3G Acura TL straight piping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 3G Acura TL straight piping?

OK so I'm straight piping my acura tl 05. I already deleted the rear mufflers, but there was no real sound difference so I'm going to do the mid mufflers, any suggestions btw? ok so i need a diagram so i know what pipes to go by (how many, and inches etc.) so anyone have a picture of my cars undercarriage so i can work this out. thanks
The following users liked this post:
Curtle10 (05-03-2020)
Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Big plans not enough $$$

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
So what is it you want to accomplish with this, sound or power?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 AM
7th Gear

mostly going for the sound, but i want nothing too loud and ratchy. something like this:
Old 12-31-2012, 01:29 AM
7th Gear

can't find the diagram, i want to go get the pipes but i need a diagram of the undercarriage of the car =/
Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
acurapartswarehouse.com, plenty of diagrams there
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Your straight piping from the 3rd cat back or from the block back?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
7th Gear

can't find the diagram =/
Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by connork53
Your straight piping from the 3rd cat back or from the block back?
im not sure yet, thats why i need a diagram so i can decide what to do and see what i have to go get but i looked everywhere can't find one
Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 PM
2006 6spd

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Your gonna definitely need a resonator/s if you don't want rasp... best bet would of been cut out mid muffler (my personal opinion best option) stage 1 - mid muffler del w/certain magnaflow resonator stage 2 - mid del with certain dynomax resonator stage 3 mid del OEM Res del stage 4 - mid del OEM Res del & OEM muffs del stage 5... stages 2 & 3 may be vise versa someone correct me if I'm wrong... hope this helps when your aloud to search search maybe search stage exhaust...

Can anyone that has some free time please post some links to some 3g exhaust threads. Been searching for some dual exhaust options myself trying to get pipe sizing etc...

Maybe you'll have some luck because you still new.... would try but mainly use my tablet and not as easy as a PC... good luck...
Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Use 2.5"

I removed all 3 mufflers, sounded like a crap, couldn't live with it even one day
BUT!!! I have Magnaflow Res.
If I used longer Resonator, it would've sounded much better... I guess

So if you want to remove all the 3 mufflers, might want to use longer resonator than what people here use with Stage II or Stage III
Long as stock res or may be a little longer one

By the way midd muffler won't give you much difference, it's a straight muffler, unlike the rear ones.
I say don't even bother removing it

First play with resonator...if not loud enough, then remove it

I have some videos here
They sound ok on video but in person, it just sucks

Old 01-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Put yo damn seatbelt on Meko.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 AM
2006 6spd

Originally Posted by MEKO
Use 2.5"

By the way midd muffler won't give you much difference, it's a straight muffler, unlike the rear ones.

Ya if your gonna go past just the mid muffler being deleted just leave it... & I have I believe an 18in magnaflow resonator which is a necessity I you have pcd's ( straight piped cats )...

My current set up is - V2 PCD's ~ V1 RV6 j-pipe ~ 3rd cat del ~ stock res ~ magnaflow Res ~ mid mud del ~ OEM mufflers.... sounds great! & there's power there but I in desperate need of re doing my set do to leaks from constant chopping and putting back together so you should kinda figure if your going for sound/power rasp/no rasp & almost what you might want to add later...

Hey miko what size to piping do you think is idealistic for going dual straight back from the cats I really don't want any inter connection in the middle like a dual in dual out muffler ( x/h pipe)

Thinking of this truly~true dual set up... pleeeeeeeeeas someone emphasize!

Cat del 1~ 18in magnaflow Res 1 ~ ?what muffler 1
Cat del 2~ 18in magnaflow Res 2 ~ ?what muffler 2

1&2 being left and right side...

Just not sure what size piping to use for dual and what type on inexpensive mufflers would sound good and perform.. going strictly for power but reaaaaaaaly don't want rasp and will add the middle cross over later if need be...

Thanks & hope this helps OP if y'all want me to start my own thread lmk but I'm sure there already a million of them just this ones current...
Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rossv1
Put yo damn seatbelt on Meko.

Originally Posted by TL Luver
Ya if your gonna go past just the mid muffler being deleted just leave it... & I have I believe an 18in magnaflow resonator which is a necessity I you have pcd's ( straight piped cats )...

My current set up is - V2 PCD's ~ V1 RV6 j-pipe ~ 3rd cat del ~ stock res ~ magnaflow Res ~ mid mud del ~ OEM mufflers.... sounds great! & there's power there but I in desperate need of re doing my set do to leaks from constant chopping and putting back together so you should kinda figure if your going for sound/power rasp/no rasp & almost what you might want to add later...

Hey miko what size to piping do you think is idealistic for going dual straight back from the cats I really don't want any inter connection in the middle like a dual in dual out muffler ( x/h pipe)

Just not sure what size piping to use for dual and what type on inexpensive mufflers would sound good and perform.. going strictly for power but reaaaaaaaly don't want rasp and will add the middle cross over later if need be...

Thanks & hope this helps OP if y'all want me to start my own thread lmk but I'm sure there already a million of them just this ones current...
Luver, where did you install Magnaflow Res? Place of mid muf?

I like that. Totaly what I want too

Guessing there will be pretty much pressure to give rasp and drone whatever.
So that's why this is what I think

Use 2.25" piping definitely... until the seperation of rear mufflers "Y" section
After that point use 2" to reduce the echo

OK two 18in Magna Res sounds good but how will we make them fit? That place is not wide enough (as what I saw) and we thinking of dual 2.25" piping
For example took me forever to find a Res to fit in to the place of mid muf

For rear 2 mufflers
What if you use Borla Turbo Mufflers and use shorter res than 18 inch
Borla Turbo will reduce the loud noise
^why I think is smart, because straight cats and dual exhaust
but at the same time use shorter resonator to keep the magnaflow tone at loud

I would try to go with a route that will make me use shorter Res, to give nice tone to exhaust
And to do that, Borla Turbo muff sounds smart to me

This guy used Borla Turbo #40652 2.25"
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/borla-exhaust-complete-awesome-642904/

Cat del 1 ~ 2.25" piping ~ 13in Magnaflow Res 1 ~ 2" piping ~ Borla Turbo Muff
Cat del 2 ~ 2.25" piping ~ 13in Magnaflow Res 2 ~ 2" piping ~ Borla Turbo Muff

Here you go
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/acurazines-first-true-dual-exhaust-3g-tl-updated-vids-pg-4-a-829912/

Last edited by MEKO; 01-01-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM
2006 6spd

Thanks man your awesome kinda hard for someone to get some help around here that's not a noob... I've read up a lot on it just kinda forgot some things...

My magflo Res that I currently have is installed right after my stock Res both right after pipe... to make two fit I was thinking of staggaring them one after another looking from the back of the car putting the right one closer to the engine and the second one right after on the left so that they are kinda equally spaced pcd's...

Thanks I'll check out the borla it a good brand; I should add that I just purchased type s rear lip so quads is most likely the way I'll be going via the mufflers or just tips...I've heard of some cherry bomb turbo mufflers that are supposed to be quiet and sound good...

I think the easiest way for me would be to put a dual inlet/outlet muffler in the middle and using the two resonators as look alike mufflers in the back; but I don't prefer the look of two giant cans in the back...I have Lexus ls 460 tips now but not sure if imna reuse those as I only have one now do to smashing the other...

Again thanks for your say...
Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM
2006 6spd

Forgot to mention I fortunately got to hear swoosh's exhaust in person Fkn bad Az deep rumble in you chest feeling I was like "WOW a tl can sound that beastly!!!" Only thing was a little rasp kinda like I had before I installed the mag Res to my current set up... I just wouldn't want that; but best to I've heard with exhaust & I've heard a few...

& would only use two 18in because I already have one

Last edited by TL Luver; 01-01-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks..
Just sharing my thoughts and experience. Can't answer a question excatly when it comes to exhaust.

For example, I hate having 2 big cans at rear too. That's why I wanted to remove them, anyways, I added 4th cat in place of mid muf
Cat was big square one and design of the inside made me say.. all right this thing is going to be way to quiet now.

Nothing changed. Was a waste of time. I wasn't expecting that but that's how exhausts are, can't be sure
BUT!!!
Low rpm like below 1500, got a little quiter (no rasp)
Guess had to reduce to flow way more

To me muffler reduces the sound by reducing the flow, which involves reducing performance
But, resonator, reduces the raspy tone and still keeps the flow

That's why trying to stay away from using muffler...better using 18" Mag Res right

I think the easiest way for me would be to put a dual inlet/outlet muffler in the middle and using the two resonators as look alike mufflers in the back

^A+
Borla is too expensive, plus it might even make it too quiet
Do your 2.25" straight pipe from cats, add the 18" Res to rears but don't put any middle muffler.
Check how it sounds, depending on that, decide the middle muffler

Damnit, I wan't to try this
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 PM
2006 6spd

That might work and would probably be the cheapest as all I would have to purchase is another Res & maybe I could just weld on quad tips to them... I'm sure it would probably be really loud with no rasp?... but what about compression don't you think I might lose torque as the exhaust gas would be free flowing ultra restricted no mufflers to hold any back pressure? Can anyone maybe chime in...
Old 01-01-2013, 11:15 PM
7th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MEKO
Use 2.5"

I removed all 3 mufflers, sounded like a crap, couldn't live with it even one day
BUT!!! I have Magnaflow Res.
If I used longer Resonator, it would've sounded much better... I guess

So if you want to remove all the 3 mufflers, might want to use longer resonator than what people here use with Stage II or Stage III
Long as stock res or may be a little longer one

First play with resonator...if not loud enough, then remove it

I have some videos here
They sound ok on video but in person, it just sucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcT5c2nU98

I love how this sounds, this is how i want it. so what did you exactly do to achieve this sound??
Old 01-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Suzuka Master

That might work and would probably be the cheapest as all I would have to purchase is another Res & maybe I could just weld on quad tips to them... I'm sure it would probably be really loud with no rasp?... but what about compression don't you think I might lose torque as the exhaust gas would be free flowing ultra restricted no mufflers to hold any back pressure? Can anyone maybe chime in...
That's right, back pressure.
Did you ask swoosh?
Wouldn't mid muffler help?

Originally Posted by Mohit9693
I love how this sounds, this is how i want it. so what did you exactly do to achieve this sound??
Are you sure?
Don't go by how it sounds at video. I was suprised how good it came on, but in person I mean I didn't even want to stop at a red light near other cars.
That raspy, forget raspy some kind of stupid tone around 2500-3500
That wasn't an exhaust sounds.. that bad

Set-up on that video is
-Remove rear 2 mufflers, use 2.25"
-Remove mid muffler
-Replace stock res with this ... Magnaflow 10416 Satin Stainless Steel 2.5" Round Muffler

Amazon Amazon

If I were you, I would at least remove the mid muffler and test the car like that

If you are still not happy with it, ok replace the stock res with Magnaflow BUT don't buy the one I posted
It's 14" I think
buy 18"
http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1042.../dp/B000XQQ0A0

Last edited by MEKO; 01-02-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM
2006 6spd

I alerady sent him a pm with a link to this thread asking if he wouldn't mind chiming in...hopefully he get some free time... I think a mid muffler in the middle would help but my whole point is to have the truest dual exhaust setup...I don't want the two cats to combine anywhere the whole way threw... That's why I figure I'll just put two mufflers in the back with resonators in line & only its complete if I need to I'll put an x/h pipe somewhere inline... I just want mine to be different &if it doesn't function I'll change it...I've seen someone mention it might sound funny with 3 cylinders on one pipe but I'm sure no one really knows...
Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pretty close ideas not sure if it helps
Attached Thumbnails 3G Acura TL straight piping?-image.jpg  
treal512 (03-15-2017)
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM
2006 6spd

Got an idea?!... The OP said he deleted both back mufflers and didn't have much of a sound difference maybe I could just use two OEM mid mufflers as my two mufflers being I already have one as well?...I would assume since they're smaller than the two normal mufflers they would be less restrictive?...

Last edited by TL Luver; 01-02-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM
2006 6spd

Thanks man your awesome kinda hard for someone to get some help around here that's not a noob...
Meant its hard to get help around since IM not a noob anymore ... Lol...

I believe were kinda the noobs...
Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't know how removing the 2 rear mufflers doesn't make much difference

Try the stock mufflers on to dual pipes but how are you going to make two 18" res fit in there?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 PM
2006 6spd

? So he says? Lol...

When I put my car on the dyno the guy asked if they were OEM mufflers on my car; when I said yes he said they were really restricting me!...non the less he was really happy with my numbers and said I should around 300HP at the crank!?...

I plan to put the resonators one right after the other close to the cats one maybe where the OEM third cat is the other about where the OEM resonator is...

Last edited by TL Luver; 01-02-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whatever you do, make sure you put some type of resonator on because I straight center the middle (resonator and mid muffler) and it was raspy as hell and there a loud ass fart around 2.5k rpm
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/user/TL6MT

My pipes are literally zombie abominations stitched backtogether. I've ran MANY MANY set ups with many different mufflers, resonators, delete variations etc etc and so forth

Stupid waste of money (still under 800$ total up till final set up but I could have saved 300-500$ if I did this in the first place... fuck experiments -sigh- ) but finally came to a compromise, I could still maybe add a super mini resonator towards the center to get rid of some interior drone
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM
2006 6spd

Originally Posted by DC2many
http://www.youtube.com/user/TL6MT

My pipes are literally zombie abominations stitched backtogether. I've ran MANY MANY set ups with many different mufflers, resonators, delete variations etc etc and so forth

Stupid waste of money (still under 800$ total up till final set up but I could have saved 300-500$ if I did this in the first place... fuck experiments -sigh- ) but finally came to a compromise, I could still maybe add a super mini resonator towards the center to get rid of some interior drone
Zombie abominations? Would you mind elaborating on you're setup?...you vids of just sound correct?...
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Video will never do actual sound but it's pretty close, it isn't as "beefy, clear, and crisp" compared to when heard in person

zombie abomination I say because I've had it hacked up over 10 different times in different locations. Now I have a magna flow 2.5 > 2.25 Y SPLIT for the rear, I wanted to do single dual tip at one point but might look stupid w/ that mouse cut on the left open

I run a atlp v2 jpipe > test pipe > str8 to a single vibrant muffler in the center midmuffler placement

I will look forward to hi-flow precats in the future perhaps as it can past smog I hear =D

anyone know of a place that sells good quality mini resonators? need 2.5 in/out and no more than 4-6" long and what ever a small canister can get. Dynomax have mini bullet resonators around those sizes but I believe 3" in/out is their smallest application

Last edited by DC2many; 01-02-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
ok am here

TL Luver, what are you trying to achieve? Sound/Power/Exotic tone/Rasp?

I love how my exhaust sounds but it does have rasp at certain rpms....and being gutted makes it sound shittier LOL....

If you want a deep tone without much rasp....replace your mid muffler with a straight pipe and resonator with a magnaflow resonator....

if you looking for power, get bigger piping
Old 01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
2006 6spd

Originally Posted by swoosh
ok am here

TL Luver, what are you trying to achieve? Sound/Power/Exotic tone/Rasp?

I love how my exhaust sounds but it does have rasp at certain rpms....and being gutted makes it sound shittier LOL....

If you want a deep tone without much rasp....replace your mid muffler with a straight pipe and resonator with a magnaflow resonator....

if you looking for power, get bigger piping
Yaay! but I don't think you read the thread? Lol... I've been threw all the mid muffler delete stage & already have a magniflow resonator as part of my current setup... I love my sound now as well; IM strictly going for more power but with no rasp... In the posts above I made a diagram on how I want my setup to be.. Pretty much dual from pcd's weight no conversion of the two pipes the whole way threw... When you get some free time if you wouldn't mind skimming threw my posts...I'll try quoting some key I've posted in this thread thanks...

Last edited by TL Luver; 01-04-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM
2006 6spd

I alerady sent him a pm with a link to this thread asking if he wouldn't mind chiming in...hopefully he get some free time... I think a mid muffler in the middle would help but my whole point is to have the truest dual exhaust setup...I don't want the two cats to combine anywhere the whole way threw... That's why I figure I'll just put two mufflers in the back with resonators in line & only its complete if I need to I'll put an x/h pipe somewhere inline... I just want mine to be different &if it doesn't function I'll change it...I've seen someone mention it might sound funny with 3 cylinders on one pipe but I'm sure no one really knows...
? So he says? Lol...

When I put my car on the dyno the guy asked if they were OEM mufflers on my car; when I said yes he said they were really restricting me!...non the less he was really happy with my numbers and said I should around 300HP at the crank!?...

I plan to put the resonators one right after the other close to the cats one maybe where the OEM third cat is the other about where the OEM resonator is...
Melon suggested
Cat del 1 ~ 2.25" piping ~ 13in Magnaflow Res 1 ~ 2" piping ~?muff
Cat del w ~2.25" piping ~ 13in Magnaflow Res 2 ~ 2" piping ~?muff
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM

shit am so sorry !!!

well if you dont plan on merging the pipes, its gonna sound horrible....you need an X pipe or an H pipe to equalize the pressure and hence make is sound better....

another issues you going to face is fitting the resonators right next to each other...that is why I went with a 2 input, 2 ouput resonator with an X merge inside....

I would suggest a 2" piping as well if you are not planning on doing any bottom end work....but if you plan on throwing a supercharger in there or bottom end work where you plan on making more than 300whp, then def go with a 2.25"....

When you saw/heard my car I had a magnaflow mid muffler with a X merge which I replaced with a dynomax muffler with a X merge and that reduced a lot of rasp....and I do not have any drone....

also if you plan on getting the exhaust TIG welded and SS 304 mandrel bent piping....be ready to spend some $$$
MEKO (01-10-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM
2006 6spd

Thank you sir ...
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Mid muffler delete with straight pipe and resonator delete with dynomax bullet.... i love it, now im looking to get some magnaflow muffler for my rears.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Post up a video of it.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 PM
2006 6spd

Ended up going custom catback?! Magnaflow 18in resonator ~ 2.5in regular piping ~ 2.5 in to 2.5 out Y ~ 2.5 regular piping ~ two borla mufflers w/ 4in borla tips

Pros: looks nice just installed rear types a spec~ got it all done/custom bends at Midas for $205 even (piping;welding;bending)~ &no rasp

Ok the Cons: F***********************NG!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOUD!!!!!!! & drone I guess kinda stays waaaaa before shifting think I could use some more back pressure...

My thoughts are to go back tomorrow and CUSS them out!!!

Lol just kidding; imna go back; tomorrow & have them install my oem mid muffler in line... Hopefully that will be the magical fix otherwise I payed alot to mess up my car? Any one have any idea what I can add to silence it... I'll try to get some pics up or atleast a link to my album intro add them... Someone please help!...
Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 PM

holy cow !!!

PROS: $205 is cheap. I spend $2050 for my exhaust (including a free dyno which I have yet to take the guy up on LOL)

YIKES: even after the Y split you went with 2.5" ??? So your mufflers are 2.5" in and 2.5" out ??? That is wayyyyy toooooo bigggggg and explains the drone you are getting....
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
2006 6spd

What do I do?! I added some kinda straight threw silencer & it helped a little bit should I try and add my mid muffler to cause more restriction and maybe quiet it down or maybe some kind of performance silent muffler to add in line... Or worst case what type of mufflers should I just swap out with based on my piping size? Please help!lol... It doesn't sound horribly bad anymore alot of people like it just kind of annoying to my while driving.. I do believe that I do need some kind of my backpressure/ restriction as I believe 5here's more power for me to gain...
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 PM

do it once and do it right !!!

there are a ton of folks running a custom catback like yours....do not add any more resonators/mid mufflers....after the split, get a 2.25" piping to the mufflers and tips, that will help with the sound....

just remember you have the PCD's and hence loud and a little rasp is something you will have to live with but even though, it should sound good.....

Quick Reply: 3G Acura TL straight piping?