A-113: Removal of Slave Cylinder check valve!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
not exactly. im sure acura used a lot of similar parts from previous cars for the first model year of the 3rd gen tl.

with the 05 came some revisions (this is why the 04 auto trannies had similar problems to the 2g auto trannies)

im sure they got rid of the independent clutch dampener from the 04 and cl-s and decided to use a checkvalve.

have you been able to see if you have the valve?

i forgot to take a pic today because i was too busy taking pics of this

Excuse my ignorance, but is this taken at the bottom of the car? What is the best way to take the slave cylinder off to do this mod?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I wish I had known this ahead of time, I had to change my slave cylinder due to a leaky oring about 4 months ago.

Best way to remove it was from above....in the engine bay...2 bolts hold it in and 1 hose that connects to the pedal. It was a bi*ch for me to bleed though...I ended up sticking the new one into the brake fluid bottle and pulling the flexible thing to suck up the fluid like a syringe. Then I took off the from driver wheel and stuck a piece of broom stick between the back of my brake disk and the engagement fork to get ALL the air out of the system (per service manual recommendation, or some variation of that).

Now it's back to perfect but I do notice the lag in quick shifts...I notice I get a much better and smoother acceleration if I just shift slowly to match the slower response otherwise the quick shifts are jerky as hell. Escpecially 1st to 2nd.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
Excuse my ignorance, but is this taken at the bottom of the car? What is the best way to take the slave cylinder off to do this mod?
yup. bottom of the car. thats the bracket that connects my engine to my rear mount. i have custom filled poly mounts and apparently they are stiff enough to break cast aluminum
Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I got the Shifts

ok. just checked. mine has the checkvalve (i bought the 05 tl one)
Old 07-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
nice info.. opel you should definitely stay active on the forum. You'd probably get donations for your contributions.. lol..
hahaha...yeah righttttttt lol....

i just joined this thing recently... yet ive had the 3G since it first came out, in 2003...lol

but anyway...i came back on this thread to see if anyone actually did this.....

so, anyone?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Green Machine

ok. just checked. mine has the checkvalve (i bought the 05 tl one)
Did you say you don't have the symptoms with the checkvalve?

Has anyone else done this mod?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm so glad that my high rev shifts don't suck because of my own shifts. This drove me nuts since buying the car. Needless to say, I just ordered a new slave cylinder (46930-SDP-A01) and I plan on removing the stupid check valve.

Opel, thank you. I'll update everyone with my success or failure.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by Timeless
I'm so glad that my high rev shifts don't suck because of my own shifts. This drove me nuts since buying the car. Needless to say, I just ordered a new slave cylinder (46930-SDP-A01) and I plan on removing the stupid check valve.

Please do. I would love to do this mod, but kind of chicken.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Timeless

that will be even easier....opening a new slave cylinder is much easier than the one on the car...lacking the dirt and crap makes it a snap,

goodluck...let us know
Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any issues I should be aware of when reassembling/installing the modified slave cylinder? Basically, what other pieces of the puzzle are there that aren't necessarily called out in this thread?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

none, as long as u put everything back right, and bleed the clutch.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
i'm getting an new clutch put in this week i need to do this!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Opel, how well did the locking ring re-seat after putting it back in? Did you have to do anything to seal it back up? Or secure it back in place?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
Opel, how well did the locking ring re-seat after putting it back in? Did you have to do anything to seal it back up? Or secure it back in place?
The back cap is precise, as long as u don't mess anything up, it will seal just as prior to removing the check valve..I had no problems whatsoever
Old 07-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Did you say you don't have the symptoms with the checkvalve?

Has anyone else done this mod?
Look, if uve read all my posts I've mentioned that it will help ur stock clutch..now if ur car is heavily modified..a stock clutch isn't the best..I mean I've destroyed them nearly stock..but u install a high performance clutch..the check valve stands in the way of quicker engagements...u don't want a delay at redline engagement..that's just very bad... I've had my ceramic 6 puck disk and 70% clamping force Pressure Plate slip...then I got rid of the check valve and things changed for the better.. There's nothing in between, just ur foot on the clutch pedal and ur pressure plate...the heavier ur PP the quicker and firmer ur engagements..

Get the picture?

Goodluck
The following 2 users liked this post by Opel:
IntactACK (06-14-2013), rockstar143 (10-18-2011)
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
Opel, Where did you get the parts?

custom forged pistons, gas nitrided rings, water/meth injection, electric exhaust cutout, IM heatshield
Old 07-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by Opel
Look, if uve read all my posts I've mentioned that it will help ur stock clutch..now if ur car is heavily modified..a stock clutch isn't the best..I mean I've destroyed them nearly stock..but u install a high performance clutch..the check valve stands in the way of quicker engagements...u don't want a delay at redline engagement..that's just very bad... I've had my ceramic 6 puck disk and 70% clamping force Pressure Plate slip...then I got rid of the check valve and things changed for the better.. There's nothing in between, just ur foot on the clutch pedal and ur pressure plate...the heavier ur PP the quicker and firmer ur engagements..

Get the picture?

Goodluck
I got it, I got it! I'll do it, I'll do it! lol! Thanks!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Green Machine

Ok I had my front L/R CV axles replaced today. I had the shop do the slave cylinder mod as well. So far I can't tell the difference. I will drive on it some more though.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok I had my front L/R CV axles replaced today. I had the shop do the slave cylinder mod as well. So far I can't tell the difference. I will drive on it some more though.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Ryan Christopher

It is possible it is the way you drive. You may not be harsh enough on it to really feel the engagement difference. To really feel it you would have to try and shift as fast as you can to really be able to tell that it is working.

Also, unless you watched them do it, it is possible that they did not remove the check valve. Just a thought.

This all based off of what I have read about the mod, as I have not yet done it. I think I am going to order another slave cylinder and try this.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
My bad Eric. I will still help you on yours.

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
It is possible it is the way you drive. You may not be harsh enough on it to really feel the engagement difference. To really feel it you would have to try and shift as fast as you can to really be able to tell that it is working.

Also, unless you watched them do it, it is possible that they did not remove the check valve. Just a thought.

This all based off of what I have read about the mod, as I have not yet done it. I think I am going to order another slave cylinder and try this.
I agree with you on one thing. I did not really get on it. The car was kind of lagging alittle; maybe due to the new axles needing broken it. Don't quote me though.

I know someone was going to say that. They did the mod. The mechanic showed me the plastic piece. They even gave me the old axles back. They are very honest, or I would not deal with them.

Like I say I will drive on it some more and let you guys know.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Ryan Christopher

My bad Eric. I will still help you on yours.

I agree with you on one thing. I did not really get on it. The car was kind of lagging alittle; maybe due to the new axles needing broken it. Don't quote me though.

I know someone was going to say that. They did the mod. The mechanic showed me the plastic piece. They even gave me the old axles back. They are very honest, or I would not deal with them.

Like I say I will drive on it some more and let you guys know.
Just playing Devils advocate :devilgrin. I was trying to cover several bases.

Not all shops are so honest and the question has to be asked.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Green Machine

I STAND CORRECTED! I just got back from the store. Not sure if my new axles had to break in or the computer had to relearn the mod, my clutch is really gripping now!

Let me tell you! I pull out onto the road from the store parking and kept the car in 1st. Hit the gas then shifted to 2nd close to redline. The car literally went sideways alittle while spinning. ......what the f*ck! Then I ended up at a red light. When I launched at green, all I heard and felt was banging from the dash. So I had to let off to get some grip from the tires. Did a quick shift; next thing I know I'm at 60!

I got to learn how to launch my car all over again, but this shit is sweet!

Oh this mod is crazy!!! Good job Opel!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I STAND CORRECTED! I just got back from the store. Not sure if my new axles had to break in or the computer had to relearn the mod, my clutch is really gripping now!

Let me tell you! I pull out onto the road from the store parking and kept the car in 1st. Hit the gas then shifted to 2nd close to redline. The car literally went sideways alittle while spinning. ......what the f*ck! Then I ended up at a red light. When I launched at green, all I heard and felt was banging from the dash. So I had to let off to get some grip from the tires. Did a quick shift; next thing I know I'm at 60!

I got to learn how to launch my car all over again, but this shit is sweet!

Oh this mod is crazy!!! Good job Opel!
THANK GOD!!!!! lmaooooo

very glad to hear man... finally there's proof in my "hacking the tl" almost 6 year journey....

too bad i didnt join this forum earlier...as i have done this a long time ago.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Green Machine

THANK GOD!!!!! lmaooooo

very glad to hear man... finally there's proof in my "hacking the tl" almost 6 year journey....

too bad i didnt join this forum earlier...as i have done this a long time ago.
Yeah man; you should have been around sooner! Makes me wonder if this would make a difference on the dyno. I'm due to go soon.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah man; you should have been around sooner! Makes me wonder if this would make a difference on the dyno. I'm due to go soon.

no, because there's no shifting involved lol...i mean they shift from low gears to 4th...just to get it rolling...not to be so harsh on the clutch by engaging on 4th directly.... but once they mash the gas pedal for the run...thats it.... once engaged, its engaged...if there's slipping...its not due to ur slave cylinder check valve.

this makes an overall difference however... limiting ur clutch wearing out while driving it on the street, (as well as power being put to the ground without a delay and lag)...so when ya go to the dyno with ur High HP TL...ur clutch wont slip at high revs on the dyno

but simply just imagine how much better it would be with a high performance clutch set up...deleting the dual-stage flywheel... ceramic 4-6 puck unsprung disk...and a heavy pressure plate... lol

Last edited by Opel; 07-23-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Green Machine

no, because there's no shifting involved lol...i mean they shift from low gears to 4th...just to get it rolling...not to be so harsh on the clutch by engaging on 4th directly.... but once they mash the gas pedal for the run...thats it.... once engaged, its engaged...if there's slipping...its not due to ur slave cylinder check valve.

this makes an overall difference however... limiting ur clutch wearing out while driving it on the street, (as well as power being put to the ground without a delay and lag)...so when ya go to the dyno with ur High HP TL...ur clutch wont slip at high revs on the dyno

but simply just imagine how much better it would be with a high performance clutch set up...deleting the dual-stage flywheel... ceramic 4-6 puck unsprung disk...and a heavy pressure plate... lol
That would be great if someone can verify that a good aftermarket clutch will work without issues. Not worried right now since my stock is still good.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

That would be great if someone can verify that a good aftermarket clutch will work without issues. Not worried right now since my stock is still good.
from my sig....would u think i have a stock clutch? lol

i have a 6 puck unsprung ceramic disk...with a 70% over stock PP.... and of course no checkvalve lol...

when i shift... you know that center speaker on top of the dash? lol... the mesh screen pops out

but anyway, yes it grabs hard and quick...after it gets hot, it chatters getting off in first...if thats the feeling u like
Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Green Machine

from my sig....would u think i have a stock clutch? lol

i have a 6 puck unsprung ceramic disk...with a 70% over stock PP.... and of course no checkvalve lol...

when i shift... you know that center speaker on top of the dash? lol... the mesh screen pops out

but anyway, yes it grabs hard and quick...after it gets hot, it chatters getting off in first...if thats the feeling u like
What brand are you running? I'm just going off other members who had bad experiences. It would be nice to have a stable aftermarket clutch for the 3G's.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

What brand are you running? I'm just going off other members who had bad experiences. It would be nice to have a stable aftermarket clutch for the 3G's.
spec stage III+ ceramic 6 puck unsprung disk, and PP (stock flywheel)

i got that at stock SC boost.... now eventually i will have to go with a heavier PP...but we will see...right now its good
Old 07-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't race but I do like my car to be responsive. Will this mod do anything for me on my daily driver? I'm usually shifting at 3k rpm and once in awhile I like to test it out at 5k rpm.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by piggydog
I don't race but I do like my car to be responsive. Will this mod do anything for me on my daily driver? I'm usually shifting at 3k rpm and once in awhile I like to test it out at 5k rpm.
if u barely beat on the car...dont bother...if u read the thread...i think ive mentioned everything 5 times each...explained what it does and what its for at all angles...

it depends on how fast u shift...u may never tell the difference....but like u said, once in a while u take up the RPM range...ehhhh, i wouldn't bother
The following users liked this post:
IntactACK (06-14-2013)
Old 07-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Ryan Christopher

Got the slave cylinder on Saturday. Have not had a chance to mess with it yet. Hope to get some time this week. Still have several projects to work on and awaiting the shifter bushings. I am going to look at it tonight and try and remove the check valve from the unit. Very interested in trying this out, as I was used to a stage 3 clutch and light weight flywheel in my Prelude.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanna do this too, is it difficult? How do I bleed the clutch? I'm down to try anything I just need good instructions. My brother did it on his 135i and he said "heeeells yeah!"
Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gatdammit
I wanna do this too, is it difficult? How do I bleed the clutch? I'm down to try anything I just need good instructions. My brother did it on his 135i and he said "heeeells yeah!"
its not hard man....bleeding the clutch, its easier when you got another person...pretty much u level off the fluid and pump the clutch about 10 times...and u hold the pedal all the way down,,,while holding the pedal down, you gotta open up the bleed off valve and let the fluid squirt out, the u tighten it back up, and pump the clutch pedal again...10 more times...hold it down, open the bleeder, let the pressure squirt out...u keep doing this until you get full pedal...do this while maintaining sufficient fluid in the reservoir....then go back and drive
Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM
I got the Shifts

opel. have you looked into the flywheel for the accords. little known fact is that honda sells a non-dual mass flywheel for the v6 accords in case customers dont want to pay a high price.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

opel. have you looked into the flywheel for the accords. little known fact is that honda sells a non-dual mass flywheel for the v6 accords in case customers dont want to pay a high price.
actually no i haven't....which year accords? funny thing is when i did my motor, i got a new clutch, disk and PP...i had to get a new FW as well, and didnt have time to search for a lightweight one...so i picked up an accord flywheel from honda. this was done from my friend who works at honda lol.... i wish he'd told me, or maybe he just didnt know.... i absolutely hate the dual-mass.... i almost had it welded lol... the messed up part is...u cant resurface a stock FW either... i had heat spots all over it...had to get a new one
Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Ryan Christopher

I was able to go through last night and take some pictures as I did this mod. I will add some more to this to help others out that wish to do this. Once I have some time to install the SC, I will take pictures at that time to help everyone out as well.

Thanks again Opel!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
so I am a little confused...
If I have a 04 TL is there a check valve?

from a previous post it stated the 04 TL part is the same as the 03 CL-S part which does not have the check valve

Is this correct?

No point in buying the part if my car is already tweaked
And if it does not have a check valve then is there something else that has to be done?
The following users liked this post:
UA6-MT (06-04-2020)
Old 07-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by FCVadi
so I am a little confused...
If I have a 04 TL is there a check valve?

from a previous post it stated the 04 TL part is the same as the 03 CL-S part which does not have the check valve

Is this correct?

No point in buying the part if my car is already tweaked
And if it does not have a check valve then is there something else that has to be done?
I thought the same thing. The 03 cl and the 04 tl has the same part number. But my car had the check value. You can check for yourself.

Quick Reply: A-113: Removal of Slave Cylinder check valve!!!