Acura TL Type S turbo kit build and install for spade0968 by jandr

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
But your car doesn't have the RL tranny like the Type-S, does it? You're not also limited to a 135, are you?
My car does not have the RL tranny. Are you implying that the type-s trans (RL trans) is not capable of handling the same power/load/etc as the base trans that I have? If so, why do you think that?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
My car does not have the RL tranny. Are you implying that the type-s trans (RL trans) is not capable of handling the same power/load/etc as the base trans that I have? If so, why do you think that?
Maybe it's me, but you seem to be coming on the offense rather hard; I merely asked a couple questions. Maybe I came off too strong with my own. I apologize if so.

As for transmission, along side the 6-speeds & the base 5AT, I don't think it can in comparison. For one, there's a 135Mph governor on it for some reason & is something I hope Rodney can remove; otherwise, a 400whp turbo won't do cars like mine any good. I also haven't heard the RL tranny being quite as durable as the rest, so I am a little worried that 400whp+ might really shed a good deal of life off it unless it can be improved to handle the power without too much worry.

Just mainly my observation from past threads in the forum. I may be not giving the tranny enough credit or over thinking it, but us 5AT TL-S guys are already at a slower pace compared to the 6Spd base guys with the transmission.

Which is why my first post is what it is. I'd love to be proved wrong & I'd love to see a 5AT Type-S hold just as much power as the car that was running 500+. I just think the RL tranny & it's governor may become a bit of a hurdle.

Edit*
Just saw Spade's post on Rodney removing the limiter. That's fantastic news.
Please let me know if that sort of thing can be applied to any other 5AT without anything more. I also noticed that that car seemed to pull really well once the speedo tipped 100.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 06-03-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
I'd say $8K will get you started if you do everything yourself.

I'm into it for at least $12K but that includes a clutch, ECU, methanol injection, boost controller, wideband gauge, custom exhaust and about 5 iterations of a turbo filter/intake.

Then there's a need for suspension, wheels and tires.

Then a lift to put in the clutch and suspension.

Then a mac mini - factory nav integration to do constant datalogging and instant access to the ECU.

Probably brakes next....

and on

and on ......

I do throw a CEL but it's a delta response of my primary and secondary o2 sensors. Nothing major and it only occurs randomly. When I have my carputer installed, I'll just reset it with the OT-2. Another thing I forgot to add to the list of things I got.

That is about what I would expect... So, where in Cali do I go =D
Old 06-03-2011, 03:12 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
I don't understand the desire to exceed 135 mph. 135 is very fast and unsafe not to mention instant jail time. I have pushed 155 a few times but never with the SC or turbo. If you can't get in front of someone by 100-120 there is no reason to take it to 155 or faster since the car will pull 170+ with FI. I know my name is hi speed but exceeding the speed limit by almost 100 mph is very scary. Your covering 1/2 miles every 23 seconds, the brakes go into insta-fade and anyone or thing you hit means your likely dead.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
I don't understand the desire to exceed 135 mph. 135 is very fast and unsafe not to mention instant jail time. I have pushed 155 a few times but never with the SC or turbo. If you can't get in front of someone by 100-120 there is no reason to take it to 155 or faster since the car will pull 170+ with FI. I know my name is hi speed but exceeding the speed limit by almost 100 mph is very scary. Your covering 1/2 miles every 23 seconds, the brakes go into insta-fade and anyone or thing you hit means your likely dead.
+1 I agree. although the power to pull through 1st and 4th and already be close to 135 is nuts... I would never use anything over 120... shit 115 on my street bike is nuts... The pure acceleration is what I am in for =D
Old 06-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

What makes 135 any more dangerous against someone else than doing 100?

Perhaps I'm just used to watching races down here where a 40/60-120Mph run would be done in the blink of an eye for some cars. My run against a Z would have been boring if all we did was 40-100 rolls; dead even all the time.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:25 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
The TL is not made for that kind of speed. The difference between 100 and 135 or 155 is a lot in stopping distance and danger. The car rides higher on the suspension (less weight and traction on the tires ) the faster you go, any little mistake or part failure is more dangerous. Are you able to get in front of the Z by taking it to 135 if your neck and neck at 100? I understand the only way to win against more powerful cars in a stock TL is to take it faster than their willing to go but the risk is bigger than you think. Also most people i have run with back off before 135 anyway.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

The TL is not made for that kind of speed. The difference between 100 and 135 or 155 is a lot in stopping distance and danger. The car rides higher on the suspension (less weight and traction on the tires ) the faster you go, any little mistake or part failure is more dangerous. Are you able to get in front of the Z by taking it to 135 if your neck and neck at 100? I understand the only way to win against more powerful cars in a stock TL is to take it faster than their willing to go but the risk is bigger than you think. Also most people i have run with back off before 135 anyway.
A 400whp with a 135mph governor is pointless if you plan to run anything moderately quick. While you're busy bouncing off that limiter, it's putting bus lengths on you. That probably works where you're from if the cars are slow enough to back off from ever doing 135Mph. Doesn't really work well here where 400whp isn't considered fast by a lot of guys.

I'm not really going to get into this kind of argument, tbh. It's obvious the governor can be removed now thanks to the tune, & that's all I'm happy about.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 06-03-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
fast to someone could be slow for others, glad 135mph is being fixed and there are places that people could go past that and be safe about it, but in all reality if you speed over 100 anyway you r already putting a risk so obviously we all know the risk and choose to take that risk! we are all grown in here and lecturing someone on how dangerous speeding is, is the last thing anyone in a turbo thread wants to hear!! sry just my quik 2 cents about it
Old 06-04-2011, 03:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow .....!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:21 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Maybe it's me, but you seem to be coming on the offense rather hard; I merely asked a couple questions. Maybe I came off too strong with my own. I apologize if so.
Yea, its definitely you lol. All joking aside, Im not on the offensive at all. My comment was nothing more then a question. I was wondering if you had any good info regarding the type-s 5AT in terms of failures of different hard parts being used vs. the base trans.

As for transmission, along side the 6-speeds & the base 5AT, I don't think it can in comparison. For one, there's a 135Mph governor on it for some reason & is something I hope Rodney can remove; otherwise, a 400whp turbo won't do cars like mine any good. I also haven't heard the RL tranny being quite as durable as the rest, so I am a little worried that 400whp+ might really shed a good deal of life off it unless it can be improved to handle the power without too much worry.

Just mainly my observation from past threads in the forum. I may be not giving the tranny enough credit or over thinking it, but us 5AT TL-S guys are already at a slower pace compared to the 6Spd base guys with the transmission.

Which is why my first post is what it is. I'd love to be proved wrong & I'd love to see a 5AT Type-S hold just as much power as the car that was running 500+. I just think the RL tranny & it's governor may become a bit of a hurdle.

Edit*
Just saw Spade's post on Rodney removing the limiter. That's fantastic news.
Please let me know if that sort of thing can be applied to any other 5AT without anything more. I also noticed that that car seemed to pull really well once the speedo tipped 100.
I dont think anyone gives the 5AT any credit when it comes to being able to handle double the factory power levels. My car had 119,000 miles on it when I went turbo and that was with the original trans. I put a little over 9,000 miles on the car since the turbo and the trans still performs like it did when it rolled off the lot in late 2003. Well, actually better since switching to a type F fluid.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by libert69
I dont think anyone gives the 5AT any credit when it comes to being able to handle double the factory power levels. My car had 119,000 miles on it when I went turbo and that was with the original trans. I put a little over 9,000 miles on the car since the turbo and the trans still performs like it did when it rolled off the lot in late 2003. Well, actually better since switching to a type F fluid.
That definitely gives me a more positive outlook on it, then. Here's to continuously good work with your own.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who's red TL in the second pic? Anymore pics of it?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
My .02 cents. Although I am all for high performance and absolutely love the improvements that have been done by J&R. Increasing HP levels and the acceleration is one thing, but by removing the speed governor J&R has made a crucial legal error. When.........not if a user of this ECU is involved in a high speed accident in excess of what the car was designed for and governed for from the factory they will be in a world of hurt. legal suicide. This could potentially be a business ending liability. Please tell my this is a corporation and at least he may be personally shielded. Sometimes its smarter to not give the people what they want.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Legally, J&R would not be responsible. Speed limiter is regulated through the manufacturer, not the government. At those high speeds, a wing spoiler is needed. Almost like saying that if I turbo my car and get an extra 100whp, and end up crashing my car, that it is the maker of the turbo that is responsible, which is completely untrue.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
who removed the speed governor? who allowed the excessive speed to be achieved? its a slam dunk. believe me much larger companies have been brought to their knees from less
Old 06-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pohljm
who removed the speed governor? who allowed the excessive speed to be achieved? its a slam dunk. believe me much larger companies have been brought to their knees from less
1st off, 135Mph is already excessive speeding & doubles just about every single highway speed limit in the US.

2nd, what a retarded argument & part of why this country's legal system can be a joke.

"Your honor, it's not my fault I did 150mph in my TL. It's JandR's. If I was doing 135mph, this would have been sooo much different."
Old 06-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Just like it would be Clorox's fault if you took a giant swig of bleach? Even though they say "Harmful if swallowed" right on the bottle, when it boils down to it, it's their fault that it was in your laundry room anyway.

No, no, no. YOU installed the ECU. YOU "allowed" the excessive speed to be reached. Did J&R force the ECU down your throat?

It's this exact mentality that is killing America.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Unfortunately, I have to agree with Pohljm.

Everyone is right that morally we are all responsible for the speed we drive and having the factory limit lifted and taking advantage of it is totally our responsibility.

But if this were to happen to you and you were facing jail time vs not based on the speed limiter, most if not all of us will take the advice of a lawyer and go after the reason you could drive that fast. Morality isn't held in much regard in our country and that is what is bringing America down.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Add in quotations "Track use only"

Look at how many products made for "track use" get used on the streets..

In big bold letters somewhere, this should greatly reduce any liability to JandR. Which I'm pretty sure they have something like this covered anyway..
Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I see what pohljm is saying, but that argument will never hold up i court. Do you know how many "tuners" are available for trucks, and gm cars. They do everything from changing the speedometer for tire size to eliminating the speed governor.

The speed limiter has been removed for track purpose only. It is very possible that the TL that is being run on a road course could be reaching 135+ (I was hitting 110 in a stock TL on my local track, and it is one of the slower tracks around).
Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Unfortunately, I have to agree with Pohljm.

Everyone is right that morally we are all responsible for the speed we drive and having the factory limit lifted and taking advantage of it is totally our responsibility.

But if this were to happen to you and you were facing jail time vs not based on the speed limiter, most if not all of us will take the advice of a lawyer and go after the reason you could drive that fast. Morality isn't held in much regard in our country and that is what is bringing America down.
You would have no case at all.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
^ and OJ was innocent.

This will be my last post on this, we should get back on topic.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Because at 135Mph, you actually have the chance of going scott free out of court than at 150Mph in the same situation.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
will not hold, its real simple you sell the ECU clearly stating for ""OFF ROAD USE ONLY""", then JnR is cleared!! solved!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your car looks great and I love your wheels!
What brand are they?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
^ RonJons

Subscribed keep up the progress (:
Old 06-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
There is nothing I love to do more than to off road in my TL-S. The nyc roads are perfect for off roading as there are 1 foot deep potholes everywhere, and I have already encountered some extra bad ones that popped one of my tires and made a venn diagram bubble in another. OFF ROADING IS FUN
Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
got damnit! sumava bich! y do you have to make this thread and comsume my thoughts with turbo charging my car and consuming all my imaginary money....

ur making my recently delivered HFPC look just silly
Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
My .02 cents. Although I am all for high performance and absolutely love the improvements that have been done by J&R. Increasing HP levels and the acceleration is one thing, but by removing the speed governor J&R has made a crucial legal error. When.........not if a user of this ECU is involved in a high speed accident in excess of what the car was designed for and governed for from the factory they will be in a world of hurt. legal suicide. This could potentially be a business ending liability. Please tell my this is a corporation and at least he may be personally shielded. Sometimes its smarter to not give the people what they want.
he signed a release form prior if this is getting done by a shop, unless it was by a buddy, and who sues a buddy?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
Because at 135Mph, you actually have the chance of going scott free out of court than at 150Mph in the same situation.
at either speed, you have a high chance of success to never talk to the cop or the courts. if you get what i'm saying.

and in all reality, *if you are a good driver* doing 135+ is not that hard or unsafe. modern highways, specifically the Eisenhower system, was designed for a driver of avg competence and an avg vehicle could easily and safely maintain 110 mph. speed laws have changed since then to help gas consumption, not to help safety like we view it today.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Cruisin'

Cant wait to see pics and vids!!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
time to take the TL to euro n drive on the autoban. Problem solve.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Update, turbo system is being installed and should be completed by this weekend. Rodney will either post pics or I'll post the pics NLT Sunday. Tuning will follow, along with video of the dyno. Rodney will also update the zine.....
Old 07-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by spade0698
Update, turbo system is being installed and should be completed by this weekend. Rodney will either post pics or I'll post the pics NLT Sunday. Tuning will follow, along with video of the dyno. Rodney will also update the zine.....
I'm excited for you man! I would love to see your car in person since I live in your neck of the woods. Any chance you could meet up at cars and coffee coming up on the 16th?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3gstealth
I'm excited for you man! I would love to see your car in person since I live in your neck of the woods. Any chance you could meet up at cars and coffee coming up on the 16th?
I don't think I'll be able to make it. I'm on vacation that week and I'm picking up the car sometime towards the end of July or the first week of august..
Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by spade0698
I don't think I'll be able to make it. I'm on vacation that week and I'm picking up the car sometime towards the end of July or the first week of august..
OK, the next one will be on 8/20. Hopefully you can make it to that one.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3gstealth
OK, the next one will be on 8/20. Hopefully you can make it to that one.
I should be in town for it....I'll keep you informed.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM
10th Gear

Sure would love to see some build pics :P
Old 07-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DarkVtec
Sure would love to see some build pics :P
Rodney has the pics but hasn't posted any....I hope he can give an update this weekend and post some pics. I send him a text....

Quick Reply: Acura TL Type S turbo kit build and install for spade0968 by jandr