05 6MT TL Rebuild

Old 02-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
05 6MT TL Rebuild

Hello fellow TL lovers and Acura admirers.
I’m a new memeber here and was not sure where to post my thread, so if it is in the wrong place, I wont be butt hurt if some who DOES know, moves this post to the appropriate area.
My affair with the TL started back in 06 in high school, when I first saw the 3G TL and it was love at first sight. I decided that I WILL have that car as soon as I got a job.
Fast forward to April of 08.
I had a 99 Honda Accord Coupe that kept on having a new oil leak, even after all the seals and gaskets have been replaced, so I got fed up, went to the local Honda dealer and traded the Accord in for an 05 6MT TL. I bought it with roughly 36k miles in mint condition, and have not looked back since.
It was the first car that I bought on my own and from day 1 she was treated like a queen.
Mods started happening almost instantly. Windows were tinted to 20% 3 days later and an Injen CAI was installed 2 weeks after the purchase. The worst mod was me, being on a budget at the time, I cut the springs, instead of byuing coilovers or lowering springs (dont ever go that route) and immediately regretted it. 6 months later the cut springs started sagging and the ride became unbearable, so I purchased some H&R Sport lowering springs, Skunk2 upper control arms up front and ACP rear camber arms to make sure my camber was adjusted along with the lowering.
The ride quality was instantly better, and the car stopped bouncing uncontrollably in corners and on bumps.
Next, I opted for the lightweight Underdrive pulley by UR. I have heard many mixed theories and debates on that mod, but, today my TL has just under 195k miles and I have never had an issue with the car itself. EVER.
Other mods on this car are RV6 high flow cats with a catless RV6 J-Pipe, 08 Type S struts, CT rear sway bar, CT short shifter, Type S rear taillights, Type S rear side markers, A-Spec lip kit all the way around, 07+ front bumper, fogs and grilles, aftermarket headlights with white side reflectors, custom paint job, and last but not least, staggered wheel setup using Varrstoen ES2 wheels with Continental DWS tires.
The main reason I still have this car, is simple. Its reliability and its looks. 10 years after they stopped manufacting this car, it still looks good inside and out. Many friends and family members of mine had many different cars in the same time period (mostly european cars with me being a rushki) all have replaced at least 2-3 or even more cars within the last almost 11 years. I am alittle different, as I tend to be a little sentimental with all my things, but if something gives me too much headache, I will replace it too. This car, is simply so reliable that I had no reason to want to replace it.
Let’s move on to the fun stuff.
Roughly at 191k miles I let a good friend of mine drive the car. He has not driven a manual car for some time and we just decided to remember the good ‘ol days when all we drove had a manual trans in it. He ends up mis-shifting. Put it in 3rd instead of 5th near the top of 4th gear and, you guessed it, bent my exhaust valves. I couldn’t be too mad at him since I was in the passenger seat and was ok with him putting her through the paces. Besides, I have had a bug in my head for a while about doing some work on the heads to extract a little more power from the engine anyway, so what better excuse than bent valves huh?
This is where this thread really begins. The rebuilding of my engine and transmission. I will post a new thread to continue the details of the rebuild.
The following 2 users liked this post by seroshka1:
teh CL (02-03-2019), ThatBlackTL (03-28-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 855 Likes on 703 Posts
Subscribed! This guy sounds like he’s accually going to go through with it!
Old 02-03-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
You should consider doing dropping in a J35A6 from a 05' Odyssey (LX/EX models only) while you have it all apart. It's a direct drop in and you most definitely won't regret it. Those motors are beyond affordable as well.

Here's some info on the swap, did the same swap on my 05' 6spd..

J35A6 Swap info

Good luck either way..
The following users liked this post:
2005_AcuraTL_Owner (05-09-2023)
Old 02-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by teh CL
You should consider doing dropping in a J35A6 from a 05' Odyssey (LX/EX models only) while you have it all apart. It's a direct drop in and you most definitely won't regret it. Those motors are beyond affordable as well.

J35A6 Swap info

Good luck either way..

what he said. Or slap some j35 or j37 heads on it and call it a day
Old 02-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Are you planning on just rebuilding the motor for reliability or going with the Forced Induction route? Either case, I would like to see where you end up.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Subscribing to this, similar story starting with a 93 accord, and never left the honda/acura series after that, but have a 3.2 04 that needs some love in restoration both engine and transmission before I swap all the parts from my previous J build. Excited to see what you do, and maybe put in my 2c from past restorations of these engines. VERY curious about the transmission rebuild, I feel like these transmissions could hold 4-500 with ease and no wear with the right upgrade parts during a rebuild but have no idea where to start.

A valve job, new valves, new valve stems, decking the block, and swapping the cams to mdx hollow cams, and swapping the valve springs for TL-S springs is what I ended up doing when I bent my valves. I also ported and polished the head, but that's overkill for anyone who doesn't port all the time. I felt a SIGNIFICANT change swapping those heads back on to even just a 3.0 with some extra tuning and love. Heads are the one area you really get what you pay for.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by oraclem20
Subscribing to this, similar story starting with a 93 accord, and never left the honda/acura series after that, but have a 3.2 04 that needs some love in restoration both engine and transmission before I swap all the parts from my previous J build. Excited to see what you do, and maybe put in my 2c from past restorations of these engines. VERY curious about the transmission rebuild, I feel like these transmissions could hold 4-500 with ease and no wear with the right upgrade parts during a rebuild but have no idea where to start.

A valve job, new valves, new valve stems, decking the block, and swapping the cams to mdx hollow cams, and swapping the valve springs for TL-S springs is what I ended up doing when I bent my valves. I also ported and polished the head, but that's overkill for anyone who doesn't port all the time. I felt a SIGNIFICANT change swapping those heads back on to even just a 3.0 with some extra tuning and love. Heads are the one area you really get what you pay for.

swap in j37a1 heads, runners, injectors and go.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Safety Car

Hey Seroshka serduchka, you live in Washington/PDX? Let’s get together sometime. I’ll show you my builds!
Old 03-21-2019, 01:07 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
Hey Seroshka serduchka, you live in Washington/PDX? Let’s get together sometime. I’ll show you my builds!
yes I do in fact =] why do I get the distinct feeling that I might know you?
Old 03-21-2019, 01:11 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry I haven’t been as active as I would have liked to be, but I went with J35 heads with a mild P&P. I must say that after the 2k mile break-in period, I am very well satisfied with the result.
I have yet to put it on the dyno, but my “seat-of-the-pants” dyno is telling me shes a bit snappier and has an overall better pull throughout the entire rev range.
I will post a more detailed rebuild process with pictures soon.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:23 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by seroshka1
Sorry I haven’t been as active as I would have liked to be, but I went with J35 heads with a mild P&P. I must say that after the 2k mile break-in period, I am very well satisfied with the result.
I have yet to put it on the dyno, but my “seat-of-the-pants” dyno is telling me shes a bit snappier and has an overall better pull throughout the entire rev range.
I will post a more detailed rebuild process with pictures soon.
Which 3.5 heads did you go with? I ask because the part number for the head on the J35A6 is the exact same as what was on your J32A3.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:46 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Which 3.5 heads did you go with? I ask because the part number for the head on the J35A6 is the exact same as what was on your J32A3.

I used the J35A8 complete heads off of a 2007 Type S. I randomly came accross a complete engine with a busted block because the car got wrecked badly and the passenger side engine mount broke off the block, taking the water pump with it. Couldn’t pass up a deal on a complete Type S engine with heads and cams for $450, so I went that route, even after spending about 12 hours P&Ping my original heads.
By the way, if anyone is interested, I have my original heads that I P&P’d that have been just laying there. Highest bidder takes em.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:54 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mhtut83
Are you planning on just rebuilding the motor for reliability or going with the Forced Induction route? Either case, I would like to see where you end up.
I went with the reliability route using OEM or better parts, but while I was rebuilding everything I figured I might as well open everythin up a bit for a little extra oomph. I’m a bit of an “anti forced induction” guy. I love fine tuning NA motors, but that said, I do thoroughly enjoy driving/riding in turboed/supercharged cars, but I dont like to own and maintain them 😄
Old 03-22-2019, 01:57 AM
Cruisin'

By the way, here is a shot of her shortly after I finished the rebuild
Old 03-22-2019, 03:13 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
What a beauty!

Glad to see a loyal 3G TL owner join us here on AZ! Hmmm.... Are you related to this guy, BTW? @justnspace
Old 03-22-2019, 08:51 AM
Safety Car

yes I do in fact =] why do I get the distinct feeling that I might know you?
Perhaps because we are both Russian(to build our cars).

Your car looks beautiful! Let’s get together for a show this summer.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 03-22-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Safety Car

By the way, here is a shot of her shortly after I finished the rebuild
Is that a silver 3G behind your black TL??
Old 03-22-2019, 04:41 PM
Null and proud of it

I see it too! 👀

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 03-22-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Look
Old 03-22-2019, 06:02 PM
Cruisin'

Is that a silver 3G behind your black TL??
hahah no. That would be the silver bullett...
Old 03-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Cruisin'

Perhaps. What do you dd?
Old 03-22-2019, 08:57 PM
Null and proud of it

Nice!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts

In Russia... car build you.

Funny you said that I remember watching this guy YT channel he rebuilding the RL (aka Legend) in Russia lol, he using a KB2 3.7 motor and transmission (6spd) in a KB1 shell.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:35 PM
Cruisin'

So anyway, I guess I’ll go into the rebuild a bit.
I got the idea to post about my rebuild when I was already on the “putting together” phase 😁 so forgive me for not having pix of the “conditions found”.
What I can say for sure is that when I popped the heads off my block, I was not expecting what I found. I WAS expecting to find bent valves and marks on pistons where the valves hit them. But I WAS NOT expecting to find cylinder #4 to have gouges in the walls. Gouges so bad, it looked like that cylinder was oil starved for a long time. The piston AND the cylinder wall was very badly worn and I thoughy I wouldnt be able to save my original block. That scared the living hell out of me because I always made it a point to change my oil at 4k miles. Religiously. But then, I also drove her like I stole ‘er about 70% of the time 😁
I was also very surprised at the condition of the rod and especially the main bearings. Maincap bearings had literally 0 signs of use. Not 1 scratch line or even a “shadowy” texture that most used bearings show. I really wish that I had thought of writing about the rebuild earlier in the process. I was really tmpted to save them and actually reuse them, but in my mind I was committed to do a 100% brand new rebuild so my OCD mind didn’t allow me to reuse them 🤪 I’m really anal when it comes to certain things. Like, my cars and my guns.
Anywho. The rod bearings. Those showed signs of use, but normal use. Easily had 100k more in them if not more.
Keep in mind, as you are reading this, that I bought this car as a birthday present for myself shortly after I turned 19. The first 3 months of ownership, the car “idled” at 3k rpm and was constantly above 4k while driving. As any 19 yo, I admit, I drove like someone was after me everywhere I went. But I always took good care of the car by way of using only Chevron gas, put fuel system cleaners into every 3rd tank of gas (literally had a bottle in the glove box and trunk AT ALL times) and changed my oil at 4k like clockwork with Castrol Edge.
At 193k miles, looking inside the engine, I’m certainly pleased with Acuras build quality. I’m not even surprised to see many TLs out ther with 250k+ miles anymore, their auto trannies are the only thing that is having issues it seems, although I went through 2nd gear 2 times now on my 6MT.
So, here are some pix of the assembly process and some P&P progress pix.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 PM
Cruisin'

I just remembered that I saved all the original pistons.
guess which one is #4 😄
I forgot to include the fact that cyl #4 AND #5 were bad. But 4 was “a bit” worse.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:55 PM
Cruisin'

I just remembered that I saved all the original pistons.
guess which one is #4 😄
I forgot to include the fact that cyl #4 AND #5 were bad. But 4 was “a bit” worse.

All the pictures of the piston skirts are taken from the exhaust side and it seems that cylinders 1-3 all show “normal” wear and cylinders 4-6 are all excessively worn.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:25 PM
Cruisin'

Weather was beautiful today, so here are some fresh shots
Old 03-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Null and proud of it

Wow! Well check that out!

Your NBP paint looks like CGP! Nice, man!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:45 PM
Resident Smart@ss

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I also thought that sexy car looked like CBP gleaming like a goddess in the sunlight. (Like my new main squeeze, Roxanne.) I'm feeling those wheels, man. They remind me of the set a friend of mine had on her '06 TSX for a minute there.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ProfessorFunk
I also thought that sexy car looked like CBP gleaming like a goddess in the sunlight. (Like my new main squeeze, Roxanne.) I'm feeling those wheels, man. They remind me of the set a friend of mine had on her '06 TSX for a minute there.
Wow! Well check that out!

This is a completely custom color. I wanted a carbon look. I think my cousin nailed it 😉
Old 03-24-2019, 11:21 PM
Null and proud of it

My RDX is Carbon Gray. This looks a little darker and more metallic. I absolutely LOVE it!

May I ask, what color was the car originally?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:45 PM
Cruisin'

My RDX is Carbon Gray. This looks a little darker and more metallic. I absolutely LOVE it!

May I ask, what color was the car originally?

I believe the original color was called Anthracite Metallic which is like a gun metal color, but it had too much green in it so after 5 years of ownership I got bored with it and decided to give it a more carbon look
Old 03-24-2019, 11:52 PM
Cruisin'

By the way, I need help wiring up my fogs.
I can do body work and mechanical work all day, every day, but I’m completely retarded when it comes to electrical stuff.
I read post after post and even watched vids on various sites, and STILL those fogs wont light up.
I bought all wiring harnesses from Acura, ran the wires like the multiple write ups said to. Nothing. Frustrated AF at this point.
If anyone has good electrical knowledge and has done these fogs in the SW Washington area, hmu.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ProfessorFunk

Thank you. These are Varrstoen ES221s. Its also a staggered setup with 18 x 8.5” wide fronts and 18 x 9.5” rears
Old 03-25-2019, 12:25 AM
Null and proud of it

I believe the original color was called Anthracite Metallic which is like a gun metal color, but it had too much green in it so after 5 years of ownership I got bored with it and decided to give it a more carbon look

Anthracite is a really pretty color. One of my favorites! Most grays are dark, so AM stands out a bit. For 07, the TL got CGP, then changed to PMM for 2008.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts

J35A6 Swap info

Good luck either way..
Considering doing the same to my Accord if it ever needs a motor. But at 252k miles, oil level still doesn't move off the full line with 7500 mile synthetic oil change intervals. That bump of 40 ft-lb torque would be nice though.
teh CL (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 12:12 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Considering doing the same to my Accord if it ever needs a motor. But at 252k miles, oil level still doesn't move off the full line with 7500 mile synthetic oil change intervals. That bump of 40 ft-lb torque would be nice though.

@Scottwax I want to PM you about the Accord one day and learn some more about the 7G.
Scottwax (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 08:30 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
There's a high probabilty that you wouldn't regret it..

Hard to justify pulling an otherwise healthy motor though..
Old 04-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Safety Car

He sold it! I thought we were both for the 3G Motherland.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:41 PM
Cruisin'

He sold it! I thought we were both for the 3G Motherland.
Yes indeed. I thought I’d see what the market is doing out there and posted it. Someone from Seattle saw it and offered pretty much full asking price for it after test driving and looking at it in person. I’m gonna miss this thing. 11 years of ownership and that ‘ol gal never broke down on me or let me down. But I guess it is time to move on 😊
Old 05-09-2023, 05:11 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J35A6 Swap info

Good luck either way..
Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a 2005 TL 3.2. The transmission is dead. Mileage is 275k. Engine should be ok. I was told a JDM 3.0 engine and transmission combo will work as a replacement. However, after installation, some issues were discovered. It looks like the transmission is bad or not working or not communicating with the computer. Additionally, the Japanese 3.0 vtec components are not in the same location as the North American 3.2 vtec components. Sorry for the ignorance, but I don't know the exact term - maybe it is the solenoids and sensors? So it seems the 3.0 is not the best swap.

Long story short, after reading this threat about the J35A6 from a Honda Odyssey, is a J35A6 better and preferred? This is a 3.5 engine, correct?

Apologies if this question is in the wrong forum. First post now. Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 6MT TL Rebuild