A-113: Removal of Slave Cylinder check valve!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Anyone in the tri-state area wanna do this together?

I can handle most DIY's, but I usually won't do anything that requires bleeding on my own..
Old 08-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbot123
a guy by the name of sal? italian dude. lives in your neck of the woods.
dude, im completely clueless lol
Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eh, w/e either way, ur my hero lmao..
Old 08-19-2009, 10:46 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
Anyone in the tri-state area wanna do this together?

I can handle most DIY's, but I usually won't do anything that requires bleeding on my own..
yo waddup kid, might let u kno if i do mine
Old 08-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
Did mine three days ago and WOW! World of a difference! Opel thanks! My wife now actually likes the mt. Evan you know we doing yours this weekend. I'll let you know exactly kinda booled with work and wife.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Evan, I actually got someone now who's gonna help me out this weekend.. but I'll hit u up after anyway once I got the hands on experience..

Make sure u get a spare, just in case the one on now breaks lol
Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
Did mine three days ago and WOW! World of a difference! Opel thanks! My wife now actually likes the mt. Evan you know we doing yours this weekend. I'll let you know exactly kinda booled with work and wife.
booked...
Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 PM
10th Gear

Opel -

I have to say this is one of the best bang for your bucks for all the TypeS's out there that have a MT. I decided to buy a new slave cylinder from the dealer for 80 bux yesterday rather than tear my original apart and it only took an hour and a half to do the whole job. I immediately noticed the difference as the clutch catches with more oomph!! I can finally do super duper lightning 1-2-3 shifts at redline and peel second gear with a little chirp in third now. I've always wondered why in the hell the car would feel so sluggish as if the car's traction control was always interfering when shifting quickly at redline. Since switching from a G35 6MT, I was definitely dissapointed at how the car's clutch was but no more!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:14 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Evan, I actually got someone now who's gonna help me out this weekend.. but I'll hit u up after anyway once I got the hands on experience..

Make sure u get a spare, just in case the one on now breaks lol
kool kool, dats wassup
Old 08-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wickedpr1nce
Opel -

I have to say this is one of the best bang for your bucks for all the TypeS's out there that have a MT. I decided to buy a new slave cylinder from the dealer for 80 bux yesterday rather than tear my original apart and it only took an hour and a half to do the whole job. I immediately noticed the difference as the clutch catches with more oomph!! I can finally do super duper lightning 1-2-3 shifts at redline and peel second gear with a little chirp in third now. I've always wondered why in the hell the car would feel so sluggish as if the car's traction control was always interfering when shifting quickly at redline. Since switching from a G35 6MT, I was definitely dissapointed at how the car's clutch was but no more!
glad it worked out for u bud....
true, there's honestly nothing to spend money on but maybe some fluid, as ull spill some while bleeding, but you could catch it in a can if ya wanted to be cheap lol.... some ppl choose to get the new part and buy a small pick set, to make life easier, and thats fine, but it can be done with literally no $, and only some time investment .

u mention traction control interfering with shifting at redline...why the hell isn't ur traction off? lol..... now try banging through ur lower gears at redline with traction off!
Old 08-20-2009, 03:08 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
u mention traction control interfering with shifting at redline...why the hell isn't ur traction off? lol..... now try banging through ur lower gears at redline with traction off!
LOL! seriously.

its become second nature to me to turn it off right after starting the car. i even find myself reaching to the left of my steering wheel in my work truck right after starting it, looking for a TCS button
Old 08-20-2009, 03:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
LOL! seriously.

its become second nature to me to turn it off right after starting the car. i even find myself reaching to the left of my steering wheel in my work truck right after starting it, looking for a TCS button
rofl....i have a vid of traction light blinking, shifting into 4th lol
Old 08-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I read somewhere that you get worse mpg by turning it off...but then again...if you're turning it off for the only reason you would turn it off for...mpg probably isn't an issue for you!

I agree though...with this mod and the traction off...it's VERY fun to take off in this car.

ps-Opel, on a side note...took car to dealership yesterday...after much checking it out and not finding anything conclusive I came home and brought the car back up to 1 finger gap rather than tucking tire...what do you know...the friggin thing doesn't vibrate anymore. 6 months of me hating driving the damn car and dreading 2nd gear and paying to change the axle for that...my car axles, for whatever reason just don't like sitting that low! I'm a tight finger all around now and it looks great and drives even better. YAY! I don't know why I slammed it so much to begin with. That was never my thing.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:54 PM
10th Gear

glad it worked out for u bud....
true, there's honestly nothing to spend money on but maybe some fluid, as ull spill some while bleeding, but you could catch it in a can if ya wanted to be cheap lol.... some ppl choose to get the new part and buy a small pick set, to make life easier, and thats fine, but it can be done with literally no $, and only some time investment .

What I meant is before this mod it always felt like traction was still rearing its ugly head when shifting at redline even though the traction button was on OFF. It just never felt right to me beforehand but now it's just perfect.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:48 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I should probably go ahead and do this
Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Actually went and got it done today, definitely felt a difference! Driving at lower speeds finally feels like it should.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Actually went and got it done today, definitely felt a difference! Driving at lower speeds finally feels like it should.
...And you stabbed my finger while at it, rofl...my left thumb knuckle hurts from the the stabbing I gave It lol
Old 08-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I read somewhere that you get worse mpg by turning it off...but then again...if you're turning it off for the only reason you would turn it off for...mpg probably isn't an issue for you!

I agree though...with this mod and the traction off...it's VERY fun to take off in this car.

ps-Opel, on a side note...took car to dealership yesterday...after much checking it out and not finding anything conclusive I came home and brought the car back up to 1 finger gap rather than tucking tire...what do you know...the friggin thing doesn't vibrate anymore. 6 months of me hating driving the damn car and dreading 2nd gear and paying to change the axle for that...my car axles, for whatever reason just don't like sitting that low! I'm a tight finger all around now and it looks great and drives even better. YAY! I don't know why I slammed it so much to begin with. That was never my thing.
Wow damn man...glad u figured it out...I had no idea u were on coilovers...I wouldve def told u to try raising it lol...I just had no clue.

Weird though...I'm on 18s and more than half my tires stick inside the fenders. Its pretty freaking low..but never had probs you described. Anyway, again glad u fixed it...now u can go back and enjoy ur car all over again
Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

...And you stabbed my finger while at it, rofl...my left thumb knuckle hurts from the the stabbing I gave It lol
yea srry about that...

drinks on me next time we meet -too bad you had to go to work right then

btw, ur car is dam fast!!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

yea srry about that...

drinks on me next time we meet -too bad you had to go to work right then

btw, ur car is dam fast!!
its alright man, dont worry about it...yeah i got to work and i was beat up...my hand's been hurting lol...its funny though, my co-worker asks me wtf is wrong with ur hand, i go, i stabbed my thumb and he found it funny too ...but it wasn't you lol..its the first time i stabbed it myself...

the car is ok i guess lol thank you!.

this is the first time i did the slave cyl on someone else's car! lol so you got the exclusiveness rofl...just kidding man...enjoy it...

the diffusser looks awesome!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 AM

Lol...yes, I am on coilovers...I don't know why it would have a problem being so slammed but for whatever reason my axles didn't like it that low. I was faced with either raise it up...deal with it...or change the passenger axle...already did drivers one with no fix. Who knows...but I can deal with a tight finger gap without a problem! Car drives like a dream now!

Do you have a camber kit by any chance?

Good work on the slave...way to be a champ and give someone a hand!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Lol...yes, I am on coilovers...I don't know why it would have a problem being so slammed but for whatever reason my axles didn't like it that low. I was faced with either raise it up...deal with it...or change the passenger axle...already did drivers one with no fix. Who knows...but I can deal with a tight finger gap without a problem! Car drives like a dream now!

Do you have a camber kit by any chance?

Good work on the slave...way to be a champ and give someone a hand!
yes i have a camber kit....ingalls camber & toe in the rear, and SPC adjustable upper ball joint, upfront...that fixed the caster, and got camber within .2 degrees to spec in the front. if you have nothing...Toe is gonna kill ur tires, and caster in the front is annoying, so get the kits
Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 AM

Thanks man...what I'm thinking is that with a camber kit you adjusted the angle that the axle sits at which is why you're ok low as hell and no weird vibration. As far as tire wear, I've had the car that low for 10K miles and to be honest I have no uneven tire wear...caster is off a tad so car pulls to the right a little but nothing annoying. TOE is perfect though...got a great alignment. Funny enough...with a tight finger gap I'm .1 away from being in the green on my front camber now.

We'll see...tight finger gap and car running smoothly...or slammed with vibration or need for camber kit and eventual fender rolling etc...i'll just leave it as is. It looks really nice with the drop it's at now. Did you go thinner on the rims? How are you able to tuck AND have barely any camber without rubbing?
Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks man...what I'm thinking is that with a camber kit you adjusted the angle that the axle sits at which is why you're ok low as hell and no weird vibration. As far as tire wear, I've had the car that low for 10K miles and to be honest I have no uneven tire wear...caster is off a tad so car pulls to the right a little but nothing annoying. TOE is perfect though...got a great alignment. Funny enough...with a tight finger gap I'm .1 away from being in the green on my front camber now.

We'll see...tight finger gap and car running smoothly...or slammed with vibration or need for camber kit and eventual fender rolling etc...i'll just leave it as is. It looks really nice with the drop it's at now. Did you go thinner on the rims? How are you able to tuck AND have barely any camber without rubbing?
i was also slammed to the bottom with no camber kit in the front for a while, and still didnt experience anything u describbed... i have the tein SS coilovers, modified to go even lower than they allow...wheels 18 inch...235/40 tires...not crazy thin sidewalls either...

the car wasn't sitting on a flat surface...was leaning to the back, but here's a few shots...front's usually tucked in more....ill take better pics next time

Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Well I have no clue man...I couldn't have ruined my axle because a fuqked axle would be a fuqked axle at any height. But from going from 1/2" left of threads to 1 1/4" it completely went away. I'm on Tein SS too and have an 04 TL Apsec. I don't get it. I guess I'll rethink this next time I need tires and need an alignment. I'm out of warranty as of yesterday so I'm stuck at this height for now.

By modified does that mean you took off the extra locking ring?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

By modified does that mean you took off the extra locking ring?
Roflllll. Yessssss

If I drove ur car, I'd figure it out lol...too bad I cant
Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 AM

You ain't lying...too bad you couldn't...and nobody down here so far was able to figure it out either. I guess I'll say that hey...I'm still low...loooks good...drives great now...i'll just leave it at that and call it a day!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

you forgot to say, the clutch is better
Old 08-26-2009, 09:02 AM

^
Yes, and that!
PS...this morning, I did a 6th to 3rd drop on the highway with rev matching and let me tell you...this mod really showed it's true colors...acceleration was smooth, clean and instant. LOVE IT!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
^
Yes, and that!
PS...this morning, I did a 6th to 3rd drop on the highway with rev matching and let me tell you...this mod really showed it's true colors...acceleration was smooth, clean and instant. LOVE IT!
+1....Yeeesss!!! Probably not so smooth, but definitely hits hard!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
^commenting on that

i did a 6-3 drop on the highway yesterday and the tires broke loose. now i dont have shitty tires (r-rating) and this didnt happen before the checkvalve. i am convinced that this shit grabs harder and faster
Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
^commenting on that

i did a 6-3 drop on the highway yesterday and the tires broke loose. now i dont have shitty tires (r-rating) and this didnt happen before the checkvalve. i am convinced that this shit grabs harder and faster
You must have a powerhouse! I could never do that in 3rd.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

^
Yes, and that!
Good stuff man...I never do 6-3rd drops...I'm never in 6th through NYC traffic rofl
Old 08-26-2009, 11:17 AM

Lol...I haven't done it in a while because I am trying to keep my mpg up...but today I got the urge...and I had a straight patch with no cars before my exit...so I went for it...
I rev matched so it doesn't jerk much at all....80 mph is the fastest I would recommend 3rd though...because when I rev up to 5K and drop it in 3rd and it's smooth but there's not much left there...any faster and I'd hit 4th instead.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

infamouslink came by and got that slave cylinder done... finally got the car to feel the way it should... dis is a must to all
Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Leather so soft.

Originally Posted by ABP_04TL
infamouslink came by and got that slave cylinder done... finally got the car to feel the way it should... dis is a must to all
come do it to mine.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Lol...I haven't done it in a while because I am trying to keep my mpg up...but today I got the urge...and I had a straight patch with no cars before my exit...so I went for it...
I rev matched so it doesn't jerk much at all....80 mph is the fastest I would recommend 3rd though...because when I rev up to 5K and drop it in 3rd and it's smooth but there's not much left there...any faster and I'd hit 4th instead.
At 80, that's only 2/3rd of 3rd gear though...from there up there's a lot more power left in that rpm range, especially for me . Since I peak at redline
Old 08-26-2009, 12:24 PM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
You must have a powerhouse! I could never do that in 3rd.
seomthing like that. running reallllllly rich. afr is in the 9's and im putting down 243 on a 90 degree weather day with 88% humidity
Old 08-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

you guys around NY should set up a group mod......ill be there standing with a monkey wrench lol...just let me know
Old 08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by phee
seomthing like that. running reallllllly rich. afr is in the 9's and im putting down 243 on a 90 degree weather day with 88% humidity
forgot to mention i have a 1999 tl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A-113: Removal of Slave Cylinder check valve!!!