics although definitely not as bad as say my old neon where the antenna is tall enough to go above the roof. The one of the TL is just a small hump on the roof that flows with the car(atleast I think thats the antenna..). I'm just surprised any sort of performance vehicle would have anything like that.

Last edited by TheBumbino; 04-23-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
the hump on the roof is for satellite.. our radio antennas are in the rear or front window.. forgot which one.. Honda/Acura has been doing tha since 2002 if not earlier

not sure why other brands havent been using that
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts

Not everyone has a wind tunnel to test aero mods. People use aero mods in time attack that are not wind tunnel tested but help with downforce. Saying they mean nothing without wind tunnel testing is bs. They might not be as good as if they were designed in a wind tunnel, but if you understand physics and math you can make stuff that works effectively.

I have no issues with aero mods or wings on street cars if they see a track atleast once in awhile. It is also ok for show cars. They help you win awards.

Everything mugen sells is way overpriced. It is because they can get away with it and its mad jdm yo.

Last edited by brian6speed; 04-24-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
OP, my apologies for the insanely late response, I enlisted in the USAF, and have been in training since Feb. All done now, and I'm still trying to catch up with messages, mail etc

As far as the diffuser goes I made it from scratch, I did lots of measuring, trial and error with a cardboard mock-up before I got it right and the look I wanted.. that one you saw was sold, so I'll be making a new one + thread some day
BostonSilverTypeS (08-24-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
we should get back to some of the more difficult mods...
Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting thread. I wonder if all factory lip kits were designed with aerodynamics in mind.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Would a rear glass spoiler reduce Dc?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
OP, my apologies for the insanely late response, I enlisted in the USAF, and have been in training since Feb. All done now, and I'm still trying to catch up with messages, mail etc

As far as the diffuser goes I made it from scratch, I did lots of measuring, trial and error with a cardboard mock-up before I got it right and the look I wanted.. that one you saw was sold, so I'll be making a new one + thread some day
if and when you make another I want it!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:09 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Originally Posted by Bruce Banner
Would a rear glass spoiler reduce Dc?
sort of. it would raise the Dc, but change the draft turbulence behind the car. so its a + - kind of thing
Old 08-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
^ I think it depends entirely on how its designed. They can increase Cd because there's just that much more surface area, but I've seen splitters decrease Cds, especially on SUVs and pickups.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by lumyeinjun
Did a quick search and i'm surprised to find that there are ZERO dedicated threads to aerodynamic modifications for the 3G TL

The TL already has plastic undertrays that help smooth out the airflow underneath the car. I'm glad the engineers at Acura did that for us, but I'm sure it can be improved with aftermarket modifications as well

Keep modding Onto the discussion!
Do you guys really think some of those trays really do anything?

I'm more of an auto crosser so I'm not too worried about aerodynamics but I do a lot of highway driving.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok i am a newb did i miss something here? Where can i get the aspec lip kit? I just bought a 04 6MT
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Originally Posted by jpm3071
Do you guys really think some of those trays really do anything?

I'm more of an auto crosser so I'm not too worried about aerodynamics but I do a lot of highway driving.
absolutely. the turbulence under the car is basically eliminated

this website gives some basics and good diagrams on the underbody wind noise.
http://www.exa.com/underbody-wind-noise.html

it's the same principle with turbulence. the more you can smooth out the less drag you produce.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I removed the rear wheel well liners. Do you think that would increase drag?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Does anyone know if this is a members car. The diffusers look perfect

Here's the link for more pictures http://www.automotofoto.net/features...ura-tl-type-s/
Old 08-29-2012, 02:45 PM

^^^ those are perfect from a "styling" standpoint....from a performance standpoint, i dont see any advantages:

fronts: have a gap between the bumper/diffuser
rear: i dont see exit winglets and too much gap there as well

this kit will increase drag if anything...
Old 08-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have that rear diffuser on order..... haha tbh most if these pieces will most likely just add drag. The shape of the frot lip also makes it hard I've seen a guy on here attempting to use an s2000 mugen lip (which has the curves) to make a splitter but even that in the end was too short .

^^ has funny gaps on the side

Se previous setups of my old rear diffuser! I've always been a fan of that look
Old 09-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Needs a larger wing!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

definitely needs more wing!

anyone know of any fab shops willing to try and make something?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
I tried using the Mugen S2000 splitter attached to the 04-06 A-Spec before. I extended the sides and everything... but did a half-assed job and the extended pieces began to break. Also, I didn't like the design as it as too thick looking. I had a new design in mind for a long time now but haven't gotten around to anything.

The design I have for the front A-Spec should be effective as well, at least from what I can imagine and assume.

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
definitely needs more wing!

anyone know of any fab shops willing to try and make something?
I can get a hold of two fabrication shops.
One just fabricates what you design... the other is a legit-fabrication shop and will help you with the design. I haven't talked to the latter company before, just have their info.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would be the most effective way to even do an under spoiler if its your DD?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by KKelly1162
What would be the most effective way to even do an under spoiler if its your DD?
Are you referring to a lip spoiler or a splitter? Splitter has no reason on the road. If it is for track then make it removable.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
front splitters can split pedestrians' legs when hit. canards too.

but sub'd for cool thread
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Old MT TL

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by soulimports
what id like to see is someone make an add on to the type-s front a-spec lip in the center section.
I made a custom lip that sits in the middle of the front lip eliminating the spot that goes up form each side of the car. So basically if i make a front lip/diffuser it would have no gap
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 AM

pix?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drviper
front splitters can split pedestrians' legs when hit. canards too.

but sub'd for cool thread
Video of it or its not true!

Originally Posted by swoosh
pix?
X2

Quick Reply: Aerodynamic Mods