5AT to 6MT parts list

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollen
Yeah but I want both engine harness that wraps around the trans and engine and the one that connects that harness to the inside of the car and straight to the computer. Will that bring both of them?
They're sold separately
Old 04-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mzilvar
They're sold separately
What's the other part number for the other one then lol? I'm sorry it's just from looking at the diagram it's all clumped together and if I order the wrong one there are no returns on harnesses.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

2006 mt ecm is 37820-RDA-A24

2006 mt engine harness (one that is in the engine bay) is 32110-RDA-A01

2006 mt engine sub-harness (one that clips into ecm) is 32112-RDA-A01
Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced

2006 mt ecm is 37820-RDA-A24

2006 mt engine harness (one that is in the engine bay) is 32110-RDA-A01

2006 mt engine sub-harness (one that clips into ecm) is 32112-RDA-A01
Perfect thanks man, I'm you have no idea how much I appreciate you're patiences by now you're probably banging your head on a wall lol. I'm ordering these harness and replacing the ecu with a 06. With 05 harness i put a new battery and tested all the electronics everything except the important things work. The turn signals don't work or even respond and I couldn't get the engine on to test the reverse lights.

So yeah you were right about it all except the pedal wiring worked based off the 04-05 images. it knows when I press the clutch and the key immobilizer icon pops up.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Perfect thanks man, I'm you have no idea how much I appreciate you're patiences by now you're probably banging your head on a wall lol. I'm ordering these harness and replacing the ecu with a 06. With 05 harness i put a new battery and tested all the electronics everything except the important things work. The turn signals don't work or even respond and I couldn't get the engine on to test the reverse lights.

So yeah you were right about it all except the pedal wiring worked based off the 04-05 images. it knows when I press the clutch and the key immobilizer icon pops up.
That's good, I really hope everything works out.

I think you might be getting the indication off the cluster from the clutch pedal position switch that goes to the ECM, not the starter cut relay.

There's no sense circuit on the starter cut circuit for the cluster to receive anything over the CAN buses on the car.

However, the clutch pedal position goes directly to the ECM and the ECM is on the F-CAN bus and can feed that information to the cluster which is also on the F-CAN. So I think your guy wired the position switch right.

On the 06 the clutch pedal position is going to have to be moved, it's on a different pin on the ECM.

Odd that the turn signals don't work though. That comes off the cabin (dash) harness from the looks of it, the ECU harnesses shouldn't have any effect on them.

Just curious, did they work prior to wiring in the starter cut relay?

I think the starter cut relay is in a different spot on your 06 fuse box from where its at on the 04-05 fuse box, so if he wired it to the interior fuse box relay where the 04-05 starter cut relay is it could be wired in wrong.

If he used a separate relay altogether (not-OEM in the fuse box) that was added in it might've been done right, but I obviously can't tell.

On second thought it looks like there is something on the ECM through the harness for the starter cut somewhere, but duno what it does, the STS pin.

Anyhow, it should be lined up for the 06, which I don't have schematics for the starter cut circuit on 06 but it's probably same as 07-08 but I can't verify

Last edited by mzilvar; 04-03-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Advanced

That's good, I really hope everything works out.

I think you might be getting the indication off the cluster from the clutch pedal position switch that goes to the ECM, not the starter cut relay.

There's no sense circuit on the starter cut circuit for the cluster to receive anything over the CAN buses on the car.

However, the clutch pedal position goes directly to the ECM and the ECM is on the F-CAN bus and can feed that information to the cluster which is also on the F-CAN. So I think your guy wired the position switch right.

On the 06 the clutch pedal position is going to have to be moved, it's on a different pin on the ECM.

Odd that the turn signals don't work though. That comes off the cabin (dash) harness from the looks of it, the ECU harnesses shouldn't have any effect on them.

Just curious, did they work prior to wiring in the starter cut relay?

I think the starter cut relay is in a different spot on your 06 fuse box from where its at on the 04-05 fuse box, so if he wired it to the interior fuse box relay where the 04-05 starter cut relay is it could be wired in wrong.

If he used a separate relay altogether (not-OEM in the fuse box) that was added in it might've been done right, but I obviously can't tell.

On second thought it looks like there is something on the ECM through the harness for the starter cut somewhere, but duno what it does, the STS pin.

Anyhow, it should be lined up for the 06, which I don't have schematics for the starter cut circuit on 06 but it's probably same as 07-08 but I can't verify
Oh jeeze so it could be that he wired the correct spot for the pin but the other one could be cutting into lights? My headlights and brights work on the switch. just the turns don't work, but that sounds like a easy fix once all the new harness and pcm are in and I repgroram it.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh jeeze so it could be that he wired the correct spot for the pin but the other one could be cutting into lights? My headlights and brights work on the switch. just the turns don't work, but that sounds like a easy fix once all the new harness and pcm are in and I repgroram it.

That's correct, you have a weird situation with your harness.. since the 06 is wired like the 07-08 for the ECM, and you're using the 05 ECM.

So the pedal position switch should've been wired to the correct pin for the 05 ECM and the starter cut relay needed to be wired to the correct relay (that is likely in a different spot from 04-05) for the 06 under dash fuse box.

Sort of like frankenstein, it could be made to work but for the headache of identifying and crossing everything over it's worth it to go with the 06 harnesses.

Now with the 06 harnesses it can all be lined up for the 06 ECM and your AT 06 fuse boxes are identical to the 06 MT fuse boxes. The interior fuse box, however, is different if compared to the 04-05 interior fuse box which is where the starter cut relay resides.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Advanced

That's correct, you have a weird situation with your harness.. since the 06 is wired like the 07-08 for the ECM, and you're using the 05 ECM.

So the pedal position switch should've been wired to the correct pin for the 05 ECM and the starter cut relay needed to be wired to the correct relay (that is likely in a different spot from 04-05) for the 06 under dash fuse box.

Sort of like frankenstein, it could be made to work but for the headache of identifying and crossing everything over it's worth it to go with the 06 harnesses.

Now with the 06 harnesses it can all be lined up for the 06 ECM and your AT 06 fuse boxes are identical to the 06 MT fuse boxes. The interior fuse box, however, is different if compared to the 04-05 interior fuse box which is where the starter cut relay resides.
I'm a little confused so the 06 MT is similiar to 07 08 MT and the 06 AT is similar to the 04-05 MT? F@#$ where is the engineer for this so i can promptly strangle him.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm a little confused so the 06 MT is similiar to 07 08 MT and the 06 AT is similar to the 04-05 MT? F@#$ where is the engineer for this so i can promptly strangle him.
No, the 06 is sort of an oddball.

The ECM has the same signals on the same pins for 06-08

The ECM has the same signals on the same pins for 04-05, which are different from 06-08.

The dash and underhood fuse boxes are the same for 04-05

The underhood fuse box for 06 is the same as 04-05, but the under dash fuse box is unique to the 06 it has a different part number from all other 3G TLs from 04-08.

It's the reason that the underdash fuse box appears to be different from all other 3G TLs that I can not verify things, but it should be similar or identical to that of the 07-08 underdash fuse box. I would need a FSM specifically for the 2006 Acura TL in order to check for differences in schematics and I do not have one.

The 06 lines up more closely to the 07-08 model year.

Throw Navi into the mix and it changes more lol..

Last edited by mzilvar; 04-03-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced

No, the 06 is sort of an oddball.

The ECM has the same signals on the same pins for 06-08

The ECM has the same signals on the same pins for 04-05, which are different from 06-08.

The dash and underhood fuse boxes are the same for 04-05

The underhood fuse box for 06 is the same as 04-05, but the under dash fuse box is unique to the 06 it has a different part number from all other 3G TLs from 04-08.

It's the reason that the underdash fuse box appears to be different from all other 3G TLs that I can not verify things, but it should be similar or identical to that of the 07-08 underdash fuse box. I would need a FSM specifically for the 2006 Acura TL in order to check for differences in schematics and I do not have one.

The 06 lines up more closely to the 07-08 model year.

Throw Navi into the mix and it changes more lol..
I'm ordering the manuals since I believe this will help down the road with this car either way. What I noticed though is that most up to date manual from Helm the company that made the manual's for Acura has 06 listed under 04-06 Service manual and Electrical troubleshooting.

I was wondering if you'd like to look at them through my Honda express account and cross reference it. I just received the harness for engine and pcm so I'll have to re-wire the pedal soon.

Once this is all said and done I'll give you all the info I have and if you want you can write up a post so everyone can get to it as a source for future swaps.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
Really wish someone would do this for the 07-08
Old 04-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I wish this was easy like most other Honda's....

I love my TL because she's basically a brand new car but the auto is what kills the fun factor.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm halfway doing this swap with my best friend. We pulled the motor and transmission from the "donor" car. Just need to pull the motor transmission out of my car and swap everything over.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

not sure if you said it but how much is all this going to cost you??
Old 05-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Cruisin'

I lucked out and bought a car that was wrecked for a $1000. The guy bought it to replace some body panels on his car. I made him an offer for than transmission and the black interior and he said he'd sell me the whole car.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Cruisin'

Does anyone have any pictures of how there wires are connected to the manual ecu? I swapped my auto ecu to my manual ecu. I also swapped the wiring harness that goes from the ecu to the engine wire harness. When I was hooking up the harnesses to the ecu only three of the harnesses hooked up. Did you guys use the dash instrumental harnesses as well? I read one the first page of this thread that the only wire harnesses needed were the engine wire harness and the ecu to engine wire harness.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Cruisin'

So we swapped everything over, put the key in and the car will turn on but will not start. We try to remove the key and it locks up and won't let me remove the key. We had someone come out to reprogram the key and it looks like it changes the program but when we go to start the car it resets. Any ideas as to what it could be?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisOkc8
So we swapped everything over, put the key in and the car will turn on but will not start. We try to remove the key and it locks up and won't let me remove the key. We had someone come out to reprogram the key and it looks like it changes the program but when we go to start the car it resets. Any ideas as to what it could be?
You don't say what you changed but the immobilizer and ECU are two separate systems. The reprogramming matches the chip in the key to the immobilizer but if you didn't pair the immobilizer with the ECU, it's not going to start. Is the green key in the cluster blinking? Was the immobilizer and ECU bought together and previously working?

Originally Posted by ChrisOkc8
We try to remove the key and it locks up and won't let me remove the key.
Was the cylinder changed too? This statement doesn't make sense.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
I'm trying to follow everything - you swapped in a manual transmission and now have the manual ECU wired in. You said you had someone program the key - do you know what they did?

If you replaced the ECU, it requires a "replace ECU" command in the Immobilizer, nothing with the key. Just like when doing a hondata install.

edit: Doh - had it all typed up and got pulled away before hitting enter. Wasnt trying to repeat the same info KN.

Last edited by screaminz28; 08-27-2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: late
Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ok guys I'm the one helping Chrisokc install the manual trans swap.
We have installed the
mt6 ecu
Transmission
Engine/trans harness.
This car is a 06, but we have a 04 ecu and harness. I know they do have some differences In Pinouts.

I've followed the wiring diagrams and swapped some connector Pinouts. I believe they are all in correct spots. But i am going to double and triple check it this weekend.
I have wired the clutch neutral switch to the starter cut relay.

Are problem....
After we swapped from auto to manual. We cannot get the key to remove from the lock cylinder unless we disconnect the battery.does anyone know what I might be missing electrically so this will disengage the key on its own.no it is not a steering wheel bound up on the mechanism.

Do we need honda to program the immoblizer to the new mt ecu? So they will have correlating codes correct?

Thanks you !
Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordan71
We have installed the
mt6 ecu
Transmission
Engine/trans harness.
This car is a 06, but we have a 04 ecu and harness. I know they do have some differences In Pinouts.

I've followed the wiring diagrams and swapped some connector Pinouts. I believe they are all in correct spots. But i am going to double and triple check it this weekend.

Are problem....
After we swapped from auto to manual. We cannot get the key to remove from the lock cylinder unless we disconnect the battery.does anyone know what I might be missing electrically so this will disengage the key on its own.no it is not a steering wheel bound up on the mechanism.

Do we need honda to program the immoblizer to the new mt ecu? So they will have correlating codes correct?

Thanks you !
I didn't think there was any electromechanical device in the key cylinder. But since you can remove the key after removing power, I could be wrong.

I was able to pair my 06 immobilizer to an 08 type s ecu. You could try going back to the original immobilizer/cylinder but in any case, you'll have to pair the immobilizer to the ecu. If you see a blinking green key while cranking, it's not going to start. I was able to do that part myself with an HIM. I was not able to program keys to the immobilizer.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 AM
6th Gear

HIM? I assume a honda certified scan tool of some sort.

Ok I understand the immoblizer pairing to ecu situation. I assume it can only be done at the dealership?

I've tried to look over the wiring diagrams to find some sort of locking mechanism for the ignition switch. Maybe someone else might know...
Old 08-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
We have installed the
mt6 ecu
Transmission
Engine/trans harness.

Are problem....

Thanks you !
I know automatics have a key prevention mechanism until the car is in park. I thought most are mechanical tied to the shifter but I'm not familiar with the TL. Perhaps it's a locking mechanism of some sort there?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 PM
6th Gear

Found the shift interlock circuit. So now it will release the key. After I wired it into the key light circuit
The following 2 users liked this post by Jordan71:
bigwavedave25 (11-21-2017), thisaznboi88 (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
did you change anything from the wiring diagram that was posted?

We have installed the
mt6 ecu
Transmission
Engine/trans harness.

Are problem....

Thanks you !
Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 PM
6th Gear

Which diagram are you talking about?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 PM
6th Gear

The wiring diagrams I used where my own. None on this forum
Old 08-28-2014, 09:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
^ okay nvm
Old 08-29-2014, 09:38 PM
6th Gear

On Tuesday we are taking the TL too the dealership to have the sync between immobilizer and ecu. If it runs and drives the 06 has been successfully converted to 04. I'll post back the results
Old 10-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
So I'm guessing this tanked? No update?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys! new to AZ. sorry to rerevive and old thread, but ive got an 08 base 5AT tl and I have a complete 06 6mt doner car. my question is can I use all the parts from the 06 and have no issue. ill be doing the work myself since im a Honda tech just want to know if I swap the dash harness and engine harness and the 06 ecu will everything work?

thanks guys
Old 01-23-2021, 09:28 PM
9th Gear

I want a black on black base 08 navi with 6mt

Is it possible to do this to a base 08. Not a huge fan of the type a platform I want to purchase an 08 base with nav and 6 mt or swap a 6mt into the base model. I feel like if the years match it should be easily achieved with a donor car. Does anyone know if this true. I could literally swap everything myself mounts acu complete harness and gauges I'm just seeing conflicting threads. One saying base 07 my doesn't exist and others saying bell housings dont match etc etc
Old 01-23-2021, 10:09 PM
9th Gear

I want a black on black base 08 navi with 6mt

Is it possible to do this to a base 08. Not a huge fan of the type a platform I want to purchase an 08 base with nav and 6 mt or swap a 6mt into the base model. I feel like if the years match it should be easily achieved with a donor car. Does anyone know if this true. I could literally swap everything myself mounts ecu complete harness and gauges I'm just seeing conflicting threads. One saying base 07 my doesn't exist and others saying bell housings dont match etc etc
Old 01-24-2021, 08:13 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
First comment; bad idea. Why? First and foremost, cost and time/complexity.

If you still want to do this conversion, your best option would be to find a wrecked 2007-2008 TL Type-S and swap virtually everything even remotely related to the transmission, including, but not limited to:
  • Bellhousing (yes, a Type-S bellhousing will fit a 2007-2008 base TL)
  • Transmission
  • All of the clutch linkage components and hydraulics (note, this will require some fab work on your part, how good are you at welding?)
  • All of the shift linage components and interior console assemblies
  • All of the wiring harnesses
If you are still game, consider one final comment; over the years any number of folks have attempted this conversion; so far I believe I've seen only one confirmed successful conversion and two other conversions which were mostly successful but contained a number of electronic bugaboos (like bizarre power seat function and strange doings on the instrument panel). If you want a base black on black car with a 6MT and NAV, I'd strongly recommend you simply look for a 2004-2006 model so equipped from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (02-21-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 06:35 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Sell the auto and buy a manual.
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 01:19 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Sell the auto and buy a manual.
they didnt produce a 07 08 base model manual
Old 02-21-2021, 01:33 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by we just livin
they didnt produce a 07 08 base model manual
Understood, everyone here knows that already. The advice still holds, sell your car and buy a 2004-2006 manual or a 2007-2008 Type-S manual; either way it will cost you a LOT less money than trying, and most likely failing, to convert your car.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:21 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Understood, everyone here knows that already. The advice still holds, sell your car and buy a 2004-2006 manual or a 2007-2008 Type-S manual; either way it will cost you a LOT less money than trying, and most likely failing, to convert your car.
it would seem you don't have any real advice. Having said that if the 08 Type S transmission bolts up to a 08 base engine that seems easy peasy anybody with a brain knows that you have to swap out harnesses and obviously clutch related components I was simply asking for confirmation of whether or not the manual and the automatic of the same year share the same bellhousing design so in short a donor car would be extremely cheap and reasonably obtainable. If not then day in a pull it yard would be even cheaper. So that being said why would I choose to sale a car at a loss for one that I don't like the trim level of for a greater cost?
Old 02-21-2021, 02:49 PM
Latent car nut

I answered all of your questions in my first response you. That said, the amount of work is way beyond what you *think* it is; hence the fact many folks here have tried, and as far as I know, only one has been completely successful, while there are as many as two others who have been partially successful; basically the engine and transmission work together, but there are numerous niggling electronic issues. You can throw all the shade you want on my responses to you, but the fact remains, if you are dumb enough to start this conversion, there is will over a 90% chance you will fail to have a completely functional car.

If you don't like my answers, fine, you can be like Trump and keep asking the question until someone decides to lie to you and tell you it is easy. I'm done here.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:00 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I answered all of your questions in my first response you. That said, the amount of work is way beyond what you *think* it is; hence the fact many folks here have tried, and as far as I know, only one has been completely successful, while there are as many as two others who have been partially successful; basically the engine and transmission work together, but there are numerous niggling electronic issues. You can throw all the shade you want on my responses to you, but the fact remains, if you are dumb enough to start this conversion, there is will over a 90% chance you will fail to have a completely functional car.

If you don't like my answers, fine, you can be like Trump and keep asking the question until someone decides to lie to you and tell you it is easy. I'm done here.
yes you did when you said the bell housings match. Everything else is you operating under the assumption that A. I lack the mechanical experience to do the work, B. That I'm working with some sort of budget, C. I dont have the Competence to swap a transmission, ecu, console, gages, shift linkages, transmission components, complete wiring harness, make reverse cam and natural safety switch work, etc etc etc. I simple asked a question regarding weather or not the bell housings and electrical components are the same in the same year. But thanks for all your assumptions. When I achieve this I'll be the only one I know of with a base 08 6mt. And thats the goal. Now you can throw shade and discouragement some where else. And you proved your class by throwing the trump thing in there which is completly unrelated.

Quick Reply: 5AT to 6MT parts list